It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

Dude, Condemnation sums up the whole political scene at the moment. Come on , they set themselves up for it.

Labour is not the answer, Christ this decision is the only thing they have agreed with this government since the coalition came about.

I forgive you your sins, lol. I have had a drink or four, well it is a Friday night. Peace.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think the only positive comment that can be made is that europe will finally take charge of a war operation, rather than cry to daddy for help. Its about time if you ask me, especially since britain and france want it 10 times more than america.

I am sick and tired of america and israel taking the blame for everything.

Amen to that!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Europe has a great insight into the weapons Libya will be using. Afterall they have sold them the weapons in the first place.

Europe were up against it a bit in Iraq, because the U.S had supplied most of the WMD's!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
I think the only positive comment that can be made is that europe will finally take charge of a war operation, rather than cry to daddy for help. Its about time if you ask me, especially since britain and france want it 10 times more than america.

I am sick and tired of america and israel taking the blame for everything.

Amen to that!

I don't see how anyone will be criticised for removing Gadaffi - the French are involved remember, lol? Anyway, on the contrary, the US is likely to be criticised for its reticence in this case. If there ever was a justified reason to mobilise US troops into action then this is one of them. But still, I do agree, it's quite heartening to see some European governments take action without first being instructed to by the USG.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I think this has more to do with if britain and france can conduct a millitary operation, since we are merging are armed forces. its more of a test for uk and france cooperating effectively. nothing to with the typhoon....i just hope it aint another suez crisis lol

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thevoiceofreason85

That's a very good point mate. Interesting indeed, particularly for when we examine the conspiracies around this in more detail.....in the future, of course

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thevoiceofreason85

Why spend so much on a aircraft and not use it? Every piece of military hardware has to be tested somewhere. Remember the patriot? That was put to the test in Gulf War I.

The Nazi's put their aircarft to the test during the Spanish Civil War and the U.K put their WWII bombers to the test in Iraq. You don't spend Billions and not test them out in a proper warfare scenario. What if they are found out to be second rate when you really need them?

Why has France all of a sudden decided to stand up for the rights of people outside of France? They don't usually follow that route.

To be fair though, you could be right about the co-operation. We need the French planes to sit on our carriers. Just one step nearer to a E.U Military force.
edit on 18/02/2011 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

very true.. its not a mere coincidence that both france and uk have been at the forefront at the un etc. i also think its a test for are weapons platforms, but more if a french an uk cooperation. america will be involved..but take a more back seat approach. interesting times has to be said.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I am ashamed as an American that we fight some third world country without a modern military. We need to pick on someone our own size. I am a man dammit, I love my country, but my country needs to act like a man and pick a fight with Russia, china and GB all at the same time for it to be interesting. We should be ashamed...its like a tank vs a Hyundai.

If it was a modern war we would be seeing body bags by the plane full coming, even a possibility of a carrier loss. state of the art SAM systems...but noo..we have to pick on some third world rag tag African country with a lot of oil...

I'm thinking that might happen one day. China and Russia conduct joint military exercises. For what reason do you think they are conducting them for? It's all about controlling the global energy trade, and China and Russia eventually want to own it all.

Why are you so cool unc?,you are the bestest ever when it comes to things like this,keep up the good work.

I don't know about that. On this thread in a tired fog last night I kept stating "DoD" instead of stating "defense" which encompasses a wide range of security measures both foreign and domestic when speaking to the subject of defense being nearly half of the Federal budget. It took several responses checking me on it before I realized I had been stating DoD repeatedly. DoD has not been nearly half of the Federal budget since 2007. Today defense is over half including the black budget counted within discretionary spending, but still the bottom line is that I messed up by not catching on my own what I was misstating.

Remember you're the fastest star and I'm the slowest.

I know my place relevant to the IG527.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I agree and you are correct. The only way we can test how good are hardware is through combat. To be fair british aircraft since ww2 has never been second rate. libyan air force consist of rusty migs and lesser trained pilots.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The UN Security Council is a joke. Funny how they didn't have the b*lls to threaten Iran or Egypt. They need to keep their nose out of other countries' business. I can assure you, if there were every an uprising in the U.S., our government would be firing on us. Can you say, "Kent State"? The hypocrisy of the U.N. and the U.S. government is laughable. These countries should be allowed to work out their own civil wars without outside influence. Period. They are sovereign nations and it is nobody's place to intervene. Whether or not you like Kadaffi is beside the point. There are plenty of people around the world who like to oust our president as well, that doesn't make it okay for them to get involved.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

One more thing before i go to bed. Stop blaming america for bring greedy for oil. Britains foriegn policy is also to secure oil even through military means. Im british and i think its wrong that americans are always to blame. I dont agree with it but thats the world we live in. For too long rich coperations/people have been in control an pass it down heriditory. democracy is a facade, thats why i never wasted my time voting. and thats why i joined ats.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DSSONE

I don't see how anyone will be criticised for removing Gadaffi - the French are involved remember, lol? Anyway, on the contrary, the US is likely to be criticised for its reticence in this case.

Are you serious? The US has already BEEN condemned on the mere assumption that we might have anything to do with this ruckus IN THIS VERY THREAD!

The US is damned if we do and damned if we don't. Personally, I'd rather be damned for NOT jumping in front of a wildly flying accusation than for doing so. It's about time for some of those bleeding hearts doing the condemning to step up to the plate and put their convictions where their mouths are.

THEY can march on Tripoli and take Qadaffi out. I'd rather go fishing. I'm perfectly content to let THEM gather the laurels for this one.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I've read most of this thread so forgive me if I missed anybody else bringing this up but I for one am shocked............the U.N. did something! Not excited about being involved in another conflict but did'nt this start because their government started firing on protesters? The use of airpower and tanks instead of dialog to end the rebellion seems to be too much for the rest of the world to bear.
edit on 18-3-2011 by JMech because: to clairify

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

the chinese wont but the british are or did they replace there harriers yet?>seems a foolish thing a carrier with out air cover....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

www.theglobeandmai l.com

The UN Security Council has approved a resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's forces. The vote on Thursday was 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia and China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

why is everyone kickin off about this?

over the last few weeks everyone has been saying how gadhafi has lost his mind and needs to be stopped he shouldnt be killing his own and shouldnt be in charge...how someone needs to do something....now finally something is being done...and everyone changes their tune...oh the conspiracy...its all for oil...we must be using the japan disaster to distract peoplr from the attack on libya....even though the libya story is as much in the MSM as the japan story still....the no fly zone isnt a secret.

the guy needs to go...either on his own or by force...im startin to think that whatever happens in this world be it natural or man made will always be held as a conspiracy...shame human stupidity far surpasses our intelligence

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Mod note: Please stay on topic. Insults of any kind are always off-topic. -- Majic

edit on 3/21/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

I noticed that, too. Last week it was "Obama doesn't care if Gadaffi is killing his own people!". Now it's "Who does obama think he is telling gadaffi what to do'?

LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Heres an article I found that came out around an hour ago. Apparently, Libya is now accusing the rebels of violating the cease-fire.

Libya accuses rebels of breaching truce

BENGHAZI, Libya (AFP) – Libya on Saturday accused rebels of breaching a truce as insurgents mobilised to defend their stronghold of Benghazi and a French diplomat said Western military intervention was imminent.

Washington also accused the Kadhafi regime of violating the truce.

But Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaaim early Saturday accused rebels of breaching Tripoli's self-declared ceasefire. He earlier said the Libyan military will not attack Benghazi, which has a one-million population.

"Armed militias have begun firing a few minutes ago in the town of Al Magrun," about 80 kilometers south of Benghazi, he told reporters. "The bombing is continuing."

I think there will be a summit in Paris around 8am -Eastern time, and theres supposed to be attacks within hours of it.

But rebel military council official Khaled al-Sayeh told reporters in Benghazi that the "Kadhafi regime never stopped firing or attacking people. Until this moment he is still attacking places ... under siege."

He said there had been "sustained shelling" in Zintan, Ajdabiya and Misrata on Friday.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join