It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Range Weapons Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Looking for some advise for a long range rifle.

I have been searching and researching a few. But I would like the experts advise.

-should have at least 500 yard range on a point target.
-One am considering is a .308 Winchester any knowledge on this weapon?

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks
edit on 8-3-2011 by morf991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Depends on the game lol. Anything bigger than a deer needs a higher caliber, but the more common ones are best simply because of availability. If SHTF and you run out of ammo for your fancy 50 cal you're probably going to be out of luck for a resupply
I like a .308 or 30-06. With a scope

Happy Hunting

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

A .308 is actually a perfect choice for a mid to long range weapon for many reasons. Number one the ballistics of the .308 are what made it the US military favorite for so many years. It retained a solid amount of force over moderate distances with good impact performance. Ammunition is also very plentiful for this reason as well. I would suggest sticking with either a Savage model 10, 110, 12 or the Remington 700. They are both relatively inexpensive for a long range shooter and the upgrade options are endless.

edit on 3/8/2011 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I would like a rifle that is able to take down a large deer at least in the ranges of 600-900.

edit on 8-3-2011 by morf991 because: spelling

Will those weapons have enough power to put down a large deer?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
A Remington 700 in .308 NATO is your best bet, a bit pricy depending on the model you choose, but an awsome gun. I have a .308 Savage model12 with bull barrel. It's a great hunting rifle and it has the Accu-trigger which I love, and it's very affordable at about $600. If you want really long range, don't bother with a .50 cal, go get yourself a Chey-Tac .416, an awesome rifle out to about a mile and a half.

If you want semi-auto capability I would suggest a member of the Springfield Armory M1A family. I like the M1A Scout Squad myself.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

my friend,
there is a caliber which is very well known in europe and scandinavia that BLOWS AWAY both the 30-06 and the .308/7.62 nato. It has been used by military and hunters, is quite popular in Canada as well. Finally americans are learning about it. if you don't believe me, please do some ballistics info before makind a decision. It is the smallest size you can use on big game hunts in africa, yet it is proven and plentiful.

it is the awesome 9.3x62mm.. I have fired everything we had in the usmc and this is the beezkneez whether dropping big game, going thru armor, or chopping trees..

granted its no .50 bmg but it is way more unassuming, practical, and won't attract unnecessary attention

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

A .308 will absolutely put down a large deer. You have to remember when it comes to hunting it's not so much about the caliber or the power that is behind it, as much as it is about shot placement and the shooters ability to make that shot.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What type of scopes do y'all recommend? Nothing to expensive, but definably accurate

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

If you want a bolt gun then I'd suggest the M-700 as SpaDe_ mentioned previosly. If you are also interested in a semi auto platform then I would suggest the M1a/M-14 or the S-308. Building a quality/SHTF M-14 will cost you over $2k. For far less you could get an S-308. forum.saiga-12.com.../forum/6-saiga-308/ They're very accurate and can be customized to fit your needs. If you're good with a dremel you could do a conversion on it and it would look like a heavier AK-47 in around 45 minutes.

edit on 8-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: Embedding fail

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
A Remington 700 in .308 NATO is your best bet, a bit pricy depending on the model you choose, but an awsome gun. I have a .308 Savage model12 with bull barrel. It's a great hunting rifle and it has the Accu-trigger which I love, and it's very affordable at about $600. If you want really long range, don't bother with a .50 cal, go get yourself a Chey-Tac .416, an awesome rifle out to about a mile and a half.

If you want semi-auto capability I would suggest a member of the Springfield Armory M1A family. I like the M1A Scout Squad myself.

I agree with this post as far as the remington 700 goes. i believe its the basis of what the marines use for sniping. Great rifle. You could drop some serious money and have an amazing shooter.

If you want something a little more cost effective. My friend bought a garand and then put a synthetic stock on it. it is a beautiful, very accurate, and fun rifle. he bought the service grade. Im probably going to get one and leave the original furniture on it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

For a good mid range scope your going to be looking at around the $250 - $300 range. Mueller, Nikon, Millet are just a few mid range scopes that are good for what your looking to do. I wouldn't suggest getting an off brand scope or a low quality scope for a long range rifle. They are fine for like .22's and plinking, but that isn't what your looking to do.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Why such long range?

You should be practicing your stalking skills so you can make the shot from 100 yards and be absolutely sure of the kill.

About the only thing I'd take a shot at at such a long range would be an enemy human. I wouldn't want to have to drag the carcass any further than necessary.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Your best option for hunting is a bolt action. Others have mentioned the Savage and Remington and thet are very good, don't overlook the Winchester 70 (on the higher $$$ range) or the newer Mossbergs. As for caliber taking white tail deer at distances of 500yd or more...I wouldn't recommend - I'd keep it 500yds and less (with the ability for longer shots). 308 or 30-06 are outstanding choices as are 25-06, 257Roberts, 7mm Magnum, 270, 280, 300win mag...in short anything 25cal or larger. With the 308 or 30-06 you can use accelerators for smaller game/varmints. These are basically 22cal bullets enclosed by a sabot loaded in a 308 or 30-06 case = VERY high velocity. The 308, if shtf will give you a more readily available supply of ammo, whereas the 30-06 will not be in as great of supply.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991
I would like a rifle that is able to take down a large deer at least in the ranges of 600-900.

edit on 8-3-2011 by morf991 because: spelling

Will those weapons have enough power to put down a large deer?

half a mile is a long shot- for one a long barrel would do you a big favor- 20 inches or better, very good optics, that are capable of seeing that far. fwiw.. a 168 gr .308 round will no longer be supersonic at 900m and will require somewhere on the order of 348 inches of elevation to get there. A lot of people who shoot at those ranges for a living and use the .308 are moving towards the .300 mag as of late.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob1971

As far as ammo supply goes for the .308 or the 30-06 it depends on the op's location. In the US the 30-06 is more widely used than the .308 but overseas the 30-06 is practically unheard of. Personally I would choose the 30-06 over the .308 because it's a better bush weapon.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
300win mag, 7mm mag ,270, 30 06 , 243 , 22 250,

308s a junk round and all the rest will be hard to come by if you're looking for long range shooting ammo

7.62 x 54 is hotter than 308 but doesn't have the dusting power of 30 06.

700 ADL or BDL has pretty much the smoothest long Mauser style action, unless you step up to a Browning A bolt or Weatherby.

just stick to the top 6 and you'll be good to go

edit on 8-3-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So the general consensus is a caliber of .308.

Along with the Remington, Winchester, or a Savage.

Am new to weapons ,so there is a lot of information to take in.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions y'all. I will take into consideration all of the information presented to me.

Very much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by inbound

I was just going to mention that. The Army recently went with 300 win mag for its XM2010 sniper rifle as the 308 wasn't quite cutting it at the longer rangers often needed in Afghanistan. The 300 mag is a powerful, accurate round and quite capable of reaching out and taking a game animal at those distances.

My 2 cents is if I were looking for such a rife I'd look in 308 or 300 mag. - and if most of my shooting was going to be at that distance it would be 300 mag. If most was going to be shorter than that - it would be 308.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991
Looking for some advise for a long range rifle.

I have been searching and researching a few. But I would like the experts advise.

-should have at least 500 yard range on a point target.
-One am considering is a .308 Winchester any knowledge on this weapon?

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks

Try the .338 Lapua. Pretty flat trajectory out to about 1000 yards, Also the 25-06 is pretty flat shooting. The ammo is relatively available and you can purchase dies to neck down the 30-06 shell casing from .30 caliber to .25 caliber. I personally don't care for the 25-06 as the report hearts my ears with earplugs in and muffs on.

The NATO .308 round is highly overrated. Last summer, a marine buddy of mine wanted to try his new Ruger bolt action chambered in .308 out on my farm. We counted off up to 500 yards at 100 yard increments. At 500 yards the bullet drop was 8 feet 6 inches. My 30-06 only dropped a little less than three feet. Coincidentally we were shooting the same 150 grain weight bullet, both also were Winchester off the shelf ammo.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I'm with SpaDe on the .308 winchester magnum.
Very flat shooting kick butt cartridge.
A good scope well sighted in will make for half your accuracy.
Be sure to use the same round and loads for consistency when practicing.
Be prepared to sink at least $1500 into a rifle that will shoot accurately at the distance you want.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join