It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Obama doing during this disaster? Hes going to Rio.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I find this interesting when someone mentioned a post bout people taking advantage of the crisis in Japan. Right now their industry just got shattered and someone posted a comment that mentioned using this as an opportunity to see our way our of out debt by taking up some of Japans industrial slack.

The thing that grips me the most is tht there were so many people who thought it was downright upsetting that someone thought of doing something like that during a cataclysmic event. And Now it seems that's what our good president is setting off to do. So I find it very funny that even though people say that it's terrible because their morals obligate them to speak against thinking this way.. It's almost like a kind of survival. Economic survival.

If an animal dies of natural causes do you think every passerby carnivore animal will just pass it and leave it alone, just because you didn't kill it? Or get what they can get out of it to survive because they are starving.

Don't get me wrong I am in full support for Japan. I feel badly as everyone else. I've always had a thing about Asian culture and Japan was on the top of my list to visit when I can finally afford to leave this country. However it doesn't matter what your feelings. Because someone is going to make a move regardless. And I'd rather see us use the opportunity to see ourselves prosper, rather than have another superpower use it to just gain more wealth for themselves while we do nothing but weep and try to help the victims... All the while we're not getting any better.

Using an opening like this does not make us bad people. In a race for prosperity are we going to feel so sorry for them and give up our chances to gain placement just because the 2nd place just spun into a wall? No, we're going to feel bad for them and hope they are ok but we're still aiming to finish the race.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I know what happened in Japan is horrible but do you expect him to just stop what he is doing? No, I know I don't. You think any other leader is stopping their plans because of Japan?

What is the Queen doing? Why isnt she there when the world is in turmoil.

The US Is not repsonsible for everyone else. The Japanese will get help from us of course but what do you think Obama shoudl be doing right now? He can't go there.

Life does go on despite tragedy
edit on 3/15/2011 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/15/2011 by mblahnikluver because: spelling and grammar

edit on 3/15/2011 by mblahnikluver because: I really cant type today..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

The earthquake and subsequent nuclear damage might very well effect the west coast. But hey, . . . .

Blame it on Rio

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
oh come on!!, please......................obama is doing what hes supposed to do................continue running this country!!

hes allready said we will help in any way we can and we are, what happened in japan is a human tragedy, im so sorry that the people of japan have to go through this but realisticly..................does the world stop when something like this happends??...................no!! we keep going and we keep doing what we were doing before this happened

what do you want our presedent to do?? sit in the white house on his butt and wait till something worse happends?

somebody allready said that air force 1 is a mobile command post, hes got advisors telling whats going on 24/7 so let him do his job!!

what do you think hes doing in rio??? sitting on the beach drinking pina coladas??

be safe people

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hopefully he will have fun! I think you guys are way too hard on Obama, if he was white I bet none of you would care. You guys only talk about the bad things going on in the world, but what about all the good stuff he's doing? Like, creating tons of jobs, single-handedly fixing the economy, closing Gitmo, he's close to ending the wars, etc. IMO he's doing a damn good job as president, so he deserves a break.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The earthquake and subsequent nuclear damage might very well effect the west coast. But hey, . . . .

Blame it on Rio

You can't expect the President of the United States to act like a paranoid ATSer and start freaking out about something that is not currently happening or likely to happen.

What do you think he should be doing about the small possibility that any radiation MIGHT reach the west coast??? Should he evacuate them...cause mass panic...when there are no signs of danger?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Do you want the guy to just be sitting in the White House and waiting for...waiting..wait! What is he waiting for? What can he do by sitting? WINNING! Oh yeah...'forgot. Get real...it serves no purpose for him to do nothing when he cant do any-thing.
If Japan has to wait and see...what would you have him to do?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Pathetic.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Aggie Man

I agree that Obama is equally effective no matter what his geographic location is (that isn't saying much), but you have to admit that after all the heat Bush took for 9/11 and Katrina, to see Obama mirroring it almost step for step is disturbing? Also, we have a radioactive concern, even if it is minimal, what message does it send for him to go to the opposite hemisphere? Kind of similar to his Gulf Coast staged visit that backfired isn't it?

Since when is Japan part of the US? Of course Bush was thought of negatively, as those disasters were on US soil; something he could directly hand down orders to provide assistance. Obama can not do that in this case. What he has done if offer relief. That's the most he can do. In regards to radioactive concerns...that's all they are is concerns. There is no evidence at this time that we are going to get hit with deadly radioactivity here in the US, and, if there were, what is he going to do about it? He's just a man, not superman. Also, remind me when this radioactive cloud is suppose to hit the US. When will Obama be returning from Rio? Honestly, I'd be concerned if Obama was evacuated to a fallout shelter, but not by a trip to Rio. Obama going on a previously scheduled trip just lets me know that he is still working on trade relations in an effort to boost our economy.

I was a fan of his during the campaign. I even voted for him. I even LOVE his speeches! But, his actions have left me in dire disappointment.

I mirror this; however, it has nothing to do with the current situation in Japan. Again, he has done all he can do.

He can't grap a crane and start disassembling debris to look for survivors, but he could visit the west coast, talk to some Japanese communities, make more than single line comments about it.

He could, but then we would be sitting here discussing Obama's patronizing, lip-service photo-op with the Japanese American community. The guy just can't ever win with some people.

He could state that his number 1 priority is helping Japan and protecting America, and try to dispel any rumors that he is putting economy ahead of life.

Again, if he stated that Japanese people were more important than the economy, then we would be discussing another angle on disparaging him. The anti-Obama crowd are piranhas and will always find a negative spin on anything he says or does.

I do not solely blame Obama, I believe it is the entire elitist structure in Washington and on Wall Street. I think Obama had great intentions, and showed up for work and found out he had no teeth.

Agreed!
edit on 15-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Actually, I do believe he will, at some point, be sitting on the beach drinking Pina Coladas.

Perceptions...it is all about perceptions...the way the world views you. I wrote as much in a previuos thread about the Gulf Oilwell disaster. Realistically, there is not one thing the president could do for Japan...but he could be a leader.

Winston Churchill couldn't shoot down a single nazi bomber in the battle of Britian...but he did walk the streets of london...inspiring the people to be brave and stick it out for the long haul.

Lincoln didn't fight a single reb soldier...but he never left Washington and continued construction of the capital bidg and dome as a sign of his confidence in the future.

Obama can't save a single Japanese life.... but he could go to Saipan or Hawaii and act as if he is co-ordinating America's response...maybe get out there and help load a few planes with supplies..or go down to the dock and load some ships...maybe get a pic on a fork lift loading freight....make a greast PR stunt.

It is all about perceptions...right or wrong...images. That is why Roosevelt rarely had his picture in a wheel chair although he suffered from Polio..it implied weakness or handicap in the publics mind...he wanted to be percieved as strong....

Perceptions....a football coach never threw a touch down pass...but he inspires the people around him, his or her team to do their best and be brave in dire circumstances...

That, my friends, is what Mr. Obama should be doing...and what i would expect him to do for one of our biggest strategic allies in the west pacific.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is a funny thread.
I wasn't around ATS when Bush had to deal with Katrina, but I bet the similar folks were bashing him for "NOT DOING SOMETHING".

No we have Obama, and I, for one, am admittedly (enjoying) dishing out the same criticism to Obama tat was thrown at Bush.

Did any of you expect Bush to pail out flooded homes?
Mop swamped streets?

We have the worst economic crisis (ignore Japan for the moment) in decades.
High unemployment.
Crashing dollar.
High fuel prices.
Middle East turmoil.
Troops fighting/dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And Obama goes to Rio.

Nice.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
i realy do hate these obama bashing threds!!!

do you know what this man has to go through EVERY day hes in office?

not just obama, EVERY presedent thats in office,? no you dont!! there are things that go on everyday that would give the ordinary person an ulcer!! there are things that go on that we will never know about!!

give the guy a break!! just remember, if it wasnt obama in office it would be somebody else and you would be bashing that person!!

personaly, i wouldnt want the job as president, i wouldnt want to have a big fat target on my head!!!

be safe people

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I already briefly answered that....

but he could visit the west coast, talk to some Japanese communities, make more than single line comments about it. He could state that his number 1 priority is helping Japan and protecting America, and try to dispel any rumors that he is putting economy ahead of life.

For starters.

He could also speak about the contingency plans in the United States should any radioactivity reach here. He could mention the upcoming FEMA exercises to both dispel any rumors and reassure that we are prepared.

There is much he could do to support the American-Japanese population, quash rumors, and serve as an example of confidence and leadership. I believe a visit to the West Coast should be in his immediate plans.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Most people are realizing now how serious this situation really is but still do not fully understand this :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do indeed hope that Obama is being properly briefed on this. I however have my doubts on what he is being told.
edit on 15-3-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

This is a funny thread.
I wasn't around ATS when Bush had to deal with Katrina, but I bet the similar folks were bashing him for "NOT DOING SOMETHING".

No we have Obama, and I, for one, am admittedly (enjoying) dishing out the same criticism to Obama tat was thrown at Bush.

Did any of you expect Bush to pail out flooded homes?
Mop swamped streets?

We have the worst economic crisis (ignore Japan for the moment) in decades.
High unemployment.
Crashing dollar.
High fuel prices.
Middle East turmoil.
Troops fighting/dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And Obama goes to Rio.

Nice.

Katrina was on US soil in a major US city. Japan in a sovereign country with it's own Prime Minister.

From the OP......bolding mine

The president and his family are scheduled to travel to Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago and San Salvador on the trip, designed to highlight economic and trade issues and energy and security cooperation. White House officials are billing the visit as primarily an effort to drum up export markets and future opportunity for US businesses as they seek to emerge from the worst financial crisis in decades. "There has been tremendous progress in this region economically over the last decade or so," said Mike Froman, deputy national security advisor for international economic affairs.

Sort of what your asking for isn't it?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Again, if he stated that Japanese people were more important than the economy, then we would be discussing another angle on disparaging him. The anti-Obama crowd are piranhas and will always find a negative spin on anything he says or does.

You are probably right about this statement, and the statement where you claimed any "photo-ops" with Japanese-Americans would be criticized. The "piranhas" will be all over anything that he does!

Still, no politician should pander to the piranhas or the rabid supporters. The "leaders" of our country should follow their own strict set of morals and decision making, and they should do what they feel is right in all instances. I prefer a leader that openly disagrees with me over a leader that panders and compromises at every opportunity.

Maybe Obama is following his own priorities at this time, and if so, then I disagree with his priorites, but I don't mind that, as long as he is open and honest about it. So far, with this particular disaster, the problems are lack of information, and Obama could easily address that problem.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

but you have to admit that after all the heat Bush took for 9/11 and Katrina, to see Obama mirroring it almost step for step is disturbing?

ROTFL - BUSH was the PRESIDENT of the COUNTRY where the DISASTER(S) TOOK PLACE!

Like another poster said - I didn't know Obama was the President of the world.

Funny thing is - if the President of the USA were to cancel his trip where he's to address concerns effecting the USA - all you bashers would be on his hind end for that!

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

One the one hand we have poor, poor Obama. . . .
and on the other hand

Bush came under more criticism when Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast region during the early hours of August 29, 2005. In the wake of the hurricane, two levees protecting New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain collapsed, leading to widespread flooding. In the aftermath of this disaster, thousands of city residents, unable to evacuate prior to the hurricane, became stranded with little or no relief for several days, resulting in lawless and unsanitary conditions in some areas. Blame for inadequate disaster response was partially attributed to state and local authorities, but public outcry in the disaster's early hours was largely directed at the Bush administration, mainly the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)[71] and the Department of Homeland Security[72] alleging weak crisis management and coordination. In fact a Canadian search-and-rescue team actually made it to a New Orleans suburb five days before U.S. aid arrived.[73]

en.wikipedia.org...

What's good for the goose. . .. .

Don't forget old Louie Farrakhan saying how Bush had blown up the levee's so at least he was doing something right??

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Japan will get U.S. help quicker than we got after Katrina. But hey, I hope they do get help quick. I still believe to this day that the government just really doesn't care about us in the deep south, period! We are all just minorities and rednecks to them.

But Obama has to do what he has to do and if he has to be in Rio so be it. Don't be paranoid lol. I have already read how he is going there cause a damn pole shift is happening rofl!
edit on 15-3-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Two key distinctions there.

1) Katrina was a domestic disaster, while Japan's is not.

2) A big reason Bush came under such criticism with Katrina was that he'd shipped the LA Nat. Guard overseas to fight his war. They should have been home in LA, and that was a MAJOR component of disaster relief that the Governor of LA didn't have available because of Bush's direct influence/actions.

So your goose/gander analogy doesn't really apply to this situation.
edit on 3/15/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join