It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'110 US male soldiers raped in 2010'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Yeah I think you are older than me, I'm 41. Yes, your step-father
is a hero. I have to deal with nightmares on a nightly basis too,
I think most Veterans that have served in war do. It's a part of the
war that we bring home with us. The Airforce has always had a
reputation for being the Fun branch of the services.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

I'm like 43...and yes I agree. AF was kind of fun, to say the least! There certainly is a difference in the branches of the military.

Thank you for serving our country...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Thank you too! Even though you didn't go to war you were able and willing
and I'm sure you would have served too if you were called upon.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by BadPenny

My views on sex are pretty wide open, so it will be hard to convince me of any "sexual trauma" that isn't violent or forcible rape/sodomy.

Calling somebody's Johnson too small, or slapping them on the arse in the shower isn't going to cut it as "trauma." These guys are training to go into war zones, where they will face life and death on a daily basis, surely they can handle a little slap and tickle from their buddies, or some harsh words in a locker room.

It's exacty why your "views on sex are pretty wide open" that I find it hard to believe you're not open to the possibilty of the numbers the OP states. Can't say I know for sure how accurate the numbers are...but you, I would think you would be more open-minded to the possibilities. And yes, I appreciate your openness and willingness to share. That's kind of why I was a bit surprised by your response, with all due respect, mind you.

edit on 14-4-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

edit on 14-4-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling...always important

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
*Yawn* You guys know how many women get raped in the Military? A lot, and no one throws a pity party for them, but as soon as a few men get their buttholes torn open everyone acts like the world is ending. You can go to any country, America, Australia, Russia, etc and find an extremely high percentage of female rape victims with in the military, but it always takes a story of a few men getting their butts torn to get people to care.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
*Yawn* You guys know how many women get raped in the Military? A lot, and no one throws a pity party for them, but as soon as a few men get their buttholes torn open everyone acts like the world is ending. You can go to any country, America, Australia, Russia, etc and find an extremely high percentage of female rape victims with in the military, but it always takes a story of a few men getting their butts torn to get people to care.

No one here is downplaying the rape of either sex. That said,
G*D created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve and yes, in
case you haven't noticed......the World is ending or at least
the civilizations thereof.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
As a MARINE all I can say is what a bunch of emotional non military types that don’t have a clue. It’s amazing that there are so many here. I know there are women get raped at a much higher rate than in most civilian settings, but men is like a strange occurrence. I have seen gay men sneak into a room of a supposed friend and “do something” to them and then the victim was too embarrassed to tell until much later.
Women who put themselves into a testosterone driven job and expect that all will go as their high school teacher said it would usually doesn’t work out. Men in the real services or jobs are very aggressive and accomplishment driven and when pretty little poser girls get involved sometimes it doesn’t go well….. and wrong is wrong.
Gays or fetishes have no place in the military. If a person likes to have sex with pigeons in his spare time- who cares. But for some reason a man who loves harry butt holes gets a special place? It’s all a political grandstand for votes from a vocal minority.
Yeah the truth hurts.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Male soldiers being raped? What? Nothing a "butt-stroke" can't fix. (hahahaha)

Okay honestly now, someone else stated the strange sex culture in the military, it's present here in the ADF aswell, seemingly heterosexual though.

But how the # would a man let himself be raped by another man, in such a testosterone filled environment?

Personally, you would have to stop me from beating the absolute # out of the would-be rapist. And if there's more than one, well, time to use the rifle.

No rapists in my section!
edit on 14-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Annual reported rape cases within US is over 100000, that is excluding the unreported. I believe most unreported cases come from places where it is deemed to be normal to get raped, I'm aware of those places. We can add the military amongst those categories where women getting raped is deemed to be normal.

edit on 14-4-2011 by P3ACE0WAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So how many gays are in the military?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by P3ACE0WAR

I don't believe this is possible. The numbers have to be skewed.

How effective is a soldier that is capable of being raped? I think our soldiers are much more fit, capable, and confident than that. #1, they physically would not let it happen. #2, if they were overpowered by a group, or some other rare circumstance, they wouldn't let the issue drop, they would be seeking justice or revenge, and we would be hearing about this in the press more often.

ETA:
OK, wait, 110 cases, maybe I can believe, but I still don't beleve the 50,000 number that they cited as "sexual trauma."
edit on 14-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

No offense but your comment is a little ignorant, not in a negative way, but in the most respectful meaning of the word. What most of us would view as harmless hazing or funny can involve things that some would consider sexual degradation. I mean even having someone put their balls on your face or "t-bag" you can be considered "sexual trauma".

It's not a matter of 'ineffective soldiers allowing themselves to be raped' It's just a matter of health professionals broadly categorizing things from minor incidents to full on rape as "sexual assault"..etc.

Not that I condone putting balls on other people's faces. haha.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Lubek because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

Shouldn't you be trolling some other site?

Blah blah blah. What makes you think that your perspective is useful?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have to say this.

I am so disappointed in so many things in this thread. I've seen decades of social progress derailed in a matter of sentences, bigotry taken to a whole new level, and rape is something to be joked about and given over to something "that just happens."

I fail to see how someone being raped is funny, or how it is deserved. I gays and lesbians have no control over who they are. It simply is a part of them. I'm glad I don't follow a deity who teaches me to hate, and that I value human life.

With all the horrible things going on in the world, do we really need more? I personally know a man who was gang raped in the military. You don't just report something like that, lest your get it again, or worse. If you think being raped is funny or "just happens" try being on the receiving end and let me know if your opinion is the same afterward.

I just don't know what to say or think. We should be better than this.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Steve8511

See, you epitomize what my perception of a bad *ss Marine is. You are the man that saves the day for all of us weaker souls, and I appreciate that. Guess that's why you're a Marine.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The numbers are crap, a person that doesn't want to engage in sexual activity will fight tooth and nail. I think these numbers come from people who regret their sexual engagements, but I doubt half of them were forced into submission. No means no, but you have to back it up if you want to claim rape and be honest with yourself.
edit on 15-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I wish I could share your skepticism.

Group think . . . intimidation . . . insecurities from epidemic proportions of ATTACHMENT DISORDER . . .

clueless to brutal to insensitive superiors . . .

embarrassment . . .

There are various personality and background types who seek out and join the military. Not all of those factors are wonderful.

Some are quite aggressive and used to intimidating and powering their way through to get whatever selfish objective they have.

Others are weaker and consciously or unconsciously seek out what they may hope to be a collegial pseudo-family to support them in life as one of the team.

Aggressive ATTACHMENT DISORDERED blokes are naturally drawn to intimidating, picking on and even brutalizing the emotionally and physically weaker types.

And this is relative. It doesn't take an absolute wimp to be perceived as WEAKER THAN the aggressive types.

And all it takes is a physically stronger bloke or 2-3 of similar mind or bent happening upon or trapping a weaker type in a situation that's untenable . . . and the abuse is a done deal.

Throw in the pressures of war and/or a worthless or unfair bear of a boss . . . it can be a real set-up as the military has few to no ways of escape.

Most victims see no way out but to keep quiet and suffer or suicide.

Suicide is also outrageously high for our military personnel. A good chunk of it MUST come from sexual intimidation and/or abuse.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by P3ACE0WAR
reply to post by getreadyalready

Are you talking about Western Press?

That's not gonna happen. Men have a lot more dignity to lose for opening up, I mean for god sakes they are in military, the manliest place on planet, they are trained to be tough.

P3ACE0WAR, you're showing your ignorance. The 'manlier' a place is, the more same sex activity and male on male sexual assault that occurs. Same sex activity between males has got nothing to do with how effeminate or 'manly' someone is, this is just a bigotted stereotype. The facts bear this out.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinau

I'm sorry, you mis-read my post.

Let me explain, I was saying the military is one of the most manliest places, those men who get raped in the military will have a hard time reporting the crime/torture committed against them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

reply to post by BadPenny

My views on sex are pretty wide open, so it will be hard to convince me of any "sexual trauma" that isn't violent or forcible rape/sodomy.

Calling somebody's Johnson too small, or slapping them on the arse in the shower isn't going to cut it as "trauma." These guys are training to go into war zones, where they will face life and death on a daily basis, surely they can handle a little slap and tickle from their buddies, or some harsh words in a locker room.

Do you mean like the stuff in the photos from Abu Ghraib? Harmless japeing, no doubt, in your book?

Are you suggesting that sexual humiliation is an acceptable method of training as well as a preferred means of torture for the US army?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
Gays or fetishes have no place in the military. If a person likes to have sex with pigeons in his spare time- who cares. But for some reason a man who loves harry butt holes gets a special place? It’s all a political grandstand for votes from a vocal minority.
Yeah the truth hurts.

It is an awkward situation for both heterosexual and gay Marines alike. I do know gay Marines (being a gay man myself) and they find the topic of male rape in the military as uncomfortable a topic as you do. You might find that a surprise that they also believe those individuals who commit rape in the military have no place at all.

I can tell you that gay military members have a fear of being "outed." In that regard you should have no fear of any of gays doing anything to your six. At the moment gay service members HAVE to live in the utmost discretion. They can be outed by a subordinate or even an upset lover. That means molesting or raping anyone of the same sex is an instant disgrace not only to the military but to other brave homosexuals who go great lengths to succeed in the military institution. Such acts from a homosexual only fan the fire of homophobia but usually bring about the wrath of homosexuals who have worked hard to build a place for themselves. A gay Marine is just as likely as you are to want to put a bullet in a military rapist.

Gays put a lot on the line for the country and risk harassment so trust me buddy - they have NO "special place" that you speak of and if they decide to molest or rape anyone of the same or opposite sex - the military is going to treat them like any other individual irregardless of sexual orientation. "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is not going to protect them in the slightest.

The only things the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" will offer is a chance for gay service members to be "open" if they CHOOSE and most importantly it protects them from snitches who would accuse them of being gay to get them out of the military. The later part of that sentence is the most important and you should see that. For example in a military actively seeking specialized dialect translators it is a shameless waste of assets not to be able to have such translators because some snitch got them kicked out due to "Don't Ask Don't Tell." Say the person kicked out did not grope or molest anyone and that they are a good person who wants to serve. Under "Don't Ask Don't Tell" all it takes is the suspicion that you are gay or bi and out the door you go. Yet men and women are dying on the battle field with no (or poor) translators in hostile territory because some politician decades ago had to make a political grandstand to the brainwashed majority.

The truth really hurts if your fellow Marines are falling on the front lines because some snitch is afraid of big bad homos. Like you said, who cares what your fellows like to have sex with. What they like or dislike should have nothing to do with keeping your six from getting blown off. Military men reporting being raped has nothing to do with your concerns about what gay military members like or dislike or any fictional "special place" they receive. They deserve a spot fighting right there next you. Semper Fi.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join