It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has Released Info on Brown Dwarf Star Between Jupiter and Mars

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
reply to post by felonius

Well, depends on the impending disaster:

If it's a local event then probably try to help my family and others, give support in every way I can help and simply continue on with life as usual.

However, if it's an ELE event, I am outer here.

Thanks for asking,

Peace

edit on 27-4-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

I gotta shovel if you gotta wheel barrow!

If we do survive, it'll take both of us!

BTW, how do you like your rabbit cooked?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by polarwarrior

If an ELE type event were to be occurring in the near future, I think it would be silly to underestimate just how much time, effort and money would be put into keeping it a secret. Certainly, they would make sure that a few lone internet researchers would have no way in hell of proving said event, perhaps they could even use well intentioned skeptics to their advantage?

Then why are they holding public conferences and urging international co-operation on Planetary Defense?

LOL whats that got to do with my point, you must of linked to the wrong thing, the link you gave is titled "protecting earth from asteroids" They are always going to prepare for asteroids and such. Even if they had a conference called "preparing for 2012" it still doesn't prove that they aren't hiding anything. I doubt you have been around this long, you see they have to maintain the illusion as though they do care about our safety so I'd still expect them to hold things like "protecting the earth from ELEs" conferences, because if they didn't it would look suss.

Again, don't underestimate them. You can't use what your own simple mind would do as a way to figure out what they are doing. So just because you wouldn't hold an asteroid conference if trying to hide 2012, doesn't mean they are going to do the same. I for one would hold all such conference as per normal, otherwise wouldn't people suspect something is up? Or perhpas form their own conference and stumble upon something?
edit on 28-4-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Again, don't underestimate them. You can't use what your own simple mind would do as a way to figure out what they are doing. So just because you wouldn't hold an asteroid conference if trying to hide 2012, doesn't mean they are going to do the same. I for one would hold all such conference as per normal, otherwise wouldn't people suspect something is up? Or perhpas form their own conference and stumble upon something?

In other words, no matter what they say or do, you will believe the opposite. You are entitled to that belief system, but I don't think it justifies calling my mind "simple."

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I know we have found other stars surrounded by a dust cloud, however I'm not sure if this would be equivalent to our Oort Cloud. The fact that we have found other stars surrounded by dust clouds does negate the claims of people like Lucus who say we can't see the approaching star because it is surrounded by a dust cloud.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yes! a dark mass in a nebula is an accretion disk, a birth of a new solar system, we've seen many of them out there. Some block the light of the star that is forming, we can only really tell by elemetal measurements and its electromagnetic spectrum.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
In other words, no matter what they say or do, you will believe the opposite. You are entitled to that belief system, but I don't think it justifies calling my mind "simple."

That is most certainly not the case, you've oversimplified it to the point of error..... so you have just proven your simple mindedness.

edit on 28-4-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It would be highly impossible to conceal an approaching Extinction Level Event in this day and age of communications and observations, and what would be the point if an Extinction Level Event occurs, by definition everything dies!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
what would be the point if an Extinction Level Event occurs, by definition everything dies!!!

???

Do you even know what an ELE is?

Not everything has to die. Do some reading.... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

It would be highly impossible to conceal an approaching Extinction Level Event in this day and age of communications and observations, and what would be the point if an Extinction Level Event occurs, by definition everything dies!!!

you do realize the government got away with 911, right ?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Was the Dust Bowl in the 1930's a ELE? By the descriptions I'm getting here WW II would be considered an ELE.

It kind of takes a bit of the intrinsic meaning away from Extinction Level doesn't it? It should be ALE–Alarming Level Event, or NELE–Near Extinction Level Event, or how about WHOA NELLE–Weird Hypothetical Omnipotent Attack Near Extinction Local Level Event, or WISE–Whatever I Say Event. Either way there should be a little more bite in the word choices.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Was the Dust Bowl in the 1930's a ELE? By the descriptions I'm getting here WW II would be considered an ELE.

It kind of takes a bit of the intrinsic meaning away from Extinction Level doesn't it? It should be ALE–Alarming Level Event, or NELE–Near Extinction Level Event, or how about WHOA NELLE–Weird Hypothetical Omnipotent Attack Near Extinction Local Level Event, or WISE–Whatever I Say Event. Either way there should be a little more bite in the word choices.

how about an extinction level event is an event that could potentially wipe out the majority of a species ?

ELE is an actual abbreviation and extinction level event is the FIRST definition of it

doesn't mean it's not impossible to survive ... if you're a human with a noggin

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Kind of like almost pregnant?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So......
Anyone else wondering what I'm wondering?

HEY OP!!!

echoes

chirping crickets

hmmm?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Did you read the wiki article? They can give you a good introduction to what an ELE is.

The name is appropriate.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The name is a name, when describing a catastrophic even I need some particulars outlined. Is it an impact, of what, what speed, what angle, where did it hit, how much ejecta is spread and for how long, is the sun blocked and for how long, how much of the earth's surface suffered blast, fire, or flood damage and to what degree?

Now if the sun is largely blocked for a month, surface plant life would die off, a few months and plankton in the sea would die leading to the death of most ocean life, which would lead to catastrophic poisoning of most of the earth's surface water further killing land plants, this is the bottom of the food chain.

Without plants, sea life, and clean water, and nowhere to plug in your water desalination or purification plants, one is left to gather miniscule amounts of condensation in water traps to barely quench a thirst let alone irrigate crops, besides the PH levels in the polluted soil would rule out farming in dirt. No plants, no cows and pigs, no breakfast.

So the mention of a ELE tells us nothing to base any scenarios on, and is hot air, hey! an analogy!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoinquirer

think about it for a second though

ELE

even if the earth doesn't get hit by an object, if a massivie pole shift ever happens what will happen to everything manmade?

nuclear power plants would go into melt down
offshore oil rigs would be destoryed
nukes could possibly detonate

no matter what if you went under ground the earth itself would not be livable for hundreds if not thousands of years

no yes pretty much nowadays an ELE would mean the end to all life on earth

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I don't think its off topic at all. The link the OP included suggest there is something in the Oort cloud knocking comets our way. You say its just dust and gas. Either its dust and gas, comets or both.

I'm just trying to understand if these comets are indeed coming from the Oort cloud. I thought it was theorized Pluto came from the Oort cloud? If we can see Pluto then I was just wondering why we couldn't see other Pluto's in other Oort clouds. If we can see 14 billion years in the past I would think we can see other Oort clouds if they exist.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Rest easy. There is no brown dwarf on the other side of Jupiter that kills everything every few million years. There IS a race of space aliens that do that very thing over there, but they drink a lot and aren't likely to bother us for another 200 more years.
THE MAN

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LosLobos

I'm just trying to understand if these comets are indeed coming from the Oort cloud. I thought it was theorized Pluto came from the Oort cloud? If we can see Pluto then I was just wondering why we couldn't see other Pluto's in other Oort clouds. If we can see 14 billion years in the past I would think we can see other Oort clouds if they exist.

I think you're confusing the Oort Cloud with the Kuiper Belt. The Kuiper Belt is an area outside of Neptune's orbit that has been shown to contain at least three "dwarf planets": Pluto, Sedna and Eris. The Oort cloud is much further away and has never actually been observed. It has been postulated to explain the origin of comets. It is possible that Comet Elenin originated there, or it may be a rogue traveler that drifted in from interstellar space. Tyche and Nemesis are entirely hypothetical, and would probably have been observed by now if the existed.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Very nice explanation but lets put a couple of numbers on this as well. Voyager spacecrafts are entering termination shock, the Heliosphere, a distance that will take them 5 years to traverse, this is the Kulper belt region, a mere 10 light days away. The Oort could is postulated as being from one to two light years distant, so the Voyagers have 40,000 more years to get there if indeed it exists. Comets from this region with astronomically long duration times may not even be under the influence of our sun's gravitational pull. It was also mentioned that Elenin never has orbited our sun, thus is an ejected interstellar frozen object, (possibly). We don't know for sure.

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join