It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Sadly, all great empires of fallen. Rome as an example. They were once a proud society. But when the Senators of that society thought that thier efforts of intervention were for the best for its people, what happen? Chaos ensued, wars and unrest occurred, which was ultimately the fall of Roma. ( Yes there was alot more involved, but you get the point )
Now, fast forward to present. What are we seeing? Are we seeing government intervention? Are we seeing needless spending on Unconstitutional social programs? How bout the over expenditure for the Military complex? The list goes on and on, but the point that should be driven home, is the very fact that all great empires fall. History repeats itself. China once fell, Russia as well. Now, it is inevitable that the US should fall. Our beloved leaders have not learned from past mistakes, instead they make more mistakes......in the name of National Security.
Originally posted by Anon404
Housing. US housing has become too high. Buying a home should not cost much more than a years wage. These prices also trickle down to those who pay rent. Soon homelessness will be rife if these prices cannot fall. Homes should be homes not money market speculative investments.
Originally posted by Hessling
Folks, I’ve been politically passionate for many years. During this time I’ve seen scandals, bad decisions, foreign misadventures, economic crisis’s and so forth. While it is easily understood America is far from perfect, what has been going on the last 10+ years is nothing short of insanity.
This Can't Be Happening In America
1) At war in 3 nations, each of which it attacked and 2 of which it occupies.
2) Runs secret torture cells on some of its distant military bases and contracts out other torture, while it also runs "kill teams" where it chooses. It even has a private army of highly paid "contractors," little of which it discloses to the American people.
3) Seizes people it deems terrorists, those it doesn't kill, and locks them up indefinitely, in many cases no charges, no trials, no rule of law.
4) Censors its wars from the American people, many of whom are indifferent to the suffering our beloved nation is causing. U.S. news media often cooperates with the government but not WikiLeaks nor Aljazeera but most Americans ignore it. No military draft, no interest.
5) Censors even the horrors its wars cause its own soldiers and their families. Once again, the U.S. news media often cooperates telling few stories or sharing few pictures, making these people largely invisible, left to bear their pain in silence and in a cloak of secrecy.
6) Once the greatest manufacturing powerhouse the world had ever seen, most U.S. manufacturing has been shipped overseas. But there still is a sizable amount of U.S. manufacturing as the government contracts with manufacturers to build weapons of mass destruction and deadly delivery systems such as jet fighters and drones in most Congressional Districts across America. All at taxpayer's expense.
7) Because of reckless government spending and huge trade deficits, the U.S. dollar which was long the gold standard of currencies is now so weak, many investors prefer gold or even other currencies as the dollar sinks in value.
8) Once the U.S. ran the greatest financial surpluses since the British Empire was at its peak. Now it is the world's biggest debtor nation running a borrowing and printing Ponzi Scheme to pay its bills.
9) Standard & Poor's, a globally respected credit rating agency threatened to downgrade the U.S.'s debt securities, the first step at what could lead in stages to having it declared "Junk." That would send interest rates through the stratosphere, making it cost prohibitive for home mortgages and small business borrowing and destroying the value left in the dollar. Newport Beach, CA based Pimco, the world's largest bond investor has already sold off its holdings in U.S. government debt.
10) To sustain and expand its military machine, the U.S. government would sacrifice Medicare, Medicaid, its educational system, its police and fire protection and other programs that bring quality of life to its citizens and protect its children and its poor and frail.
I’ve watched these events unfold right in front of my eyes and feel as though I’m in a car accident whereby everything turns to slow-motion and I feel powerless to do anything other than accept the inevitable.
I used to “fight” by voting in every election. However, it seems as though our elected leaders no longer care about us. Recently elections just seem like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Also, there is very little doubt that the media is not doing the job they were intended to do.
For those of you who have been politically awake for years, I’d like to know your take on this. Perhaps you’d like to add to this list?
Younger friends of mine do not understand why I’m freaking out over current events. They consider it “normal”.
Perpetual war…Wall Street bailouts…rampant unemployment…rich vs. poor gap reaching preposterous levels…sky rocketing inflation despite government numbers stating there is no inflation…blatantly illegal actions taken by elites with absolutely no repercussions forthcoming.
Damn it! This is NOT normal.
I simply want to know how in the heck we reached this point and within a breathtakingly short span of time in relation to our history? Do you think we can ever go back and restore our honor?
(MODS: I took my best guess on Forum selection. Please feel free to move as necessary.)
Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by Hessling
People, especially the younger generation, need to wake up and open their eyes to whats going on around them. Turn off the ipod, get off your x-box, put down your double mocha, half calf imitation coffee and see what this country is becoming. Our rights are being stripped away at an alarming rate and the younger generation has no idea why youre freaking out? They see this as normal
Originally posted by beezzer
T'is why I joined the Tea Party.
But hey, different strokes and all. Get active in your community. Speak up, speak out.
And do not go gentle into that dark night.. . .
Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by beezzer
You mean you joined the CLONE party, as in a clone of the Republican party, now with 50% more fiscal responsibility?
Until the Tea Party gets over its' obsession with Obama's birth certificate and cutting social programs instead of defense programs, it is just another friggin' joke!