posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:26 PM
Folks, I’ve been politically passionate for many years. During this time I’ve seen scandals, bad decisions, foreign misadventures, economic
crisis’s and so forth. While it is easily understood America is far from perfect, what has been going on the last 10+ years is nothing short of
This Can't Be Happening In America
1) At war in 3 nations, each of which it attacked and 2 of which it occupies.
2) Runs secret torture cells on some of its distant military bases and contracts out other torture, while it also runs "kill teams" where it
chooses. It even has a private army of highly paid "contractors," little of which it discloses to the American people.
3) Seizes people it deems terrorists, those it doesn't kill, and locks them up indefinitely, in many cases no charges, no trials, no rule of law.
4) Censors its wars from the American people, many of whom are indifferent to the suffering our beloved nation is causing. U.S. news media often
cooperates with the government but not WikiLeaks nor Aljazeera but most Americans ignore it. No military draft, no interest.
5) Censors even the horrors its wars cause its own soldiers and their families. Once again, the U.S. news media often cooperates telling few stories
or sharing few pictures, making these people largely invisible, left to bear their pain in silence and in a cloak of secrecy.
6) Once the greatest manufacturing powerhouse the world had ever seen, most U.S. manufacturing has been shipped overseas. But there still is a sizable
amount of U.S. manufacturing as the government contracts with manufacturers to build weapons of mass destruction and deadly delivery systems such as
jet fighters and drones in most Congressional Districts across America. All at taxpayer's expense.
7) Because of reckless government spending and huge trade deficits, the U.S. dollar which was long the gold standard of currencies is now so weak,
many investors prefer gold or even other currencies as the dollar sinks in value.
8) Once the U.S. ran the greatest financial surpluses since the British Empire was at its peak. Now it is the world's biggest debtor nation running a
borrowing and printing Ponzi Scheme to pay its bills.
9) Standard & Poor's, a globally respected credit rating agency threatened to downgrade the U.S.'s debt securities, the first step at what could
lead in stages to having it declared "Junk." That would send interest rates through the stratosphere, making it cost prohibitive for home mortgages
and small business borrowing and destroying the value left in the dollar. Newport Beach, CA based Pimco, the world's largest bond investor has
already sold off its holdings in U.S. government debt.
10) To sustain and expand its military machine, the U.S. government would sacrifice Medicare, Medicaid, its educational system, its police and fire
protection and other programs that bring quality of life to its citizens and protect its children and its poor and frail.
I’ve watched these events unfold right in front of my eyes and feel as though I’m in a car accident whereby everything turns to slow-motion and I
feel powerless to do anything other than accept the inevitable.
I used to “fight” by voting in every election. However, it seems as though our elected leaders no longer care about us. Recently elections just
seem like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Also, there is very little doubt that the media is not doing the job they were intended to do.
For those of you who have been politically awake for years, I’d like to know your take on this. Perhaps you’d like to add to this list?
Younger friends of mine do not understand why I’m freaking out over current events. They consider it “normal”.
Perpetual war…Wall Street bailouts…rampant unemployment…rich vs. poor gap reaching preposterous levels…sky rocketing inflation despite
government numbers stating there is no inflation…blatantly illegal actions taken by elites with absolutely no repercussions forthcoming.
Damn it! This is NOT normal.
I simply want to know how in the heck we reached this point and within a breathtakingly short span of time in relation to our history? Do you think
we can ever go back and restore our honor?
(MODS: I took my best guess on Forum selection. Please feel free to move as necessary.)