It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Quake just hit Soloman Islands Area

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I asked this question before,you say you have not seen a big one right after a big one before ,but are we not living in different times now??......With the pole shifting does this not create a whole different set of circumstances on this planet?

edit on 24-4-2011 by StarLightStarBright2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShakenAwake

when you zoom in on the islands thru the live map it shows 2 separate quakes at different depths..

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

does that mean the quake was centred between 2 sensors? recorded on both with the average being right or was there infact 2 quakes?

You guys should include - www.geonet.org.nz - as the maps you show seem to ignore NZ.
Christchurch had another 4.3 today.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

It is normal.
The Solomon Islands are always undergoing high levels of seismic activity.

It is normal is it? In the post above, which I assume you have read, I believe I pointed out that this activity since the beginning of 2010 is not 'normal' at least in recent years.

If you have studied the area and find my determination to be incorrect then I would be pleased to see your take on this. Maybe it is a matter of what is defined as normal for this area?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

You guys should include - www.geonet.org.nz - as the maps you show seem to ignore NZ.
Christchurch had another 4.3 today.

Don't Worry muzzy and others keep us well up to date with the New Zealand data on the QuakeWatch thread.

I have to thank you for you comment however since I normally collect the data from Geonet every 5 minutes and I just noticed that this has stopped working. Off to investigate why!!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

I asked this question before,you say you have not seen a big one right after a big one before ,but are we not living in different times now??......With the pole shifting does this not create a whole different set of circumstances on this planet?

Well first may I say I did say that it was not possible, only that it was not known in the past century.

May we clarify which 'pole shifting' we are talking about here? The movement of the magnetic pole creates no circumstances that I am aware of that have a cataclysmic effect on this planet. None of this activity in the Solomons for example could reasonably, in my opinion, be attributed to that.

You should remember that whilst the movement of the magnetic pole has speeded up it is only a relatively recently discovered thing.

His first taste of polar exploration came in 1818 aboard ISABELLA when, as a young midshipman, he joined his uncle, Sir John Ross, on an expedition to locate the Northwest Passage. A crowning achievement came in the spring of 1831 when he and his uncle, aboard VICTORY, discovered the North Magnetic Pole.

Source; South Pole .com - quite an interesting site for other information as well.

So discovery in 1831 compared to the 4.5 billion year history of this planet means that we have known of this for about 1 / 22,500,000th of the history of the planet. Many flips of magnetism have taken place, and undoubtedly the pole has wandered before, in fact I believe it has been demonstrated that it has been on the current equator at times.

No I don't therefore believe that there is a whole different set of circumstances. The planet we live on is an active system. There will be changes both up and down in activity of ALL the systems of the planet. None of these are 'out of the ordinary'. Some of the natural changes in the planet's systems may be a problem for the biological organisms that live on the planet, but that is of little relevance to the planet as a whole.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

Big Thank You!!!

My program is now fixed and I am getting the NZ data every 5 minutes.

Goodness knows how long it would have been before I spotted that. Probably not until the next notable one.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

This guy's post collects all these stars (not showing in this post) before the mods decide to remove it as being off topic??? Their second job must be working alone at nights as an air traffic controller.

edit on 24-4-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join