It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New findings in Azores, new evidence of Atlantis?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowfoot
What do you in all of your self absorbed brilliance know of anyone's background? Perhaps I did not fully espouse my meaning in the best possible light...my supposition was that one should not jump to conclusions in these things including our systems of dating and our immediate acceptance of the established timeline.

You said:

modern academia is always hesitant if not downright opposed to propose anything being older then our current historical model.

That is simply not the case.

Suppose all you want. When you tread too close to saying that academia is stifiling the advancement of knowledge, that's when you'll hear from me.

Well, then and when (or if) your suppositions turn into bogus statements of fact.

Look, if the "ruins" at the Azores turn out to be way old, "academia" will be delighted, not stifling.

Harte

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

First of all it was Solon was the first to be told the Story of Atlantis by Egyptian priests when Solon visited Egypt, then passed on to Plato to write down.
Yes the 9-10k years ago is the most commonly agreed time when Atlantis existed but what most people don't know or wont believe (or recognize) is that Plato or whoever translated from ancient Egyptian in to Greek got the numbers wrong or misinterpreted some numbers by one decimal point in ancient Egyptian. Now if you account for the new time line its 900 hundred to 1000 years ago instead of 9000-10000 years ago which makes more sense if you really think about it.
The only mention of Atlantis is in Plato's dialogues The Timaeus and the The Critias, and its not a bed time story or a metaphor, its a story about what happens when you abuse gifts you are given by God and its trying to tell you not to make the same mistake or civilization will be destroyed.
Atlantis was and is a real place, it was destroyed a couple thousand years ago and my proof is this book called "The Destruction of Atlantis" by Frank Joseph check it out and see for yourself.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I'm sorry I was mistaken, according to Solon Atlantis was supposedly destroyed 9-10k years before his time but if we use the new calculations of the time line by moving one decimal point. It would be 900 to 1000 after Solon's time and that is the correct date for the destruction of Atlantis and it was said, I don't have scientific proof, the Atlantean Empire ruled anywhere between 50 to 250 thousand years before that, pretty much since humans have been on this planet, maybe longer.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
No, the similarities aren't that great. The Sumerians were off the world scene by then (replaced by the Assyrians, who weren't much admired) and the Hebrews had not yet put the Torah together into the "old Testament" at the time of Socrates. Socrates' tale is very explicit about dimensions and structure. Folks often try to explain changes to an area to justify it being Atlantis (and conveniently ignoring Socrates' statement that it is still a vast swampy mudflat somewhere in the ocean.)

You can tell when myths are derived from another one because of some strong points of similarity (in this case, warning from heaven, a religiously-relevant number of days involved, survival of the only good family (everyone else is horrible and wicked), bringing pairs of animals aboard a large boat, earth submerged for a religiously significant timeframe).

The reason I suggested this was because the stories of Genesis and Atlantis both came from Egypt, if the Sumerian tales had passed on to Egypt then is it at all possible that both are differing accounts of the Sumerian stories? There are similarities such as vegetarianism, a Utopian society, sins and floods aren't there? I admit I dont know an awful lot about Atlantis

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
The reason I suggested this was because the stories of Genesis and Atlantis both came from Egypt,

How did either story come from Egypt?

Harte

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
A shame an interesting archaeological discovery has to be overshadowed by the 1534th identical thread about Atlantis and archaeological cover-ups.

Isn't anyone else interested that we have evidence that the Romans, or their contemporaries, colonised the Azores, way out in the Atlantic, long before it was thought anyone reached the islands?

Of course, if this is evidence of Atlantis then it means Plato was predicting future events

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
A shame an interesting archaeological discovery has to be overshadowed by the 1534th identical thread about Atlantis and archaeological cover-ups.

Isn't anyone else interested that we have evidence that the Romans, or their contemporaries, colonised the Azores, way out in the Atlantic, long before it was thought anyone reached the islands?

Of course, if this is evidence of Atlantis then it means Plato was predicting future events

There are no historical records of the Romans invading or conquering Azores. There are no such things as archaeological coverups (and there's not a single shred of evidence that suggests otherwise), just disinformation by wackos living in their mother's basement on ATS that make stuff up in their heads. Or von Daniken, who's a pathetic excuse for a human being... a disgrace to science and history, and a pitiful creature.

Originally posted by DemonSpeedN

Yes the 9-10k years ago is the most commonly agreed time when Atlantis existed but what most people don't know or wont believe (or recognize) is that Plato or whoever translated from ancient Egyptian in to Greek got the numbers wrong or misinterpreted some numbers by one decimal point in ancient Egyptian. Now if you account for the new time line its 900 hundred to 1000 years ago instead of 9000-10000 years ago which makes more sense if you really think about it.
Atlantis was and is a real place, it was destroyed a couple thousand years ago and my proof is this book called "The Destruction of Atlantis" by Frank Joseph check it out and see for yourself.

Is there any evidence that suggests there was a mistake in the numbers? If there were, Plato would have been writing about a future civilization. Your logic doesn't make sense. You shouldn't base all your logic on one book. You sound like a zealot.

I'm sorry I was mistaken, according to Solon Atlantis was supposedly destroyed 9-10k years before his time but if we use the new calculations of the time line by moving one decimal point. It would be 900 to 1000 after Solon's time and that is the correct date for the destruction of Atlantis and it was said, I don't have scientific proof, the Atlantean Empire ruled anywhere between 50 to 250 thousand years before that, pretty much since humans have been on this planet, maybe longer.

If you don't have scientific proof, then why mention it? I could easily tell everyone I know that I have a tlking cat. But if I can't prove it, what's the point?

You can't just go around saying, "Uh I think Atlantis was around for like 250,000 years possibly." Proof? That would certainly rewrite history, especially of our evolution. "Yeah well I don't have any proof... I just think that because I don't have a solid understanding of anthropology or archaeology."

The reason I suggested this was because the stories of Genesis and Atlantis both came from Egypt...

Evidence?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If you use google maps you can find this under water south of the azores
www.nextnature.net...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Really, would mention that the measurements used to construct the pyramids were not known to us until the Middle Ages andregarding the temple at Balbek, if you wish to move slabs of the size not only moved by the ancients there from their quarries, then go on to lift them up in the air in order to place at the level you wish, not forgetting their weight of from 80+ tonnage, try getting a crane to day to do it with. I forgot to mention the length of some of these slabs but won't worry you with that.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have made a link in google maps so you can see for yourself.
MAP

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

I am indeed interested in that. Although it's undoubtedly not Atlantis (both in archaeological logic as well as the description of it).

The Baalbek stones aren't impossible to move with primitive technology. You assume our ancestors were idiots and lazy. Thats so ignorant i'm not even sure how people like you function in society. The quarry was only a mile away. That really isn't that far. The pyramids of Egypt... their quarry was only 300m away. I can sprint that without barely being out of breath.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

The reason I suggested this was because the stories of Genesis and Atlantis both came from Egypt,

Harte

I might be completely wrong but didn't the story of Atlantis come from Egypt via Solon and Moses was supposedly brought up in Egypt so its not a big step to assume that he learnt all his stories from there too?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'd pay good money to see you sprint along a quarter of a mile carrying a 1,000 ton slab measuring 21.5m x 4.8m x 4.2m. By the way its not on the level its uphill.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
the portuguese articles do not shed much light other than what was discussed here, it's still too early to say what is what, i see speculation is running wild on both ends.

it's still too early to tell if these are graves or cereal storage silos, the dates are merelly speculation.

any link to atlantean culture is a big big stretch.

plus word of mouth around here(portugal) says that the structures shaped in the rocks have been known for long and already documented, this is just a personal attempt by the archeologist to get some promotion and more government fundings.

but on the atlantis front, and beyond the plato myth, it's pretty normal if we find remains and traces of atlantis anywhere, it was a worldwide culture and not just one place one island.

same way 5k years from now people will be baffled by this long gone culture called the western world, they once ruled the world and assumed they were oh so smart, but they really had no clue.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101

I'd pay good money to see you sprint along a quarter of a mile carrying a 1,000 ton slab measuring 21.5m x 4.8m x 4.2m. By the way its not on the level its uphill.

Never said I could do it with a rock on my back. I was merely illustrating the short distance. Apparently I'm not a good artist.

It's still not impossible. Just because you can't do it or understand how they did it, doesn't mean they didn't do it. I don't understand how Bob Ross created immaculate trees with one brush stroke, and I can't do it. But it's clear that he understands how to and can do it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
Really, would mention that the measurements used to construct the pyramids were not known to us until the Middle Ages andregarding the temple at Balbek, if you wish to move slabs of the size not only moved by the ancients there from their quarries, then go on to lift them up in the air in order to place at the level you wish, not forgetting their weight of from 80+ tonnage, try getting a crane to day to do it with. I forgot to mention the length of some of these slabs but won't worry you with that.

All the technology to build the Great Pyramid was available not only to Europeans before the Middle Ages, but to the ancient Egyptians as well.

And not a single large stone had to be lifted at Baalbek.

Harte

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Harte

I might be completely wrong but didn't the story of Atlantis come from Egypt via Solon and Moses was supposedly brought up in Egypt so its not a big step to assume that he learnt all his stories from there too?

I see what you're saying now, but I (of course) completely disagree.

First, Atlantis never existed and there is no mythos - no cultural belief, not even a weird story, in any known Egyptian setting concerning anything that resembles Atlantis in the least.

The same is true for all other cultures - including the Greeks.

Also, there is no evidence (other than the Bible) for Moses' existence. At the time Moses was in Egypt (assuming he was,) if the people he led out were actually Hebrews, then the story of the Garden of Eden, Abraham, the Flood, etc. were already known.

Harte

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I said that because 1 I read it in a book and I cant remember which one, and 2 I don't have the proof because I wasn't the one that originally came up with the idea or theory.
And another thing just because you don't have scientific proof doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are things in this existence you cant explain scientifically, and there are things you cant explain spiritually. People that think if you don't have scientific proof to say what is real and whats not are just deluding themselves.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I always come back to the thought that man had the same brain we have today and with that brain, no-way would man merely stagnate for 70 thousand years with his mental ability and curiosity. That is what we are saying if we accept that the first societies only go back to the Sumerians and a handfull of other places such as Dwarka and those in Turkey etc and don't investigate myths etc aren't we doing ourselves a grave disservice.

The Azores are a site that does seem to warrant investigation because of their logistic situation. They also would have had a turbulent past because not only do they sit on an active tectonic plates but we also know we have had, due to the melting at the end of the last Ice Age a terrific rise in sea levels which, would certainly have engulfed a lot of land and would fit with what we have been told about Atlantis in that it slipped into the sea.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I said that because 1 I read it in a book and I cant remember which one, and 2 I don't have the proof because I wasn't the one that originally came up with the idea or theory.
And another thing just because you don't have scientific proof doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are things in this existence you cant explain scientifically, and there are things you cant explain spiritually. People that think if you don't have scientific proof to say what is real and whats not are just deluding themselves.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join