It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be melting through the bottom of the reactor. I hope it doesn't eventually hit the water table and explode.

edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
I'd just like to reassure those that are very worried that I am quite convinced that this indeed is being handled about a thousand times better than cherynobl, there is no evidence that the control rods are melting and nothing can be done, far from it, right now my biggest concern is that a relativly small breach in the newest reactor explosion may have raised RAD levels, all reports seam to hint at that =(

of course if I we're sure, i'd be on a six digit salery, I just hope my guts right on this one.

If there is a complete meltdown, it will form Corium, which has physical properties that make prediction of actual outcome possible. The meltdown at Chernobyl was of a different and perhaps more dangerous architecture; the ultimate result was the formation of Corium lava.

The worrisome part of Fukushima is the spent fuel pools that *were* on top of the reactors, each containing tons of radioactive fuel. That fuel will spontaneously burn in contact with air if uncovered, releasing more radiation into the environment than a nuclear weapon.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Some points heard from a live report on FNC..

rising rad levels in the area..

Evacuation of the plant, only 50 workers will remain on site. (reported not confirmed)

Worries of the forecasted shift of the winds. (winds forecasted from the NE and shifting from the East..)

suspected breach of the containment vessel.. (also they played a translated video of an NHK feed, where the spokesmen mentioned a loss of pressure in the containment which led them to believe that it had been breached)

2.75 meters of one of the rods are exposed.. no word on whether the efforts to pump water is still underway..

edit on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:00:02 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The spin doctors are once again saying that the explosion was actually a good thing as it eased the pressure that was building up....gosh, I just can't believe how dumb they think we are.

edit to add quote and link:

In some ways, the explosion at Unit 3 was not as dire as it might seem.

The blast actually lessened pressure building inside the troubled reactor, and officials said the all-important containment shell -- thick concrete armor around the reactor -- had not been damaged. In addition, officials said radiation levels remained within legal limits, though anyone left within 12 miles of the scene was ordered to remain indoors.

New Explosion Heard at Troubled Japanese Nuclear Plant Damaged in Earthquake, Tsunami

edit on 14-3-2011 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
# BREAKING NEWS: TEPCO detects radiation of 8,217 micro sievert per hour, 8 times annual limit (09:03)

Kyodo News

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I've advised family members with young children in Japan just south of the blasts to bug out for the deep south, swab forearms with povidone iodine solution (BETADYNE), wear dustmasks and stay out of the rain.

This kind of SHTF scenario is why I keep bottled water and precooked pulltab canned food in my 4WD.

There's more I wish I could tell you, but for now I can't...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
CNN have wandered back to the tsunami trying to obviously find the facts as they have nothing more yet, unless they be hiding something but honestly I think its the former this time.

gieger counter is at 13 cpm, not much change, not enough to say the S has hit the F

ed: gah literally as I click enter they talk about the nuclear plant again...nothing we haven't heard before yet.
edit on 14-3-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They said the containment box is now damage

all 3 reactors are in meltdown

does this mean it can be worst than chernobyl ?
and that in apx 36 hrs the west of north american
will be affected by the radiation wave transported by the wind ?

they should evacuate the entire Japan island

edit on 3/14/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

My thoughts are with your family and I hope no harm comes to them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Oh #! The suppression chamber has a leak/crack/breach! What does this mean? NO more COOLING on number 2! And this means? Meltdown inevitable.

Also, the fluid from the suppression that is leaking is highly radioactive.

Prayers for all those in the area.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sky news is reporting right now on tv that radiation at the plant has risen four fold.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Some points heard from a live report on FNC..

rising rad levels in the area..

Evacuation of the plant, only 50 workers will remain on site. (reported not confirmed)

Worries of the forecasted shift of the winds. (winds forecasted from the NE and shifting from the East..)

suspected breach of the containment vessel.. (also they played a translated video of an NHK feed, where the spokesmen mentioned a loss of pressure in the containment which led them to believe that it had been breached)

2.75 meters of one of the rods are exposed.. no word on whether the efforts to pump water is still underway..

edit on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:00:02 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

That would be 2.75 meters of ALL the rods are exposed. And that's if they can really tell where the rods are. I'm assuming they either can, or that measurement is assumed based on water level in the reactor. If the rods aren't where they are supposed to be, then that number doesn't mean anything.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The latest from reuters...

Radiation levels rise four-fold at stricken Japan reactor

The radiation reading at 08:31am local time (2331 GMT) climbed to 8,217 microsieverts an hour from 1,941 about 40 minutes earlier, Tokyo Eletcric Power Co said.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Sadly, it seems that a meltdown of at least 1 reactor is imminent. They should seriously be considering the evacuation of Tokyo area. But I just can't see them evacuating 42 million people. A logistical nightmare.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f29d898f3ae1.jpg[/atsimg]

If this was reactor #2 they have a problem.

This was not a hydrogen explosion in the outer building. its too directed.

This is a explosion from the drywell area of the reactor.
That means the secondary containment structure is blown out

Most likely the concrete and steel plug over the reactor is blown off and likely a large amount of damage has been done to the reactor piping.

en.wikipedia.org...:BWR_Mark_I_Containment,_diagram.png

reg

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
The latest from reuters...

Radiation levels rise four-fold at stricken Japan reactor

The radiation reading at 08:31am local time (2331 GMT) climbed to 8,217 microsieverts an hour from 1,941 about 40 minutes earlier, Tokyo Eletcric Power Co said.

I just heard this on the TV. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but is that a high amount? or if not what would be considered a dangerous level? thanks

link   
This is not a good thing, these reactors are having a CORE MELTDOWN
and the MSM is downplaying it like it is nothing!

How sick is this?

link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

NHK now reporting a "vapour" coming from the top of reactor number 3 now, they don't know what it is.....
edit on 14-3-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

link   
NHK World is reporting a "white vapor" continuously rising from the building, but at the moment the authorities are unsure as to what it is.

NHK World Live (with translator)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
has anyone got one of those live feeds for google news yet? cnn is becoming increasingly vague,i'm watching 4 screens at once on some channel and only one relates to the reactors, and I have no audio for that screen -_-

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join