It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Smoking and Social Change

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Akragon
Ban cigarettes, and legalize everything else.

I've read a fair number of studies that suggest that if smokers quit, it doesn't take all that long for their bodies to repair the damage and harmful effects. So that makes me think that rather than making it illegal for people below a certain age to buy cigarettes, it might be a better idea to make it illegal for people, say, over the age of 40 to buy cigarettes. Smoke all you want when you're a kid, but not when you're older and don't have time to heal.

point being, if it kills 50k people in my country alone each year, why not get rid of it completely.

Answer: Population control, Money....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by doctornamtab

smokers are stopping the revolution? this is news, i did not know that.

look around you and you will see all sorts of human behavior that is self-destructive. over-eating, alcoholism, adultery, hard drug abuse, drunk driving, on and on it goes.

no one is perfect. we all have flaws. overweight people are very aware they are overweight. smokers pay for their vice in many ways. hard drug abusers lead a very difficult life. on and on it goes.

a cigarette gives a wise man time to think, and an idiot - something to put in his mouth.

The real irony is that the working class(who make up most the numbers of smokers) have ALWAYS been at the forefront of social change and revolution.

It's the organic vegetable eating middle class types you need to watch out for

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I used to smoke for 6 years in the past but quit completely. Smoking is as useful as herpes and it's a highly masochistic addiction that damages others at the same time. Other types of pollution are not as voluntary as smoking.

To smoke you have to buy the cigarettes, light them up and smoke without anyone forcing you to do it. After you get addicted it's the fear of the withdrawal symptoms that keeps you hooked since the physical addiction fades after a few weeks.

If it weren't for the money from the taxes and the revenues of the tobacco companies as well as population reduction, they would be banned ages ago.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
point being, if it kills 50k people in my country alone each year, why not get rid of it completely.

Answer: Population control, Money....

Are you talking about smoking or about annual automobile deaths that can be avoided with just a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment to all cars?

We're funny like that when it comes to stuff that can kill us.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

From my experience, the worst thing about smokers is how defensive and nasty they get when you suggest that they shouldn't do it.

From my experience you shouldn't stick your shovel into another persons pile of manure. Who are "you" to tell me, or others, how to live their lives? Or, who are "you" to "suggest" how I (or others) are to live our lives? What gives "you" the inside track on what makes a "good life". I really enjoy smoking, even moreso now because it angers many. (The discord it causes, I couldn't hope for better.) I have never tried to quit, I had to stop because I had no money. And people like "you" caused the prices of cigarettes to go up, with sin taxes.

("You" is a general term for a moral pusher. Not directed at a specific poster.)

Oh how I can't wait until they hit the obese with this crap. All the insurance premimums go through the roof because of their girth. They are hurting others, so...yeah...

I think it's worth just letting them smoke just to avoid having to deal with that meanness.

Um, yeah! Duh! It is always better to let people do what they want to do, instead of forcing morals onto them. That is first grade wumbology!

Like trying to take a tennis ball away from a dog.

Ruff ruff. Dogs don't like it when you treat them harshly either. Keep your business out of my business, and I won't growl. I might hump a leg or two though...

Also, what I find interesting is that no matter how loudly a smoker will try to justify what they're doing...

What I find funny, is the anti-smoker will tell me I am killing others. Which makes me a murderer, right? Well if they do not report me to the police, guess who just became an accomplice?

Anyway, the OPost is easily answered. Quit looking for strife, and you will find less of it. Smokers just smoke, they don't "hate themselve" (At least not in a general sence as presented in the OPost) As for me, I hate anti-smokers. Though I love playing with them, so I guess it is a bit of both.

(Walk down a sidewalk without lighting a cigarette, watch how the "nons" treat you. Methinks the "problem" with society lies with you folks, and not with us smokers!)
edit on 5/4/2011 by adigregorio because: To remove un-used quote

edit on 5/4/2011 by adigregorio because: change: wombology to wumbology (heh)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Who are "you" to tell me, or others, how to live their lives? Or, who are "you" to "suggest" how I (or others) are to live our lives? What gives "you" the inside track on what makes a "good life".

I rest my case.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Who are "you" to tell me, or others, how to live their lives? Or, who are "you" to "suggest" how I (or others) are to live our lives? What gives "you" the inside track on what makes a "good life".

I rest my case.

Might want to finish my whole post before resting cases.

Of course, you are free to answer those rhetorical questions if you feel they apply to you...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Might want to finish my whole post before resting cases.

No, no. I think you've done quite a fine job illustrating how defensive smokers get when it is even suggested that they not do it. And for that reason alone, I say, hey, go ahead and smoke up and chill out. Whatever. It's still legal. There are plenty of other things people do that are more offensive to me and more dangerous to themselves than smoke. And I don't really care about other people, so it's all good.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The op has made a blanket statement about how those who smoke cigarettes are apathetic, and that by doing such will not be willing to change their habits to save themselves, and via will not help change the world. The argument is stated correctly that change starts with a person, but draws out a parallel that to smoke, that the person can not respect and love themselves, or the planet with 7 billion other people on it, stating that smoking cigarettes breed apathy.
However, it can be stated, that as a part of human nature, many people seek the easy way out of all things, as we all are creatures of comfort. Many people if they could get rich or gain what they want without having to pay or work for it, would, as that too is human nature. It is not smoking that causes apathy, as many good people did indeed smoke and were willing to step out on the limb and take a chance, to do the correct thing, and seizing the moment. Yet if you look at society today in many of the modern cities, it is more than just smoking that causes such. People will do what they want, as many have stated no one can regulate human nature. Many years ago, a learned person with experience greater than I, who looked at society, came to the conclusion that there was one object that would be either the savior or the downfall of a society, and that was TV. He stated that television could be used to enlighten and increase the awareness and intelligence of the masses, or dumb it down. His words ring more true today than anything else. There are many things out there that are bad for a person, be it smoking cigarettes, or junk food, or liquor, or any other things that we are told not to do. Life is a balance, and living it takes quite a trick. Don’t want skin cancer, well don’t go out into the sun, but hey there are vitamins for the vitamin D deficiency that will result. Can’t have the children hurt themselves, so they can’t go out and run around, but hey the trade off is obese children with a growing rate of diabetes. And the list goes on and one. If anything, it is moderation in all things. People can change and care about something, just that they have to have interest in such things to have that and then not have it crushed by an outside source like the government. After all how can the government expect a society to grow and prosper if it enacts laws that pretty much prevent such?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Smokers self-medicate. Quick drags are a stimulant, slow draws are a sedative.

Nicotine in tobacco calms the racing thoughts and hyperactivity of ADHD, calms the tics from Tourettes', helps Parkinson's shakes, is a powerful anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and stimulates the immune system in those of us who have a lethargic one. For those of us with chronic low blood pressure- it gives us the needed boost that non-smokers usually get from sugar- (adding the danger of diabetes.)

Smokers routinely suffer fewer colds, allergies, flu and other common nasal irritants.

Those of us suffering from a lack of cortisol benefit from the sedative effects, as well as the adrenal like jumps of the quick drags.

Care to add up how much money has just been lost by the pharmaceutical companies just for the few things above?

There is a synthetic nicotine substitute for just about everyone of those listed 'ailments'. Lots of things 'cause cancer'- but no one is rushing out to make them illegal. Because there is no $$$$ in it, yet.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There are a lot of people here who are convinced smoking is a culprit to watch. Please be aware there is another side to the story, that many statistics are made up, that 90% of doctors won't take their own prescribed chemo treatments*, and that ostricizing smokers is yet another "divide and conquer" strategy to promote societal divisiveness. I'm including this, because of reading some of the responses here, and because it is rather pointless to argue the Op statement if what I'm saying is true.

For your consideration, from a medical whistleblower I regard highly.

Book : The Health Benefits of Tobacco
William Campbell Douglass (Author)

The benefits of smoking tobacco have been common knowledge for centuries. From sharpening mental acuity to maintaining optimal weight, the relatively small risks of smoking have always been outweighed by the substantial improvement to mental and physical health. Hysterical attacks on tobacco notwithstanding, smokers always weigh the good against the bad and puff away or quit according to their personal preferences. Now the same anti-tobacco medical establishment that has spent billions demonizing the pleasure of smoking is providing additional reasons to smoke. Did you know that many of the countries the smoke the most, have the longest life span? This controversial books will have you thinking and talking for quite some time.

www.amazon.ca...

This book exposes the conspiracy against smokers in our society. Dr. Douglass gives example after example of biased studies done by doctors all over the world to convince people that smoking is hazardous to one's health. They ignore the results of their studies (which show that smoking in moderation is harmless) and report that smoking is the cause of name-your-disease... I would have given this book 5 stars but it is not particularly well-written (poor punctuation etc.). But the information is excellent. Even if you don't believe everything he says, it's still worth reading.

www.amazon.ca...=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Also of related interest : THE DISEASE PROTECTION RACKET, where they play the fear of the disease against the fear of the cure. Very informative!

1. First: Control
2. Enforce suitable disease theory.
3. Suppress infectious disease cures
4. Suppress main factors in infectious disease
5. Suppress real reason for infectious disease decline
6. Use toxic therapies
7. Hype disease dangers and fear monger
8. Make out poison diseases are infectious
9. Suppress non-Allopathic doctors
10. Suppress the real cause and cures for the degenerative diseases
11. Create disease: Poison the population
12. Create Iatrogenic disease and death

www.whale.to...

* The chemo fraud exposed
douglassreport.com...

Cancer, Inc. exposed
douglassreport.com...

edit on 4-5-2011 by Northwarden because: added synopsis headings

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I think you've done quite a fine job illustrating how defensive smokers get when it is even suggested that they not do it.

Close, but no cigar (Ha!)

I have done a fine job illustrating that pushing ones morals onto others causes problems. The same problems the OPer said was the pushees fault. Furthermore, if you do not care about people then why suggest anything to them? Or is this backpeddling?

There are plenty of other things people do that are more offensive to me and more dangerous to themselves than smoke. And I don't really care about other people, so it's all good.

Hmm, this confuses me. You are basically saying: I care what people do, but I don't care what people do. Check the "if by whiskey" logical fallacy. Might help you pick a side?

Regardless, it is not the smoker that is the problem. It is the person who has a problem with the smoker. They don't like the smell of the smoke, so they make smoke of their own (in the form of lies). Before attacking that sentence I just typed, be sure to point out how a vehicle's smoke is less deadly than my cigarettes, thanks! I WILL point out that car smoke doesn't smell as bad as cig smoke.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wow OP...

I quit smoking after college...but I'd rather die of emphysema than be as arrogant and ignorant about life as yourself

Good luck with that attitude

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Allegedly harden than heroin to kick!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Easy answer, psychological and physical addiction. Try drinking coffee three times a day for a month straight and then stop. You become a different person, a very angry, tired and irritated one.

Then I'll make a thread about all the coffee drinkers in the world and how they don't respect themselves and others. Roasting their pots at work in the morning smelling up the place. Being all in your face happy and energetic at 6 o'clock in the morning. Throwing their un-degradable styrofoam cups around the street. Raising their blood pressures to the point of hypertension.

Haha no but I'm a big coffee drinker myself

edit on 4-5-2011 by robile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The idea that smokers can't love or respect themselves because they willingly(at least when they start) do something that can quite possibly kill them is wrong. From delicious dining to adrenalin rushed thrills EVERYBODY does things that have a high probability of injury and death. In fact just living will eventually kill you. People smoke for a few reasons. Killing themselves is not one of them. The majority smoke because.....they enjoy it. So while smoking hinders athletic ability and cuts off a small portion of their life smokers aren't mentally disadvantaged at bringing about social change.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My uncle died of lung cancer just recently. So in turn I recenty quit smoking. the best way for me was to tell myself that I had never smoked a cigaretter in my life everytime I wanted one, essentially trying to trick my cravings. I quit for my own personal satisfaction nothing more. I'm satisfied knowing I'll be healthier and wealthier in the long run.

But for all you smokers out there, keep smoking! Unless you find yourself a reason to quit, then Quit! Reminds me of a quote; "a student asked a zen master what was the meaning of enlightenment, the master pondered then said: when thirsty, drink. When tired, sleep. When hungry, eat"

Listen to your inner guide, it knows what you need.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

interesting - is there anything online that reflects this?

you may or may not be aware that here in the land of OZ - trail ya, home of super mind control bases like Pine Gap, there is insane amount of government pushed campaigns to get smokers to quit - in the interest of saving health budgets

of course we dont have and probably never will have a bill of rights here = we have none

its at the point now that tobacco is heavily taxed, cannot display in store, and now going to plain green packet for all brands, stopping smokers from smoking outside buildings, etc etc.

if 'health budget' is the false flag it is, what is the real agenda to get smokers to quit in the NWO scheme of things?

I smoke myself, and whilst I may feel that I should quit for health, save money etc, for many months I have started thinking "why the campaign to make smokers public enemy number 1"??

the only logical sensible answer is that smokers may be inhaling a chemical that blocks their nasty little tricks-es those gollums want to subject us to

I

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've cut back from 2 packs a day to 1 cigarette a day, Screw it might as well smoke none

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Honestly not sure why I started smoking yet I keep smoking because I do not have time or resources to hit the gym, or take yoga class or anything that may help reduce stress. I don't always like that I smoke. I am a "closet smoker" I hide outside when no one is looking and only my friends, family, and noisy neighbors know. I properly handle my used smokes and smoke less than anyone I have ever met that does smoke.

I have tried to quit yet do not like the way it makes me when I find I have absolutely no outlet left. I do not drink, do not go out, limit friends (despise ignorant people), eat healthy so am limited on crap craving foods so it becomes frustrating. It is easy to hide in the garage for a half a smoke two or three times a day rather than throw abandoned dog feces at the owners door, or yell profanities at every car that drives by with music too loud, or for each time I see someone throw trash (yes even smokes) out their window.

Smoking to a non-smoker may seem like a lack of care yet there are truly some many other things that define a lack of care. People who consume foods, drinks, and medications without ever once second guessing what the true ingredients are. I do not think that smoking a cigarette, having a cup of coffee, the occasional alcoholic beverage, or the late night snack determines how the world will turn out.

It is hard to think that addressing smoking could lead the way to global realization. If it was truly that simple, yeah I would quit but I bet no one would like me. Nothing like a healthy world filled with angry people. Perhaps if you approached the situation using something like people who do not recycle or people who drive when they could walk. We have people that drive their kids to school everyday when it is under a mile away.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join