It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US POW's on TV.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
" All is fair in love and War"

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not so, in the eyes of the international community... Just another warcrime to add to the list for the regime.

dom

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Don't you think there are worse things that could happen to these troops than being interviewed while scared on Iraqi TV?

Let's just hope they don't get shot in the head, or tortured. Yes?

A lot of people around the world remember Camp X-ray, so let's hope the administration don't get too high on that high horse of theirs.
Every time they do something like that damages US credibility around the world, not that it isn't already ripped to shreads of course...

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What surpises me is the shock that Saddam did this.He has been doing this since he came to power.I doubt he cares about warcrimes,he has list of them a mile long,and knows he won't be in power much longer.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I still don't understand one thing though. What was broadcast from the American troops was them simply taking POW's. Can you please tell me what else they did? From what I saw on TV they took POWs into custody, searched them for any threats they could pose, and administered medical aid. Please tell me which of the above violates the Geneva Convention.

Also, to add to what was said earlier, the Geneva Convention itself is kinda humorous... this isn't capture the flag or color war in day camp you know...

Please don't think I'm condoning any harm on either side, I really would prefer that nothing like this happen in the first place. My comments though are on the conduct of the Iraqi military vs. the conduct in similar situations of the Coalition (read US/UK) military.

dom

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is the quote being used... "Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention says clearly that prisoners of war must at all times be protected... against insult and public curiosity"

Which really means that any TV footage of POW's would be a breach of this, due to it coming under "public curiosity".

The 3rd geneva convention does talk about a lot of other far more important things though (the right to medical treatment, the right to correspondence with family, the right to be kept in a safe area, etc. etc.)

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:41 AM
link   
shooting them in the head, or interviewing them on television, clearly violates this article...

dom

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Indeed Gazrok, although your implication that some of the dead soldiers were shot *after* being captured is unproven at the moment.

Also, footage of Iraqi POW's also comes under this clause. Would you agree?

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is a bit of a sick joke!

All this crap about who is wrong and right to flaunt prisoners on tele... the real crime is that there are innocent people people dying in this. This arab dictator is a ba****d but what are the other leaders in this so called war doing?? Exactly the same!

This war is being treated as a glorified video game, what with the gameshow sets for the allies to parade around on, the spin on the whole situation - this is reality TV at its most nightmarish!

Soldiers are paid to fight! Whether it is to defend their homeland or to go whistling off to war. No-one in our supposed "Democracry" has held a gun to their heads and sent them to battle. Unlike an army of conscripts!

I feel so sorry for them, captives on both sides, don't forget Saddam is still in power and if this war goes as badly as is now predicted some of the surrendering Iraqi troops may get a terminal punishment from their powers that be afterwards for walking away from their posts!). I feel pity for them especially in this sort of conflict (christian Vs muslim).

But who is giving a damn about the people who have to live in this battle zone, who have no choice, whose leaders don't give a rats ass for their safety and welfare??

Colateral damage, blue on blue etc just sick euphamisms for the murder of human beings.

Warcrimes are Us and Murder Inc must be made to answer for these dispicable acts of treason against all humanity no matter what the outcome of this so called war on terrorism!

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This morning reporters interview some family members of one of the POWs. After the usual idiot questions and the family putting on a brave face, the Scum that pass as members of the US media cut to an interview with a person who described their experiences as a POW in Iraq. After the description of mental torture and beatings, cut back to a visibly upset and shaken family.

How do these people sleep at night?

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Those who are charged with war crimes are usually those who lose the war.

Puts a much greater importance on winning over the Iraqi's to ensure that they face the war crimes tribunal.

Bummer for you Saddam!!! He'll probably eat his own bullet anyway, just as most cowards would!!

AF1

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How are the detainees at Guatonamo Bay Prisoners of War? There is no country that will come to their aid at the UN or a war crimes tribunal to support them. These were members of a criminal organization, and I don't see how the Geneva Accords affect them. I'm not saying that they should be treated inhumanely, but I just want to know how the Geveva Convention classifies them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join