It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would a time machine need to work?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ever sense I read about the John Titor story I have been interested in how a time machine would work. What it would need,the power requirements, John Titor never really mentioned much about the battery in the time machine he used or how the micro singularity drives worked or even the cooling supply. And how could you go back in time without having to go to an alternate universe? That seems like you could end up going to other universes without getting back to your own universe if something goes wrong with the machine.
edit on 6-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
A flux capacitor.

And a Delorean.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
Ever sense I read about the John Titor story I have been interested in how a time machine would work. What it would need,the power requirements, John Titor never really mentioned much about the battery in the time machine he used or how the micro singularity drives worked or even the cooling supply. And how could you go back in time without having to go to an alternate universe? That seems like you could end up going to other universes without getting back to your own universe if something goes wrong with the machine.

All of those specifications depend on the model and type of time machine you are using. If you are using a flux capacitor and a Delorean as your time machine, you'll need 1.21 Gigawatts of energy which can be generated by a nuclear reaction, or from a lighting strike on November 12 1955 10:04PM. You must also be be traveling (not driving, because you don't drive in a time machine, you *travel* in one... which is why you don't need a license lol) at 88mph to initiate the flux capacitor.

edit on 6-3-2011 by RestingInPieces because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would think a flux capacitor would be the best think to get might have to look around for a bit...
I am open to the possibility of time travel however i would put too much into the Titor story i think we are quite aways from even discovering the power source needed to generate the energy to time travel.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I like that movie. But I'm looking for the real time machine.Did anyone experience a 503 server error on A.T.S. tonight?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gmac10001

Well the problem I think is not really the power source for a time machine its getting the part that makes one work is hard for people.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
A clock would be first on the shopping list and then a big hollywood budget

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
ENERGY!
More than we can create!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Your clearly trying to trick someone into telling you how their time machine works......go educate yourself and build your own.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

what would a time machine need to work?

more TIME then MONEY!!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
tachaon particles, they have all ready a quantium bio computer that interfaces with itself in the furture so there playing with everyones furture, part of the 11 th demsion and figured out certain events lead to alination rather than domonation. by trending them now you control the furture. takes that one person to pull there plug out WTG people keep it up!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

The only problem I have with the flux capacitor is they never said how it works just that it does. In the movie the doc always said that the flux capacitor is what makes time travel possible. He never really went in to details about the physics behind the flux capacitor. Just the power supply needed to activate it. That doesn't help with me actually building one.....It does look cool between the seats in the Delorean.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Yes, that was John Titor doing a time-shift, it often causes websites to malfunction.

In all seriousness to the OP

Titor, from what I remember, claimed that he was jumping through time but doing so in alternate or parallel universes. If you do a search you can read up on the many threads about him on ATS. I believe there is one that has centralized all the information.

The latest time travel theory to come out in the science field has to do with quantum mechanics and from what I remember there is a way for the future to interact with the past but it is on a very small scale which does not allow for anything with any mass to be a part of it.

A Google search can help. However, most anything related to actual people travelling through time is at this time complete speculation or science fiction.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
if we knew we would have one working this very moment.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
Your clearly trying to trick someone into telling you how their time machine works......go educate yourself and build your own.

Lol. Well said.
Time machine is a box of tricks one should not dabble in

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... I believe these guys have already thought about that.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by miracleretiree

I'm Just curious on what people have to say and what they know here. I also would like to build a working time machine someday as impossible as it seems.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
A flux capacitor, Plutonium (preferably Libyan), and 1.21 Gigawatts of course.
edit on 6-3-2011 by QuantumDisciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Time travel requires either a functioning Kasmir device or a blackhole ship.

A Kasmir device operates based on creating a specific set of conditions. It is generally thought that such a machine (actually a PAIR of machines) would allow for hyperspace folding/wormhole travel between two points in space. However, if you can creat a unique set of conditions at only one point in space/time, then any replication of those conditions at any point in (future) history will link you to the point in (past) history when those conditions originally existed.

The first Kasmir device that is brought online will immediately begin to recieve data...people from the future will know what the machine was set to in the past (and when it was brought online) so they can connect to it from thier time to ours.

The advantage here is that we only need to build one machine today instead of a pair...the second device can be constructed at any point in the future and then used to transmit data back to the 'present' (based on the settings NOW).

Beyond that, 'conventional' physics believes that super-massive objects can be used similar to how we currently use planets/the sun to provide gravitational acceleration to deep space probes.

...build a strong enough ship and 'bank' it off a black hole...if your math is up to par you will arrive when you wanted to.

Time travel is such a headache it's not funny, but the pain doesn't mean it can't be done.

edit on 6-3-2011 by [davinci] because: Form

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Corbin Dalus

We might have the ability to create the the energy needed for time travel. I heard about an experiment that went wrong due to containment issues. They were trying to create a sun! It worked but the procedure destroyed the interior of the complex and killed several workers and scientists. That would be more than enough juice to activate a time machine!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join