It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Personally, I have never had any problems with racism in Texas, but that has only been for short visits,

I get more racism from the dark side than I do from the light side though. ( I am of mixed descent)

My sister lives in Texas (somewhere) and she has never mentioned any racial problems that she has encountered, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't had them.

edit on 8-3-2011 by butcherguy because: added

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by butcherguy

But it certainly wasn't an attack, I even like liberals way too much to attack them, now-a-days, anyway.
I'd sooner attack racists now.

I'm a liberal Texan, born and bred, raised on a big spread between Idalou and Lubbock that I still own growing cotton and onions. My family was as racist as they come as was most of the good Christians that I encountered in a small Baptist church where I attended Sunday school.

I was pretty much run out of Texas, when I got out of the military and brought home a wife with dark skin and broken English.

It's still like that from my observation....the hatred is just not as overt and open!

Just try being a mixed race couple in Texas and see what happens.
edit on 8-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

Exactly my point......

Theocracy AND bigotry..... But you probably could have made it in Austin. Then again Austin is becoming just like the rest of Tx and grabbing the brass ring. California real estate interests owns downtown Austin anymore. That's what happens when Hollywood goes to a "quaint" town to setup shop.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
In Arizona, There is a proposition being introduced for Pima county to succeed from Arizona , and become Baja Arizona .Baja Arizona

I think the whole country is going to eventually break down and we will no longer have the states.
The way things are going, and the way no one can get along, and the in thing to do these days , is if you do not get your way , walk out. I tell ya...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

In Arizona, There is a proposition being introduced for Pima county to succeed from Arizona , and become Baja Arizona .Baja Arizona

Yeah i read about it, wont happen though. I dont think anyways. The project is to " liberal ". I guess Pima doesn't agree with what the state is doing, even though its Constitutionally correct?
edit on 8-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I live in San Antonio, of hispanic descent. I can't count the number of times on a Friday or Saturday that I was pulled over and spreadeagled on the ground while my car was searched... as a suspect fitting the description.

I don't live in a rural area. San Antonio is pretty big place.

Would I want more of that? No - I am one who would say that I would hate to live in a Texas that had no federal backing for equal opportunity. i would hate to live in a place that was pillared by bumper sticker philosophy. As it stands, I find less thinking folk and more people who have preprocessed thinking that regurgitate it on the spot, reeking of Fox News, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck, mixed with a little John Hagee to keep the Bible-thumpers happy.

I would leave, and I would hate it. I love my state, and my home. I spent 24 years trying to get back here, and am willing to tolerate a lot. That, though, is too much.

I will take my liberalism, my weaponry, and relocate if needed. Its hard enough being liberal here without having a nation founded on guns, god, and a reckless disregard for public safety.

Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
what would happen if it passed? could texas then not allow anyone from any other state into texas ? there would be no more federal anything going into texas , could they deal with that? If it passes it
will start a chain reaction that could cause martial law i think

Sure you can go there ! .. you'd have to go through immigration though! ... lolz! with gropping .. southern style ...
show your passport like you're entering another country ..
"We're not saying you can't carry a gun .. we're just saying you can't carry a gun in town ..." .. maybe they'll rename it to Tombstone ..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

Though i understand your argument, but, ( just thinking here ), I think the people in general have " had enough " with the antics of the government, and embrace the idea what the Constitution states. And spear heading the move to removing illegal immigration, and taking care of its own. including its own states economy. They are in the rights of the Constitution. So with those that oppose this idea, are you not for the Constitutionally given rights of the states?

10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think if this gains momentum it could be the beginning to real return to states rights in America.

The US Government has demonstrated in the past 10 years with Georgia and other breakaway republics and most recently with Egypt and the ME that the will of the people must be abided...

They will look really stupid and hypocritical on the world stage to all of the sudden say that we meant that as long as it wasn’t our tax base seceding...lol!

Besides Texas or any other breakaway state would have world support because a weakened Union is in the best interest of many of our enemies.

I wait with baited breath to see if this catches on and would consider, as would many others, moving to a new Republic as the opportunities are always ripe in a new country for business.

Imagine what Texas could do with only half of what the US Collects in Taxation from its citizens? They would be just fine - get rid of all the stupid entitlements for illegals and they'd have even more.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I know I signed the petition in Gonzales, Texas at the Come and take it Rally... While I hope the USA can get things under control, I support Texas returning to a Republic. I have several family members that would have never considered such a thing, would support this.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

If Texas does leave the union Obama, nor Congress, can do anything about it. The Federal Constitution is a contract between the states, which the Federal Government has clearly abused. No one would have the power to force Texas back into the union like Lincoln did during the Civil War.

Forcing someone to agree to something is not how contracts are suppose to work.

More power to Texas.

It's almost as if REPUBLICANS in Texas are angry that the CONTRACT they BARGAINED COLLECTIVELY with the federal government has been violated by the executive. Interesting train of thought, guys.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
WOW reading some of these comments....not much of a union .........if you consider yourself American please educate yourself

pretty sad how quickly others will condemn a part of the union that is trying to fight the same giant elephant in the room that no one else is addressing AT ALL

I'm for the people and behind the people we must ALL stand...........WOW divide and conquer is seeming easier for them by the day

deny ignorance.
edit on 8-3-2011 by all answers exist because: spelling

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
1. It won't happen
2. I'm probably against it. (though if Texas were to allow more civil liberties, I might be convinced)
3. You think dollar currency problems are bad? Wait till you see the Texas currency... (One of the reasons, maybe the largest, Texas joined the union in the first place was monetary)
4. Texas is a VERY diverse place. There's a lot of racism in north texas. Less in Central and South Texas. Cities in Texas tend to be libertarian liberal (as a summation), while the countryside is very neo-con. There's a lot of white supremacists in Dallas. There are mexican gang problems in San Antonio. Houston has some scary african-american slums with violent immigrants from the flooding of New Orleans. There is oil and natural gas industry. There is a thriving tech sector in Austin. Car manufacturing in San Antonio. Lots of higher education schools across the state which while expensive are more affordable than in a lot of America.
5. Texas' economy is diverse so it could feasibly survive on it's own, but it does currently take a LOT of federal funds for a variety of projects.
6. No state income tax... that would probably end if Texas was independent.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by whaaa

Frag that! If Texas Secedes from the Union those homes should be burned to the ground. Can't have homes of Traitors on our sovereign soil. And forget Visas, if Texas leaves the very next day Congress needs to pass a law completely barring entry into the United States under any reason to anyone from Texas.

Uh wouldn't it be better if the homes you want burned down
are given to families in those areas that need a home?

I can see a family :
Dick and Jane and their kids Bob and Susie with their dog Spot and cat MeowMeow.
Dick and Jane had lost their jobs, then threw more tough times lost their home
living out of the astrovan,down by the river. They see a home they could live it but
since it belonged to a Texan they can not have it to live in, and get back on their feet
cause it's going to be burned down? Way to protect the "Union People"

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by whatukno

So…Texans are racist rednecks who can't drive.

Any more of your true colors you wish to share with the class?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

He's obviously an idiot troll.... keep fighting the good fight my friend.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've heard of many states in recent years challenging federal laws or threatening outright secession.

Off the top of my head...

Texas (threatening secession)
California (ignores federal marijuana laws)
Virginia (ignores federal health care, planning to dump dollar for state currency)
Florida (ruled federally-forced health care unconstitutional)
Tennessee (introduced bill re-affirming state sovereignty)
Vermont (strong secessionist movement)
Colorado (ignores federal marijuana laws)
Montana (ignores federal marijuana laws)
Oregon (ignores federal marijuana laws)
Arizona (challenging federal immigration laws)

I'm positive that there are other examples of this growing attitude... even from the states I listed, there are more examples of this attitude.

99.99% of this country, consists of states that could be 100% sovereign and self-governed. They already have the infrastructure to govern themselves from the state level, with few exceptions where some states are more dependent upon federally dished-out money.

The federal district, by comparison, consists of a single city, Washington DC, and some federal buildings scattered throughout the rest of the country.

It should be no question who should have the most say in how we choose to exercise our freedom.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
So if the states suceed from the union will it be better or worse for the american people? Will things be cheaper? Will it be easier to live? If prices would go up and it would be harder to live I would rather stay with the USA.

What does that mean? You mean if prices go up you want the safety net of the federal dole? That's one of the reasons Texas wants out, because too many people are dependent on the State.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

forget that. Think about being free.
Being free is not easy. You have to work for it, you have to struggle for it and yes, either by speech or by arms you have to fight for it and to keep it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by MagoSA

Though i understand your argument, but, ( just thinking here ), I think the people in general have " had enough " with the antics of the government, and embrace the idea what the Constitution states. And spear heading the move to removing illegal immigration, and taking care of its own. including its own states economy. They are in the rights of the Constitution. So with those that oppose this idea, are you not for the Constitutionally given rights of the states?

10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

There was a movement for secession even before the current Occupier in chief, but the hc debacle sure pushed the concept faster than lightning.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yeah, because seceding from the Union was such a good idea the first time around and worked out so well for Texas and the other states that tried it. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and this time I don't think the Texas Air National Guard has a chance against the US Air Force.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

99.99% of this country, consists of states that could be 100% sovereign and self-governed

So true, and the way to make it work, and allow for a positive outcome, are those states that declare national sovereignty, return their state issued currency to the gold standard, and remove the fiat currency. This would give the currency a tangible asset to back the currency up. Credit would no longer be created out of thin air, much like we are seeing in the days of Greenspan and Bernanke.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join