It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Quake just hit Soloman Islands Area

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Are you gonna make a thread everytime there is seismic activity somewhere in the world? Don't you think your being a little reduntant with all these similar posts?

You can do what you want however I'm just not seeing the point your trying to get across. Why don't you just make one thread and update it everytime usgs puts out a new chart or something. Nothing really relevant here to merit it's own thread.

I would imagine the point is to alert us lurkers of new and pertinent information that is not available from many other sources that wont get buried pages deep in a thread. Each event may affect us by way of family or friends who may be in harms way.

In addition, each event is unique in its own right and may merit it's own discussion.

Thank you True American for this and your other posts and contributions. I have learned a lot from you and your kind as an appreciative lurker.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thank You for posting that OP, I appreciate it when someone lets us know when another Earthquake happens.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thank you TrueAmerican, I always watch for your posts.

According to Wikipedia, in April 2007 a tsunami, the result of an 8.1 earthquake, destroyed more than 900 homes in the Solomon Islands.

Hopefully they have fared better this time.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thanks you guys for all the nice posts supporting me. I know YOU know what I am doing, and I consider you my friends! There is nothing wrong with observations and notifications on these larger quakes. I don't start threads on anything less than 6.5 usually unless it is a critical area, or swarm going down...like next to LV...

If you will look at the phase data for this quake, you will see that the first few stations provide no mag estimate, cause the stations saturated out, as I noted previously. Note that some stations phase data has it up as high as 7.4.

neic.usgs.gov...
edit on Sat Apr 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Whatever, it's still an active volcanic region. The last series of volcanic activity actually took place between 100 and 200 years ago, forming one of the islands in Mono Lake, according to wikipedia. It's been many years since I was in a geology class, but my professor said it still has the potential to explode as it did x number of thousands of years ago.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by painterdude

WHY are we talking about LV in a thread about a quake in the Solomon Islands?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Thank you for the update True American and I hope that everyone there is alright.

I really enjoy reading your threads, and I always learn something new from the information that you share. That is why I like the Fragile Earth forum.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Quakes of this magitude are not uncommon in the area and are unlikely to cause any major tsunami. May be some small local damage, but it looks like it was quite a deep quake.

Found this useful non-governmental site (though I can't vouch for its accuracy):

earthquake-report.com...

And if you look on the USGS website you cans ee there have been quite a few mag 5+ quakes in the pacific this week alone. It's quite a prone region.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Edit: here's a map and list of all the quakes in the past month around the world. We do live on a very shaky planet!

neic.usgs.gov...
edit on 23-4-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Saw this on the live earthquake map when i got home tonight,hope no one was hurt...I knew if i came here you would have the info on it!....Thank you!

I am wondering when i see 3...6.9 at the same time on the link below are they all one that last awhile or what?....2 are at the same depth and one is different....

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

I think it's because some agencies choose to relist them with changes rather than just updating them. JMA does the same thing sometimes. A quick way to know is just look at the UTC or local time of the quake provided. If it is identical, then it is just a relist. Could be the depth changed, or magnitude, or location, as more data is analyzed and the picture becomes clearer.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thank you that makes sense!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Are you gonna make a thread everytime there is seismic activity somewhere in the world? Don't you think your being a little reduntant with all these similar posts?

You can do what you want however I'm just not seeing the point your trying to get across. Why don't you just make one thread and update it everytime usgs puts out a new chart or something. Nothing really relevant here to merit it's own thread.

Well...i don't mind it at all! I still havn't heard anything about it on the news and its 7:45am my time! If he were to just keep updating the same thread no one new would even realize it unless they have commented on the old one!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Because one thread gets incredibly long and difficult to wade through to find any new information. I enjoy the updates as presented, as it is interesting to me and obviousley many others besides you. Why don't you just not look at the threads and keep your negative comments to yourself. Seems thats all you do...sock puppet much? I await you anger and vehemence...it is very predictible by all the threads I see you on.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Thank you Trua American for keeping updated with new activity. Someone was wondering why you don't just make a thread with all the updates - well, who wants to scroll forever through all the pages looking for certain areas, AND on top of that, have to put up with wasted space of someone jumping on ridiculing you every time you make a thread. It's like an irratating fly.

The threads I don't agree with, I do one of two things:
Hold my comments, and continue reading with an open mind,
or
click on another thread I am more interested in. Pretty simple.

anyway, thank you very much for your thread updates. By the way, 6. earthquakes are something to post about because they can shake pretty good - I have been in them.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join