It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Obama doing during this disaster? Hes going to Rio.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
How bad does it look during a nuclear emergency when the President is out of the country? He needs to be here at home, running the country, making sure the west coast is prepared for anything coming our way from Japan. Issuing statements and info to keep people informed, speaking with and coordinating any disaster services that MIGHT be needed on the US West Coast. Whats more important? Its not the Gov. job to create jobs. Private industry creates jobs.

There is no nuclear emergency in the United States.

There MIGHT be some floods in the north due to melting snow...should Obama be on stand by then too? In the Spring/Summer...there MIGHT be a devestating tornado somewhere...guess he shouldn't go anywhere then either. Hurricane season should just be blocked off...no other business should be done. And then winter...those darn blizzards. I guess Obama should only do out of the country business in the Fall...that seems pretty safe.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by MrXYZ

Physical location matters more than you think. Physical presence is what gives people hope and assures them that you truly care about their wellbeing. Most importantly it shows true leadership, which is what people seek as a representative.

Speeches don't show leadership. Actions do. Holidays in times of crisis isn't leadership.

So wait, even though it makes ZERO difference for his ability to manage the country...you want him to be there and "hold your hand" because it makes you feel good? ARE YOU SERIOUS??

So during hurricane season he should join the people hiding in hurricane shelters? And during blizzards, we should give him a shovel so he can help shovel away the snow? There's no harsh catastrophe in the US right now where it would matter if the president is physically there or not.

For crying out loud, the man has staff that keeps him up to date, he can order fleets around (like he's done for Japan), he can set things in motion to help without having to be there.

What you're asking for is something only an armchair patriot would ask for...it makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Originally posted by MrXYZ
You do realize he can do everything you ask without being in the country, right? Ever heard of phones, emails, and the Internet?

The physical location of the president matters nothing...unless you're a crazy irrational armchair patriot

Hmmm, interesting answer. Now if this had been President Bush would you still stand by it or would you be screaming bloody murder for the time he spent down at his ranch in Texas?

Of course, because he actually booked those days at the ranch as VACATION!! That muppet of a president took more vacation days than most other presidents. I wouldn't consider Obama's trip to South America a "vacation"

Just for fun, let's look at vacation days per year for the past few presidents:

- Obama: 26 days
- Clinton: 21 days
- Reagan: 42 days
- Bush: 69 (LOOOOOL)
- Bush senior: 40 days
- Carter: 19 days

Notice a trend?

By the way, I'm not even a big fan of Obama, as I believe he's a bit of a wet paper bag...but the accusations in this thread are beyond ridiculous.

If he didn't go to South America to help stimulate the economy, but would rather go to Japan or wait it out on the West Coast should some of the radiation from Japan make it over (totally improbable btw)...people would argue he's not helping the economy enough. It's people like you, making ridiculous accusations, that take the focus away from the real issues

edit on 15-3-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave

what do you think hes doing in rio??? sitting on the beach drinking pina coladas??

be safe people

No. He won't be doing that. But his family will be.

Honestly, I can not even begin to imagine what a tremendous job it is to be President of the United States and what an incredible amount of stress goes along with it. However, he and his family signed up for the job. They knew what was involved when they fought for the position.

Obama is not a celebrity. He is the President of the United States. All of his movements are paid for by the people of the United States. When he goes away on business, I expect his family to stay home in the United States. That action would assure me that everything is okie dokie in my great country. It would be like a statement from President Obama that said, "See folks? Nothing to worry about over here...I even left my family with you."

I am sure that I will be slammed by some for stating this opinion. In fact, that is all it is...just my opinion. It is how I feel when I see things like this while I am sitting here sifting through thread after thread trying to figure out what in the H is going on in the world right now, lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

So now he's not allowed to bring family on business trips?? I'm taking my GF with me on business trips all the time...why should it be fine for me, but not for him? It's not as if his wife and kids could do anything to help during disasters, they have zero right to govern.

All your arguments are based purely on emotions and not logic or rationality...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by idunno12

All your arguments are based purely on emotions and not logic or rationality...

Your correct. That is what I said. I said it is my opinion and it is "how I feel".

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'll ask you the same question.

What would be an accetable course of action for Obama in your opinion?

He should live up to the vision some dense people still have of him. He needs to put on his superman costume and soar the beaches of the west coast, and stand their with arms wide open, face in the breeze, sniffing for radiation, and giving us constant updates. He can also use his laser vision eyes to cut the reactors out of the ground and then toss them into space with so much momentum, they crash into the sun. Then he can give his own special cpr to the dead and wake them for another chance at life.

Afterall, didn't some people call him the messiah? Sounds like he's got his work cut out for him. Certainly doesn't want to let down all of his obsessive fans now does he?

Ok, with that said and out of the way, I do think that running off to the southern hemisphere only makes paranoid people more paranoid. He could have shown a little more heart by not going on an obvious vacation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'll ask you the same question.

What would be an accetable course of action for Obama in your opinion?

He could quit his post and report to the nearest federal prison.
I'd find that acceptable. He needs to take congress and the fed with him.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

damn, yours was better!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

With the upheaval in the middle east...we need OIL...oil that isn't dependant on madmen or that doesn't require invading and occupying.
reply to post by maybereal11

Why, Why go to Brazil for our oil, That's Stupid!

We hove more than enough oil here in our own country, why do we have to be dependent on others, will have enough oil here to get us out of dept.

Just think of the jobs drilling, transporting and refining our own oil would create?

www.rense.com...
The US Government's Secret Colorado Oil Discovery
StansberryOnline.com

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world - more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction.

We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth.

Here are the official estimates:

* 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
* 18-times as much oil as Iraq
* 21-times as much oil as Kuwait
* 22-times as much oil as Iran
* 500-times as much oil as Yemen

And it's all right here in the Western United States.

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says, "We've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East."
Here's the kicker

The U.S. government already owns the land. It's been right there under our noses the whole time.
OK Folks,,, who do you think stop the drilling,,,,, any guesses?

That was Change You Can Believe in,,,, No Jobs and No Hope For Jobs.

Here is some more information for you, one Utah-based company says it can extract the oil for as little as $10 a barrel. In fact dozens of companies have stepped forward with similar claims. Now even if they could produce this for $50.00 dollars a barrel,,,,,, what do you think your price at the pump would be?
This region holds the largest known oil reserve on the planet and it belongs to America,,,, I think we could pay off our National Dept and get our grand kids out of dept and not owe my home country of China a copper penny.

edit on 16-3-2011 by guohua because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Why isn’t our “leader” here with us, as we face fallout from the massive tragedy unfolding in Japan?

Because, the United States Federal Government has been hijacked by criminals and Obama is simply just one of them.

What ever happened to “the land of the free and the home of the brave?”

Don’t the American people have enough courage to take their country back, from these vile scumbags?

Like they say, “a coward dies a thousand deaths, and the brave die but once.”

The choice is yours, America.

edit on 16-3-2011 by seasoul because: LIVE FREE or DIE

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

And it's all right here in the Western United States.

Well, maybe they're not drilling because it completely destroys the environment...

It's easy to do it abroad where those things are easily kept secret or simply not mentioned by the media...but the same isn't true back home where people are directly impacted

Btw, Chevron ended up losing that case...and rightfully so...
edit on 16-3-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
im sorry but if i was the president of the most powerful country on the planet, i would do whatever i wanted regardless of what japan is whining about. as long as it isnt china, who provides all of everything to everyone, i would take as long of a vacation to Rio as i wanted. who is he going to answer to? congress? they are all mind controlled zombies anyways. probably doing what The All Seeing One tells them to do 24-7 anyways. worst case scenario, obama goes to Rio, gets a stomach flu, comes back, continues being a minority.
edit on 16-3-2011 by iheartprplkoolaid because: aliens hidden in my words

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I am waving my flag of disappointment at the president for heartlessly pressing on with his responsibilities as our president despite Japan currently causing the inevitable downfall of the world as we know it. Yes he is in fact going there on vacation....

Really? There's more to life than the tragedy of Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

Why isn’t our “leader” here with us, as we face fallout from the massive tragedy unfolding in Japan?

Seriously? Again?

There isn't a health threat for US citizens because of what happened in Japan...hell, even in Tokyo which is a lot closer there's no immediate health threat. Do you have any idea how far away Japan is?? Even if a cloud makes it all the way over to the US, by the time it gets there, it'll be so diluted that the effects are negligible.

And once again, there's nothing the president couldn't do from South America via technology that he could do back in the US. At least this way he's helping the economy instead of sitting on his ass waiting for an emergency that experts say won't happen

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Europe's energy commissioner Guenther Oettinger dubbed the nuclear disaster an "apocalypse", saying Tokyo had almost lost control of events at the Fukushima plant.

Japan radioactivity could enter food chain, kids at risk
'For some individuals even a small amount of radiation can raise the risk of cancer' MSNBC

2 reasons off the top of my head he shouldn't go to RIO right now

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I am quick to critisize Obama, I strongly oppose him but, I don't see the contreversy in Obama going to South America. Obama dosen't govern Japan, he governs America. So it is business as usual for him and his administration. Obama visiting South America won't affect the relief effort either.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by imastew
Europe's energy commissioner Guenther Oettinger dubbed the nuclear disaster an "apocalypse", saying Tokyo had almost lost control of events at the Fukushima plant.

Japan radioactivity could enter food chain, kids at risk
'For some individuals even a small amount of radiation can raise the risk of cancer' MSNBC

2 reasons off the top of my head he shouldn't go to RIO right now

It affects JAPAN and NOT the US!! How many times do you people need to be told this??

Last I checked the president of the US governs the US and not Japan. There's nothing more he can do about Japan than he already has...he sent help, and ships.

There's no danger for the US population!! What do you want him to do? Hold your hand to cure you from irrational fear?

Stop making me defend Obama for crying out loud, I'm no fan of his...but all these accusations are completely nuts!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Hi I heard today that Obama was out shooting hoops, playing some golf and finally made two campaign stops promoting his 2012 election. He has yet to speak to the Japanese people. Incrediale...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by petalrose
reply to post by bluemooone2

Hi I heard today that Obama was out shooting hoops, playing some golf and finally made two campaign stops promoting his 2012 election. He has yet to speak to the Japanese people. Incrediale...

At least bother checking the facts before spewing complete nonsense!!

That speech was given on the same day the disaster happened!

In short: Your entire post is complete and utter nonsense. What's even sadder is that this was your first post

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join