It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
All non-essential workers have been evacuated from the plant.

Respect to the few ones still there trying to contain the damage. They are surely gonna feel the affects, if not die as a result.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Actually, this is reporting 8,217 microsievert. That is roughly 8.22 milisievert.

Radiation sickness becomes dangerous (ie.: short term effects) at 200 milisievert.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
We have had reports of the radiation levels increasing 4 fold in less than an hour.. and now we have this report...

Nuke plant operator: reactor seal intact

...Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) "said it believes the container vessel has not sustained damage such as a hole, judging from the fact that the radiation level has not jumped," a spokesman for the country's nuclear safety said....

I guess conflicting reports are to be expected considering the situation but this one has me puzzled...

edit on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:23:22 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: sp

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
METAR for Narita, Tokyo The report was made 22 minutes ago, at 01:00 UTC

METAR: RJAA 150100Z 04014KT 010V070 9999 BKN020 11/04 Q1010 NOSIG

Wind 14 kt from northeast, varying between north and east/northeast

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Haha, that's a good one! Unless they mean a continual growth in rising radioactivity?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Very sad. We need to rethink coal burners for our energy source. Nukes are being perceived as risky right now and coal is cheaper and plentiful. Not to mention that coal burners have come along way now days in their ability to filter the smoke stacks. Environmentalists will still lobby against it, though. Interesting choices coming our way.

There is NO need to for coal. We need freeenergy. But, on the coast where these plants are for the water, Wave and Tide would be a massive power house. Clean technology 100%. No fossil fuels are needed whatsoever, or nuclear.

Geothermal as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Japanese Prime Minister scheduled to speak on NHK, 7pm PST...

About 30 minutes from now.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The Japanese officials are worried about the potential for widespread mass panic... I believe that is the reason for so many conflicting news reports in Japan.

From their possible perspective..

Realistically, even if there is a worst case scenario here, they are already dealing with severely damaged infrastructure... MILLIONS of people on an ISLAND... Logistically it is a complete nightmare.

Telling people to stay indoors, and remain calm, control information and news, not cover it up, but minimize the severity so as to avoid mass panic. Evacuate as many people as possible nearest the affected sites. There isn't much more or less that they can do at this point, no matter how bad it gets.

Railroads damaged, roads, bridges damaged, airport runways damaged, sea ports damaged... Mass evacuations are logistically impossible, and would likely be as dangerous or worse than the quake and tsunami in regards to loss of life, especially if millions of people panic.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
We have had reports of the radiation levels increasing 4 fold in less than an hour.. and now we have this report...

Nuke plant operator: reactor seal intact

...Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) "said it believes the container vessel has not sustained damage such as a hole, judging from the fact that the radiation level has not jumped," a spokesman for the country's nuclear safety said....

I guess conflicting reports are to be expected considering the situation but this one has me puzzled...

edit on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:23:22 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: sp

I wouldn't trust much of anything they say. First they say radiation levels have suddenly jumped 4 times and the last line of defense containment vessel is compromised, and now this idiotic statement?
edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

The Japanese officials are worried about the potential for widespread mass panic... I believe that is the reason for so many conflicting news reports in Japan.

From their possible perspective..

Realistically, even if there is a worst case scenario here, they are already dealing with severely damaged infrastructure... MILLIONS of people on an ISLAND... Logistically it is a complete nightmare.

Telling people to stay indoors, and remain calm, control information and news, not cover it up, but minimize the severity so as to avoid mass panic. Evacuate as many people as possible nearest the affected sites. There isn't much more or less that they can do at this point, no matter how bad it gets.

Railroads damaged, roads, bridges damaged, airport runways damaged, sea ports damaged... Mass evacuations are logistically impossible, and would likely be as dangerous or worse than the quake and tsunami in regards to loss of life.

You are probably correct. The Tokyo area is their biggest concern. Where would they evacuate 42 million people to? They couldn't.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
NHK just said they were given word that the steel containment vessel was still sealed and safe.

NHK World Live
Reuters - Steel Containment Vessel

edit on 3/14/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
'Russia Today' is reporting on tv now that radiation levels are rising outside Fukushima complex, and they have emergency services on high alert in Russia's far east.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Negotium of Verum

Actually, this is reporting 8,217 microsievert. That is roughly 8.22 milisievert.

Radiation sickness becomes dangerous (ie.: short term effects) at 200 milisievert.

You are correct. I will correct that misstatement.

But this begs the question: How could it possibly be so low??? At 8.22 milliSievert per hour, then people could safely stand next to the reactor WITHOUT protection for 3 hours (about the same level of a CT scan 30mSV).

There is no way in hell it is that low!! WITH a radiation suit, you could probably hang out next to the reactor for 8 hours without major health effects/risks.

With all the explosions and leaking going on, I find it very difficult to believe the radiation levels aren't higher.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

But this begs the question: How could it possibly be so low??? At 8.22 milliSievert per hour, then people could safely stand next to the reactor WITHOUT protection for 3 hours (about the same level of a CT scan 30mSV).

There is no way in hell it is that low!! WITH a radiation suit, you could probably hang out next to the reactor for 8 hours without major health effects/risks.

With all the explosions and leaking going on, I find it very difficult to believe the radiation levels aren't higher.

Good point. let us not forget the US Navy personnel that were contaminated with radiation...at least **100 miles** from the reactor. They never set foot near the thing. So I will have to agree. I find it very unbelievable that the radiation levels are this low.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
small update, the ustream channel with the gieger counter is now offline, last I saw it was at 13.50 cpm which hasn't really changed for a while. if anyone knows of another one post links here.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

I wouldn't put it past the company and the government to lie about current radiation levels around the plant. Just look at TEPCO's history of scandals and cover-ups.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
i've been talking to my chemistry prof about this.. he said "people engineer these things to be almost invincible, to the forces that we can comprehend"

OBVIOUSLY WE ALL DROPPED THE BALL ON THAT ONE! GOOD THING THERE ARE 6 OF THOSE REACTORS IN CALIFORNIA, ON THE EDGE OF ANOTHER OCEANIC PLATE PRONE TO TSUNAMIS!

yay technology!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I hate to say it, but I completely agree. Like I posted earlier, I have a high suspicion that all 3 reactors are in meltdown, despite what they say. I think they are continuing the attempted cooling, trying to avoid an even bigger disaster.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
most of us are here because we don't trust the goverment or main stream news to tell us the truth

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join