It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would a time machine need to work?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Time travel is such a headache it's not funny, but the pain doesn't mean it can't be done.

You are speaking from experience obviously...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well its like this,I did some reading on the internet and some things on search dont really help so I like to get advice and opinions from the members of A.T.S. I am kind of new here so forgive me if I seem a little off or not fully "with it" in some of my threads.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If you ignore the technological aspects what it requires to accomplish is more than just travelling through time. Our planet travels through space. If you go back in time for example just 1 second you will suddenly find yourself floating many kilometers in empty space. Our galaxy is moving at the speed of X, our solar system is moving in the galaxy at the speed of X and we go around the sun at the speed of X. If you take that into account you would need some form of anchoring or it would be a very dangerous thing to do.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Apparently Titor had some kind of Time-Lock™ to prevent him from winding up on the other side of the Universe.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yeah exactly the anchoring I mentioned. How would that work anyway. I can't really imagine anything.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Forgive me, it sounded as though you were speaking of these things as facts.

If that is the case than just ignore me, if not, it is better to always add: Supposedly, according to, hypothetically... etc, in front of what you say.

I am full of sarcasm, don't let me interrupt.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Probably the same way a 1960's Chevy gets converted into a time-ship

I really don't know, if you are travelling through alternate realities than it is a whole new bag of worms too. But I suppose you have a starting point and an end point so wherever space is being ripped apart that hole would remain in the same place. Titor's claim had all to do with gravity so I think the idea is that the gravity would have something to do with the placement of his vessel, erm Chevy.

Whoever came up with his story should've wrote a science fiction piece instead. Whether it was him from dimension X or just a creative teenager with too much time on his hands.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Yeah gravity is what keeps us here and keeps everything intact. However wheter gravity extends to time is a whole another matter.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Yeah gravity is what keeps us here and keeps everything intact. However wheter gravity extends to time is a whole another matter.

I have no idea, but people from the future seem to think so.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Unobtainium.

And at least a moment of suspension of disbelief.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
well, there is a guy on ATS who bought a "time machine" few months ago and tested it out...he might have lost in time by now
. That piece of tech involve some homemade magnetic and crystals.....you heard me...CRYSTAL.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

John Titor had an on board gravity detection system that kept the time machine bound to the earth while it was in operation. This prevented the machine from ending up "15 miles away and 3,000 feet in the air" as john said the prototype did in 2034.this was a system of sensitive clocks and gravity censors.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Even if it would detect gravity to precision what is there to stop it from moving within the same gravity? It could then come out in the middle of a volcano or in the ocean.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Time travel was explained to me thusly, if you go back in time, you are stuck there, say 1232, in 1232, 2011 has not happened yet, therefore you cannot travel forward, so you will be stuck in 1232, you cannot travel forward in time from 2011, as all future dates have not happened yet, so you cannot travel to somewhere that is not in existence yet.
Makes sense to me, but then I am from the past!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

I went to the future once, I was drinking whiskey and suddenly woke up 12 hours into the future. I know it happened for real though because I had a headache from the time-flux effect. And also vertigo from the gravitron residuals....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by pikestaff

I went to the future once, I was drinking whiskey and suddenly woke up 12 hours into the future. I know it happened for real though because I had a headache from the time-flux effect. And also vertigo from the gravitron residuals....

Haha

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
couple of real good sources on the internet that are along the same as John Titor:
1. Al Beileik's CD has the interviews, the places that they time travelled and how the Delta-T antenna works..
Al Beilek - get the CD or download via other means

2. Steven Gibbs. He has travelled 1000s of times. He will send you the HyperDimensional Resonator and how to make it yourself. I ordered it. Just haven't had time to work on it yet.

good luck.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Since time and space are connected, to move thru time you would also have to move thru space.

To accomplish time travel, you would have to move the earth and all objects in the universe backward or forward to their respective place in space as you time travel.

The power required to move everything in the universe backward or foward in space is greater than the power of the big bang. An impossible task for mankind.

If all objects in space were static, instead of moving, it may be a different story.

edit on 3/6/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
Ever sense I read about the John Titor story I have been interested in how a time machine would work. What it would need,the power requirements, John Titor never really mentioned much about the battery in the time machine he used or how the micro singularity drives worked or even the cooling supply. And how could you go back in time without having to go to an alternate universe? That seems like you could end up going to other universes without getting back to your own universe if something goes wrong with the machine.
edit on 6-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

Since time is an effect dependent upon our physical universe then our ability to change one or more of the time "factors" will have a direct effect on time. For instance, visualize a cube in space. It has length, width and height (in this case all three are equal). Those qualities cannot be described without expressing them in some measure of lineal units. When we do this we realize that to visualize moving from the beginning of a line to the end of that line requires velocity. This, in turn, means there is a delay (in time) which is a product of that dimension. So dimensional things require a time element or they cannot exist.

Traveling through time then requires the changing of all the physical properties of the object. The way I like to describe this being done is by varying the density of the object. This changes the physical characteristics. If we make the object less dense then it becomes larger and if it becomes more dense it becomes smaller. If velocity remains constant then a larger object requires/produces more time than a smaller to describe. So time is directly proportional to density. Example: Sound travels faster in higher density mediums than it does in lower.

Now for a more practical application. Most of us are familiar with black holes. In these matter is compressed. A given mass is made smaller therefore it produces/requires less time to describe. If a given mass is compressed to infinity that simply means that the formula is broken because infinite smallness requires infinite shortness of time or "no time at all".

Apply this, now, to the physical earth and the spirit world that most of us believe exists. The spiritual counterpart to the physical earth is much, much less dense material but it is still physical therefore the rule remains valid. The much less dense spirit world requires/produces much more time for describing an object, the correspondence of which, is in the usual physical world. How much more time? This depends upon the ratio between the two. Let us say, for illustration, that the ratio is 1,000 to 1. Now the less dense earth requires/produces 1,000 of the time units needed by the normal earth. This means that 1,000 years in spirit is the same as 1 year in the physical.

That's all there is to it really, this is the way that time travel has always been accomplished by our alien friends who zip across our galaxy in just a few moments if they wish. All we have to is to discover how to change the density of things. This means we must change our own density too of course.

OK now visualize a few of us in a spaceship zooming along at a certain speed. We change the density of the ship and everyone in it by a factor of 100,000 and what happens is that to a stationary observer we have vanished but to us there seems no change. We have, however, greatly spread out our physical particles and are less dense. We retain all of our vitality but are "more spread out". In this state the time difference amounts to a changing ratio between the two states wherein the new state is a greater, much greater, value. If the value of the new state is, say, the same as the distance to the nearest star then we effectually can travel to that star in the same length of time as has passed in the original density. We find that, for instance, if that original time was two seconds we can travel to the nearest star in the same two seconds. This is time travel. It is factual. Astronauts are slightly younger when they return than they would have been had they stayed on earth.

Time travel is possible by varying the density of the traveler. Well I've always said that we should not waste time with really dense people.

Final note: The extreme of compression as in a black hole approaches a state wherein time is so short that it is practically non-existent. This is the definition of "infinity". Infinity is a state of existence wherein there is no progression on time at all. The extreme of expansion is just the opposite. If an object is spread so thin (less dense) that is is nearly non-physical it is then in such a high state of being that the aforementioned ratio approaches infinity. Thus we hear of God, "I am" and that statement simply infers that God, as considered from earth, is timeless. It is interesting to note that at both ends of the spectrum of density are the two extremes of time. Infinitely short or infinitely long.

It's true but how to make a time machine I can't imagine.
edit on 6-3-2011 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
A flux capacitor.

And a Delorean.

What about plutonium from the Libyans...I think that is why the US is causing problems there...they need Doc Brown back!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join