It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida governor to impose drug testing on welfare recipients...will get rich out of it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Thank you.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

The money like all of our fiat money was created through a loan to start with - a loan you pay tax on and lose money thorough inflation on. Your future children and their children inherit this debt and have to pay exponentially more to pay it off, even though there is not enough money in the system to cover the interest on the loan let alone the loan iteself.

At the end of the day you, the person, the one who created all this money to begin with through your signiture get screwed either way, you pay for this system in more ways than you can imagine. It is an ongoing clycle where the majority must always support the minorities greed. All wrapped in a corrupt but legalised banking system where there is more debt constantly created than can be repaid by design.

To take it further our society intentionally or unintentionally overprotects us and babies us, constantly restricting our behaviour and options available. We can not cross the road without the right light, We can not choose to not where our safety belt... Yes people die from not wearing a safety belt - In science I learnt this is called natural selection. We can not even choose to save or not for ourselves - we have mandatory retirement schemes enforced at times when people are in debt - what is the point of saving when you have debt which has a higher interest rate than the savings.

IMO leave it to natural selection

Scenario: Outcome - OD:
Druggy Dies from OD. future generations less probability of existing.

Scenario: Outcome - Abuse:
Druggy body takes damage, shortens life span, future generations less probability of existing.

Scenario: Outcome - Poor:
Druggy Malnourished, future generations less probability of existing.

Scenario: Outcome - Drugy was on to something:
Druggy Enlightened, future generations increase probability to exist and have increased chance of enlightenment.

edit on 11-5-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
I hope the people who wade in here arguing this is a good idea can rationalize the cost it would take to do this.

At roughly 45-50$ per test it isn't cheap, and that's only a standard drug test that only covers a handful of substances.

Notice that no one for this so far in this thread can fulfill my request.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Deduct it from their welfare check
2nd

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I hope the people who wade in here arguing this is a good idea can rationalize the cost it would take to do this.

At roughly 45-50$ per test it isn't cheap, and that's only a standard drug test that only covers a handful of substances.

Sorry, but my gut reaction tells me this is a good thing. People should not be drug addicts or alcoholics if they are seeking any type of public assistance - not one hit off a joint or a beer. Millions of dollars would be saved from those that would fail such a test, and this would cover the cost of the test.

Also, too TOO many times have I been behind someone at a grocery store where the person uses food stamps to buy nothing but Coke and chips and cake... And, too TOO many times have these people been overweight to downright obese, and teaching their kids how to eat all the wrong things.

Yeah, we should have less government for those surviving on their own, but those on government assistance should be told what they can and cannot feed their kids, and that any type of addiction will not be supported.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Why is everyone in this thread banging on about people on welfare buying drugs?

I thought the OP was highlighting the fact that a governor and his wife will rake in millions because their company will be doing the forced drug testing.

This governor doesn't care one jot about the tax payer. His motive behind mandatory drug testing is purely his own financial gain.

Blatant corruption.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by byteshertz

But if you are taking money from someone else, you take it on their terms that you agree too. And if you are on welfare, you are spending taxpayer money and if you are buying drugs you are spending tax payer money on drugs. Doesn't really matter cause it all works out in the wash, what I find disgusting about this argument is that people feel they are entitled to free money regardless of circumstance. America is on the wrong path it is unsustainable.

How do you proove they were not given the drugs for free or as a gift, or had a one off at a party - what happened to innocent until proven guilty.
You speak of taxpayers right to not have to hand the money over to the druggy - what about the tax payers right to not have to pay for the drug tests which will only catch mostly pot smokers because most of the others drugs clear the system within days.
If you ask me you should not even be aloud to drug test someone without their personal authority unless they have placed someone elses life in danger.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Next on the list of ``behavior control by the government``... anyone who drinks alcohol will not receive welfare...

Or vote democrat, or doesn't own a GM car or is homosexual...

If you start controlling people lives like that, there's no end to it.

What about... giving only welfare to those who are disabled or to kids? All the others can find a job.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Sorry, but my gut reaction tells me this is a good thing. People should not be drug addicts or alcoholics if they are seeking any type of public assistance - not one hit off a joint or a beer. Millions of dollars would be saved from those that would fail such a test, and this would cover the cost of the test.

I think you're missing the point here...

Nobody is going to argue that welfare recipients should be using drugs (with the obvious exception of marijuana for medical purposes - but that's a different debate altogether).

However, this is a blatant example of a governor who has run on the principles of small government, imposing big government on his constituents. It's a complete hypocrisy and throws away all of the ideals that the Tea Party supposedly stands for.

Not to mention the personal gains that this governor will make off of this law. It's just another example of a politician using his position to line his pockets instead of focusing on what's best for his state. In case you are unaware, Florida has one of the highest crime rates in the country, a terrible unemployment problem, and our economy is in the tank. There are literally hundreds of things that Rick Scott should be worrying about instead of imposing senseless legislation like this.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone

Deduct it from their welfare check
2nd

So because some people may be using money given by the state to buy drugs, everyone receiving money from the state (read, everyone elses money) should be spent on testing every single person applying for welfare.

And this will achieve what? People not buying drugs with welfare money? And the cost is what?

With recent figures, you have 18.5 million people in Florida and 0.7 out of 100 people are on welfare. Rough math in my head, if right, is about 84,000 people on welfare in Florida.

If all of these people received a drug test, assuming it's just a piss test, it would cost roughly 4.2 million dollars.

Now tell me, do you think close to 4.2 million dollars are being spent by welfare recipients in the state of Florida on drugs?

I mean please tell me if you really think it is worth that.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
This is awesome, in my opinion
I had to pass a drug test for my job
I am subject to random testing by my employer
I am sick to death of paying taxes to support the gang banging drug dealer on welfare who:
-commits all the heineous crimes in the area
-sleeps all day
-sells drugs to the kids in the community
-keeps his crack whore girlfriend knocked up so they can get more assistance
all on MY tax dollar.

Simple solution: Dont wanna get drug tested? GET OFF WELFARE!

LOL Say what? Drug Dealers on Welfare? hmmm hmm Where are you from? cause the Drug Dealers that are known and that I know arent on welfare, Why would they be on Welfare in the first place when they make more money then what Welfare gives off..

And you cant compare a JOB with a PUBLIC SERVICE... a JOB is a JOB, its more risk while working so Drug test no problem but I also have a problem with Drug Test are the workplace, Who are they to tell me what not to take on my free time? while drug test is required because a lot are morons that would go to work on some hardcore drug, even liquor and could cause problems.......

"I am sick to death of paying taxes to support the gang banging drug dealer on welfare who:
-commits all the heineous crimes in the area
-sleeps all day
-sells drugs to the kids in the community
-keeps his crack whore girlfriend knocked up so they can get more assistance"

How much more ignorant can you get?

What you mentioned above applies to ANYONE, even YOU! but its only your opinion, which means really nothing but just an opinion....... same way u would feel about my opinions.

The drug problem isnt going away just cause of Drug tests, and What you think these people on Welfare are going to do once they are off Welfare uh? Dont care what nationality,where you came from, How much money you have,etc,etc but on once there's no help or things are rough for a person who cant get back on his feet then guess what buddy?! They would fall into a life of crime, robbery, killing, drugs, the whole nine because things are just so screwed up

If you people have a problem with it, why not make Drugs legal and have the proper services for people who want to get off so they can get back into society. Stop the Drug on War BS, stop the people who profit from these troubles..

In order to fix this issue, there's a lottttttttt more issue that need to be fixed first before all of these problems can go away and help educate people more..

America is being dumbed down and this is why all of this is happening. Some people arent capable to see the bull# that is going on.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
A fair few of the posts I read here show me how many morons there are voting, Drug testing for anything other than on the day is very wrong, should you be punished for having a few beers on Friday night yeh right.

The governor is corrupt and you only worry about those on welfare, or it happens to me boo hoo, so they should get it to, get real Cinderella, drug testing for anything else's but the day is biased and discriminatory it should be treated like alcohol and only conducted for the day like a breath test is.

Get real I suppose you think they would be better in prisons making the crime empire rich. You are really pathetic no wonder so many want 2012 to be real. Welfare and people who do not work are a fact of life. Wake up from your shallow greedy pathetic existence, you are the same people who slime up to the rich regardless of who they stole it from. Narrow minded thick brain washed scum is all I can say to those who have a problem with welfare recipients.
edit on 11-5-2011 by marsend because: typos and toned down a bit

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Personally I think most welfare should be cut off. I understand it is important for people with severe disabilities that can never live a normal life. But the ones who can live a normal life are more likely the ones here complaining about having to do drug tests to basically receive free money, you people are disgusting and pathetic.
edit on 11-5-2011 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I dont care if people want to use drugs. That is their perogative.

What I take issue with is the Welfare program in general.
I am tired of paying taxes to support able bodied people who are just too lazy to go to work.
Period.
As for the disabled, there are other programs for that, namely SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, etc
My sister is disabled but she is not on welfare
I have been unemployed and poor in the past.
But I never wanted or expected my government to carry me.
I have never been on welfare, but I have been homeless.
I would be ashamed to be a burden to society, frankly
I would rather work and pull my OWN weight
ETA calling me ignorant for expressing a point of view that does not agree with yours, simply sounds like a statement from a drug addled mind

edit on 11-5-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Laughable the poor people on welfare is all I can say, You lot are amusing you don't mind paying over inflated salaries and for corrupt officials to lie and mis appropriate and or waste your public monies, but you cry about those on the welfare. May you all live in interesting times from this day forward!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Why can't they just prove that a person asking for welfare has drugs in their system?

Whats wrong with that?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

They cannot see that mandatory drug testing will put a further strain on the taxpayer

Anyone testing positive doesn't get their welfare stopped, it is still paid out, but just paid to someone else for them.

So, not only will the taxpayer be forced to continue footing the welfare bill as before, but they will now also have to bear the cost of the tests. Well done! You shot yourselves in the foot

The governor aint so daft though is he? A very happy man

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

They cannot see that mandatory drug testing will put a further strain on the taxpayer

Anyone testing positive doesn't get their welfare stopped, it is still paid out, but just paid to someone else for them.

So, not only will the taxpayer be forced to continue footing the welfare bill as before, but they will now also have to bear the cost of the tests. Well done! You shot yourselves in the foot

The governor aint so daft though is he? A very happy man

I roughed out some numbers above. Roughly 4.2 million dollars for all of the people on welfare. That's just one test for each person.

How often will they get retested? Will it be random? Think of the jobs that would be made just to manage all of this nonsense (cushy pensions and all). Forget the fact that retest after retest is another subsequent 4.2 million dollars. And don't forget, times are rough. The number of people on welfare everywhere will only increase.

Man, look at all of these inconvenient facts and numbers! Sure is convenient that no one thus far that has posted in favor of this has commented on all this and how it's justified in the end. Hell, I bet by the time this thread dies or if it hits page 20, no one will have commented on it. And why is that? Because the people on this forum are stupid.

But hey guys, ignore all of this. Drugs are bad, m'mkay?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

The governor will benefit hugely from this.

ETA: And his wife

edit on 11-5-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

The governor will benefit hugely from this.

ETA: And his wife

I don't even care about that fact. Nothing can really be said or done about that. This isn't the first time someones done something like this, and it won't be the last.

What can be done is point out the fault in logic and economic sense that this decision possess, and beg...just absolutely BEG for someone to present an argument suggesting otherwise. I mean, I'm still waiting to witness a miracle in my life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join