It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allied Forces Begin Military Action Against Libya - Live Updates

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My biggest concern is the people. When the initial 'anti-gadhafi' rebels start seeing the ones they care about, the neutral bystanders & other fellow 'anti-gadhfi' rebels blown to pieces... Once that realization sets in.... Will the rebels turn against the coalition?

Right now the rebels are thinking its good that they're being helped out and that the bombings by the coalition will end very soon. However, I have a bad feeling that the bombings are only going to continue and the body count is only going to grow.

Thats the realization I'm speaking of. When the rebels voices once again won't be heard, this time their voices will fall on deaf ears among coalition forces.

My question is: What will these initial rebels be called once they turn against the coalition & start standing up for themselves? Will they be called 'terrorists', 'insurgents' or even worse: 'Gadhafi supporters'?

I'm all for getting rid of Gadhafi and letting the people of Libya work it out. But this might be Iraq all over again. Time will tell...

edit on 19-3-2011 by JWash because: spelling

edit on 19-3-2011 by JWash because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by JWash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
First Video of missile launch from a ship

www.twitvid.com...

And VIA the BBC news stream:

United Arab Emirates pledges 24 aircraft to Libya operation, Qatar between 4 and 6 - AFP via BBC

24 ?
such a small country like UAE, that must be the whole lot! lol

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is coming in from Al Jazeera.

French warplanes have hit four tanks used by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi on the outskirts of the opposition stronghold of Benghazi, on a day when opposition fighters in the city reported coming under constant artillery and mortar fire.

The U.S is also involved.

The US has also launched cruise missiles from ships based in the Mediterrannean Sea, and has taken the lead in military operations during the first phase, Kimberly Halkett, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Washington DC reported.

It seems that this situation is now irreversible. Watch these events play out over the next few days and weeks as it could shape history.

This is an extremely interesting video, discussing if a no-fly zone "alone" will be effective.
edit on 19-3-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Originally against action.... oh look

2238: Turkey, which is a member of Nato, says in a foreign ministry statement it will make the "necessary preparations" to implement the no-fly zone, according to Reuters.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
24 ? such a small country like UAE, that must be the whole lot! lol

Actually they have 79 F16's and 69 Mirage 2000's....

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Anyone think it's funny that the ship they chose to use is the USS Barry? hahaha, obv not named after Barack but...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by unknOWNmirAGE

Yeah, death and destruction is frikken hillarious bro......
I hate this world.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I laugh if they joined up again to fight off Nato and say we are the new enemy.

Anyway just wanted to ask the Americans do you ever watch Sky News the English one and do you ever watch BBC News and of the two which one do you like most?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I don't think war is a good thing, I just tried to make light of a coincidence in the situation...don't be such a negative nancy.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Via Reauters news stream:

US Ntl Security Adviser says Libya air defense systems "severely disabled" - reuters

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Calm down, poster was just making light of a specific point. Too many liberal tree hugging people complaining about this. I do agree we don't need to be involved at all, but do you just suggest that we continue to allow this idiot to murder his people?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Can anyone be more ignorant? My goodness...
Libya only accounts for 2% of the world's oil!
That is VERY VERY VERY small!

Why would US and the allies want to invade Libya for 2%?

Saudi Arab produce way more oil than them, if this was about oil then we would be there instead of Libya!

Ignorance is bliss..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Reports on Sky News Ticker that Cameraman along with four other journalists have been captured by Libyan authorities.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Right because you got to be a liberal treehugger to be against all this crap....

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Setoman

Saudi Arab produce way more oil than them, if this was about oil then we would be there instead of Libya!

Ignorance is bliss..

I guess i could say the same about Iraq Why did the US and Allies invade Iraq?? oh please dont tell me the buggy man saddam

Your link isn't even working.

According to the 2008 BP Statistical Energy Survey, Libya had 2007 proved natural gas reserves of 1.49 trillion cubic metres, 0.84% of the world total, while producing 15.2 billion cubic metres, 0.51% of the world total, in the same period. NOC controls the whole of the downstream sector together with its numerous subsidiaries and overseas arms, Umm Jawwaby Oil Services and OilInvest with its two subsidiaries of Gatoil and Tamoil

I guess Ignorance is bliss with the pro war crowd today at least when the truth hurts.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Setoman

read this I suppose it may have some of your answers.

www.dailystar.com.lb...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Exactly. People are against war or the use of military force but apparently fine with genocide. What do you think would have happened if the US never entered WWII? The world would be much more different today.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It never ceases to amuse me that people doing the exact same things are proclaimed "insurgents" in one country, while being referred to as "freedom fighters" in others.

It appears to me this is caused by whether these people serve the interests of the US of A, and I mean primarily geopolitical or business interests.

All I see for now is another country plunged into death and chaos in the name of "freedom and democracy"

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Look at Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, etc, on a map. Notice how all those countries are ocean front countries that could severely disrupt oil transport?

You think "oil" is all about drilling and not about securing trade and transport routes and just generally favorable circumstances for the oil industry? Its all of the above. Its about the resources in the ground, but its also about moving them out of those regions to other regions.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Ignorance is bliss..

I guess i could say the same about Iraq Why did the US and Allies invade Iraq?? oh please dont tell me the buggy man saddam

Your link isn't even working.

I guess Ignorance is bliss with the pro war crowd today.

Here is my image link: casolariandassociates.com...

All I'm doing is pointing out the loop holes in your argument.
Iraq holds more than 112 billion barrels of oil - the world's second largest proven reserves.
So the oil argument would work there, but not here!

I always wonder, do people even rationalize their thoughts/assertions or do they just blindly believe it?
edit on 19-3-2011 by Setoman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join