It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Smoking and Social Change

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Go to the airport and ask a random stranger for a dollar/euro.

Now go out to the Smoking Section and ask someone there for the same thing.

People that smoke tend to be more open minded. Tend to be friendlier. Tend to be nicer all around. Much more tolerant of others.

It is about FREEDOM. Everyday more and more of 'our' freedom is taken away. More and more of our lives are changed by the Closed-Minded and Selfish people that say "Do It My Way - Every other Way is Wrong".

Is smoking dangerous? Ask yourself which is more deadly the next time you get behind the wheel of your car after "just a couple of drinks". Ask yourself this when you get behind the wheel and wonder who else on the road has had "Just a couple of drinks"......

What will "they" take away next?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

There we go! It only took 20 posts until someone answered the question. You made a very good point.

Thank you for not attacking the messanger and THINKING about the question, not about yourself and your addictions.

And you're right, it doesnt matter what a person puts in their body. Its what they do with themselves and their time on the planet that matters.

This is what I'm looking for on this thread. Not pointing out how stupid, illogical, liberal, childish and vegan I am. I've been married. Someone's already pointed these out to me

Wow! Just wow!

link   
reply to post by adigregorio

HAHA! Nice.

link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Here, let me fix your OPost!

It's estimated that over one billion people drive vehicles worldwide.

Every day you see an automobile in the street, or parked, in your drive way or outside your apartment complex. Everyday people put pointless smoke into their lungs, smoke which they know will kill them. It has been proven, and yet, these people do not care for themselves and continue to drive.

I can understand why people ride airplanes, and trains. But automobiles? You can't even get higer than 150mph from them. Just average, the speed limit.

My friend paid 8 bucks for two gallons of gas the other day. That's a pack of cigarettes!

Drivers don't respect themselves, their environment, and often times, not even the people around them.

My point isn't to moralize about driving automobiles. You can do whatever you want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

My point is: How can we possible save the world when so many people don't even care about themselves? So many people are purposely killing themselves. Why? When so many people spew out hot oil, BURNING GARBAGE, out of a leaky oil pan how can we reverse the toxic effects of corporate pollution? Which is a much more complex problem.

Change starts with you. If you drive, how can you possible respect and love yourself? If you don't respect yourself, how can you respect the planet and the 7 billion other people on it?

Automobiles breed apathy. Are the billion+ apathetic drivers holding us back from true revolution?

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE

Your car makes WAY MORE SMOKE than my small cigs. So if my small cigs are evil, your big car must be SUPER EVIL! OMG!!!111!11

Methinks another doctor would be proud....an evil doctor?
*finger to chin*

Yeah, moral pushing 101. THAT should be the title of this thread. "I think smoking is bad, and all smokers are nasty!" I get it! You don't like the smell! I don't like your scent either, all flowery...

Lmfao.. Brilliant .. Ta m8 for a much needed laugh and star for ya

link   

Originally posted by PathofEnoch

There we go! It only took 20 posts until someone answered the question. You made a very good point.

Thank you for not attacking the messanger and THINKING about the question, not about yourself and your addictions.

And you're right, it doesnt matter what a person puts in their body. Its what they do with themselves and their time on the planet that matters.

This is what I'm looking for on this thread. Not pointing out how stupid, illogical, liberal, childish and vegan I am. I've been married. Someone's already pointed these out to me

Wow! Just wow!

??? Huh?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

. . . .

haha

I am with you there, buddy.

lol

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I thought it was nice!

It is the truth too, cars make way more smoke than cigs. So if cigs are bad, then cars are WAY worse!

Anyway, I am tired of people picking on me for my personal choices. And just because you typed "It is not my point to..." doesn't give you a free pass to insult me. You insulted smokers, I am a smoker, you insulted me. Simple math: A = B (Smokers = Me) A - Y = Sad (Smokers insulted by you = sad) therefore: B - Y = Sad (True!)

Again, get off the high horse. Just because you think cigs smell bad, you think you get the right to rally behing lies and false information to try and sbject me to ridicule and other nasty behavior. You sit there talking about humanity, while at the same time insulting a good chunk of it.

What was your point again? (Moral pushing, no need to answer.)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I agree with you.

What annoys me is this lie about passive smoking.
I`ve smoked for forty years and i know a helluva lot of people in the same boat.

I`m not impotent and my lungs are fine.
But if smoke in a pub or restaurant....or whatever, i`m killing someone !
It`s a load of Bull and the public have fallen for yet another porky.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
That's it. I am quitting. I have been waking up each day wanting to find a way to dishonor myself, risk my health and ruin the environment. So I began smoking, I know I feel so shameful telling you about it. This is the first time I am actually admitting my actions. Oh and know that with me putting down the cigs, more plants will flourish, the streams will be clear, world peace and usama is dead. Now we can have a revolution right? Please, spread your message. Post it on Facebook and make brochures because your idea is fricken life changing.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PathofEnoch

Wow! Just wow!

??? Huh?

You post a thread "attacking" smokers and their lack of ability to contribute to social change in a hugely broad context, then get upset that you personally get attacked, and then state that "it doesnt matter what a person puts in their body. Its what they do with themselves and their time on the planet that matters."

My question to you is, why single out one specific group that you felt was an easy target? Matter of fact why even start this thread. That's a wow moment.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I smoke because I enjoy it. I don't litter my cigarette butts. I respect the environment very much, I'm an active conservationalist and volunteer, when I can, to participate in revegetation projects, pest management and caring for wildlife. I love myself to the point of being a little arrogant at times. Therefore, I'm not the demon you make me out to be.

I don't smoke around other people in public if I can help it. However, if I'm sitting on a bench by myself and some tosser decides to come close to me and give me filthy looks, etc, then that's their own damn fault for choosing to stand near me, as I was there first. Yes, it's an expensive habit, but I can afford it. It's my little luxury in life.

If you don't like smoking, just don't go near people who are smoking. Sure, it's not going to give you a dizzying high like crystal meth or heroin, etc, but it sure is relaxing and soothing. I could justify exactly why I enjoy smoking so much, but why should I? It's my choice, and I won't suffer to be insulted by a fool who attempts to degrade those of differing opinions and lifestyles by making feeble personal attacks.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Good point. Smokers are almost always willing to lend a smoke to someone. Another point for the smokers!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambros56
reply to post by GypsK

I agree with you.

What annoys me is this lie about passive smoking...

Adolph would be proud, of course when he invented the term it was "passive vrauchen" I laugh inside everytime I hear someone spout off "You are a meanie, with your passive smoke!" I just picture them in their Nazi uniform, since they are spouting Nazi propeganda. Hey I bet that means I can call them Nazi's and be truthful! I mean if you do Nazi things you are a Nazi right?

Maybe I should ask Godwin?

Silly Nazis, cigs are for kids.

-Edit
Upon re-reading it looked like I was against the quoted poster. Tis not the case, just pointing out passive vrauchen is Nazi for passive smoke (or rather passive smoke is English for passive vrauchen since it is a Nazi term.)
edit on 5/4/2011 by adigregorio because: Nazi (Had to say it once more!)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
reply to post by doctornamtab

I thought it was nice!

It is the truth too, cars make way more smoke than cigs. So if cigs are bad, then cars are WAY worse!

Anyway, I am tired of people picking on me for my personal choices. And just because you typed "It is not my point to..." doesn't give you a free pass to insult me. You insulted smokers, I am a smoker, you insulted me. Simple math: A = B (Smokers = Me) A - Y = Sad (Smokers insulted by you = sad) therefore: B - Y = Sad (True!)

Again, get off the high horse. Just because you think cigs smell bad, you think you get the right to rally behing lies and false information to try and sbject me to ridicule and other nasty behavior. You sit there talking about humanity, while at the same time insulting a good chunk of it.

What was your point again? (Moral pushing, no need to answer.)

Alright then. I never said anything about cigarettes smelling bad or anything like that. In college I used to let my friends smoke cigs in my room because I had this huge window sill they could sit on. I'm not TRYING to insult anyone so please dont put words in my mouth and dont assume I"m like everyone other smoker hater out there. My girlfriend is a smoker. So ragging on smokers is not my point.

This isn't about cars vs cigs and the smoke that comes out of them. Its a psychological (or sociological) question about personal addictions and social addictions. Not an environmental one. If you have anything to add to this please do.

And for the record your post WAS really funny and I truly liked it

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PathofEnoch

This post not a personal attack against you buddy. It is a question about addiction that I framed with smoking cigarettes. Please just contribute something instead of defending yourself against perceived attacks.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOOOOOOOOOKE

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just as I thought.. Your lack of an answer says it all.. You've done absolutely nothing to make the world a better place. Typical westerner.. Whinge about everything and do nothing..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

reply to post by PathofEnoch

This post not a personal attack against you buddy. It is a question about addiction that I framed with smoking cigarettes. Please just contribute something instead of defending yourself against perceived attacks.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOOOOOOOOOKE

Go back and read my first post BUDDY.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Alright then. I never said anything about cigarettes smelling bad or anything like that.

I know you didn't, but we all know that this is the REAL reason everyone hates me for smoking. (Everyone = anti-smokers, so many of them now-a-days seems like everyone.)

In college I used to let my friends smoke cigs in my room because I had this huge window sill they could sit on.

Yeah, this sounds familiar. Racist version would be:

"I have Black friends, but..."

No? How about bigoted:

"I have gay friends, but..."

I'm not TRYING to insult anyone so please dont put words in my mouth...

I don't have to, you did. Check it out!

these people do not care for themselves and continue to smoke.

Smokers dont respect themselves, their environment and often times, not even the people around them.

How can we possibly save the world when so many people don't even care about themselves?

If you smoke, how can you possibly respect and love yourself?

Cigarettes breed apathy. Are the billion apathetic cigarette smokers holding us back from true revolution?

There ya have it! Some insults, ones I didn't put in your mouth (You did.)

My girlfriend is a smoker. So ragging on smokers is not my point.

I will direct you again to the racist/bigoted versions of this sentence.

This isn't about cars vs cigs and the smoke that comes out of them. Its a psychological (or sociological) question about personal addictions and social addictions. Not an environmental one. If you have anything to add to this please do.

I DID add. I said cars are a FAR WORSE problem to society than my little cigarettes. Care to disprove my stance, I gave evidence disproving yours.

Again, I am tired of hearing about what others think of my choices. If it was truely "up to me" then you would not have had the stipulation "Unless you are hurting others." Since cars hurt others WAY MORE than me, anyone who drives is "worse than" me according to your OPost's rules. Maybe next time, you should pick a topic you are well versed in. Since smoking is obviously a bad choice for an example.

--Edit
Thank you for the compliment, my posts usually don't turn out the way I intend them to. Like this one, I foresee it being taken as "mean". Neutral is my stance now, I see what you were trying to do. Just a poor choice in example.

And change does not start with "you". Change is is ones mind, if one does not like smokers all they have to do is re-wire their thought processes so that they do like them. A lot of work involved, which is why they choose to just hate on me for the stink I produce. If people would spend more time worrying about themselves, and less time about me (others) THAT would be a better way to work on humanity. Of course, just suggesting it makes that statement hypocratic so take it as you will.

Gotta love Discordians, or hate them doesn't matter either way.
edit on 5/4/2011 by adigregorio because: Screwey pute didn't take my whole post.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I'm asking you for an explanation. So please, give one

Sorry, I would have responded a bit sooner, but after reading this tripe I needed a cig.

Do you really need an "explanation"? If so...here it is. You've allowed your prejudices to cloud your reasoning, and used them to make baseless and broad sweeping generalizations, about a group that you feel negatively towards, instead of simply accepting the fact that people are individuals who don't all fit into your bigoted cookie-cutter stereotype.

Yes, I smoke. I've also done a substantial amount of charity work and fundraising for numerous organizations from the Salvation Army to the Boy Scouts of America, and many others. How do smokers help change the world for the better? The same way everyone else does. By being active in their communities. I find it hard to believe you aren't intelligent enough to have realized all that on your own, but I suppose when one is so busy pointing the finger at others it's a bit difficult to step back and rationally analyze one's own prejudices and bigotry.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Yeah maybe it was a poor choice for an example. But by asking a question about addiction I couldnt think of a better addiction to pick. Its one that has well known detrimental effects and one that is very, very common. And cars and oil are a form of addiction that we are socially addicted to. How do we break these addictions? Is it possible to break a social addiction (like oil) if we cannot break personal addictions (like cigarettes)?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join