It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'110 US male soldiers raped in 2010'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

"A large number of male members of the US military say they have been the victims of sexual harassment by their peers and superiors, a report says."

www.presstv.ir...

The worst thing about military rape is that it is mostly overlooked, many women have also been raped but ignored, and they recently came out questioning their superiors, who avoided investigations.

This is a sick situation American soldiers are facing, and needs to be addressed in open, and shouldn't be brushed under the carpet for reasons of shame.

To continue "Last year, over 50,000 American male soldiers were positively screened as victims of a 'military sexual trauma,' outnumbering 30,000 such cases eight years ago. " (same source as above)

Claims are popping up that 1 in 5 female soldiers have been raped, this is a depressing number, now it is happening to men. the mental illnesses that the soldiers get is not just war trauma, but also from these sick acts committed by their fellow comrades.

Who is to blame here? The individuals committing these heinous acts, or the individuals allowing them? How far up does it go? Is there a flaw in the American system, can we blame solely the army, or can we go one step further and blame the political system for allowing such crimes to continue.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by P3ACE0WAR

I don't believe this is possible. The numbers have to be skewed.

How effective is a soldier that is capable of being raped? I think our soldiers are much more fit, capable, and confident than that. #1, they physically would not let it happen. #2, if they were overpowered by a group, or some other rare circumstance, they wouldn't let the issue drop, they would be seeking justice or revenge, and we would be hearing about this in the press more often.

ETA:
OK, wait, 110 cases, maybe I can believe, but I still don't beleve the 50,000 number that they cited as "sexual trauma."
edit on 14-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Are you talking about Western Press?

That's not gonna happen. Men have a lot more dignity to lose for opening up, I mean for god sakes they are in military, the manliest place on planet, they are trained to be tough.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

There's actually a very strong culture in the armed services of sexual intimidation which is usually explained as "initiation rights". Often the rape will be with an object and often there will be several people involved. It's something that seems to take place in male dominated situations and with men who would class themselves as heterosexual. Prisons and rugby teams are the the other examples I've heard about. Pretty weird but it happens a lot.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This may be just a really bad comment or just an insight, but do you think there could be a conspiracy about Obama's policy on allowing gay men and women to serve in the war?

Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy Scrapped

Is this a possible reason to counteract alleged raping across seas to allow for manly/female love to occur without shame? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

usmilitary.about.com...

I deal with it too.. I'm a lesbian in the military, and since I have to keep it a secret.. I have to deal with alot of the pig soldiers hitting on me and my fellow gay female soldiers.. I hardly keep it a secret, But I dont flaunt it. I really hate being hit on by male soldiers.. But of course I don't tell everyone I meet, just the people I trust.. Anyways if it's so hard for you to think about some gay guy/girl hitting on you when u aren't interested.. I find that pretty amusing.. Let the homos out-man you... I've been dealing with all that crap since I came in.. Now throw your petty little fear out the window and deal with it like a damn adult.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i was gonna adress simply the us army in this case. but on a closer inspection the problem does not seem confined to the military.

there has been too many reports and scandals.

to me it seems clear that in every american power structure theres a hidden level where sexual debouchery, homosexuality, rape and paedophilia are common and behind closed doors even encouraged.

not saying this is just a usa thing, but the us do provide the most blattant examples.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This happens in any group. It's like a pecking order thing. Most sadistic rises to the top whether it's the military, prison, a church camp, public school, or Washington DC.

As long as people are unwilling or unable to look their assaulter in the face and blow his head off this will just keep going on forever.

You'd be surprised how often something like this happens with very little resistance on the part of the victim and hardly any force at all from the attacker.

We're all infinitely softer than we were a hundred years ago and as such much more likely to be made a victim than ever before. Even our strongest are feeble and timid by comparison. And I'm not talking about macho posturing crap. I'm talking real strength of character.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

It's an authority thing. Just so happens that the USA is on top of the authority hill at the moment.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Just ask daddy Bush and the Boystown scandal
How they had boys taken to the White house from boystown and used for sex

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Isn't this an Iranian website??....

Also, you get 2 million people doing ANYTHING, whether it be scouts/music-camp/military, someone's bound to get raped.

^ I felt awkward typing that

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can easily believe the report from this thread, after I became aware of how homoerotic the abuse of the Iraqi detainees was. It could very well be that Bradley Manning has been raped already, where he is, and that is why the authorities do not want torture investigators to have access to him.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I don't believe this is possible. The numbers have to be skewed.

How effective is a soldier that is capable of being raped? I think our soldiers are much more fit, capable, and confident than that. #1, they physically would not let it happen. #2, if they were overpowered by a group, or some other rare circumstance, they wouldn't let the issue drop, they would be seeking justice or revenge, and we would be hearing about this in the press more often.

ETA:
OK, wait, 110 cases, maybe I can believe, but I still don't beleve the 50,000 number that they cited as "sexual trauma."

You also seem to forget that many enter the army as boys. They are less able to defend themselves prior to, and during training. Sexual Trauma, covers a multitude of sins, rape being the extreme of that spectrum.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BadPenny

My views on sex are pretty wide open, so it will be hard to convince me of any "sexual trauma" that isn't violent or forcible rape/sodomy.

Calling somebody's Johnson too small, or slapping them on the arse in the shower isn't going to cut it as "trauma." These guys are training to go into war zones, where they will face life and death on a daily basis, surely they can handle a little slap and tickle from their buddies, or some harsh words in a locker room.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by P3ACE0WAR
reply to post by getreadyalready

Are you talking about Western Press?

That's not gonna happen. Men have a lot more dignity to lose for opening up, I mean for god sakes they are in military, the manliest place on planet, they are trained to be tough.

I agree that it is hard for a man to open up about something like that, but here is my take, and maybe others don't think like me.

If anyone that I knew were forcibly raped or sodomized, the responsible party would be in jail (if they got lucky and got arrested), or they would be dead. There is no circumstance that they are alive and free to torment day after day. Either the victim gets the courage and support to turn them in, or the victim harbors that hate and resentment until the other party is vulnerable one day.

I cannot believe that there are 100s or 1000s of "trained to be tough" guys out there letting this offense go without any repercussions.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
This may be just a really bad comment or just an insight, but do you think there could be a conspiracy about Obama's policy on allowing gay men and women to serve in the war?

Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy Scrapped

Is this a possible reason to counteract alleged raping across seas to allow for manly/female love to occur without shame? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

usmilitary.about.com...

I deal with it too.. I'm a lesbian in the military, and since I have to keep it a secret.. I have to deal with alot of the pig soldiers hitting on me and my fellow gay female soldiers.. I hardly keep it a secret, But I dont flaunt it. I really hate being hit on by male soldiers.. But of course I don't tell everyone I meet, just the people I trust.. Anyways if it's so hard for you to think about some gay guy/girl hitting on you when u aren't interested.. I find that pretty amusing.. Let the homos out-man you... I've been dealing with all that crap since I came in.. Now throw your petty little fear out the window and deal with it like a damn adult.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit

I'm sorry but your suggestion that including gays and lesbians will prevent rape is ridiculous. Rapes don't occur because soldiers are ashamed of their sexuality and closeting them but because a Rapist is aroused through having power over someone else. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't Ask, Don't Tell being struck down is so that openly/"out" gay men and women can serve their country without being discriminated against.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just look at what has happened since the don't ask
don't tell policy was implemented: America has not
won one war since homesexuals were allowed to stay
in the military, society as a whole is collapsing, rampant
thievery of defense department funds, Men getting raped
in the military (no doubt with military psychological\ mind
control technology) as many homosexuals have now attained
relatively high ranks and have probably been allowed to use
and control such technology. Feminism is also destroying
good old family values at all levels of society.

What do homosexuals have to do with feminism some may
ask? Who stands to gain when Women reject men outright?
Homos will hope and "Prey" for/on men with mind control
technolgy and that is just a drop in the bucket. No wonder the
country is going down the tubes quickly. I say we need a putsch
to get rid of all of them ASAP from all military and political
positions if the U.S. is to survive in any recognizable form.
Many will scream bloody hell crying about racism and all
these other things, I really don't care about that, the facts
speak for themselves. Let's have a grown up conversation
based on dates, facts and numbers and not hysteria for fear
of angering the homosexual deviant lobby.

G*D destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for a reason.......a very
good one, G*D must hate homosexuals!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I said counteract, not prevent. If you introduce partners who are willing to go the distance, well then, there shouldn't be as much rape going on in theory. This begs the questions why is there "rape" going on there in the first place?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Counteract, prevent, same difference. Rape does not happen because there is a lack of willing partners. It is individuals in the ranks that are aroused by doing harm to other people. Including gays and lesbians in to the military would not encourage or discourage the acts.

ETA: By your logic then allowing Gays and Lesbians to be members of the Clergy it would stop the molestation of children. FALSE. Sick people will stick commit sick acts.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Every great society that has let homosexuals reign has failed!
From Greece's Alexander the "Great" to Nero's Rome before
and since.......We are doomed to repeat history if we do not learn
from it. There would be no homosexuals if it wasn't for rape and
or child molesters as they would die out as a species since men
can not bear children.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Mr. D because: changed have to bear

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

I've heard that before, but name any great society that hasn't failed and fallen?

Eventually they all go one way or another, so the example fails.

Also, homosexual children are usually born to heterosexual parents, and I'm not aware of 100% of homosexuals being abused as children? They are not a separate species, and they are not going to die out as a race.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join