It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Obama doing during this disaster? Hes going to Rio.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

yes, i aggree with you, perception is a good point

lets say he does do what you said,.............lets say he cancells his trip to rio and goes to japan and personaly stands beside the prime minister of japan and pledges all the help the USA can provide

a wonderfull act on his part, and would show the people of the world he cares......................................but

everybody would bash him cuz he wasted all the money we have AllREADY spent to get his entorage and support personell down to rio for his arrival and now we gotta bring everything back

obama going to rio is not just booking a flight and hotel room for his stay, hes got an army of personell, vehicles, helocopters and secret service people that are allready down there, they have been there for about a month!!, they have fuel trucks searched and fuel tested and on stand by, the airport is on lockdown,the rout his vehicles will take have been secured, and rio personell have been screened!!

and he should just drop everything and go to japan?

just saying, its not easy for him to change plans and the spur of the moment

be safe people

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Connector

A weak argument. If he wants to improve the economy HERE, then he should focus on HERE. Not another thinly disguised vacation.

But hey, defend him all you want.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck. . . . . .

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Ummmm...that was a US disaster...if you are not aware...Japan is not part of the US.

hummmmm?

After being criticized for not doing enough and not saying enough in the days that followed the Asian tsunami disaster, US President George W. Bush has launched a joint appeal for donations to help the victims. He was joined at a media conference by two ex-presidents: his father and Bill Clinton.
Washington was blasted for its initial 11 million euro aid commitment, which was later raised to 26 million, and then to 260 million. “We are here to ask our fellow citizens to join in a broad humanitarian relief effort,” said Bush. “We are working with the United Nations and with governments from around the world to co-ordinate a comprehensive international response.” The appeal comes as US Secretary of State Colin Powell starts a visit to the worst affected areas. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is also due to visit Indonesia later this week.
www.euronews.net...
Copyright © 2011 euronews

Oh yea there is no doubt in my mind if Bush was still president there would be a mega thread by now bashing him.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I wasn't making an argument or trying to defend Obama. I'm not even American. I was simply pointing out facts

1)Japan is a soverign country with it's own leader to look after things

2) his trip to Rio, according to the OP's quote, is for the reasons of what you were complaining about.

Simple really.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We have the worst economic crisis (ignore Japan for the moment) in decades.
High unemployment.
Crashing dollar.

"You have to remember that economic growth in the United States is the president's top priority. This trip is very focused on economic opportunities for the United States and the trade relationship."

So what you are saying is that you are GLAD Obama is making this trip to try to improve the economy....right???

Or let me guess...you were led to believe this is a personal vacation....right?
edit on 15-3-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The Middle East is afire with rebellion, Japan is imploding from an earthquake, and the battle of the budget is on in the United States, but none of this seems to be deterring President Obama from a heavy schedule of childish distractions.

The newly installed tandem of White House Chief of Staff William Daley and Senior Adviser David Plouffe were supposed to impart a new sense of discipline and purpose to the White House. Instead, they are permitting him to showcase himself as a poorly focused leader who has his priorities backward.

This morning, as Japan’s nuclear crisis enters a potentially catastrophic phase, we are told that Obama is videotaping his NCAA tournament picks and that we’ll be able to tune into ESPN Wednesday to find out who he likes.

Saturday, he made his 61st outing to the golf course as president, and got back to the White House with just enough time for a quick shower before heading out to party with Washington’s elite journalists at the annual Gridiron Dinner.

www.whitehousedossier.com...

What others are saying.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

He could also speak about the contingency plans in the United States should any radioactivity reach here. He could mention the upcoming FEMA exercises to both dispel any rumors and reassure that we are prepared.

If he does that, he causes panic. The most he should do is make a statement that "as of now, there is no danger to the United States".

There is much he could do to support the American-Japanese population, quash rumors, and serve as an example of confidence and leadership. I believe a visit to the West Coast should be in his immediate plans.

He has pledged any support we can give to Japan. We have military over there right now helping in the rescue efforts...those are all actions taken by OBAMA.

What would a west coast visit do? Photo Op? Like another said...you would just be complaining that he is out campaigning and trying to take advantage of the disaster for his own gain if he did that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I personally won't be happy until Obama runs into a phone booth, rips off his clothing to reveal the big red "S" on his chest, flies to Japan, picks up the reactors and throws them into the sun.

I think the point I am making is - what is the correct response from a POTUS regarding a tragedy in another nation, short of offering aid and sympathy?

~Heff

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Um, yes. A vacation. He IS taking the wife and kids. Call it whatever you want. But Obamas' track record for vacations is pretty impressive.

But hey, you love the guy, I don't.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If you had made plans, lined up airfare, reserved hotels, even had some of the people you were visiting with already at your destination...and you got a phone call that your parents were in a car crash....would you change plans?

So, we already have resources on the ground in Rio...and Japan, one of our biggest strategic allies in the world and a big trading partner...has a massive disaster...let's say an earthquake...followed by a tsunami....followed by 1..no 2...no 3 nuclear meltdowns...should i cancel plans on a visit to Rio...or should i try to be a leader and help organize relief aid to Japan...

mobilize resources...maybe use US war ships to evacuate people or transport and airlift supplies....medicines...water...food...medical teams...maybe mobilize some of the best medical minds in radioactivity and set up field hospitals in southern Japan... maybe some photo ops with the PM of Japan....good way to bolster ties and increase our presence considering the growing Chinese expansion/ threat in that part of the Pacific.

Maybe get on the phone and get some symbolic gestures and photos of western leaders coming together for the relief of Japan.... kind of a political "we Are The World"...even get some celebrities...wher is george Clooney and Bono? Quickly do some TV spots...set up an emergency fund....

Hell, I just thought of all this in about 5 minutes....why can't mr. Obama....at the least, the very least...would look good on TV when he runs again.... maybe a solid democratic front...

But no...Mr. Obama will go to Rio....and help trade with Brazil...stars and flags to el presidente'

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
Oh come on guys. We communicate electronically. You and me. We are doing it right now. If the prez were in the Oval Office, he would be working electronically. His advisors would be updating him electronically. ETC

Air Force One is a fully functional command post. His accomodations in Rio will be likewise. He has a full staff with him for delegating presidential actions. His advisers will update him electronically.

This Rio meeting has been planned for ages. I mean come on.

I get it. You are of the Obama is the Worst Club but just what are you guys after here with these cheap shots. Will you prove how bad Obama is or just how little you have to prove it.

I think they just want Obama to go out there to Japan and use a little elbow grease to fix up those reactors. You know, kind of the same way GWB went out to New Orleans and fixed the levies bare handed here in the good ol U.S of A.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Oh yea there is no doubt in my mind if Bush was still president there would be a mega thread by now bashing him.

You do realize that Obama pledged any support that Japan needs and had the military aiding them the very next day, right?

That wasn't the case in any of the disasters Bush was President for.

Tell me, what more do you want Obama to do?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
oh come on!!, please......................obama is doing what hes supposed to do................continue running this country!!

Except, partying, playing golf, picking his March Madness brackets, and going to Rio with his family on a junket - all during major world crises - hardly qualify as "running the country".

Neither does failing to lead on the current budget impass in the U.S. Congress. Obama needs to locate his spine and cojones and get to work leading - as citizens expect and the people that voted for him expected him to do

Looks like the obama sycophants are all out here in full defense mode.

I would
if it wasn't so

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is Obama's 'My-Pet-Goat' moment...
Bush 9-11-01, Obama 3-14-11: The Classroom Photos

BUSH 9-11-01 During Terror Attacks on USA 3000+ dead...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fef4cc50c3c2.png[/atsimg]

Obama 3-14-11 During whats being called the worst disaster since WW2
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3a66fac8667.jpg[/atsimg]
And its On the FRONT page of the White House website. It would be different if the photo was from before the disaster. But it was taken yesterday!

If I was an Obama staffer who saw this I would have said... seriously you remember Bush and the Goat... right?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Neither does failing to lead on the current budget impass in the U.S. Congress. Obama needs to locate his spine and cojones and get to work leading - as citizens expect and the people that voted for him expected him to do

Exactly! Didn't Clinton back down the Congress to hash out a budget at all costs, and he stayed on the job until they got it done!

Armey replied gruffly that if I didn't give in to them, they would shut the government down and my presidency would be over. I shot back, saying I would never allow their budget to become law, "even if I drop to 5 percent in the polls. If you want your budget, you'll have to get someone else to sit in this chair!" Not surprisingly, we didn't make a deal.

Wiki

And it led to his successful re-election and the downfall of Gingrich. What is Obama doing?
edit on 15-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Looks like the obama sycophants are all out here in full defense mode.

I would
if it wasn't so

So, the going definition of an "Obama sycophant" is anyone who doesn't jump in on an opportunistic bashing? I've seen nothing out of Obama that I haven't seen out of every single POTUS for the entirety of my adult life.

FTR: I have no interest in defending Obama whatsoever. I do have an interest in defending rational truth however.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

You do realize that Obama pledged any support that Japan needs and had the military aiding them the very next day, right?

That wasn't the case in any of the disasters Bush was President for.

An absolute falsehood repeated ad nauseum by liberals.

The federal government takes about 3 days to respond to a major incident, and that's about how long it took during Katrina. The real guilty parties responsible for any delays in helping the affect population were the democrat mayor of N.O. and governor of Louisiana, who initially refused federal aid while doing nothing for their own people. Do I need to repost - as a reminder - those pictures of the hundreds of N.O. school buses sitting in the floodwaters when they could have been used to evacuate people instead?

And after the middle east diplomatic debacles, I doubt an obama "pledge of support" gives a lot of comfort to the Japanese. Recall that obama openly called for the removal of Egypt's leader who was certainly no threat to the U.S., and could even be called an ally while saying nothing to support people trying to oust Libya's Gaddafi who actually ordered the killing of Americans. And today we hear that obama was surprised by Saudi troops "entering" Bahrain, which hosts the major U.S. naval base in the region.

No, sadly sounds like Barack has checked out and is now just "playing" at being president ...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Good!!

The less he gets involved in, the better off the world is...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What's he supposed to do? Fly over to Japan, blow out the reactors, extend his healing hand to the sick and injured?

He's the president of the UNITED STATES.(politician)

Not savior of the world.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You know what is something to
about...

I was just watching Fox News (I need to know what the crazies are talking about)...and they had a talk show host on saying the EXACT SAME THING you just did. Obama doesn't know how to lead, leading budget talks, etc.

I guess we know where you get your info from, huh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join