It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama took SIXTEEN HOURS to make up his mind about Bin Laden mission

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I realy don't care if he takes credit. That's one of the perks as POTUS. Everything he says or does will have political ramifications, though.
16 hours indicates a non-decisive, consensus gatherer.

Not a leader.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As opposed to reading My Pet Goat.

Edit: Shouldn't have gone there, but I did.
edit on 4-5-2011 by OhioPariah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Assuming that the official story is real and true...

Or he might be a person who weighs all the ramifications, risks, and consequences and makes sure all the data is in and all the advisors have had a chance to review it and discuss it before charging ahead.

Also, you do realize that he was given only about an 80% certainty that Obama was even in the compound? Gutsy move to go in with that probability.

Now what the hell would you be saying if he went in and OBL was not there? Hmmm?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I can't believe this is even a story.

He still gave the go-ahead. The mission was still carried out. Anyone can ask "what-if?" all day long but the end result already happened. What a waste of energy (yes, I realize I fell for it too since I'm posting this). For all the knee-jerkers out there: I do NOT like Obama the politician and I didn't vote for him, but you give credit where it's due. Good job Mr.President!

This story is here just to stir the pot and it's working.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Protostellar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You don't really think he's sitting there by himself deciding stuff, do you? Please tell me no one here is that naïve. Surely not.

He's a politician. He's a product. He's a mouthpiece for those who pull his strings and the strings of so many others before him. He's otherwise irrelevant - except that he floated to the top.

You guys all love to blame the president for anything and everything. He does not sit there changing policies from the moment your vote was cast. Those things are not part of his game. I just wish people would understand that and look for/at the real puppet masters.

As long as you keep barking up the wrong tree, they are free to continue on their merry way. Think about it.

link   

Originally posted by Ali3nAlly
I've heard of armchair quarterbacks, but there seem to be a whole lot of armchair presidents on this forum.

And in the white House for most of the issues facing this country.

This time obama got one right. Well, it seems that way so far. There is still plenty of time for the obama administration to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on this. All the conflicting stories being given out by members of the administration are a good start - clinton and gates say no picture, but panetta says there will be one is a perfect example.

link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

After 10 years, why does 16 hours seem like a long time? They knew Osama wasn't going anywhere. You want another knee jerk moron in office? That's why we are in the mess we are in.

OMG!! 16 hours!!!! *sarcastically runs for the hills*

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by beezzer

Assuming that the official story is real and true...

But the questions have become:

Which story? And are any of them really true?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

what a lazy debate tactic, throw out the racist word a bunch of times and win! woo!

no wonder you were banned once before.

don't worry, i wont tell.....whoops.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

If Obama went in with 'guns blazing'
like you say, he would've went in back in August when positive intelligence was presented to him.

He decided not to bomb the compound and to pursue other options. The latest option, the one that did take out Osama, has been rehearsed with different scenerios time and time again for weeks now.

This mission plan would've not been presented to Obama if those responsible for carrying it out had any doubts it could've been done successfully.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Obama didn't wait 16 hours AFTER learning Osama Bin Laden was present in that compound, as they DIDN'T KNOW YET.

The "Daily Fail" Can spin this any way they want, the SOURCE for the actual quote is the NYT, which stated:

Administration officials split over whether to launch the operation, whether to wait and continue monitoring until they were more sure that Bin Laden was really there....[Defense Secretary Robert] Gates was skeptical about a helicopter assault, calling it risky, and instructed military officials to look into aerial bombardment using smart bombs....Last Thursday [] Mr. Obama met again with his top national security officials....Around the table, the group went over and over the negative scenarios. There were long periods of silence, one aide said. And then, finally, Mr. Obama spoke: “I’m not going to tell you what my decision is now — I’m going to go back and think about it some more.” But he added, “I’m going to make a decision soon.”

Sixteen hours later, he had made up his mind. Early the next morning, four top aides were summoned to the White House Diplomatic Room. Before they could brief the president, he cut them off. “It’s a go,” he said. The earliest the operation could take place was Saturday, but officials cautioned that cloud cover in the area meant that Sunday was much more likely.

The actual timeline of the mission is here;
Obama Gives Order, Bin Laden Is Killed: White House Time Line

Obama didn't know for certain Osama Bin Laden was in the compound until Sunday, at 3:50 PM;
"the President was told bin Laden had been tentatively identified". (source)

Headlines like this one, that is being bandied about all the right-wing "conservative" sites, is just a pathetic attempt to detract from the mission and the administration that made it happen.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I meant assuming that the official, from the White House story and timeline as it evolves and changes is true. Theoretically/hypothetically speaking. I'm putting a disclaimer in most of my posts now when discussing generalities, SOP, and theory because I'm sick of getting jumped by people accusing me of swallowing said official story. My jury's still out. This is evolving. In a very interesting way. But that being said, I don't think we should be rushing to judgment without more information. You know?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Taking the time to think through the biggest decision of his Presidency.....THIS IS A GOOD THING!!!

Bravo Obama.

All of you Obama haters...just admit that no matter what he did, you would complain. If he made the decision in a minute...you would be crying about how he didn't think things through and got LUCKY that OBL was actually there.

If you hate Obama...fine...just come out and say it.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scytherius
reply to post by Intelearthling

After 10 years, why does 16 hours seem like a long time? They knew Osama wasn't going anywhere. You want another knee jerk moron in office? That's why we are in the mess we are in.

OMG!! 16 hours!!!! *sarcastically runs for the hills*

Here's a nice few
's for this post.

16 hours doesn't matter (after 10 years)??? With pakistan tipping OBL off every time we get close, 16 hours is a lifetime (literally).

Ever considered that it's been 10 years precisely because pakistan was tipping OBL off to our moves?

Using your description and not mine, you're actually OK with trading a "knee jerk moron" with someone so obviously out of his league that he is pathologically incapable of making a hard and quick decision?

Hint: that's what presidents are required to do.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Scytherius

Come to reality. 16 hours is a tremendous amount of time to escape without any leads.

How many times have we came close in the past only to find the target "just here" or "we missed the target by minutes"?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Just because I am wearing new clothes, does not mean that someone took (banned) my last ones. I simply decided NOT to hide behind a fake name, and post with some sort of accountability...

Shhhhhhh, dont tell anyone I used to use another name! oh noooooooo ...lol

Sorry, I don't see any other reason behind the blind, ignorant, and misguided hate towards him.

Could you have fit more ignorance and tomfoolery in one post?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Like I said, he didn't KNOW with 100% certainty at the moment he did make the decision. The Daily Mail appears to be like us...working with conflicting and incomplete information, eh? Some people seem to be assuming that what they're saying is gospel here.

What was the "urgency" here? Some advisors were chomping at the bit? What if he wanted to wait 24 hours? They were relatively certain he was in there and had an eye on the place and would know if he left, eh?

I agree that there's a lot of stuff flying and changes are being made, but let's not get nuts here and fling our own half-baked accusations so soon either. I certainly don't feel comfortable that we know everything yet, or if we ever will. Certainly not to the extent of spewing vitriol and bile and to use this support our own preconceived feelings.
edit on 5/4/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

what a lazy debate tactic, throw out the racist word a bunch of times and win! woo!

no wonder you were banned once before.

don't worry, i wont tell.....whoops.

You left out the personal insults in this person's very next post after throwing the race card.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

sure bub, sure. whatever helps you sleep at night

couldn't be that people disagree with his actions....or lack thereof. couldn't be that people disagree with his political ideals. couldn't be that people disagree with how he runs his administration. NOOOOOO it's gotta be that they're racist because obama is quite clearly a fricken rainbow of awesomeness right?
get a grip dude.

like i said, you're lazy. get a new trick.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The "Daily Fail" Can spin this any way they want, the SOURCE for the actual quote is the NYT, which stated:

Using sources like he Daily Mail and The Examiner should be a red flag. People should always look for corroborating sources when dealing with these sensationalistic and biased rags.

Thanks for adding some credible information to the thread.

Headlines like this one, that is being bandied about all the right-wing "conservative" sites, is just a pathetic attempt to detract from the mission and the administration that made it happen.

Absolutely couldn't agree more. I'm surprised more critical thinkers cannot see this.
edit on 5/4/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join