It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone need a good Job??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Multi-store managers do well, that's about it. My unemployment pays more.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If McDonalds was the last job on earth
I'd sell my ass down on the street corner.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
One other thing... What other weird things have happened on an April 19th in the past? Why a Tuesday as well?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Yeah, I need a good job - but with limitations. I cannot stand for more than 1/2 hour at a time and need, therefore, a desk job.

Micky D's jobs were mentioned here before, and I still am an arthritic old lady, so this still is no solution for me.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Fast food isn't the best job but it is a JOB. I did it for 5 yrs and in that time frame I worked my way up the ladder. After 2 years I was an assistant manager making double what I started out at plus great benefits, 401k and excellent health insurance. I didn't like it at first, I was actually ashamed but when I knew I was worth something I took my work seriously, got promoted and made somewhat descent money. 25k a year isn't bad for a 24yr old highschool drop out I don't think. It's not great but It kept my head above water. I was also being groomed to run my own restaurant which I wouldve had within 1 or 2 years. I hit some very bad luck which is why I am not there now but that is a story for another time.

I learned soo much from my experience working fast food. It helped me grow as an adult and as a parent. Just dealing with the customers and the crew members, it gives you an appreciation and understanding for people of all types. And to think, I made an impact on some young kids lives. If I see an old crew member out on the streets or what ever they always come up to me and still tell me what a great experience they had working with/for me. Even some regular customers still recognize me in the grocery store and I havn't worked there in over 5 years. Hell, I've even hooked up with some women that pursued me from remembering me from working there

My point is, work is what you make it. Regardless of what you do, go into work with PMA (positive mental attitude, something I learned from working there
) and maybe not off the bat but eventually it will make it somewhat worth while.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
are any of you guys pilots, they are looking for a few good men

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If some of you decide to applyplease keep us up to date

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
didn't Obama just sell them an Obamacarekilldeathtax exemption
so THEY don't have to pay for health care like other employers have to do?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlackOps

There are worse jobs, but not many.
It might be a good first job, but not exactly the shining example of career paths.

edit on 19-4-2011 by SlackOps because: grammar

Thankyou Captain Obvious for pointing out that his career path isn't a "shining example" of a wonderful career.

Its obvious this is a path for people who didn't spend 100 grand going to school.

And as to "there are worse jobs but not many"

It's better than A TON of jobs that i see people working. Fish factories, butchers, slaughter houses, painting walls inhaling chemicals, ripping up flooring for dirt pay, the list goes on , and on, and on , and on.

Mcdonalds is , all stigmas aside, a great opportunity for someone without the means or interest in getting a degree.

To call it less is simply bashing it for no reason.

Yes, you will actually be "working" for the time you are at "work" , but how does that make it one of the worst possible jobs? you dont do heavy lifting, the temperatures are reasonable, you get all your breaks, there is a proper business structure and quite frankly, pretty good working conditions.

I will not post anymore in this thread tonight im tired of it lol, but for real, some of you people need a dose of reality.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by donkeystyle
I've been up and down like a rollercoaster, worked jobs ripping up carpet for 11 an hour, and worked as a plumber making upwards of 500 a day. It has been pounded into me by my parents that working any job is better than being on welfare, or being homeless, or being a begger. If "any" job can be a job with potential promotions and a lot of potential growth, it would be a lot better than working at many companies with zero opportunity for advancement..

Or we can eliminate the need for money and get rid of the "work ethic," replacing it with the Betterment Ethic, thereby Each being able to work in Their bliss as opposed to having to be a slave.

The feeling of coming home after a day of hard work is the same satisfying feeling no matter what job you work. Its that feeling of honest accomplishment and working towards something better.

I have only had that feeling when I came home from volunteering for the Red Cross. Jobs? I have always wanted to do something other than my job - though I have always done it to the best of my ability. Coming home was merely relief with the dread of the next day pushed back so I could enjoy what little time was actually mine.

And let's face it... How much satisfaction, how much accomplishment is there in serving poison to people?

I don't know how old you are or what your life situation is like, or your past. But there are a ton of people that need jobs now, or face the very scary prospect of going homeless ( a dark place i have been before) .

I have been there as well. Though they say the unemployment rate is what? 10%? 12%? - that is just the tip of a very large berg. Easily double that figure to include the vast many who have dropped off the unemployment rolls. Their lies won't tell you the truth of the situation.

Let me tell you , working a job and knowing where your next paycheck is coming from, and how that next rent payment is going to be made, is INFINITELY better and less stressful than being broke and jobless.

I wouldn't say "infinitely better..." It depends on the job and the company. People say I'm too picky because the one place I won't look for work is WalMart. Given that I loathe - and I do mean LOATHE - the personnel policies and the business tactics of WalMart, could I manage to work for them without killing myself? Hard to tell...but I think I would not last 6 months.

I don't know when people got so stuffy about honest, non-glorious work.

Well, all work - unless it is your bliss - is wage slavery. The corporations make the money off the backs of the slaves, and instead of providing needs (food, clothing, shelter) which is expensive, they leave it to the slave to take the pittance and dole it out as far as it goes, ridding them of the management problems keeping outright slaves creates.

There is nothing "honest" about this (ab)use of Human energy.

And im not "just agreeing with a mod" . Speaking for myself, my mother got a job while raising 2 kids and moved to the city by herself, and did fantastic. My grandfather came back from the war and became a farmer, and later got a job flipping lines at CN railways. If i out of work and saying i was too good to work an honest job while i either go to school at night to try for something better, or the myriad of other options, my family would feel ashamed of me. And my grandfather would probably want to knock some sense into me.

That's because they believe the lie of the "work ethic" which was pushed by the PTB to hide the fact that we are slaves and through economics we are forced to work. Meanwhile, there were more jobs when your mother did what she did, and your grandfather. And if you went into great debt to learn a "good" trade or skill, wouldn't you feel devastated if all you got for that was McDonalds - and the inability to pay back the debt?

Really hard to motivate under those conditions.

Eliminate the need for money, instill the Betterment Ethic, follow Your bliss - within the three Laws.

To see how, please read the op's in two of my threads - linked in my sig - The End of Entropy is the foundation (read first) and The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform is the structure.

Pass it along if you want to be a part of the solution.
edit on 4/19/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo and tags

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

There was a thread on this a week or two ago, and I will put the same thing in here as I did that one.

I have had a million jobs, and McDonalds is my all-time favorite!! I worked there through highschool, and I loved it. I even have a pat answer for job interviews when they ask me to describe my favorite job. I always go back to my McDonald's example.

It is fast-paced, and instantly rewarding, the hours fly-by. It is easy to stand out and make a name for yourself in there. You get to interact with a lot of people. You get to work in a team environment where people will appreciate you for doing a good job, because it makes everyone else's jobs easier. There is plenty of room for advancement.

(This part gets left out, or toned down in the interview answer, LOL!) Plus, in the 20 years since leaving McDonalds, I have never held another job where so many girls were eager to get my number and take me home!! It is amazing how popular a decent looking, intelligent guy can be at a McDonalds! I got numbers out of the drivethru, the front counter, and my coworkers! I think at one point, I had slept with every single female in the store, including 2 of my managers!! I had notes waiting on my car every single night after work. It was unreal!

Plus, I made a couple of lifelong friends from there. I am still in touch with 4 or 5 people from my time working at McDonalds.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by donkeystyle
I've been up and down like a rollercoaster, worked jobs ripping up carpet for 11 an hour, and worked as a plumber making upwards of 500 a day. It has been pounded into me by my parents that working any job is better than being on welfare, or being homeless, or being a begger. If "any" job can be a job with potential promotions and a lot of potential growth, it would be a lot better than working at many companies with zero opportunity for advancement..

Or we can eliminate the need for money and get rid of the "work ethic," replacing it with the Betterment Ethic, thereby Each being able to work in Their bliss as opposed to having to be a slave.

The feeling of coming home after a day of hard work is the same satisfying feeling no matter what job you work. Its that feeling of honest accomplishment and working towards something better.

I have only had that feeling when I came home from volunteering for the Red Cross. Jobs? I have always wanted to do something other than my job - though I have always done it to the best of my ability. Coming home was merely relief with the dread of the next day pushed back so I could enjoy what little time was actually mine.

And let's face it... How much satisfaction, how much accomplishment is there in serving poison to people?

I don't know how old you are or what your life situation is like, or your past. But there are a ton of people that need jobs now, or face the very scary prospect of going homeless ( a dark place i have been before) .

I have been there as well. Though they say the unemployment rate is what? 10%? 12%? - that is just the tip of a very large berg. Easily double that figure to include the vast many who have dropped off the unemployment rolls. Their lies won't tell you the truth of the situation.

Let me tell you , working a job and knowing where your next paycheck is coming from, and how that next rent payment is going to be made, is INFINITELY better and less stressful than being broke and jobless.

I wouldn't say "infinitely better..." It depends on the job and the company. People say I'm too picky because the one place I won't look for work is WalMart. Given that I loathe - and I do mean LOATHE - the personnel policies and the business tactics of WalMart, could I manage to work for them without killing myself? Hard to tell...but I think I would not last 6 months.

I don't know when people got so stuffy about honest, non-glorious work.

Well, all work - unless it is your bliss - is wage slavery. The corporations make the money off the backs of the slaves, and instead of providing needs (food, clothing, shelter) which is expensive, they leave it to the slave to take the pittance and dole it out as far as it goes, ridding them of the management problems keeping outright slaves creates.

There is nothing "honest" about this (ab)use of Human energy.

And im not "just agreeing with a mod" . Speaking for myself, my mother got a job while raising 2 kids and moved to the city by herself, and did fantastic. My grandfather came back from the war and became a farmer, and later got a job flipping lines at CN railways. If i out of work and saying i was too good to work an honest job while i either go to school at night to try for something better, or the myriad of other options, my family would feel ashamed of me. And my grandfather would probably want to knock some sense into me.

That's because they believe the lie of the "work ethic" which was pushed by the PTB to hide the fact that we are slaves and through economics we are forced to work. Meanwhile, there were more jobs when your mother did what she did, and your grandfather. And if you went into great debt to learn a "good" trade or skill, wouldn't you feel devastated if all you got for that was McDonalds - and the inability to pay back the debt?

Really hard to motivate under those conditions.

Eliminate the need for money, instill the Betterment Ethic, follow Your bliss - within the three Laws.

To see how, please read the op's in two of my threads - linked in my sig - The End of Entropy is the foundation (read first) and The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform is the structure.

Pass it along if you want to be a part of the solution.
edit on 4/19/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo and tags

So "work ethic' is pushed by TPTB? ok, i guess for THOUSANDS of years anyone who works for a living is a slave. Even if they get a house, food, and goods in return?

I TOTALLY disagree with your perspective, you seem to have bought into a concept of sitting around doing nothing and being rewarded. I hope i misunderstood you, but everything about your post and previous posts makes me think you just want to collect disability insurance or welfare, and bash anyone who works for someone else.

I'll give you an example of why employment is exactly the opposite of slavery.

A tradesman who earns 30 an hour hires someone new and pays him 10 an hour. Now that tradesman is making 35 an hour, because he is more productive with his 10 dollar an hour helper.

Now, in your world, the employee making 10 an hour is a slave, and being "used". But in the REAL world, he is getting an OPPORTUNITY to learn the ropes, he gets paid enough to enjoy his life, and within a couple of years he will be earning upwards of 15 or 20 an hour.

Now, I guess to you, a proper business model is a design of slavery and human abuse. But it's a totally self righteous and diluted perspective. We would all be dead if everyone had your mindset.

"Or we can eliminate the need for money and get rid of the "work ethic," replacing it with the Betterment Ethic, thereby Each being able to work in Their bliss as opposed to having to be a slave."

Regarding that sentence, I don't understand your concept of how society should function. If there is no currency, then how do you get a carpenter to build your home, or get food for your stomach?

Is everything to be given away? your services given away trusting that others will give you everything you need?

How would they establish order?

Are you refusing to participate in society as it is designed because you hold out hope for some utopian civilization with no money, no bad feelings, and nothing but happy love joy?

From the dawn of civilization, currency has existed. It wasnt always coins, sometimes it was grains, or salt, or sugar, or trading goods between people. But it has existed since humans were intelligent enough to understand how it works.

So explain to me then what your perspective is?
edit on 19-4-2011 by donkeystyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I have had a million jobs, and McDonalds is my all-time favorite!! I worked there through highschool, and I loved it. I even have a pat answer for job interviews when they ask me to describe my favorite job. I always go back to my McDonald's example.

It is fast-paced, and instantly rewarding, the hours fly-by. It is easy to stand out and make a name for yourself in there. You get to interact with a lot of people. You get to work in a team environment where people will appreciate you for doing a good job, because it makes everyone else's jobs easier. There is plenty of room for advancement.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your work. But knowing the food is poison, in retrospect, can you take pride in what you were forced (as a wage slave) to do?

(This part gets left out, or toned down in the interview answer, LOL!) Plus, in the 20 years since leaving McDonalds, I have never held another job where so many girls were eager to get my number and take me home!! It is amazing how popular a decent looking, intelligent guy can be at a McDonalds! I got numbers out of the drivethru, the front counter, and my coworkers! I think at one point, I had slept with every single female in the store, including 2 of my managers!! I had notes waiting on my car every single night after work. It was unreal!

Well, that's fine for a good looking young man. But it is not a guarantee that if you work at Micky D's you will get the chicks. In fact, if you're a little old lady, it's unlikely as hell.

Plus, I made a couple of lifelong friends from there. I am still in touch with 4 or 5 people from my time working at McDonalds.

Of course, Micky D's does not have a monopoly on the ability to make friends at work...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

The food is not "poison." It isn't very healthy, but it isn't poison. And yes, I take a lot of pride in what I was able to do. I wasn't a "wage slave" then, any more than I am now. And, as a responsible person, even at age 16 and 17, I take pride in doing a good job at every endeavor. They didn't force me to work there, they offered a certain wage for a certain job, and I accepted it, and I did the best job I could. That was the deal. That is always the deal. The problem with this society is that people think if it doesn't pay well enough, then they shouldn't have to work hard. That is not true. If you make the deal, then you should hold up your end of the bargain to the best of your ability.

As for the little old ladies, you are absolutely wrong! The little old ladies making biscuits in the morning had their "regulars" that came in to flirt with them. The little old men at McD's at 6 a.m. every day, and they would hang around until 11 or 12 and then take the little old ladies out to lunch. It was a perfect social environment for the old people as well as the young. In fact, many social clubs have their meetings at McDonalds in the morning time. We had a Bingo group, and other groups.

We even had Amish people and Mennonites that visited our McDonalds like clockwork once per month! A caravan of Black Dodge Vans would pull up, and 20 or 30 people from the Amish village would come in and order food, and hang out for an hour or so.

Of course you are right that MickeyD's doesn't have a monopoly on making friends at work, but it is also not a "slave" job. It is a fun job, and it is possible to have a good time, make good friends, and earn a decent wage. What else can anyone ask for?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
not that my opinion matters for much but I couldn't agree more with donkey. I'm a single mom & just returned full time to school. because I'm in school my employer has cut my hours to 9-12 a week. needless to say I'm looking for another job, at this point anything is better than Macys....even McDonalds! I'm not too period to flip a few burgers, at least its a paycheck

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
To amateratsu

I am sorry , but a society where everyone is supposed to simply "find their bliss and do it" nothing would ever get done.

Who would find bliss in shovelling snow for a living? Who would find bliss in plowing farmers fields and doing backbreaking sweaty dangerous work for 12 hours a day in summer?

Who finds "bliss" in working in a mine with the many dangers and risks there?

In order for everyone to be fed, you would need people willing to do the worst jobs.

Your concept of working for self gratification only is impossible to execute. Most people can find this bliss by simply being at peace with themselves and finding enjoyment in their work.

In your world, nobody would want to do the essential jobs. Who cleans up the streets of filth? you really think that people would want to do that when the rewards for being a gardener or salesperson would be exactly the same, since currency and social groups wouldn't exist?

The world as you see it is impossible. There has to be an order, people in charge, people taking orders.

There has to be currency to establish work ethic, and to increase productivity. Otherwise growth and advancement would stagnate.

I can appreciate how optimistic your idea is, but even if it was executed perfectly i dont understand how it would work, you would have to set up distribution methods, growing food, all the things in society, and how would you establish all of it with nothing to give in return? since people who dont do anything would be able to live on others hard work.

In fact i would argue your "utopian" society would create more of a slave atmosphere than the current one.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I'll never work for another greedy franchise...ever. You people thought corporations were bad. Currently I've been working for a franchise for five years.

1. no lunches
2. no breaks
3. no overtime
4. no pay increase
5. more work load

I have confronted my boss on all the issues. He laughed at me and said that's the franchise model. People save your selves time and get a corporate based job so you won't have to talk to the department of labor like I have to.

ps when you shop at a franchise remember that your preportions will be smaller and your product will be shottier and your warranty basicly goes down the drain. I call bull# on most franchises...especialythe ones where the owner/operator is working.
edit on 19-4-2011 by r129s215 because: because I added text

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Allready worked there twice in my school days...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Screw mcdonalds, my local one hired illegal aliens. what a shame mcdonalds has become, since i was a kind int he early 80's. they dont even know who ronald mcdonald is i bet! their own emplyees! i knew 2 illegals who worked at a local one.
so here we see, mcdonalds trying to paint themselves a nice picture, and possible savior..jobs* what they dont tell you, they opperate the same as a retail environment..your not htier to make friends, and the jobs are only for freinds who got a foothold int he door. you will be worked and replaced soon enough, once on of their friends becomes a legal citizen or happens to get the job. its a real pita having to report them. thats how it works where i am, CVS pharmacy. they will cut your hours as well,a nd prob give it too thier friends* then make fun of you or harrass you.
this is retail corporate america...hope they all go bankrupt. shame on mcodnalds for advertising 50,000 new jobs, when its more like sweatshoplabor with the good chance you will be shown the door anyway. thanks god i dont eat thier anymore. thank god

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

read what I posted right after you before looking for another job.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Again, someone who needs to think about reality. Your dreams of some Utopian society where currency doesn't exist just doesn't and will not work. It won't ever happen because people are people. You can't trust everyone to live up to their end of the bargain... In fact you are a shining example of that statement. No wonder you won't work anywhere, you think you are more valuable and special than an entire community of worker's well being. Being a part of a company is not slavery, it is a group of people working together towards a common goal. Even if that goal is to serve a few Big Macs. Who cares how healthy the food is? Do you have to eat it? No. The customers of McDonald's choose to eat the food, they are not forced to. If Big Mac is what they want. Big Mac is what they get. The customer is always right. You're in no position to judge anyone else or deem what is consumable or right for them.

A lot of things should be different in this world, but they aren't. If you have a solution that works, I'd like to hear it. You don't seem to be very proactive or even reactive about this situation. You seem to be concerned but you are doing nothing to influence the situation. Do you really have a right to be concerned? What good does your concern do if you won't do anything about it?

On a final note, you said you want to replace work ethic with Betterment Ethic? HAHA.
Any job, task, or goal you have requires some sort of work ethic in order to accomplish or finish. Work ethic is just the nature of the beast. The human and the job at hand. Without any work ethic, any job or menial task would be even worse and it would take even longer to accomplish. We would still be pre-dark ages if work ethic was replaced by your "new and improved" ethic.

Give me a break... Wait no, better yet.. You take a break and go drink some more kool-aid.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join