It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Obama doing during this disaster? Hes going to Rio.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
www.google.com...

Obama trip to Latin America still on despite turmoil

The president and his family are scheduled to travel to Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago and San Salvador on the trip, designed to highlight economic and trade issues and energy and security cooperation. White House officials are billing the visit as primarily an effort to drum up export markets and future opportunity for US businesses as they seek to emerge from the worst financial crisis in decades. "There has been tremendous progress in this region economically over the last decade or so," said Mike Froman, deputy national security advisor for international economic affairs.

The world is falling apart and hes going to Rio. Tells me all I need to know about this guy.

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Nero had his fiddle

Obama has frequest flyer miles.

Pathetic.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Too bad he missed the Rush concert.
Those guys are great live!

David Grouchy

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If there was a radiation leak in the northern hemisphere, I would want to be in the southern hemisphere too.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Trade and Economy are way up the scale of concern from silly individuals and sanctity of life. What good is life if the economy is in the dumps. Obama, and your corporate heads, and your talking media heads all have their priorites, and right now a few less mouths to feed is actually a blessing. If they can just get some exports going to other spots, and get an angle on all those treasury bonds Japan owns, this could work out great!

Obviously that is not how I feel, but I fear that is the priority structure of our leaders in government and industry.

+33 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Oh come on guys. We communicate electronically. You and me. We are doing it right now. If the prez were in the Oval Office, he would be working electronically. His advisors would be updating him electronically. ETC

Air Force One is a fully functional command post. His accomodations in Rio will be likewise. He has a full staff with him for delegating presidential actions. His advisers will update him electronically.

This Rio meeting has been planned for ages. I mean come on.

I get it. You are of the Obama is the Worst Club but just what are you guys after here with these cheap shots. Will you prove how bad Obama is or just how little you have to prove it.

+40 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry I didn't know Obama was the president of world.

+29 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread and will continue to do so in every thread that bashes Obama for doing his job.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, what's with all of the dissing of Obama for going about his regularly scheduled life? Seriously, what is he suppose to do, catch a flight to Japan, roll up his sleeves and do rescue work?

He has already made it clear that the US will help Japan in any way they request. What more do you folks want from him? To break down and cry like John Boehner? You want him to sit glued to his TV and internet sifting through the disinformation to get the facts? I can guarantee you he is doing everything within his capacity to assist in the situation, and he is certainly better informed than us, but I suppose it's never going to be enough for some of you.

This is nothing more than another pathetic attempt to take a shot at disparaging Obama.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think it's fine for him to go anywhere. Not sure what your issue is. He's easily reachable, I presume they have teleconferencing if necessary and he isn't the President of Japan. I assume that all the planners and strategists have already proposed plans in the event of escalation of the disaster/s. So what else can he do except wait to see what happens. He's not yet President of the World, just America.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Please advise exactly what you would like him to be doing, because I am not sure what he could be doing, apart from standing on the West coast shouting shoo shoo!!

I think Canute tried that once and it didn't work out to well for him!

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The world is falling apart and hes going to Rio.

Yeah...obviously he should cancel all meetings and events...and head to Japan himself to block the radiation

I just have one question...what would be an accetable course of action in your opinion?

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
One the one hand we have poor, poor Obama. . . .
and on the other hand

Bush came under more criticism when Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast region during the early hours of August 29, 2005. In the wake of the hurricane, two levees protecting New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain collapsed, leading to widespread flooding. In the aftermath of this disaster, thousands of city residents, unable to evacuate prior to the hurricane, became stranded with little or no relief for several days, resulting in lawless and unsanitary conditions in some areas. Blame for inadequate disaster response was partially attributed to state and local authorities, but public outcry in the disaster's early hours was largely directed at the Bush administration, mainly the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)[71] and the Department of Homeland Security[72] alleging weak crisis management and coordination. In fact a Canadian search-and-rescue team actually made it to a New Orleans suburb five days before U.S. aid arrived.[73]

en.wikipedia.org...

What's good for the goose. . .. .

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I agree that Obama is equally effective no matter what his geographic location is (that isn't saying much), but you have to admit that after all the heat Bush took for 9/11 and Katrina, to see Obama mirroring it almost step for step is disturbing? Also, we have a radioactive concern, even if it is minimal, what message does it send for him to go to the opposite hemisphere? Kind of similar to his Gulf Coast staged visit that backfired isn't it?

I was a fan of his during the campaign. I even voted for him. I even LOVE his speeches! But, his actions have left me in dire disappointment.

He can't grap a crane and start disassembling debris to look for survivors, but he could visit the west coast, talk to some Japanese communities, make more than single line comments about it. He could state that his number 1 priority is helping Japan and protecting America, and try to dispel any rumors that he is putting economy ahead of life.

I do not solely blame Obama, I believe it is the entire elitist structure in Washington and on Wall Street. I think Obama had great intentions, and showed up for work and found out he had no teeth.

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'll ask you the same question.

What would be an accetable course of action for Obama in your opinion?

+2 more 
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

No , no he is not . He is taking his family on what all in all amounts to another vacation trip . This during what will amount to the largest crisis the modern world has known.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
One the one hand we have poor, poor Obama. . . .
and on the other hand

Bush came under more criticism when Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast region during the early hours of August 29, 2005. In the wake of the hurricane, two levees protecting New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain collapsed, leading to widespread flooding. In the aftermath of this disaster, thousands of city residents, unable to evacuate prior to the hurricane, became stranded with little or no relief for several days, resulting in lawless and unsanitary conditions in some areas. Blame for inadequate disaster response was partially attributed to state and local authorities, but public outcry in the disaster's early hours was largely directed at the Bush administration, mainly the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)[71] and the Department of Homeland Security[72] alleging weak crisis management and coordination. In fact a Canadian search-and-rescue team actually made it to a New Orleans suburb five days before U.S. aid arrived.[73]

en.wikipedia.org...

What's good for the goose. . .. .

Ummmm...that was a US disaster...if you are not aware...Japan is not part of the US.

Apples and Oranges buddy....nice try though.

link   

Originally posted by Thoriumisbest
He's not yet President of the World, just America.

Only when it suits him.

link   
At least if he's playing golf, or visiting other countries, he can't be driving up the deficit and passing outlandish laws.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Big difference: Katrina was in the US. The earthquake was in Japan. I would expect any president to work very hard to help his own countrymen. I am not sure what anyone expects Obama to do, beyond what has already been done: pledging support and dending military to help.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I agree that Obama is equally effective no matter what his geographic location is (that isn't saying much), but you have to admit that after all the heat Bush took for 9/11 and Katrina, to see Obama mirroring it almost step for step is disturbing?

*facepalm*

Again...Japan is not part of the UNITED STATES. You can't compare this to 9/11 or Katrina...absolutely ridiculous [snip]
edit on 15-3-2011 by elevatedone because: removed unecessary / insulting remark.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join