It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida governor to impose drug testing on welfare recipients...will get rich out of it

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

This thread has nothing to do with failed banks and bail outs. If you would like to start a thread on that then by all means. I know how hard it is being poor. I've lived in my car and in the attic of where I use to work but the only one that could change that was me. The only helping hand someone is guaranteed is the one you hold out in front of you. If you can't afford to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth then you definitely can't afford drugs. The government is only hurting people by making them so dependent. If someone can pass a government drug test then they can pass one to get a job.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Here's a noble idea, quit sucking on the governments tit.

It is not the govenments tit, it is our tits.

And mine are getting pretty damn sore.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright Also, the money isn't free, so they aren't getting free money. They have to complete (depending upon the age of the kids) a minimum of 87-130 hours of community service in exchange for that cash. Most inform me that the cash isn't even worth it.

I didn't know this about Florida. I'm from Massachusetts. I don't think people up here have to work for it.

I guess the point of this thread is about the governor making money off the drug tets. I'd say, pass the bill, but make his wife's company off-limits. That'd fry his arse!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Basically, I think that people on welfare are entitled to everything everyone else has, and that no-one can be their judge.

It is a hard road in this world - some people make it, some don't.

We are not the judge.

Personally I'm tired of supporting them. I say yank the free ride and let them work for it like the rest of us have to. I don't get anything for free, and I have worked for everything I have. I am not in the business of giving it away just because.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightbreed67

Originally posted by Elostone
This is awesome, in my opinion
I had to pass a drug test for my job
I am subject to random testing by my employer
I am sick to death of paying taxes to support the gang banging drug dealer on welfare who:
-commits all the heineous crimes in the area
-sleeps all day
-sells drugs to the kids in the community
-keeps his crack whore girlfriend knocked up so they can get more assistance
all on MY tax dollar.

Simple solution: Dont wanna get drug tested? GET OFF WELFARE!

I agree with you 110%

AMEN BROTHER!

Haha RIGHT ON!!! Oh and don't forget they're also on Medicaid because they haven't worked a single day in their
lives and get free healthcare too. Oh and the food stamps.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

What agency are you workin for? None of my families did any community service. I agree that the people who really need it, like the single mom with 2 kids, dont get what they need. Have you seen the statistics of alcoholism, drug addiction and aids amongst those on government assistance?? I will find the figures and post them. This raises the question, if a person with no job, how are they funding these habits? Well I'm not naive, they do what they have to do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The money being spent on 2 wars is YOUR money too!

And yet, you're complaining about THIS?

Get your priorities straight people! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE NAPALM!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by DZAG Wright Also, the money isn't free, so they aren't getting free money. They have to complete (depending upon the age of the kids) a minimum of 87-130 hours of community service in exchange for that cash. Most inform me that the cash isn't even worth it.

I didn't know this about Florida. I'm from Massachusetts. I don't think people up here have to work for it.

I guess the point of this thread is about the governor making money off the drug tets. I'd say, pass the bill, but make his wife's company off-limits. That'd fry his arse!

Every state was forced (in 1996) to reform their welfare laws. Every state now has a time limit (usually 48 months lifetime) that a person can receive cash assistance. The days of someone receiving a check their entire life ended in 1996.

Every state has to submit a plan to congress every two years outlining what they will have the peope receiving cash assistance do in exchange for the money

Concerning the thread, I agree that the governor shouldn't be allowed to benefit in any way from it. I have to check around the office and see if everyone was aware of this. Our general attitude is that it wouldn't last too long anyway. As i said, this isn't the first time someone passed this Bill. The last time it passed, it was realized real soon how much of a waste of time it was and was retracted.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BioStatistic

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Basically, I think that people on welfare are entitled to everything everyone else has, and that no-one can be their judge.

It is a hard road in this world - some people make it, some don't.

We are not the judge.

Personally I'm tired of supporting them. I say yank the free ride and let them work for it like the rest of us have to. I don't get anything for free, and I have worked for everything I have. I am not in the business of giving it away just because.

Didn't know you personally was supporting anyone. I'm aware that a percentage of your taxes go towards public assistance, as does everyone else. HOW BOUT THIS! Even the people who receive welfare are supporting themselves too...I mean they pay taxes also.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

this is one time i fell is a good idea to many drugs are being bought with our tax paying money they need to stop the ones who are doing it

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by john1287

Got any proof of this or are you just parroting the talking points on this issue?

Seriously, WAKE THE # UP PEOPLE!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude

What agency are you workin for? None of my families did any community service. I agree that the people who really need it, like the single mom with 2 kids, dont get what they need. Have you seen the statistics of alcoholism, drug addiction and aids amongst those on government assistance?? I will find the figures and post them. This raises the question, if a person with no job, how are they funding these habits? Well I'm not naive, they do what they have to do.

You live in Florida...I assure you your families had to do community service or else their benefits would be turned off and they would be what's called SANCTIONED. When someone gets sanctioned ALL of their benefits are turned off depending upon the age of the children.

I'd say the statistics of alcoholism, drug addiction, and aids is comparable with the rest of society. If anything, most alcoholics/drug addicts don't even know they can apply for the assistance. I'm constantly telling the bum outside Walmart that instead of begging for food they can go apply for food stamps and feed themselves. They usually tell me they didn't know this.

A person with no job usually has no rent or car note or any other job so whatever money they do happen upon can be spent on drugs or alcohol.

As someone who has dealt in drugs, I can tell you that most business came from happily employed people.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by jiggerj

Probably off topic, but I've always said we need to pull our people out of the Middle East. America always comes out the bad guy when we try to lead by force, instead of leading by example.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I see people every day in my neighborhood and others selling them to buy pot and more. So i dont need to prove to anyone when i see it and if some people cant see it get out of the house and look around hell I live in a good neighborhood and its every where. Hell i am sorry you cant see it and yes I dont like our goverment getting into our lives any more then the next person but somethings need to be stoped.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by jiggerj

Your probably the only person on this thread that has made the most sense.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

You do not get it, tax payers dollars will be used to implement and enforce this program.

Welfare recipients will not lose benefits for drug use, they will be required to attend expensive drug rehabilitation and long term monitoring.

Who wins? the drug testing and rehab service owners and shareholder/investors that will be neck deep in government checks for services provided to a new customer base guaranteed to them by law.

Who loses? many, most notably the tax payer that will pay for all of this.

If you think this is about saving money or cleaning up the welfare system you really need to educate yourself on the way the world works.

It is my opinion that the focus in this case should not be on the welfare recipient but rather the corporate politician that is siphoning tax payer dollars to his industry for personal gain.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Concerning the thread, I agree that the governor shouldn't be allowed to benefit in any way from it. I have to check around the office and see if everyone was aware of this. Our general attitude is that it wouldn't last too long anyway. As i said, this isn't the first time someone passed this Bill. The last time it passed, it was realized real soon how much of a waste of time it was and was retracted.

Maybe the governor at the time wasn't corrupt and didn't own the drug-test company

And maybe the governor at the time had the best interests of the state and it's citizens in mind (which is his job), and could see that by continuing to pay welfare, but now with the added costs of the thousands of drug tests, this could quickly cripple the state - unless he could fund it by raking in revenue from elsewhere, the taxpayer? Maybe he decided to scrap it because the taxpaying citizens are already being squeezed enough.

Which makes me ask: With what money is this present governor planning to fund these drug tests?

Anyone know?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You may have missed the larger point. The Governor set up this deal so his (or his wife's) company would profit from the tests. The Governor is not supposed to profit from holding public office. He should not be drug testing anyone without probable cause for doing so.

Your seeming contempt for the poor buggers who have to be on welfare angered me. I'd be willing to bet that a few months out of work would find you in line at the welfare office with them.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred

It is my opinion that the focus in this case should not be on the welfare recipient but rather the corporate politician that is siphoning tax payer dollars to his industry for personal gain.

This is exactly what this post is about, a politician passing a law that his wife's private company will make money from. It is about a corrupt governor using the emotional issue of welfare recipients on drugs to pass a law that will make his wife and himself lots of money at tax payers expense. You people who derail this post are so easily tricked! Its unbelievable to me that so many of you can't cut through the propaganda to see this.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Mandatory drug testing by either a private employer or the government violates the 4th & 5th Amendments to the U. S. Constitution IMHO

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join