It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Negotium of Verum
reply to post by Valhall

I'm sorry for barging in on this thread, but to clarify;
10,000 millisieverts are what the article is referring to.
(8000 roughly)µSv= microsieverts (smaller)

We would need quite a bit more radiation to approach immediately lethal levels.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Negotium of Verum because: blargh

Oh...thank you! You are absolutely correct, and I absolutely misread. That's good news.

Well...it's not good news. It's better news. We're still close to the lethal range, so...hmmm. Yeah.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Man... I'm sick and tired of the ongoing crap they are feeding us, especially NHK!
What are they going to do in the case of a meltdown, are they going to tell us or are they still living in denial?

Do we need to call in the Russian liquidators?

Clock is ticking

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
Anyone else find it strange that a reactor designed back in 1967 and initially scheduled to be shut down by now would still be in use when there are much safer 2nd and 3rd generation designs available? The Japanese were known for buying new appliances and cars every 5 years whether they needed them or not. To keep an antique power plant that was only designed to survive a 6.5 quake online seems nuts. You would think they would have had to at least take it offline shut it down and check for cracks after the 7.2 quake they had a couple weeks ago?

It's no different in the U.S. As I stated in a previous thread, a significant portion (majority would probably be more like it) of the US nuclear power plant arsenal are past their service life AND for a good chunk of that time have been being operated at output levels ABOVE their originally designed operating point. Surveys in the past have shown a large number of reactors in the US have structural cracks due to the over-designed-for loads they have been running at.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Workers have been trying to keep sea water pouring into the No. 2 reactor since Monday, when a hydrogen explosion at reactor No. 3 damaged the cooling system at unit 2 and injured 11 people, Japanese authorities said. A similar hydrogen explosion on Saturday blew the roof off the containment structure around the No. 1 reactor.

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said Tuesday that up to 2.7 meters (8.8 feet) of the No. 2 reactor's control rods -- about half -- have been uncovered. And Yukio Edano, Japan's chief Cabinet secretary, said he could not rule out the possibility of a meltdown at all three troubled reactors at the plant.

But Bergeron said that while it is likely the reactor cores have been damaged, "it will have to get a lot hotter" for the dense uranium in the reactor's fuel rods to melt down. That would give authorities and the surrounding population time to prepare.

New blast causes fresh trouble at Japanese nuclear plant

the rods havent melted yet

but with these explosions the heat will get higher until they finally melt
i think its inevitable now

once the dense uranium get affected
north of Japan is doom .. they should start a massive evacuation NOW

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
NHK: If the containment vessel is indeed breached, either gas or liquid will leak out.

About 10 minutes ago they were speaking about a white gas seen rising from the reactor... add two and two... and that is a bad sign.

EDIT: to add, once again, a live link to NHK World (with translator)

*SkyWatcher says the reactor emitting the white gas was reactor 3, not 2. I thought they were speaking of reactor 2, after the explosion.
edit on 3/14/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I agree, they should try and get all who they can out now. It would be very difficult in the earthquake aftermath tho.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Heard another fresh report that mentioned that rain is expected in Fukushima, which they claim would limit the spread of the radioactive material, although it wouldn't be so great for Fukushima as most will fall with the rains and increase their levels of contamination.. There are probably members more knowledgeable on these claims than me, so please chime in

here's the wunderground link to the forecast of Fukushima for those interested..

www.wunderground.com...

edit on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:58:36 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: sp

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Konah

No, the vapour was coming from 3, not 2.

They don't know what the vapour from 3 is.

I have a sneaking suspicion that all 3 reactors are in meltdown.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

What we do without keywords and Wikipedia: RAINOUT

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If I may, allow me to steal a line from the movie Platoon.
"Bob, I got a bad feeling about this one."

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon
reply to post by Chakotay

They'd better start pouring concrete if it isn't already too late.

Second Line.

They need to continue attempts to cool the reactor cores for as long as possible, if the above were done now it would allow the meltdown to accelerate and it would literally melt through the containment floor layers, into the earth to the underground water table, where it would then explode massively, ejecting tons of extremely radioactive debris and gases into the atmosphere, along with particulates of the reactor core itself.

Your idea in this case, is NOT a good one.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
wrong thread. post removed
edit on 14-3-2011 by ethancoop because: oops

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Is it just me failing to look in the right places, or is this latest explosion being blacked out. On the other two occasions, we had images of the damage fairly quickly. This time, I see no images of any kind.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

The difference is that the explosin was not external, therefore it was internal. What is inside the reactor? The core, the containment vessel, the suppression chamber. An explosion in this case, whatever it was that exploded, is very bad.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
wrong thread. post removed
edit on 14-3-2011 by ethancoop because: oops

Ethan, (start Mission Impossible bumper music)-
I think we've all learned something here today-
Chakotay's Law:

Panic quickly, run far, apologize later...
Because when you Orbitz, you knows...

Originally posted by Negotium of Verum
Is it just me failing to look in the right places, or is this latest explosion being blacked out. On the other two occasions, we had images of the damage fairly quickly. This time, I see no images of any kind.

No one in their right mind is going to fly near this one until levels go down- and there is probably an airspace restriction in place now (civilian no-fly zone).
edit on 14-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Negotium of Verum

Again, it was an internal explosion...no external means to see it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Ah OK. I had not heard that yet. I assumed the explosion was just a similar incident to the others, only this one had collateral.

Well, this is more serious than I thought.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
From Kyodo News

TOKYO, March 15 - (Kyodo) The radiation level at the troubled nuclear plant in Fukushima Prefecture shot up to 8,217 micro sievert per hour temporarily Tuesday morning after an explosion was heard at its No. 2 reactor, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

To the uninitiated - that's 8.2 SV (sievert) of radiation outside the No. 2 reactor.

UPDATE: I was mistaken, I thought that it was 8217 milli Sievert (8.2 SV). Since it's micro Sievert, the rest that follows is not what would happen to you.

**UPDATE 2***: According to the Prime Minister, the correct unit of measure is milli-Sieverts. So the original number I posted (8.2 SV) still stands!

If you stood next to that nuclear plant right now, according to Wikipedia, without any protection you would have:

• Nausea & vomiting for 48+ hours
  • Heavy diarrhea within 1 hour
  • Severe headache within 1 to 2 hours
  • A high fever in less than 1 hour
  • Completely incapacitated mentally (couldn't think at all)
  • You would go into shock
  • And no matter what kind of medical care you got, you would die with 100% certainty.

So, at 8.2 SV, you would die a horrible & painful death. This is not good at all.

edit on 14-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Negotium of Verum

Yeah, no worries, it's easy to miss details when they don't annouce them obviously. Notice everyone, this time the reported explosion was not "seen", it was "heard". They have told you it was internal, but not in so many words.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
TEPCO officials are still downplaying the seriousness of the situation with purposefully vague statements.
edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join