It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US POW's on TV.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
this is a strategic failure...they didn't secure Nasiriyah before they sent those folk around there by themselves and not heavily armed. this has turned into a city to city fight and they need to adjust before it gets worse. they'll probably need more troops to leave some behind in the larger cities.

i'm hearing 50 US casualities in Basra and they are still fighting "pockets" of resistance. the Irqai goverment says that it has armed it's citizens.

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Are these the images that were shown on TV originally?

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The producers of Al-Jazeera should burn in hell, along with the Iraqis (The bad ones). I viewed the footage on a Spanish-news station that aired it. They're not only going against the Geneva Convention, but the footage is disturbing. Imagine being the family member(s) of these soldiers and seeing your loved one on the floor dead with an Iraqi smiling above his/her body? These people are sick

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
if you must see these are the pics that they released:

www.aljazeera.net...

They are very graphic *warning*

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN MARCH 23, 2003 16:17:38 ET XXXXX

MEDIA BOOMERANG

The microphone reads "IRAQ TV." The screen shows supposed stock market arrows. The station is Al-Jazeera, a mock of Ted Turner's CNN. And on Sunday satellite news turned nightmare as Arab television aired footage of dead American soldiers, some sprawled in a room, and interviews with five U.S. prisoners.

Turner, who once bragged how the invention of all-news global TV brought on the fall of communism at the end of the Cold War, must now be taking a pause at this all-news boomerang.

The 6-minute video which beamed on Sunday showed mankind at its worse -- and Iraqi fighters at their most animalistic.

Disgust and horror do not describe the viciousness of the images. One Iraqi man is captured smiling over dead Americans. Soldiers pants are pulled down, the camera zooms in for a close up of bullet holes in heads as "Al-Jazeera Exclusive" is stamped on the screen.

The DRUDGE REPORT has wrestled with providing the complete video feed to its readers. The families of the murdered U.S. troops have been notified. And if anchormen and others in the media have viewed it, why can't the average citizen?

With a banging conscience, faces of the dead and captured cannot be shown in this space.

But with that same conscience is the total anger, and the feeling many of us have become too desensitized to the atrocities.

www.drudgereport.com...

Warning, very graphic photos on this page...

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
As I posted in another thread, I found a website that shows the actual video that was shown on Al Jazeera, but I'm not sure I should post it.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Wasn't so much that the area was not secured, more so that they made a wrong turn, thus ending up in unsecured territory.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well, USA was the first to show the POW's .. i dont understand how you can be mad at Saddam for doing the same thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:14 AM
link   
WHERE DO YOU GET OFF!!!!!!!!

And it what way were the iraqi pow's embarrased or whatever?? You moron!! most of the iraqi POW's surrended anyway! The acts of the iraqis is inhumane and i pray for these soldiers to the depth of my soul. only last week an iraqi official stated that any american soldiers caught will be beheaded, wake up to yourself buddy!

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I must persist. The american treatment of POW's was unlawful. So is the iraqi.

dom

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Indeed, I've seen plenty of pictures of dead Iraqi's floating around. Including two dead Iraqi's in a trench with allied soldiers standing over them. In between the dead soldiers there's a pole with a scrap of white cloth on the top sticking out of the trench... that's not very nice either is it?

War isn't very nice... but then the US/UK started this one, so they can't really complain.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Quite right.The Red Cross and Amnesty International were raising concerns about treatment of Iraqi PoW's before this happenned.

Getting Iraqis to kneel or lie face down in front of World media can be nothing but humiliating. PoW's being stripped would also be a contravention.

Get off of your self rightious high horse.If you deny others like the PoW's in Guantanamo Bay these rights then you have no place to complain about these minor infringments

[Edited on 24-3-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:44 AM
link   
well only time will tell when we'll see who gets treated the worst.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Let me get this straight....

During War you can shoot at, bomb and kill any one you want in any nasty evil way you can imagine? but then once you manage to 'capture' an enemy or if they surrender after having spent the last hour trying to kill you, then it's no longer ok to kill them? You can't even knock 'em around a bit or kick 'em or call 'em names?? Nothing?

I dunno, call me crazy but maybe the Geneva Convention should just say 'NO WAR.'

Rules to warfare are the biggest joke since the death penalty in a nation 'under God'.
I'm pretty sure that any person who kills another person in a calculated act of aggression doesn't really have the moral clout to demand a nice hotel room with a pool and cable TV.

I may be wrong.

This world makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well, what soldier honetly wants a war, people join the army to defend their nation, when it come to attacking other nation, this may not be exactly what they want to do, i mean honestly even though someone from the other side was trying to kill you, if they are caught aren't they trialled under a war tribunal where their fate is decided there? Different crimes get different penalties.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
its a war, this is what its about....

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
Let me get this straight....

During War you can shoot at, bomb and kill any one you want in any nasty evil way you can imagine? but then once you manage to 'capture' an enemy or if they surrender after having spent the last hour trying to kill you, then it's no longer ok to kill them? You can't even knock 'em around a bit or kick 'em or call 'em names?? Nothing?

I dunno, call me crazy but maybe the Geneva Convention should just say 'NO WAR.'

Rules to warfare are the biggest joke since the death penalty in a nation 'under God'.
I'm pretty sure that any person who kills another person in a calculated act of aggression doesn't really have the moral clout to demand a nice hotel room with a pool and cable TV.

I may be wrong.

This world makes no sense.

haha, i agree totally

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well if anything good can come out of these pictures, it is the fact that the Iraqi's have gone on record as holding these soldiers. Therefore they cannot just disppear as may have otherwise happened.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I can't believe anyone can find parallels in showing videos of Iraqi soldiers being searched and patted down, to videos of corpses proudly shown off, and soldiers who have clearly been abused being interrogated on tv. You idiots forget something. The Geneva convention doesn't bar the taking of POWs. The videos you saw on American TV were of American soldiers performing the act of taking prisoners of war. That is not a violation of the Geneva Convention. The video you saw on Al-Jazeera is of the interrogation and humiliation of American POWs in a state sponsored, state released tape. Do you see the difference? A bystander taking video of the ACT OF TAKING PRISONERS OF WAR, and members of a military taking video of the ACT OF INTERROGATION AND HUMILIATION OF PRISONERS OF WAR.

Your argument is baseless, your logic is flawed and if I were you I would edit my post to attempt to save face.

dom

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Djarums - The footage of soldiers being interrogated was not on. Not at all. The point is that we've also seen closeup footage of Iraqi soldiers who have surrendered walking along with their wrists bound, or their arms above their head. Admittedly they weren't being asked questions, (and they didn't look as scared) but other than that the two cases are both against the Geneva conventions.

It's a simple case of double standards.

As regards footage of dead soldiers... I've seen footage of dead Iraqi soldiers too. Just because we generally don't stick it on the major news bulletins for fear of turning the public against the campaign doesn't mean it's not being filmed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join