It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has Released Info on Brown Dwarf Star Between Jupiter and Mars

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by regor77
reply to post by topdog30

Ok dude we got it. Move along now there is nothing to see here. have a cig and calm yourself.

No problem man, just tired of all the misleading threads going on here. By the way I haven't smoked in a little over two years

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
MWAHAHAHAHAAA OMG.
The local powers that be have recently erected a new housing estate across from where i am. Just noticed the name of the street today....COMET CLOSE.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I am so excited to see this! Can it be? YEAH!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DonnaLynn

I am so excited to see this! Can it be? YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Happy to see what? That people don't understand English? Have you read the thread?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. If we have an Oort cloud wouldn't it make sense other solar systems have Oort clouds? And if we've identified several candidate earth like planets wouldn't we also see some kind of Oort cloud around those systems?

That NASA link refers to the Oort cloud as "long-hypothesized".

Going back to high school for a second. A hypothesis is an educated guess. A theory is a hypothesis backed by evidence and observations.

The Oort cloud is still just a hypothesis correct? Which brings me back to my original question. Shouldn't we see Oort clouds around these distant systems we've discovered?
edit on 28-4-2011 by LosLobos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LosLobos
I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. If we have an Oort cloud wouldn't it make sense other solar systems have Oort clouds? And if we've identified several candidate earth like planets wouldn't we also see some kind of Oort cloud around those systems?

That NASA link refers to the Oort cloud as "long-hypothesized".

Going back to high school for a second. A hypothesis is an educated guess. A theory is a hypothesis backed by evidence and observations.

The Oort cloud is still just a hypothesis correct? Which brings me back to my original question. Shouldn't we see Oort clouds around these distant systems we've discovered?
edit on 28-4-2011 by LosLobos because: (no reason given)

Um, no, not really, because the Oort cloud is speculated to lie about one lightyear away from us.

What WISE has discovered is a fair bit farther out.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

We can only detect the most massive planets around other stars so far, nothing the size of earth, and most definably nothing the size of comets. Almost none of the discoveries are by visual observation, but by measurements of light, and wobble.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
87 flags for a mis-interpretation on a gramatically not too polished sentence.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Historically, the 'devil' has always had horns. This is due to the FACT that when a brown dwarf approaches a White Dwarf, or similarly hot star, it begins to ignite, turning a dark brown red at first and turning into a red star with poles being licked off by the more powerful suns solar winds...creating a red ball with curled red horns in the sky.

Just get ready; don't freak out, avoid population centers if possible, and relax, because there is NOTHING you can do about what entire civilizations of our ancient past have known about for centuries. The Holy Bible, the Quran, the Torah, the Gita and others...are all perceptually different, but between the lines, they are the same stories and the same prophecies. They are all guide books on what to expect and where to place your faith for each different culture around the world.

There IS but ONE God, and many servants of His and many servants who have fallen from his legions to cause havoc amongst humans.

Use your heads. This is all LOGIC, Psychology, and Actual Written History. Our current generation should learn from our ancestors, not interpret what we want fom what we find of their remains.

Enjoy life. You may just be one of the billions who won't make it. Enjoy life. You may just be one of the millions that make it through to write the stories that will help generations in the future know what is coming again.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTheTrees

Haven't you realized by now that topics based in logic and science are ignored, while topics that are sensationlistic and based in fearmongering draw all of the attention.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LosLobos

This is a question worthy of a proper thread. (And off topic in this one.) The Oort Cloud is hypothesized to be composed of dust and gas left over from the formation of our solar system. Since it does not seem to be impeding the light from other stars, it is presumably very rarefied. We might be able to detect such a cloud around another star if it were dense enough. Unfortunately, the nature of the solar systems so far discovered suggests that there may be fundamental flaws in our theories of planetary formation, or at least that the configuration of our Solar System is exceptional.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
it is saying it found a brown dwarf but it does not say where they found it ... its only saying it found 33,000 asteroids between mars and Jupiter not a a brown dwarf star

WISE is a NASA mission, launched in December 2009, which scanned the entire celestial sky at four infrared wavelengths about 1.5 times. It captured more than 2.7 million images of objects in space, ranging from faraway galaxies to asteroids and comets relatively close to Earth. Recently, WISE completed an extended mission, allowing it to finish a complete scan of the asteroid belt, and two complete scans of the more distant universe, in two infrared bands. So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Razz123

There not making anything clear...they THINK there is a planet tyche
edit on 28-4-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Q: When could data from WISE confirm or rule out the existence of the hypothesized planet Tyche?

A: It is too early to know whether WISE data confirms or rules out a large object in the Oort cloud. Analysis over the next couple of years will be needed to determine if WISE has actually detected such a world or not

In the next couple of years i guess that rules out 2012 doomsday lol

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by AboveTheTrees

Haven't you realized by now that topics based in logic and science are ignored, while topics that are sensationlistic and based in fearmongering draw all of the attention.

Oh
yes Xcalibur, I think I'm realizing by now. That would precisely define what the Dark Times are. Medieval Times where we run to bunkers to protect ourselves from a Brown Darf instead of reading what a Brown Dwarf is.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You people need to start reading the threads!!!! If you took the time to look down only a FEW posts on the FIRST page you would realize they are NOT saying there is a brown dwarf between Jupiter and Mars. The OP misinterpreted the article. READ the article and pay attention to commas. There is NO Brown Dwarf Star between Jupiter and Mars, and NASA did not say this or imply it in that article.

The title of this thread needs to be changed and if it isn't then the OP is intentionally misleading people and getting free flags for false claims. What's new on this site...
edit on 28-4-2011 by spacemanjupiter because: more complaining needed to be added

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Razz123

ok guys, this doesn't say there's a brown dwarf between jupiter and mars. the star, if it is one, is in the Oort cloud according to the article. it even says it's very distant. as in not in the asteroid belt.

So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

proposed the existence of a binary companion to our sun, larger than Jupiter, in the long-hypothesized "Oort cloud" -- a faraway repository of small icy bodies at the edge of our solar system.

im fairly sure it DOESNT say what your sensationalist title does

EDIT: lmao just read the post above mine. sincerest apologies

EDIT 2: well now nevermind. this thread indeed IS ridiculous. there's no brown dwarf. there. Title needs to be changed. Idk if it's genuine misinterpretation or purposefully misleading

edit on 28-4-2011 by universaltruth because: hahaha yeah....

edit on 28-4-2011 by universaltruth because: felt like it

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
ATS really needs a shaming system. Kind of an anti-flag, maybe a thumbs down or something, so when people post deliberately misleading thread titles we can shame them.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Read it again..It does not say what the O.P. is claiming.

NOWHERE in the article does NASA even mention a brown dwarf star between Jupiter and Mars. It says there may be a brown dwarf in the Oort cloud, which.. anyone even slightly interested in this subject should know does not reside between Jupiter and Mars.

Edit: Eh I guess others saw this.. I couldn't read past the article and first page of discussion for all the complaining I wanted to do. Glad to see other people here are calling out the B.S.
edit on 28-4-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Nice find, and a great read. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join