It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Smoking and Social Change

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

I use to smoke cig's with my bud, but then i stopped because its a disgusting habit, it smells, its bad for you & it tastes like sh*t, i personally can take it or leave it, i dont feel its got anything to do with addiction, Addiction is measured by your self control, its like your blaming cigs or the chemicals in them because you smoke them.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
Besides, no one has even answered the question.

All anyone wants to talk about is why they've chosen to smoke. I dont care if you smoke.

I'll say it again.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOKE

But how can we change society for the better when people wont change themselves for the better?

Please answer the question and stop attacking me.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOKE.

You are the one missing the point. Why should a smoker make that change?
You seem to think that someone who smokes is incapable of making changes in the world...where is your evidence? You have none.
One final thought for you...Steve Mcqueen smoked, Hitler and Thatcher didn't.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

If a person can't stop an addiction like cigarettes how can an entire people stop an addiction to oil?

First off, how do you know it's an unwanted addiction? Secondly, there is NO connection, whatsoever. I've hung around all sorts of drug heads, and they don't simply do nothing as the propaganda would have you believe. Some of them are highly capable. Some of them run corporations and are heads of governments.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Shut down all the damn factories. Ground all aircraft, stop driving cars, shut down powerplants. ALL OF THOSE put out far more pollution than cigarrettes do. Until then piss of and dont whinge about smokers. Funny many of us japanese are heavy smokers and we outlive everyone on the planet.. Kinda blows the anti - smokers rubbish out of the water.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

With no disrespect intended, you have painted the entirety of the smoking community with an awfully wide brush. You claim that people who smoke don't care about themselves, thus they don't care about the world, or even bother with trying to change it.

Quite frankly, your argument could fit a million different molds, from internet addiction, to sex addiction, to food addiction, et al. Why attack the smoking community? Are we (yes I am a smoker of 10+ years) any worse than the people addicted to any other drug or activity? What makes smoking so much more evil than anything else?

I will tell you that as a smoker, I do not smoke around children, I stay away from doorways, buildings, et al. when I decide to enjoy a smoke. I field strip my butts every time and I use the proper refuse basket every time. Can the same be said about many smokers? Probably not. However, my "tobacco footprint" is probably a lot smaller than many out there.

You claimed that smokers do not care for themselves. Well, let me tell you that I take very good care of myself. I run/jog 3-5 miles a day on my exercise machine, I eat right, I weight lift, and I refuse to eat any sort of junk food. While this is a recent life style change, the transformation was much better received by my body than when I tried to quit smoking. While I may be addicted to it, I enjoy it. It is one of the few creature comforts that gives me some sense of calm and relaxation after a hard day at work, or after a stressful situation. Surely there are far more drugs out there that are far more harmful to the human body than tobacco.

You talk about change and making the world better, how about starting with the man in the mirror. Usually that is the best person to start with. Leave the smokers alone.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

But how can we change society for the better when people wont change themselves for the better?

Who is to say what's better? This statement says that because i smoke, i can in no way shape or form better myself? Because i smoke, i am somehow stopping the progression of society? What alot of crap. My life choices do not affect society or progression.

You're asking the wrong questions.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yes, its addicting. I"m addicted to many things as well. Its human nature. Our brains are wired for addiction.

Why don't you break your addictions? How can you change the world if you are unwilling to change yourself?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

If a person can't stop an addiction like cigarettes how can an entire people stop an addiction to oil?

First off, how do you know it's an unwanted addiction? Secondly, there is NO connection, whatsoever. I've hung around all sorts of drug heads, and they don't simply do nothing as the propaganda would have you believe. Some of them are highly capable. Some of them run corporations and are heads of governments.

Self destruction leads to self destruction. Creativity leads to growth. Creating is growth, not killing and polluting. So if I cut myself and wallow in self abuse it means I'm growing?

You're clueless kid. Just clueless. I guess you're still quite young. Keep at it.

Ok, just keep attacking me, making assumptions about me and avoiding answering the question. Denying the question is valid is not answering the question. When people's egos are threatened and they have no real argument they attack the person, not the idea.

Please stop attacking me. Its just clogging up the thread.

I"m not saying that druggies or cigarettes smokers are lazy. I never said that.

I'm pointing out the discprency between a personal addiction and our cultural addictions. If we can't change ourselves for the better how can we change the planet for the better?

Also, if people WANT to be addicted to something that kills them fine. Its not hurting me. But addiction to oil, corporate news and anger do hurt me and everyone else on the planet.

If we can't stop personal addictions in ourselves how can we stop global addictions?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK

Besides, no one has even answered the question.

All anyone wants to talk about is why they've chosen to smoke. I dont care if you smoke.

I'll say it again.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOKE

Please answer the question and stop attacking me.

I DONT CARE IF YOU SMOKE.

You are the one missing the point. Why should a smoker make that change?
You seem to think that someone who smokes is incapable of making changes in the world...where is your evidence? You have none.
One final thought for you...Steve Mcqueen smoked, Hitler and Thatcher didn't.

I seem to think that illogical addiction to harmful substances (cigarettes) relates to our at large addiction to other harmful substances (oil, money, fast food).

If smokers are willing to destroy themselves how can they be willing to help the planet?

If you're looking for statistics and nonsense like that you're not gonna get it. This is not an "evidence" thread. Its a "thinking" thread.

The part about hitler and margaret thatcher not smoking made me smile though.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyco

Who is to say what's better? This statement says that because i smoke, i can in no way shape or form better myself? Because i smoke, i am somehow stopping the progression of society? What alot of crap. My life choices do not affect society or progression.

You're asking the wrong questions.

Actually your life choices are the only thing that affect society and progression. How else does it happen?

What is the right question?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

your opinion is a bit harsh. but i respect that. although people doing crack & meth, etc they do hurt others. maybe because its not laying around on the street you don't see as such a nuisance. i have seen crack pipes laying on the sidewalk though.

sure smoking isnt good for you. neither is drinking, or doing any sort of drugs. they all have repercussions. I find it a little unfair to go after just smoking.

how do you feel about drinking, or people eating gmo food?

people have smoked since antiquity and will continue to do so. Not all smokers are irresponsible or bothersome.

interesting post nonetheless. just giving my 2 cents

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

With no disrespect intended, you have painted the entirety of the smoking community with an awfully wide brush. You claim that people who smoke don't care about themselves, thus they don't care about the world, or even bother with trying to change it.

Quite frankly, your argument could fit a million different molds, from internet addiction, to sex addiction, to food addiction, et al. Why attack the smoking community? Are we (yes I am a smoker of 10+ years) any worse than the people addicted to any other drug or activity? What makes smoking so much more evil than anything else?

I chose smoking because its an obvious example of personal choices that hurt the person, yet continue anyway. You're right that it applies to all addictions. Sorry to pick on smokers and sorry to group all of you under one banner but you are an easy target and an obvious choice if I"m going to make an argument about addictions.

I"m trying to draw a parallel between a persons inability to quit something harmful and our society's inability to quit something harmful.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Am a physician have smoked nearly 50 years now. My lungs are still clear. I can run 2 miles in 10min. 48 seconds. During my lifetime have worked on more patients than can remember in war zones and disaster areas around the world doing what I can for others and will do so as long as I live am 69 today and plan to live to 120 at least.. So tell me kid what the hell have you done to make the world better aside from offend people on a forum with your ignorance.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Self destruction leads to self destruction. Creativity leads to growth. Creating is growth, not killing and polluting. So if I cut myself and wallow in self abuse it means I'm growing?

You're clueless kid. Just clueless. I guess you're still quite young. Keep at it.

Ok, just keep attacking me, making assumptions about me and avoiding answering the question. Denying the question is valid is not answering the question. When people's egos are threatened and they have no real argument they attack the person, not the idea.

Please stop attacking me. Its just clogging up the thread.

I"m not saying that druggies or cigarettes smokers are lazy. I never said that.

I'm pointing out the discprency between a personal addiction and our cultural addictions. If we can't change ourselves for the better how can we change the planet for the better?

Also, if people WANT to be addicted to something that kills them fine. Its not hurting me. But addiction to oil, corporate news and anger do hurt me and everyone else on the planet.

If we can't stop personal addictions in ourselves how can we stop global addictions?

OK I'll play.

Global addictions just like personal addictions will never stop. The "green movement" is a "new" global addiction, yet I'm sure you yourself are a part of this. Just like working out or gaining knowledge is an addiction to much of a good thing turns bad correct? Your statement to single out smokers is at the least one of the most ignorant statement I have seen here.
As I am guessing your a health nut, vegan, smart cars, and clean energy type of person I will keep this simple. What do you do with your trash? How do you have electricity to post this? What type of electronic devices do you have on you? (Apple?) Point being that you might have different addictions and how are you stopping global addiction?
The reason you are being flamed here is that you make a post about roughly 25% of the world and generalize that this specific addiction is the reason globally we are not cleaner and they don't contribute to "change". Throughout the ages people have smoked. Tobacco and other herbs and plants specifically. Most of the world's advancements where from people who smoked something. Hope you rethink your comment and that you can actually "contribute" something worthwhile.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

I chose smoking because its an obvious example of personal choices that hurt the person, yet continue anyway. You're right that it applies to all addictions. Sorry to pick on smokers and sorry to group all of you under one banner but you are an easy target and an obvious choice if I"m going to make an argument about addictions.

I"m trying to draw a parallel between a persons inability to quit something harmful and our society's inability to quit something harmful.

Everything is harmful though. Microwaves, sun rays, oxygen, water, soil, pesticides, medicine, electricity and a million other things that we use. I'm not seeing what social harm you are getting at here.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The errors of your reasoning have repeatedly been offered to you in this thread.

Please consider them.

Peace.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The whole point of the post is ludicrous.

Because one has an addiction, one can't change the world?

Einstein smoked tobacco.

Edison liked the coca plant.

Benjamin Franklin was into opium and cannabis.

Sigmund Freud…coc aine

Ulysses S. Grant…coc aine

Andrew Jackson…cannabis

Abraham Lincoln…cannabis

James Madison…cannabis

Mohammed…hashish

Shall I continue? All these people had an influence on the world, yet they were addicted to something.

Because one has intakes ANYTHING into their body does not mean that they can do nothing socially.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here, let me fix your OPost!

It's estimated that over one billion people drive vehicles worldwide.

Every day you see an automobile in the street, or parked, in your drive way or outside your apartment complex. Everyday people put pointless smoke into their lungs, smoke which they know will kill them. It has been proven, and yet, these people do not care for themselves and continue to drive.

I can understand why people ride airplanes, and trains. But automobiles? You can't even get higer than 150mph from them. Just average, the speed limit.

My friend paid 8 bucks for two gallons of gas the other day. That's a pack of cigarettes!

Drivers don't respect themselves, their environment, and often times, not even the people around them.

My point isn't to moralize about driving automobiles. You can do whatever you want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

My point is: How can we possible save the world when so many people don't even care about themselves? So many people are purposely killing themselves. Why? When so many people spew out hot oil, BURNING GARBAGE, out of a leaky oil pan how can we reverse the toxic effects of corporate pollution? Which is a much more complex problem.

Change starts with you. If you drive, how can you possible respect and love yourself? If you don't respect yourself, how can you respect the planet and the 7 billion other people on it?

Automobiles breed apathy. Are the billion+ apathetic drivers holding us back from true revolution?

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE

Your car makes WAY MORE SMOKE than my small cigs. So if my small cigs are evil, your big car must be SUPER EVIL! OMG!!!111!11

Methinks another doctor would be proud....an evil doctor?
*finger to chin*

Yeah, moral pushing 101. THAT should be the title of this thread. "I think smoking is bad, and all smokers are nasty!" I get it! You don't like the smell! I don't like your scent either, all flowery...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Here, let me fix your OPost!

It's estimated that over one billion people drive vehicles worldwide.

Every day you see an automobile in the street, or parked, in your drive way or outside your apartment complex. Everyday people put pointless smoke into their lungs, smoke which they know will kill them. It has been proven, and yet, these people do not care for themselves and continue to drive.

I can understand why people ride airplanes, and trains. But automobiles? You can't even get higer than 150mph from them. Just average, the speed limit.

My friend paid 8 bucks for two gallons of gas the other day. That's a pack of cigarettes!

Drivers don't respect themselves, their environment, and often times, not even the people around them.

My point isn't to moralize about driving automobiles. You can do whatever you want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

My point is: How can we possible save the world when so many people don't even care about themselves? So many people are purposely killing themselves. Why? When so many people spew out hot oil, BURNING GARBAGE, out of a leaky oil pan how can we reverse the toxic effects of corporate pollution? Which is a much more complex problem.

Change starts with you. If you drive, how can you possible respect and love yourself? If you don't respect yourself, how can you respect the planet and the 7 billion other people on it?

Automobiles breed apathy. Are the billion+ apathetic drivers holding us back from true revolution?

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE

Your car makes WAY MORE SMOKE than my small cigs. So if my small cigs are evil, your big car must be SUPER EVIL! OMG!!!111!11

Methinks another doctor would be proud....an evil doctor?
*finger to chin*

Yeah, moral pushing 101. THAT should be the title of this thread. "I think smoking is bad, and all smokers are nasty!" I get it! You don't like the smell! I don't like your scent either, all flowery...

Wonderful!! Star to you sir!!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

There we go! It only took 20 posts until someone answered the question. You made a very good point.

Thank you for not attacking the messanger and THINKING about the question, not about yourself and your addictions.

And you're right, it doesnt matter what a person puts in their body. Its what they do with themselves and their time on the planet that matters.

This is what I'm looking for on this thread. Not pointing out how stupid, illogical, liberal, childish and vegan I am. I've been married. Someone's already pointed these out to me

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join