It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by Hongkongphooey

I have to clarify one of your horrible generalizations of Americans. We do not all eat fast food. In this household, every meal is made from scratch. We do not eat fast food. EVER!!!
So, could you please refrain from lumping us all in one group. I have to ask, are all Asians the same? Do they all eat the same thing? No?
Imagine that.

Sorry to bruise your ego, of course not all Americans eat fast food, but the vast majority do! I am glad that you are not amongst the brainwashed who don't have time to prepare a wholesome meal or consider a trip to a fast food chain a treat, but you yourself have to admit that most Americans (overwhelmingly & Brits now too) do consume large amounts of junk. I used too as well, until I woke up!

With regard to Asians, you are quite wrong as I know that ALL Asians eat rice! From India to Japan and everywhere in between, it may be flavoured differently but rice is rice! Although it is much healthier generally than the 'Genetically Modified' rice you find in America. That has been proven by Asians who have never been fat, who move to the US, still eat the same diet yet amazingly pile on the pounds and don't know why? Food is genetically modified to make people fat unfortunately.

I was trying to inject some humour and realism into the thread and I am sorry to see that what has happened to food and beverages in America is spreading across the world. To go to the cinema these days and see the kiosk operators only serve giant buckets of high fructose or aspartame flavored sodas and with a straw and huge family size buckets of popcorn and always the same excuse 'sorry we don't have any small size, only one size available'! Human bodies were never designed for these quantities of excess and it makes me want to cry for my son who is growing up in this 'corporate' world of endless sugar, poison and gm crap.

Which country invented the terms supersize, upsale, and bottomless? Let me think?

Don't get me wrong, I honestly respect you and wish the majority of Americans were more like you, the fact is that you are an exception and hopefully you can persuade others to think about themselves and their lifestyles. I have to say that Kevin Trudeau has done more for Americans, than the FDA, AMA or US Government has ever done in terms of waking up people to the reality of their health.
edit on 8/3/11 by Hongkongphooey because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the explaination, but your still guilty of overgeneralizing "most americans"
I suggest next time you feel like bashing Americans, perhaps you should re-read your signature.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It is expensive to travel no matter what country you live in, Ive been to Canada, America, Belgium, Spain and Holland, the flights to Canada and America were the most expensive for me, in the last five years ive been to America three times ( I stayed for 3 months on the first trip ) but i cant see me getting back over there anytime soon as i really cant afford it these days

In America I found the general cost of living quite low in comparison to here.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Thanks for the explaination, but your still guilty of overgeneralizing "most americans"
I suggest next time you feel like bashing Americans, perhaps you should re-read your signature.

I am not bashing all Americans, actually I do speak from much experience so my signature is quite valid. Look, if you didn't notice I also bashed my fellow Brits for much of the same fast food culture they have adopted, the difference is most Brits will admit the truth and yet they do tend to travel, I just wish they would also look to visit (the majority) vastly different cultures instead of the usual Spanish, North American and Australian holidays were they can get a very similar culture to home only 10 + hours flight time, exception being Spain which is just two hours of flight.

If you read my first post you would see that I encourage as many Americans to travel and see other cultures and harbour no ill will to anyone. There is so much more to the world than our own cultures and you cannot experience another culture in a local restaurant, even if the food is organic

Please do not take offence at my words, I understand the defence of your country and eating habits but sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes, I don't like to hear others running down the UK but many times I agree if its the truth! The british and Americans have so much in common and there is lots of 'ribbing' between our peoples, try to take it in the manner intended!

Unfortunately the British do like to bait the Americans and you guys fall for it everytime and always go on the attack with the same old arguments about how you saved us in WW2 (ala John Wayne) how English have bad teeth (I think you find due to the population size many more Americans suffer from that and cannot afford to do anything about it) and how you beat the crap out of us in your war of independence.

Most Brit's don't learn much about that war in schools as its only a short chapter in our long history, so it perplexes us a bit when its often brought up.

Someone stated that they cannot understand why Americans who have one of the highest standard of living cannot afford to travel, perhaps if they spent less money on unneccessary dental work, cosmetic surgery and gas guzzling vehicles, they would find the funds to travel, just a thought? Not intended as an attack as everyone has the right to live their lives as they see fit, it just irks Europeans that Americans usually have opinions on so many places they have never visited, actually many Brits do that too come to think of it! Sorry if I generalise but you must understand that it is impossible to know everyone in this world and unfortunately Americans do create the impressions that people from over countries see!

For an understanding of how others see Americans, try watching the movies "Borat" & "Bruno" starring Sascha Baron Cohen as it shows Americans (not all) at their finest
Peace

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Standard of Living

Dimensions and calculation

Starting with the 2010 report the HDI combines three dimensions:

* A long and healthy life: Life expectancy at birth
* Access to knowledge: Mean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
* A decent standard of living: GNI per capita (PPP US$)

The 2010 report is also the first to calculate an Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index, which factors in inequalities in the three basic dimensions of human development (income, life expectancy, and education). Below is the list of the "Very High Development" countries under this index

1. Norway 0.876 ()
2. Australia 0.864 ()
3. Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
4. Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
5. Germany 0.814 ( 5)
6. Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
7. Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
8. Canada 0.812 ()
9. Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
10. Denmark 0.810 ( 9)

US doesnt even make it to the top 10 countries

The 2010 report by UNDP was released on November 4, 2010, and calculates HDIs based on estimates for 2010. Below is the list of the "Very High Development" countries

1. Norway 0.938 ()
2. Australia 0.937 ()
3. New Zealand 0.907 ( 17)
4. United States 0.902 ( 9)
5. Ireland 0.895 ()
6. Liechtenstein 0.891 ( 13)
7. Netherlands 0.890 ( 1)
8. Canada 0.888 ( 4)
9. Sweden 0.885 ( 2)
10. Germany 0.885 ( 12)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Glad Ireland made it into the top ten
will be interesting to see how they fare in a few years time tho, the country is screwed at the minute
like most places i suppose.

Norway looks good lol

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

This is sort of a horrible thing to say; but why is inequality necessarily a bad thing? For instance, with longevity, I don't think the countries which routinely produce the "world's oldest so-and-so" are countries where most citizens live to a similar age. I'm thinking of Georgia and Kyrghyz for example. More developed nations rarely produce the longevity of places like that, although the average life expectancy is probably higher in the developed world.

Would you rather have a few "star athletes" or a great deal of conformity."

Of course I'm thinking of the USA, which is constantly disparaged for its income inequality. It seems like that inequality is attacked, in part, to take the focus off the fact that US average household income is higher than nations with less disparity (Germany, by about $2000 per year per household); and sometimes significantly so. (France has an average household income ~ $10,000 lower than the USA).

One of the problems is the urge to assign a number or rank to individual countries, when each is unique, and desirable for different reasons. Brasil has one of the highest crime rates (much more so than US), but also has Carneval---worth it, in the eyes of those who want to party.

Likewise, people who admire Parisian culture and society would instantly choose it over an additional $10,000 in the united states.

I really question the idea that equality in every ranking (longevity, income, etc.) is automatically a desired goal. Your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
reply to post by Ellen15

This is sort of a horrible thing to say; but why is inequality necessarily a bad thing?
I really question the idea that equality in every ranking (longevity, income, etc.) is automatically a desired goal. Your thoughts?

If you were one of the lower income people, you wouldn't even ask that question! For financial
reasons, higher-income people need and want inequality, and for psychological reasons lower middle class people even more so... (After all, if you're slipping or think you are, you desperately need to be able to feel you're better than others! Or at least, better off..)
Here in New Zealand as we become more economically and culturally Amerucan, inequality is growing. by leaps and bounds. I'd far rather live in an harmonious country where everyone makes around $50-60 000 a year than one where 2% of people make half a million on up to multi-millions, 10% make between $100 000-150 000 5% make $60-80 000 and the remaining 83% have a median income of $10-25 000, such as I believe is the case in the USA, and is becoming the case here.
Vicky
The USA considers itself a developed nation, but it's seriously slipping back..

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32
I'd far rather live in an harmonious country where everyone makes around $50-60 000 a year than one where 2% of people make half a million on up to multi-millions, 10% make between $100 000-150 000 5% make $60-80 000 and the remaining 83% have a median income of $10-25 000, such as I believe is the case in the USA, and is becoming the case here.
Vicky
The USA considers itself a developed nation, but it's seriously slipping back..

I've actually been reading up on this. The percentage of US people living below the "poverty threshold" is 14%. In France it is about 13%. So in those terms, we have about the same rate of poverty as France does.

The difference is, our level is set about $5000 dollars HIGHER than France's. See, in the US, you are considered poor by comparison to your neighbors. And you'd have about the same chances as the average French family of being in the "poor" category.

The main difference is, you'd make about 25% more income, and be about 10% more likely to own a home if you were American.

(I read on wikipedia under the articles (home ownership by country, poverty by country, etc.).

The main difference I could find is that in the US, there is a far higher rate of variance over lifetime. In other words, most of the people in America who are rich did not inherit their money---they became rich on their own, and are first generation rich, as opposed to inheriting it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I can give you a specific example where income inequality has served America well.

The British influence on American rock music is a well-known phenomenon. Some of the best selling rock and rool acts were English bands who played here. Most of them did this because the UK confiscated "excess wealth" (top tax bracket at 95%) generated by British subjects living at home. So a lot of them, like Mick Jagger and John Lennon, moved to the United States on a long-term basis for tax reasons (the Beatles song "Taxman" alludes to this.)

It is not that Americans are any more creative than other people, or have good taste in music. Rather, the producers of good music moved to where they could keep the most of their profits; that is they moved to a place where they could experience income inequality.

Did the presence of Jagger and Lennon make average Americans poorer? No, of course not. It simply added to the overall financial and cultural wealth (and inequality) of the United States. Removing the millionaire rock stars from the UK probably helped UK be more equitable, if poorer in both talent and money.

The question is not whose money do we need to confiscate to fairly divide the pie. The question is, how to we make a bigger pie for everybody. You may not get the biggest slice, but it's still a bigger slice than you'd have gotten anyplace else.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

It is not that Americans are any more creative than other people.

In fact, Americans are rather less creative than other people from what I have seen. It's typical and usual for American studios, publishers etc to use stories written by others (sometimes wholesale and without acknowledgement), to 'adapt' successful European and Asian films and TV shows making the (usually vastly inferior) American version.
As for music... you glory in taking people like John Lennon, but IMO have never produced anyone of equal stature since the 1960s. The last really good song-writers/performers you had were Bobby Darin and Carole King!
I haven't a clue why this is - maybe it's simply that the USA is more accustomed to buying whatever it wants, and applies this to art?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

It is not that Americans are any more creative than other people.

In fact, Americans are rather less creative than other people from what I have seen. It's typical and usual for American studios, publishers etc to use stories written by others (sometimes wholesale and without acknowledgement), to 'adapt' successful European and Asian films and TV shows making the (usually vastly inferior) American version.
As for music... you glory in taking people like John Lennon, but IMO have never produced anyone of equal stature since the 1960s. The last really good song-writers/performers you had were Bobby Darin and Carole King!
I haven't a clue why this is - maybe it's simply that the USA is more accustomed to buying whatever it wants, and applies this to art?

No, that's an entertainment industry dominated by bean counters and reluctant to take chances. There is plenty of creativity out there...it is stifled by business.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ReRun

You have nothing we don't have

History...

You've done nothing we haven't done better

Healthcare
English Language - it's aluminium....
Bacon sandwiches...

just saying...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Of course you are right, and I am filled with shame when I compare the paltry output of my country's philistines with that of the cultural axis of the world, New Zealand.

Which explains why most of the real artists stay down there, instead of coming up here where there is no real market and no incentive for excellence.

I concede your point.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Of course you are right, and I am filled with shame when I compare the paltry output of my country's philistines with that of the cultural axis of the world, New Zealand.

Which explains why most of the real artists stay down there, instead of coming up here where there is no real market and no incentive for excellence.

I concede your point.

Brooke Fraser (who records in the USA)
Elemenop
Scribe/Akon
Anika Moa (also has recorded in the USA)
Hayley Westenra
The Datsuns
Nesian Mystik
and actors
Martin Henderson
Lucy Lawless (lives in the USA, married an American = Xena Warrior Princess, D'eanna in BSG)
Temuera Morrison
Cliff Curtis
Rachel Hunter (lives in the USA)
and for good measure, Sir Ernest Rutherford, split the atom, lived in the UK, born in NZ...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I concede your point.

Elemenop
Scribe/Akon
Hayley Westenra
The Datsuns
Nesian Mystik
and actors
Martin Henderson
Lucy Lawless (lives in the USA, married an American = Xena Warrior Princess, D'eanna in BSG)
Temuera Morrison
Cliff Curtis
and for good measure, Sir Ernest Rutherford, split the atom, lived in the UK, born in NZ...

I thought Ernest Walton and John Cockroft were the first to split the atom, I learn something new every day.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Wow... I'm afraid reading 23 pages of posts is a bit much! I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.. sorry if it's been said! I'm thinking probably no, though.

The USA has been under serious attack by the NWO bunch (aka neo-zionists aka illuminati and flunkies aka ex-high priests of Israel as well as a lot of other names over time) since the turn of the century when they managed to get mandatory yearly taxes legislated (although it was never ratified) and created the IRS and the Federal Reserve (which is a privately owned biz, not any part of the US government), and it's been going on every since.

The plan/agenda was to gain control of the USA to complete their plan for world domination aka enslavement of humanity. We are the last bastion of freedom holding out against them, and even with all their propaganda and mall/college shootings and so on, we Americans AREN'T giving up our guns so they can freely push thru the rest of their plans.

As noted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy) after WWII "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Any group with the intention of taking over America knows they'd have to contend with this very thing.. it would get very messy and short of bringing in off shore troops (ever wonder why our NATIONAL guard is now off serving elsewhere in the world???), there wouldn't be any guarantee of success. There is a good reason the various militia are spring up everywhere. Like the saying goes: I love America, it's the government I don't trust.

So anyway, the plan is to weaken us in as many ways as possible. One was to destroy us financially. We all can see how well that coming along! Much of the lending problems leading to bank failures were actually sabotage done by the NWO bunch (many of whom are the Uber rich of the world) who are being controlled from the shadows by the Illuminati and their flunkies. And they're the ones behind most of the policies that give our money to everyone but America and her needy. They are trying to break the middle class. Their world order model has only the uber rich and the impoverished. Remember the dark ages?? That was their doing and for them that was the ideal world.

Then they want to weaken us physically. Part of why health care costs have been totally spiraling upward out of control. And with the help of their lapdog Big Pharma, they're also trying to create a biddable, sickly, drug dependent and CONTROLLABLE population by poisoning us with GMOs & fast food devoid of actual nutrition, as well as the chemtrails spewing crap in our airs as if cars weren't enough and then taking away our access to natural healing modalities, just to touch the tip of that iceburg...

Next they knew they would have to destroy the values and culture that made America the powerhouse it was. The media has been the main force they've used to brainwash us. TV, movies, music, basically talking heads mesmerizing us and telling us what to believe---It essentially made us either lazier as we stiffle our creativity, sitting there like lumps watching TV; or it makes us meaner and more likely to be criminals cuz we see all the 'good life' things we can't have.

They knew they also had to destroy the effectiveness of our educational system, the biggest part of which was to take away the school's right to punish out of control students and then lowering the standards of learning so as to 'leave no child behind' aka everyone ends up being as stupid as the child that SHOULD have been left behind...

The media has further weakened us morally by showing the criminal 'gangsta' type role model as being the new 'ideal' for how to act and to get what you want. It tells our vulnerable youth that what you need to succeed is to be as cold as a snake, abusive, use hard violence to solve your problems, do drugs, use others unless they are in your 'family', and blame 'whitey' aka the more morally upstanding and hard working middle class for your problems which justifies you going out and robbing and/or even killing them. And more importantly it teaches them that you're a loser if you value education, and are willing to work for what you want. Overall it is quite a vicious and culturally destructive role model.

Oh there is more, but I think I've said enough for now... The attacks have been severe and most of us don't even realize we're being attacked, sadly. They spent a lot of time and money managing what we know, for sure, so I can't really blame people for not seeing what really is obvious.. you know, like how the rest of the world can pretty much see that 911 was an inside job, but we Americans just can't seem to, despite the obvious and glaring discrepancies, like the steel protruding from the rubble cut by what clearly was a shaped charge, the perfect drop of the buildings into their own footprints (heck, I've seen deliberate demolitions come off less cleanly that those) etc.

So basically what you non-Americans are seeing is the results of all that brainwashing and destruction of America's previous standards and values. And even still, the NWO bunch don't dare take off their gloves and reveal who they are and what they are doing because there are still way too many Americans who don't fit that 'profile' (much to their frustration) and who, if pushed, would find some way to take down these NWO yahoos, and take them down hard. And they know it.

edit on 11-3-2011 by DragonriderGal because: spelling

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
reply to post by ReRun

You have nothing we don't have

History...

You've done nothing we haven't done better

Healthcare
English Language - it's aluminium....
Bacon sandwiches...

just saying...

Reminds me of a saying... Americans think 100 years is old; Europeans think 100 miles is far.
It is all in perspective

And really I do suppose you should call our language American, since it isn't the native form of english the British speak.

And we do have Bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwiches, eh?

Our healthcare is still abit of a mess, but we can still go out and buy herbs and vitamins and such. I'll take that over the big business medical industry any day.
edit on 11-3-2011 by DragonriderGal because: spelling

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonriderGal

lol but your bacon is terrible

I should have also added an understanding of irony to that list as it was in response to ReRun who was painting himself exactly as the thread title stated, it wasn't a direct attack at americans in general! I met a really nice one once...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

I concede your point.

Elemenop
Scribe/Akon
Hayley Westenra
The Datsuns
Nesian Mystik
and actors
Martin Henderson
Temuera Morrison
Cliff Curtis

I thought Ernest Walton and John Cockroft were the first to split the atom, I learn something new every day.

So do I! I just googled and came across this -
Book review in the NZ Listener
also
Answers.com
Although I had been taught all my life that Ernest Rutherford was the first - as I grew up in New Zealand! But the answer would seem to be all of the above, as answers.com says Walton & Cockroft under the direction of Rutherford...
Vicky

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join