It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would a time machine need to work?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Don't know if this helps, I saw it a while back on youtube, its a snippet from a documentary on the Discovery Channel, its really interesting, and potentially viable???

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
to physically transport yourself to something that doesn't exist anymore is impossible. but i read stephen hawking say it's possible.

but no machine made of metal and wires can manipulate the universe to recreate the past.

i think all physicists have come up with is that light and time are affected by gravity.

and it would be impossible for someone to come from the future since the future hasn't happened yet and no time machine has been invented for someone to come back in.

but since you can project your mind into the future, and you can project your mind into the past, that in a sense is time travelling. your mind is the time machine.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

well randomname about the fact that no machine maid of wires and metal not being able to manipulate the universe; scientists have done things like creating a sun and the inventions of light bulbs which is I guess in a way is manipulating the universe.... Or at least an element of the universe. Time affects a lot of things. Like when someone ages or how many times a planet revolves around a sun. I guess I am into Einsteins idea of time being connected to space or whats known as space time. And your mind is more like a time television.

edit on 6-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
I bought a flux capicator on EBAY but I couldn't get it to work,kept giving me a deloren is too old error message.So I read up on time travel a bit and I tried hooking a duframis to a torquecadusal valve with some 24 guage gabler cables .I then quantum welded the apparatus to the hollow earths suns gravitational field and linked the whole thing to a titanium weldment.Now it seems to work.So now it's forward into the past. See you in the future.
edit on 3/6/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/6/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

Lol. Sp I suppose a nobel prize would be in order. Oder

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

No recognition necessary unless by comedy central.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a group i know actually incidentaly made a time machine when trying to make a ufo, they had traveled 10 miles in 3 seconds, or so they thought, because when they got back their watches were 2 hours behind the actual time and they had thought they had only been gone a couple of minutes wene the clocks said they'd been got for hours.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
Ever sense I read about the John Titor story I have been interested in how a time machine would work. What it would need,the power requirements, John Titor never really mentioned much about the battery in the time machine he used or how the micro singularity drives worked or even the cooling supply. And how could you go back in time without having to go to an alternate universe? That seems like you could end up going to other universes without getting back to your own universe if something goes wrong with the machine.
edit on 6-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

Lulz.......... Just a wand, or a vivid Imagination.

carry on

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Time machines are possible with general relativity, but the only trouble is getting enough negative energy to make them work. This should be possible as well, at least in theory, as negative energy does indeed exist. But in practice the only place to find negative energy that we know of is in between Casimir plates, and it's very difficult to exploit it.

Perhaps if we could develop something in the distant future to beam ones information between a pair of Casimir plates in a special way that might suffice to produce time travel.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Also you'd have an issue with sending stuff back before the time machine was created. The exception to this rule might be with a Kerr singularity, which is the product of a spinning black hole. The idea being that particles with spin already behave like tiny Kerr singularities to begin with, and have been around since the Big Bang. In a Kerr singularity these would cluster up and you'd simply maximize this effect on a large scale. Thus we have a natural inbuilt time machine, that we could use to go back to anywhere with -as they were already around since to beginning.

Remember inside the middle of electrons it's been said that superluminal activity occurs all of the time -so the normal rules of space-time already break down inside subatomic particles.

Then again John Titor's time machine is said to use a fascimile of a Kerr singularity so who knows?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
With all seriousness, if we know that, we would've already had time-machines for sell.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

A brain, really. I mean that literally.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Some people seem to have too much time on their hands.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Time travel for the most part is pointless and useless. Time travel creates alternate realities. If you go back to yesterday you are then in a yesterday in an alternate reality. An alternate reality that was created by you time traveling. You could do anything you wanted to do and it would not change a thing in the time and reality that you left. And you would never be able to get back to the time and reality that you left. Time travel past or future is both a one trip. You could never go to the same time twice. Once you left that would be it. No return trip. Even if you went back to the same time the second trip would be to yet another alternate reality. A time travel machine really has the wrong name. It would be more correct to call it an alternate reality travel machine.

But you ask "What about all the time slips stories?" Well time slips are really in fact reality slips. This may help explain why we are having more and more slips. Each trip by some one trying to time travel would cause yet one more alternate reality to be created. Maybe there is getting to be some many alternate realities that they are starting to over lap and run into one another.

This all goes to explain why we have never see a time traveler from the future and never will. Any one trying to travel in time just ends up getting lost in time. So if any one is plaining on a time travel trip make sure you tell everyone good-bye because once you fire that thing up you will never be seen or heard from again.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Time travel for the most part is pointless and useless.
False. You can use time travel to obtain resorces from the past or you can go to the future to obtain advanced technology assuming we make it to an advanced level of development like a type 4 civilization. We would be able to uncover histories secrets and mysteries that have never been solved. You could visit past relatives or people you have lost in your life.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by fixer1967

Time travel for the most part is pointless and useless.
False. You can use time travel to obtain resorces from the past or you can go to the future to obtain advanced technology assuming we make it to an advanced level of development like a type 4 civilization. We would be able to uncover histories secrets and mysteries that have never been solved. You could visit past relatives or people you have lost in your life.

Anfd just what are you going to do with your resorces? No matter how hard you try you will never get back the timeline you left. You can get back to the date you left but it will be in another timeline where it will be of no use to the the timeline you left. Any tech you get from the future and try to bring back will end up in a timeline other than the one you left. The is the problem with time travel. You can not go back to any time and place you left. Each jump is one way.
Lets say there is a great sickness and you jump ahead to the furture to get a cure for it. And you find that cure. The you jump back but guess what? You have not arrived in the timeline you left. It this ne time line the sickness is either never happen or it is not the same sickness for which you got the cure for. Or it could be any number of such things the point being you have failed and will never see home again.

You could go back in time and kill your great grand father and not a thing would happen to you. You did not kill your great grand father but the great grand father of the person that would have been your double in that timeline.

The only thing a time machine would be good for is hidding from some one or to build your own world as you wanted to. You could go back to the dark ages and become the master of the world or take and go back and become rich on wall street. It would not matter what you did it would mean nothing to the timeline you left.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

If we knew what a time machine needed to work don't you think we would have already built one...Of course Project Pegasus perfected time travel in the early 70's if you believe the stories.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
When I am talking about time travel I am talking about time travel within your own universe. If the parallel universe idea of time travel is the only way to travel through time you would need a device that can somehow contain you in your own universe while traveling through time. But the "laws of nature" might prevent the device from working if the laws of nature applies to time travel paradoxes. A time travel paradox simply means a different or alternate time line created by the intervening of a time traveler.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well you need a Large Hedron Collider and the Higgs-Boson particle, that's why they're trying to find it. When we find that then we will all be going back in time to the Big Bang. ETA: you could always just get a telescope, then you wll see the past.
edit on 29-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

When I am talking about time travel I am talking about time travel within your own universe. If the parallel universe idea of time travel is the only way to travel through time you would need a device that can somehow contain you in your own universe while traveling through time. But the "laws of nature" might prevent the device from working if the laws of nature applies to time travel paradoxes. A time travel paradox simply means a different or alternate time line created by the intervening of a time traveler.

Both scenarios are possible with extremly high degree of risks
as time machine has to deal with infinities and no one knows what happens when you approach and are very close to the infinity threshold

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
lets just travel. Instead of just talking about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join