It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has Released Info on Brown Dwarf Star Between Jupiter and Mars

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
That is a rather confusing title..

NASA papers talk about an object in Oort Cloud
[For information Oort Cloud is beyond the Kuiper belt, where Pluto is]

There was no mention of brown dwarf stars in the Asteroid Belt which is between Mars and Jupiter orbits.

edit:

Recently, WISE completed an extended mission, allowing it to finish a complete scan of the asteroid belt, and two complete scans of the more distant universe, in two infrared bands. So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

If you read it carefully you can see that ultracold star refers to the objects in the more distant universe...
edit on 28-4-2011 by silencee because: inconsistent

edit:
I guess this was already said.. anyhow
edit on 28-4-2011 by silencee because: repeat

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
reply to post by Razz123

Might want to change the title of your thread-

"Recently, WISE completed an extended mission, allowing it to finish a complete scan of the asteroid belt, and two complete scans of the more distant universe, in two infrared bands. So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter."

I think they're saying:
"Here's what WISE found:
1. A brown dwarf
2. 20 comets
3. 134 NEOs
4. 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Not that all of those things were found "between Mars and Jupiter.
I can see how one could interpret it that way though.
A good example of WHY proper grammar is so important.

i.e.
THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMAS:
'Let's eat, grandpa!'
versus
'Let's eat grandpa!'
lol

I recently posted a thread here on ATS with a video showing the new WISE photos- INCREDIBLE AND BREATHTAKING...
check it out-
The Beauty of PERSPECTIVE- Amazing new WISE photos/video
edit on 27-4-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

Here's the video I made:

edit on 27-4-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: ETA- vid embed

Like what ltinycdancerg said, it's a grammer mistake.

S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I dont know but i thought it said they found a brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 NEOs. as well as 33,000 asteroids. with only the asteroids being between mars and jupiter and the brown dwarf and comets being outside the belt.

I feel like the OP is reading the sentence incorrectly, but that is just me.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
NASA Finds Molehill, Bad Grammar Makes Discovery Mountains....
Film at 11.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The article said they found a brown dwarf, but did not specify where. The cosmos is a pretty big neighborhood, The article said IF it is there then the WISE can find it, they haven't found it yet. They are still pouring over the data. It would seem to me if it were heading in our direction it shouldn't be hard to spot.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Reading skills are important.

This thread is proof of that.

Sorry OP, no stars and no flags.

Mods can we please get the title of this thread changed please.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra

A: In the 1980s, a different companion to the sun was hypothesized. That object, named for the Greek goddess "Nemesis," was proposed to explain periodic mass extinctions on the Earth. Nemesis would have followed a highly elliptical orbit, perturbing comets in the Oort Cloud roughly every 26 million years and sending a shower of comets toward the inner solar system."Tyche."

Just reverse the concept. No one said that solar orbit in the milky way has a clean "path".
whole galaxy is moving so during the solar system path we MUST run into:
asteroid fields (meteorites bombardments),
stars fly-by (causing quakes, pole shifts),
space debris dimming sunlight (ice ages)...

the only thing we know is that every 50 million years we complete a milky way tour,
no one knows how many objects did WE smash into ? Nemesis... well is just a detail.
I would suggest start sending probes ahead of the solar system path to know what lies ahead.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
WAAAWEEE..this gold dude!! the Never A Straight Agency (NASA)has finally answer with a straight answer..well whats the next step for nasa..telling us, actually its gonna be really close to earth very very soon..maybe oct, 16th!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by topdog30

Ok dude we got it. Move along now there is nothing to see here. have a cig and calm yourself.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silencee

Yes it has been said already, along with all the rest of the posts over and over. I read three pages and skipped to eight and still see the same stuff repeated again and again, sometimes by the same people even. i know some of you feel very strongly about both sides of this debate (I however, dont have a dog in this fight other than boredom) but, get a grip already.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RapTek
WAAAWEEE..this gold dude!! the Never A Straight Agency (NASA)has finally answer with a straight answer..well whats the next step for nasa..telling us, actually its gonna be really close to earth very very soon..maybe oct, 16th!

How about you read the article before making an utter fool of yourself?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Still, a quick read of the article would lead you to think they found a bloody star between jupiter and mars. heh...had to do a double take when I first read it.
Frankly, they should have broken the asteroids up in a different segment verses lob it at the end to make it mistake proof.

So much for naming our sister star something cool..like Crom, or Gutsy. Gutsy the sister star...has a nice ring to it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

Or Tom Cruise and Ashton Kutcher creating bunkers and publicly telling people of the coming extinction.
The thought has crossed my mind with the "celebs" behaviour. "The world is ending soon, we will all be dead so let's do whatever the *bleep* we want!"

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Some of the topics and interpretations people have on this site are just mind-numbing. I hate to sound so tactless, but wow -- some of the replies here aren't even remotely close to what the article is saying!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

It doesn't actually state where this Ultra Cold Star is located. Why do they not state this?

Because the article is about WISE completing its mission, not about the "ultra-cold star." That was announced here:

WISE's new brown dwarf is named WISEPC J045853.90+643451.9 for its location in the sky. It is estimated to be 18 to 30 light-years away and is one of the coolest brown dwarfs known, with a temperature of about 600 Kelvin, or 620 degrees Fahrenheit. That's downright chilly as far as stars go. The fact that this brown dwarf jumped out of the data so easily and so quickly -- it was spotted 57 days into the survey mission -- indicates that WISE will discover many, many more. The discovery was confirmed by follow-up observations at the University of Virginia's Fan Mountain telescope, the Large Binocular Telescope in southeastern Arizona, and NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility on Mauna Kea, Hawaii. The results are in press at the Astrophysical Journal.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jb1958

From reading various posts concerning this supposed binary companion of our sun, I get the understanding that its not the companion itself that is the concern, since it may only come close enough to our star system as the ort cloud which would not have any gravitational effects on our inner solar system. Seems that the concern is it disturbs comets in the cloud as it passes by, and some of these comets are sent on orbits that bring them into the inner solar system and one or more of them hit earth around every 26 million years, which we are overdue for now. So the comets are possibly the real danger not the brown dwarf itself. A comet coming in would definitely be a disaster, which ties into comet elenin.

Correct, the Nemesis hypothesis is that an unseen companion with a highly elliptical orbit sends a swarm of comets heading inward from the (hypothetical) Oort Cloud every 30,000 years or so. Dozens of comets pass through the inner solar system every year, so Elenin is in no way unusual or dangerous; it is the hypothetical massive swarm that would be dangerous.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have to admit, it does get frustrating when some ops do not read the entire piece they are quoting. Please note the comma preceding the "comets between mars and jupiter" statement. And plus... Don't you think that a brown dwarf between those two planets wouldn't have been known by now? I am not sure who is worse here, the ops who doesn't understand comma usage or those who refuse to take the time to understand what the report really meant.

(sigh)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

If an ELE type event were to be occurring in the near future, I think it would be silly to underestimate just how much time, effort and money would be put into keeping it a secret. Certainly, they would make sure that a few lone internet researchers would have no way in hell of proving said event, perhaps they could even use well intentioned skeptics to their advantage?

Then why are they holding public conferences and urging international co-operation on Planetary Defense?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You're title is bogus. Thanks for adding to ATS in a way which makes for another comic topic.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Originally posted by Skewed
I tend to shy away from threads like this. What I would like to know is, if this dwarf star is in relative vicinity and heading towards us or the sun, would we not see affects of this star as it progressed closer and closer? Wouldn't we eventually start seeing gravitational affects on other planets as it got closer. As it got closer and depending on where other planets happened to be at the time I would think we would be seeing affects on Neptune, Uranus and Saturn before the affects would be seen on Earth. As this "thing" gets closer have there been reports of at least other planets orbit trajectory having anomalies in them.

I do not know, I am asking.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

There is an argument that we have felt the effects already, such as the quakes in New Zealand, Chile and Japan along with increased volcanism all across the world, evidence of rampant and abrupt weather changes and flooding of half the continent of Australia, quite a few things gone awry in a VERY short amount of time no?

All those quakes occurred in allignments. There are papers submitted to Cornwell university about all quakes of 8.6 and over being from allignments for a very long time of study.

The recent ones were Elenin. Alot of damage from a mere comet.

I have a feeling Elenin isn't a typical comet but a code for something else.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join