It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Americans should not be allowed in England either, then.

But it makes no difference. If the USA can't control the southern border now, what makes you think that they will if TX leaves.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I find in a good thing if Texas did this. It would make the U.S have to act and act fast. to come to terms with Texas. They would also have to deal with other States following Texas. I think if Texas did do this it would start a 2nd Civil War. To the people who think People from Texas should be barred from the rest of the united states. With Texas gone the collapse of the U.S is going to happen sooner rather than Later with the loss of Taxes and other money losses. So yeah Bar them than in less than ten years when the U.S is a "Third country nation" you might think back to what a stupid thought that was lol..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

There is no question, at least in my mind that if Texas did ever decide to secede, that it would be an incredibly complicated, but not impossible scenario to make it happen and succeed. This movement has been around for so long, that many of the things you are concerned about have already been discussed. Even if I am not in favor of a particular idea, it is still important to know both sides of any position in order to form an opinion or be better informed on a topic.

I have heard for example your point mentioned previously regarding retired military and social security pensioners. That issue actually would not be a problem. If Texas became an independent Republic or country as our state was many years ago, any person now living within the state would merely be given the choice of becoming a citizen of Texas, or remaining a U S citizen. If they chose to remain a U S citizen, then they would become foreign nationals residing within the country, and be issued visas, as what now occurs in the numerous countries across the globe where Americans reside. Any American who is eligible for retirement benefits under social security or military benefits for example, can still receive those monies, even if they are living in a foreign country.

As far as some of the large companies are concerned, they would become multi-national corporations if they weren't already. Most are.

With reference to government installations such as NASA, or military bases in Texas, they would continue, if they chose to remain. How many thousands of installations and/or agreements do we now have all over the world in foreign countries? How many billions did we spend in the Panama Canal alone? I believe it was about 70 billion if I am remembering correctly, and billions of dollars on all foreign installations worldwide.

Same thing with reference to roads and interstate commerce.

In reality will this ever happen? Probably not. I learned a long time ago however, to never say never.....

edit on 3/8/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET

Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (1869) was a significant case argued before the United States Supreme Court in 1869. The Court held in a 5–3 decision that Texas had remained a state of the United States ever since it first joined the Union, despite its joining the Confederate States of America and its being under military rule at the time of the decision in the case. It further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

caselaw.lp.findlaw.com...

That being said, many states have passed such resolutions, not just Texas.

WASHINGTON RESOLUTION
NEW HAMPSHIRE RESOLUTION
ARIZONA RESOLUTION
MONTANA RESOLUTION
MICHIGAN RESOLUTION
MISSOURI RESOLUTION
CALIFORNIA RESOLUTION
GEORGIA RESOLUTION
OKLAHOMA
edit on 7-3-2011 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

This is worriesome. I have added a picture of states by GDP and correlated
the states that have thought about seceding. I have not added recent states that
are having problems with unions however it does seem like the USA is in a
bit of a mess doesn't it?

The US can not afford any state to leave the Union especially not Texas, California or
Illinois as they are part of the U.S. economic powerhouses. The Continental US would
practically lose access to the Pacific Ocean if Oregon joined those wishing to leave or
it would have to go through Canada.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1021b3b8cc05.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
To add to your last paragraph, there will be plenty of angry, starving people with guns.

lol
u don't know us boondock boys very well.
every lil critter with 4 legs becomes a target
for dinner

maybe you should listen to this video

Sword meet Bocephus !!!
Bocephus meet Sword !!!

The National Southern Anthem below
as sung by it's writer.

edit on 3/8/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
To be honest, I LOVE Texas, but I don't think this is a good idea.

I would be one of the first to move back to Texas if this did happen, but the problems that would arise would outweigh any benefits right now. Beside the fact that the gov't would look at this as an act of war (which is a poor presumption), Texas also needs a lot of raw materials shipped in. If I remember right, they don't really have any raw steel or or other metals.

Yeah, the cattle-ranching is good out there, but the growing of other crops is tough sometimes due to the rain fluctuations. As for discrimination, they have less there than ANYWHERE I have ever lived. Sure, you have a lot of people that are racist, BUT you have many more that are not. Plus there are more "minorities" living in a lot of parts of Texas than white males/females. Most of the population that is natural Texan have Mexican in the bloodline somewhere.

Oh well... if they say good-bye to the Union, then I just might, too. I miss Texas.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Wouldn't that be up to England? They might want to have a say in that.

But it makes no difference. If the USA can't control the southern border now, what makes you think that they will if TX leaves.

It's easier to defend against racist rednecks than people who are legitimately just trying to make a better life for themselves.

The only thing we would have to do to defend the boarder if Texas leaves the Union is put a bend in the road. Texan's can't drive.

edit on 3/8/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If we just upheld the U.S. Constitution, things would turn out in the benefit of us all.

Our nation has the opportunity to become the beacon of Liberty and Justice we claim to be.

We have conflict now, what we need is cooperation.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by whatukno

So…Texans are racist rednecks who can't drive.

Any more of your true colors you wish to share with the class?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
If Texas secedes, will they accept emigrants? I might have to relocate there.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

The same thing Obama always does.....nothing

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

True, but Lincoln had convictions. He had something he believed in, and would do what had to be done. owebowma is a sock puppet.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Good for Texas. Makes me wish I was born a Texan within this situation.

I hope more states start this process as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
i will vote for it. if TX were to suceed from the union it would instantly become the 6th largest economy in the world. what it lacks for certain resrouces it could easily trade for. also keep in mind that a large percentage of the US fortune 500 companies are located in tx, and i would imagine tx would make the corporate tax structure even more alluring for other companies to relocate to tx. As for the border it wouldn't surprise me to see the national guard, tanks and all roll down and set up along the border the day after.

now in reality will any state suceed? no, but the message to washington has to be made that states do control their own destiny and not simply another department of the federal government. that is what is great about america, that if i don't like the politics or culture of a state i can move to another state that i am more comfortable in and still be an american. [[[snip]]]
edit on Wed Mar 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
what would the feds do ???

crap their pants !!!

lol

I am curious why the feds would be crapping their pants.
Exactly what threat would Texas pose to the US if it ever actually followed through on its "threat?"

if this does pass, then I will
seriously consider moving to Texas.
I do have extended family there already

best wishes Texas

I am also curious why if you hate America so much you do not leave already.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

More fun with Facts. Racial diversity......not.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51abeb660fac.png[/atsimg]

SOURCE

I'm currently searching for data on tattoo to tooth ratio.
edit on 8-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by whatukno

The people coming across the border now that you say we cannot clamp down on, are fleeing TO the US from a place they do not want to be. Are you suggesting that after seccession, people will be fleeing the hell hole nation of Texas to get into the US?

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
lol
u don't know us boondock boys very well.
every lil critter with 4 legs becomes a target
for dinner

"A varmint on every plate!"

Better get those bumper stickers printed right quick. With a selling point like the promise of crap for food, I may have been all wrong.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
How many signatures would be needed? Actually I find this interesting and since Texas has threatened this in the past, this stunt is serving a couple of purposes. One, to send a message to DC for whatever it is worth and then to see if in fact they would have the support to actually do something like this. I think Texas is somewhat serious about this, I do not think that this is what they want to do, but feel as if it is their only choice if they are to start fixing things and I do not blame them in the least. If they should decide to take this to action, then if the people no longer recognizes the feds authority, then there will not be much that can be done about it. I think Texas had the foresight to make sure their future was their own and made sure the legal documents were in place from the beginning to make sure they could reclaim their state if the need arises.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
First, on topic, I don't think that the Feds would ever let Texas secede from the USA. They should, but they will not.

Then this....

I think it is kind of curious that the people who would want you to believe that they care so much about the welfare of the poor also find it necessary to make jokes about those same people.

As in: missing teeth and lack of education in particular.

Let us remember that the 'rednecks' that some speak of with such disdain, are...

#1: POOR.

#2: an ethnic group.

They are poor because the system has failed them.

Call them stupid, but isn't it the educational system that you should be laughing at?( really you should cry for it)

A truly caring person would reach into their pocket and pay for some dental work for these poor people, not make jokes about their plight.

What is next on the agenda? Dangling food in front of a starving homeless person, then jerking it away and laughing about it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join