It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

AUSTIN -- The Texas Nationalist Movement will host a rally at the state capitol Saturday urging lawmakers to put the matter of Texas independence before the state's voters in a non-binding plebiscite.

The resolution, drawn up as a concurrent resolution of the Legislature, spells out actions by the federal government which have intruded on the sovereignty of the State of Texas and calls for the plebiscite to be included on the ballot of the next scheduled election for state constitutional amendments. That date is Nov. 8 of this year.

. . .

"The elected representatives of the people of Texas need to know what the voters think," TNM president Daniel Miller said. "That is the purpose of this resolution, simply to give our legislators a sense of what the people of Texas think about the actions they are taking in defense of state sovereignty."

. . .

The resolution spells out that the vote would be "non-binding and for advisory purposes only," and that results would be reported not only to state officials, but also to members of Congress and the President.

Link

Wow.

About time.

The petition to secede was signed by over a million registered voters. Their website, in June 2009, had over 5 million hits.

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

edit on 7-3-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

[Mod edit - replace internal quote tags with external quote tags]
edit on 8/3/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Mar 8 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
if that passes i think more will do this arizona would be next i think
what would the federal goverment do?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So if the states suceed from the union will it be better or worse for the american people? Will things be cheaper? Will it be easier to live? If prices would go up and it would be harder to live I would rather stay with the USA.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If this passes I am moving out of Texas, its already a bit leany towards discrimination.(Not trying to offend anyone here, just from past experiences.)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
what would happen if it passed? could texas then not allow anyone from any other state into texas ? there would be no more federal anything going into texas , could they deal with that? If it passes it
will start a chain reaction that could cause martial law i think

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
and i bet that the dallas cowboys will not be allowed in the nfl anymore

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
As far as I know, the last time states seceded, Lincoln suspended the constitution and we had a thing called the civil war.

just sayin....

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
As far as I know, the last time states seceded, Lincoln suspended the constitution and we had a thing called the civil war.

just sayin....

crazy times we live in lol . what do you think obama would do ?

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

just sayin....

Which Lincoln had absolutely zero right to do.

Just sayin'.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
They're taking their oil and leaving?
That would go a long ways in making them self sufficient....

edit on 7-3-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
that would mean only state tax would be taken out of my paycheck lol
no obama care , and i wonder if you left texas would the federal goverment then deem you a enemy of the state? would a citizen of texas then become a illegal alien to the rest of the united states ?

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This is probably the best thing states can start doing. They're not leaving the states of the union either they are simply reclaiming their sovereignty and trying to end any federal intrusion into they're government and hopefully economic system. This is what every state/American should do is re-claim their sovereignty and eliminate all binding contracts with the federal government and big corporation. It is time people start re-claiming their constitutional rights and learn what its like to live in a truly free country. And a new currency that is at least backed by gold or silver needs to be re-introduced before this entire country collapses.
edit on 7-3-2011 by xSe7eNx because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord

just sayin....

crazy times we live in lol . what do you think obama would do ?

I'm not so sure Obama is doing anything but dancing on the end of strings.

link   
You can't formally secede from a corrupt power who counts the votes.
I have a feeling Texas will figure that out fairly quickly.

+3 more 
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

If Texas does leave the union Obama, nor Congress, can do anything about it. The Federal Constitution is a contract between the states, which the Federal Government has clearly abused. No one would have the power to force Texas back into the union like Lincoln did during the Civil War.

Forcing someone to agree to something is not how contracts are suppose to work.

More power to Texas.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

just sayin....

Which Lincoln had absolutely zero right to do.

Just sayin'.

Depends on how you look at it, as Martial Law is a power given to the president.

But thats a conversation for another thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Good luck!

Secession-ready Texas has received most federal disaster assistance of any state.

Just weeks after declaring that Texas might secede from the union because “the federal government has become oppressive,” Gov. Rick Perry (R) today asked for more federal aid when he “issued a disaster declaration” because of the swine flu. Mother Jones’ Jonathan Stein found that, since the beginning of FEMA’s record-keeping, Texas has actually received more federal assistance from FEMA than any other state:
-4/30/09

This gets a little old every two years.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

just sayin....

I remember what happened when South Carolina tried to secede because of the tariff of Abomination.

You know what Andrew Jackson did?

He said he was going to lower the tariff....

Then he got a bill passed that basically said he could march over their and declare martial law in that state, and control it, if the state challenged federal power.

Now that was a good president.

Guess what South Carolina didn't want to secede any more.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
does texas have everything they need in their state to supply their people ? because washington would stop any trucks from going into texas i know they are big on farms and dairy but is that enough ?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Would be a good idea to read the article. This is a proposal for a NON-BINDING resolution to be used for advisement only. This is not an official secessation in any form -- that would be an act of civil war, to be honest, and would be treated as such.

This is opiate for the masses. However, it should be noted that it came from the same part of Texas that HB 1937 and HB 1938 originated from (Northeast Texas near Tyler). See this thread for more information: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-7-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join