It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Quake just hit Soloman Islands Area

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Coming in on GEE into the MM/S range.

Estimate:

6+

Not sure

Watch USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Fri Apr 22nd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Wow:

Look at the thickness of that thing. Saturated out the station....That may be bigger, might be revised up...

From the map it was close to an island, but right off the subduction zone....and the PTWC has no alert that I can see:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

If it did create a tsunami, it was on them in minutes....or less.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Magnitude
6.9 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time
Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 04:16:55 UTC
Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 03:16:55 PM at epicenter
Depth
98 km (60.9 miles) set by location program
Region
SOLOMON ISLANDS
Distances
56 km (35 miles) W (271°) from Kira Kira, Solomon Islands
194 km (121 miles) SE (124°) from HONIARA, Solomon Islands
204 km (127 miles) SSE (157°) from Auki, Solomon Islands
1561 km (970 miles) E (95°) from PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea
Location Uncertainty
Error estimate not available
Parameters
NST= 25, Nph= 25, Dmin=196.3 km, Rmss=1.24 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1
Source
West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS
Event ID
at00lk37w8

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It seems like the Earth is starting to wake up. Does this have any connection with the Sun waking up? I think so.

I hope everyone is okay.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
It seems like the Earth is starting to wake up. Does this have any connection with the Sun waking up? I think so.

I hope everyone is okay.

What exactly do you mean "waking up?"

Is the Sun getting brighter?

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

abovetopsecret.com...

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 23/4/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Just saw it myself...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Isn't this at the bottom of that plate you were worried about?
edit on 22-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

I hope everyone is okay.

What exactly do you mean "waking up?"

Is the Sun getting brighter?

Yes it is. We are entering the solar maximum.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

It is likely that a tsunami was generated. The maximum tsunami wave height near the coast of Apaoro will be 0.03m.

www.newsroomamerica.com...:98km%29_in_solomon_is._%28apaoro%29_23/4_04:16utc,_pop100km:60000,_tsuna mi_3cm:_,apaoro_www.gdacs.org_-_jrc.html

So small tsunami likely generated. Unless they revise up this quake. Which they might. When a station gets saturated out, they have to review other stations. This happened recently on the big Japan quake, which came up originally as a 7.9.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Are you gonna make a thread everytime there is seismic activity somewhere in the world? Don't you think your being a little reduntant with all these similar posts?

You can do what you want however I'm just not seeing the point your trying to get across. Why don't you just make one thread and update it everytime usgs puts out a new chart or something. Nothing really relevant here to merit it's own thread.

Wow, first of all TrueAmerican is a valued and very respected member here at ats. Second, a 6.9 earthquake is not normal, in fact christchurch was only a 6.3. This is news and thank you TA for keeping us informed, I found out about this hours earlier than I would have thanks to you, and that to me is the best part of this site, real time news.

As for the earthquake, it looks to me that the whole pacific plate is coming alive with larger earthquakes, I hope Cali is t next because the cascade and San andres would be Japan all over again
edit on 22-4-2011 by KevinB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Another very informative post.
Seriously thank you TA for keeping us all updated, it can be a thankless job I'm sure.
..Peace..

link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Any chance to enlightening us on to what solar maximum is/means? Hotter summers?

link   
Here we go again....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I enjoy these threads, and I joined only three days ago because I live within 100 miles of the Hawthorne swarm. The Long Valley caldera last erupted about six hundred years ago, and I for one want to stay informed. Keep them coming!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Thank you for your posts. I have the app on my phone, but sometimes don't check it. Today was one of those days. So thanks again for all your helpful information!

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Dude, you need to complain somewhere else, this is ATS.

Educate yourself...and while your at it learn something instead of spouting off.

This is in the Ring Of Fire...and a deep quake. Thanks for posting True American

edit on 23-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by KevinB
Second, a 6.9 earthquake is not normal, in fact christchurch was only a 6.7-6.8. This is news and thank you TA for keeping us informed, I found out about this hours earlier than I would have thanks to you, and that to me is the best part of this site, real time news.

As for the earthquake, it looks to me that the whole pacific plate is coming alive with larger earthquakes, I hope Cali is t next because the cascade and San andres would be Japan all over again

Actually Christchurch was only 6.3! Not that I believed it at the time - it felt like a monster much bigger than the 7.1 we had in September. Thanks to the OP for the post. The only reason I found this (highly fascinating and hugely addictive) forum was in my search for answers to the earthquake fears I'm harbouring and my need to try and answer all the questions I have bouncing around in my head! There is some riveting stuff posted here, and I'm pleased to have a place where it seems latest events are flagged and discussed. Particularly where it concerns the *ring of fire* and might impact us (again!) down here in the shaky south of NZ

Anyway - guess I should really go and post an intro now

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
when you zoom in on the islands thru the live map it shows 2 separate quakes at different depths..

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

does that mean the quake was centred between 2 sensors? recorded on both with the average being right or was there infact 2 quakes?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude
reply to post by kro32

I enjoy these threads, and I joined only three days ago because I live within 100 miles of the Hawthorne swarm. The Long Valley caldera last erupted about six hundred years ago, and I for one want to stay informed. Keep them coming!

Try 700,000 years ago but why bicker over a few numbers

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Alright then...the last volcanic activity within the caldera. My bad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join