It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Oh wow, I didn't even see that! I just ordered the expedited, which was supposed to be 2-3 business days. I ordered it for my mom who lives in California, and told her it should be there in a couple of days. Crap.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I ordered some from CVS on Saturday and now they just told me that they canceled my order because they ran out...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You know... when I was offered the stuff about two years ago, I laughed... and thought NOPE-won't ever need that.... and I live REAL close to TMI.

But, my ever so smart wife made me take possession of them. I am glad I did...I just don't know where this mess is gonna end up at.

Good luck everyone.... PREPARE.

The Chinese and/or Russian (or the rest of the bad guys) may think like Obama and his clan:

Never let a good disaster go to waste.... take advantage of it for your own good. As I see it now...

JAPAN is toast. Russia will dominate the northern sea areas and China the middle to sourth areas.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wonder how many of you guys that are getting these pills and freaking out about possible radiation are sitting there smoking cigarettes???

Panic over one carcinogen, while voluntarilly exposing yourself to another

Also, doesn't iodine 131 have a pretty short half-life and decays fairly quickly??? So you guys are panicing over protecting yourself over most likely what is the least likely to make it to the US...again

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
wow BTS
u got some good threads going

as far as this one goes, here is something
i found unusual. Potassium Iodide must
be the number 1 search engine request
right now at yahoo search. I started typing
it in the form and only got to pota
and it automatically came up first
in the drop down list. wow

here's another interesting fact:

March 13, 2011 - 50,000 potassium iodide tablets have been donated by Nukepills.com to Tokushukai Hospital in Toyko, Japan for immediate distribution to those affected by the nuclear reactor accident. This effort was facilitated by Brigham and Women's Hospital, a teaching facility of Harvard Medical School, in Boston, MA.

www.nukepills.com...

somebody is making a killing off
the sales of this product right now.
It is more popular than an iPhone
or Charlie Sheen it seems.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Again not to spark any panic, and I dont see anyone panicking here...

And I am sure we all agree that its more than right for the Japanese to have whatever they need,
and even first.

Just as a thought....as the reactors are most likely all going to go...

Potassium iodide cannot protect against any other causes of radiation poisoning, nor can it provide any degree of protection against dirty bombs that produce radionuclides other than isotopes of iodine. See fission products and the external links for more details concerning radionuclides.

en.wikipedia.org... en.wikipedia.org...

Historical use and analysisFollowing the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster in April, 1986, a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) was administered to 10.5 million children and 7 million adults in Poland[23] as a prophylactic measure against accumulation of radioactive iodine-131 in the thyroid gland. People in the areas immediately surrounding Chernobyl itself, however, were not given the supplement.[24]

Potassium iodide’s (KI) value as a radiation protective (thyroid blocking) agent was demonstrated at the time of the Chernobyl nuclear accident when Soviet authorities distributed it in a 30 km zone around the plant. The purpose was to protect residents from radioactive iodine, a highly carcinogenic material found in nuclear reactors which had been released by the damaged reactor. Only a limited amount of KI was available, but those who received it were protected. Later, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) reported, “thousands of measurements of I-131 (radioactive iodine) activity...suggest that the observed levels were lower than would have been expected had this prophylactic measure not been taken. The use of KI...was credited with permissible iodine content in 97% of the evacuees tested.”[25

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I have some in my survival pack, and I think I got it either on Amazon or drugstore.com, but not recently.
I was surprised at the time it was so easy to find, and the only reason I bought it was because of something I read here on ATS.

If youre in SE Michigan Iodine is the least of your problems. The cities tend to light up whenever any opportunity to loot presents itself and if LE fades away to protect it's own, your survival pack should contain some prussic acid snacks for you and your family which so I read works faster than burning to death or being turned into a cat-toy or sex toy for a mob

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
here is an interesting demographic from yahoo search
about who is hunting potassium iodide on the
internet. def worth taking a peek.

Yahoo Results

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Goodness sakes Boon!

I think it is rather interesting that it seems this stuff went quick like the morning of the
Japan Earthquake, even before the first meltdown was reported.

And who is always accusing us here on ATS of being conspiracy theorists?

We were all more concerned with getting the facts down...us news hounds anyways.

I just decided that even though I can take it we should get some...and low and behold...
it was too late to find hardly anywhere.

Now tell me who is paranoid, and all out in a panic, it seems its the Governments that ordered it first.
Question is, obviously Japan will hand it out -

But what about the other countries? and yes even the U.S. - Will they?
edit on 15-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There's no need to seek it out. America is wasting the supply when they are not even in danger. The only way this pill will help you is if you are close and the light fallout (which causes the thyroid problems) hits the ground. The US, if it gets any fallout, will get the bulkier heavy fallout that drifts for long periods and causes the cancer of other parts later on in life. There is no magic "pill" for that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cedius4344

The need for anything that will assist in preventing future cancer is very high. All 6 reactors are going to melt down uncontrollably. Because there is a leak in the containment unit. Deadly radiation is being emitted, into the environment. They have to evacuate. The redneck said this clearly first, and now Russia is saying this is the most likely scenario. Its not just the most likely, its the only possible outcome. They have to evactuate and can't maintain the rest with sea water, so this is what is happening. Most of Japan will be a dead zone. It has to be evacuated. Whatever is usable will be compromised.

The whole east coast of China and Russia, and the west coast of North America will be affected. Short term but still significant.

Russia is already poised to evacuate their eastern islands, because they know. There is no other possibility.

This is the worst nuclear accident on the planet, and its going to have severe consequences world wide.

I'm writing this not even 2 hours from the west coast, in a heavy rain zone.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
now FOX is running with the story.
See BTS what you cause ????
A nationwide panic !!!!
lmao

just kidding girl

keep up the good work

www.foxnews.com...

and I do find it quite odd that the majority
of these sales happened before the first
reactor blew. It was like they knew it
was coming.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
For what its worth may I call your attention to the fact that in the United States there are a number of reactors currently running of the same design as those in Japan.
Now add the fact that earth quake activity has increased as of late.
Factor in faults like the San Andreas and New Madrid to name a few.
There could be very similar situation arise in the USA.
Comments condemning folks who would like to be prepared or are concerned about possible fallout from the Japanese accident are in my humble opinion out right rude.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
now I am more concerned than ever
about that FEMA exercise planned
having to do with earthquakes.
That along with the US Gov buying
up stockpiles of this pill is kinda
scary. Not even counting, buying
up 140 Million meals a month ago.
When you add all these together,
it only leads up to one thing.

Another 9/11 type event with
a side dish of nuclear fall-out.

Are there any nuclear power plants
near that fault line in AK ???
or the one in CA ???
there just seems like too many
indicators here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I just wanted to add a bit of information... I have found at least 60 websites that have plenty of potassium iodide in stock and ready to ship if anyone still needs some just u2u me...in no way do i support these sites nor am I selling or advertising i just want to help

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dkwlttrman

jeebus
were you reading my mind or what ???
I posted that before I read ur post.
lol

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by dkwlttrman

jeebus
were you reading my mind or what ???
I posted that before I read ur post.
lol

Great minds think alike.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
now I am more concerned than ever
about that FEMA exercise planned
having to do with earthquakes.

Well San Fransisco they moved out the Naval Base at Alameda... LA has too many bases like Point Mugu, San Nicholas, Vandenberg etc... so I think LA is safe... but San Francisco errrrr

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I had no idea there were that many irrational, hysterical people in the U.S.. Oh well, the pill manufacturers will get a nice little cash bonus.

I have Hyperthyroidism and chose not to take it because the cure can be worse than the disease. Anyway the side effects follow:

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, diarrhea, metallic taste in the mouth, fever, headache, or acne may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: burning mouth/throat, sore teeth/gums, swelling inside the mouth, increased saliva, eye irritation/swollen eyelids, severe headache, swelling of the front of the neck/throat (goiter), signs of decreased thyroid gland function (e.g., weight gain, cold intolerance, slow/irregular heartbeat, constipation, unusual tiredness), confusion, numbness/tingling/pain/weakness of the hands/feet.Seek immediate medical attention if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: chest pain, black stools, vomit that looks like coffee grounds, bloody diarrhea.A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing, fever with joint pain.This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Nobody in the U.S. will likely ever need to take the pills and those taking them out of pure hysteria should at least know the side effects first. Perhaps that will stop people from taking them needlessly.

With such reckless behavior by the media I'm not terribly surprised. What is really sad is those pills could have gone to Japan where they will be needed instead of wasted here where nobody will need them.

Why people feel the need to make this about themselves is beyond me, but it happens every time there is a tragedy. I suppose it has to do with drawing attention to themselves and some sort of bizarre jealousy for the real victims.
edit on 3/15/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Obama is just a puppet. I will never forget after he was elected when he was in that meeting with the real controllers and the look on his face, in his eyes afterwards. He looked crushed.

Of course is this the new 9/11. Bush was in a classroom with kids, photographed. Now Obama has done the same thing.

I am very very concerned for the people of Japan. These are targetted quakes and disasters that are being helped along.

With 6 reactors going into meltdown, I'm afraid they may do worse to Japan, try to submerge it.

They have to start evacuating to the south and the world has to get them out of there, no matter how long it takes, and those with any positions of authority or say, have to start to band up against this group of renegades and Say No!!!! They have to be taken down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join