It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Obama doing during this disaster? Hes going to Rio.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Gravity
Is he going to be out of the country at the same time as Rockefeller's and Gates. Are the Bush's still around? Where are the Clinton's? Apparently a lot of important people are getting out of America for some reason, is something in the air?

See, if it is confirmed that all the power elite are out of the country or "missing" at around the same time. Thats when it's time to be scared.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Brazil...

With the upheaval in the middle east...we need OIL...oil that isn't dependant on madmen or that doesn't require invading and occupying.

Factbox: Obama's Brazil visit to yield oil, tech deals

BRASILIA - Brazil and the United States hope for breakthroughs on a range of strategic and economic issues when President Barack Obama visits this weekend.

OIL

This area probably offers the ripest opportunity for substantive progress during Obama's visit. Brazil possesses some of the world's biggest offshore oil reserves, but could use help from abroad -- possibly from U.S. oil firms -- to help extract crude that is 6 km (4 miles) below the ocean surface.

www.cnbc.com...

Brazil finds massive oil field
www.bbc.co.uk...

In 2010 when the rest of the world was licking it's wounds...Brazil's economy expanded by 7.5%

The POTUS is going to the right place at the right time.

We need to lock up Oil deals with Brazil and we need to do it now. Alternative energy is the best choice, but that doesn't happen overnight and we need NON Middle Eastern oil. That or start mapping out war plans in the middle east for the next 50 years.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ahhhh....another thread for stars of hate with no actual solutions or rational discussion.

Has the 2 mins of hate satisfied you? O'Brien would be proud. And you all wonder why you are where you are. Saddening...............

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The US West Coast is about to get a dose of radiation. It will most likely have low radiation all across US. He needs to show solidarity with the people who elected him. You don't see the president of Japan running out of his country. The West Coast of the US is in danger of being radiated and he needs to keep his sorry ass here with his fellow Americans.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
OK i don't remember japan being part of the American empire. i feel horrible for the folks in japan but really OP Obama is the president of another country the USA.
how is it his responsibility to take care of Japan? our troops are already there. an aircraft carrier no less. Nothing that needs to be done by our president for Japan requires him to be sitting in the white house twiddling his thumbs. He has a job to do and he is doing it.

How dare you go to work when people in the world are suffering, you should be sitting in your home patiently waiting for the call to go help and do nothing until that call comes.

this is probably the silliest post i've seen yet here and that is saying quite a bit.

get a life and worry about things that matter...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
The US West Coast is about to get a dose of radiation. It will most likely have low radiation all across US. He needs to show solidarity with the people who elected him. You don't see the president of Japan running out of his country. The West Coast of the US is in danger of being radiated and he needs to keep his sorry ass here with his fellow Americans.

And you have proof of this from where???

He isn't "running out of the country"...he is going to a scheduled visit.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Which should be canceled immediately. This is gonna be a national emergency. As bad as Bush was he never left the country during Katrina and this will be worse.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Would you prefer he go to Japan and dig through the rubble? He has already offered any assistance needed by Japan.... So... what else would you like? I refer you back to the first sentence of my post.

I admit I am not crazy about the job he has done as president, but let's not sit here and pretend he has done nothing at all, alright?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Maybe he'll stay down there lol

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
And if President Obama didn't go, passing up the opportunity to try and develop jobs here in the US because of trade, you'd have a fit and complain and diss him.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think he has done all that their is today in the case of the Japanese crisis. Moreover, he has sent the 7th Fleet to assist in rescue operations. The aide allocation is quite impressive, and it appears that the President meant what he said about offering aide and "whatever assistance is needed."

Here is the aide that has been offered so far from the US. All that can be done to provide comfort and reassurances to our ally in the Pacific seems to be happening.

Factbox: Aid and rescue offers for Japan quake

The U.S. Military is providing support to Japan's response operations with military assets that include air, sea and ground capability. Two Seahawk helicopters have delivered food to Shiroishi, one of the worst affected areas. Nine ships will make up the U.S. relief efforts. Government has allocated $35 million to the operation "Tomodachi" which translates as friendship in Japanese.

-- The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan also arrived in Japan to assist relief efforts. More U.S. warships arrived off the coast on Sunday.

-- The U.S. embassy in Tokyo has provided an initial $100,000 in immediate disaster relief assistance, and Washington is ready to provide any additional help requested.

-- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has deployed a Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) that includes disaster response and nuclear experts, and urban search and rescue teams, comprising 144 people and 12 dogs.

Perhaps, the President will personally visit Japan in the future? In the meantime, there is an ongoing crisis taking place within the United States, and that is the floundering US economy. Moreover, both state and federal government is on the verge of fiscal collapse with astronomical deficits to contend with. I have not approved of much of President Obama's policies or his spending initiatives, but he has a country to run here. Brazil is an emerging economic powerhouse in South America, and it is better to get some deals and treaties with them before China or Russia gets there first. Hopefully, he leaves with something equitable to US and not another one-sided deal that does nothing to improve the economic situation. All that can be done in regards to Japan seems to be taking place.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
A leader that doesn't physically stand and help side-by-side his/her people and his/her allies during times of crisis, is a leader that shall lose all support and trust of the people. A leader that loses support and trust of his/her people, is a leader that will fail on his/her endeavour.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So wait...you are criticizing him for trying to help US business recover from the crisis? Really?

There's a TON you can criticize him for, but this is kinda ridiculous

And what disaster are you talking about? Japan? Should he fly over there to "help"?

You do realize the president can do business wherever he is...we have a thing called "technology"

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
How bad does it look during a nuclear emergency when the President is out of the country? He needs to be here at home, running the country, making sure the west coast is prepared for anything coming our way from Japan. Issuing statements and info to keep people informed, speaking with and coordinating any disaster services that MIGHT be needed on the US West Coast. Whats more important? Its not the Gov. job to create jobs. Private industry creates jobs.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
How bad does it look during a nuclear emergency when the President is out of the country? He needs to be here at home, running the country, making sure the west coast is prepared for anything coming our way from Japan. Issuing statements and info to keep people informed, speaking with and coordinating any disaster services that MIGHT be needed on the US West Coast. Whats more important? Its not the Gov. job to create jobs. Private industry creates jobs.

You do realize he can do everything you ask without being in the country, right? Ever heard of phones, emails, and the Internet?

The physical location of the president matters nothing...unless you're a crazy irrational armchair patriot

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Certainly we do assume that it was scheduled. Why? You know all the reasons I could list, so I won't.
Do we know that it wasn't? Certainly not. The only reason he would have gone if it wasn't scheduled is if he is bugging out. Makes sense to me.

Certainly if not, then he and his guys discussed and debated the question and made an informed decision to go regardless of the controversial image it would foster.

So in that case, the question is, is it reasonable that he has gone? Or more reasonable to have stayed?

His thinking? See above.

Our thinking? See the posts through out and see how it all seems to line up on one side or the other. And you know as well as I what those sides probably are.

Which brings me to the reason I am replying to YOU. I really like your sig. with the right and left paradigm being over. I read the article. Can you direct me to other threads which have run about this issue. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Physical location matters more than you think. Physical presence is what gives people hope and assures them that you truly care about their wellbeing. Most importantly it shows true leadership, which is what people seek as a representative.

Speeches don't show leadership. Actions do. Holidays in times of crisis isn't leadership.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Originally posted by beezzer
One the one hand we have poor, poor Obama. . . .
and on the other hand

Bush came under more criticism when Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast region during the early hours of August 29, 2005. In the wake of the hurricane, two levees protecting New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain collapsed, leading to widespread flooding. In the aftermath of this disaster, thousands of city residents, unable to evacuate prior to the hurricane, became stranded with little or no relief for several days, resulting in lawless and unsanitary conditions in some areas. Blame for inadequate disaster response was partially attributed to state and local authorities, but public outcry in the disaster's early hours was largely directed at the Bush administration, mainly the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)[71] and the Department of Homeland Security[72] alleging weak crisis management and coordination. In fact a Canadian search-and-rescue team actually made it to a New Orleans suburb five days before U.S. aid arrived.[73]

en.wikipedia.org...

What's good for the goose. . .. .

Ummmm...that was a US disaster...if you are not aware...Japan is not part of the US.

Apples and Oranges buddy....nice try though.

Okey, how about obama setting on his hands for over thirty days before doing anything about the Gulf spill? Dragging his heels when other nations offered to help with the clean up? The slow almost non-exisistent responce to the horrible flooding Tenn an Kentucky? Do those fit the bill your looking for?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
You do realize he can do everything you ask without being in the country, right? Ever heard of phones, emails, and the Internet?

The physical location of the president matters nothing...unless you're a crazy irrational armchair patriot

Hmmm, interesting answer. Now if this had been President Bush would you still stand by it or would you be screaming bloody murder for the time he spent down at his ranch in Texas?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join