It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Last week I had a verbal altercation with a man from Britain who had a bit to say about us Americans, specifically .. our lack of travel. Or International travel I should say. When asked why I've never been to Europe, I replied ... what would I see that's so different? I've always wanted to go, just for the history mostly .. but for the average person who gets a week or two a year to travel with their family, we have everything we could possibly want right here in America. And while we won't get the cultural immersion of visiting Europe or Asia, traveling with a family especially, where vacationing is more for the kids ... I simply can't see what's wrong with staying in America?

Of all the Post-Industrial nations in the World, America by far has fewer passport holders than anyone else. And when I say by far... I mean, by far! Roughly 18% of Americans have a passport, and that only increased because of the requirement for Americans to get back from Canada and Mexico, you must have a passport.

Great Britain has the highest percentage of Passport holders at 82% .. and Europeans have the highest percentage of international travelers..

I hear it all the time, American's don't travel over seas because they fear unknown cultures and believe they are the center of the universe. But I have to ask, how accurate is that? Vacations are a staple of the American life.. we just tend to stay within our borders. Yet most vacations are across state lines, and our states average larger than the territorial size of say.. European countries.

In Europe if you grow up in Britain, you can see the Alps, the sunny South of France, the dry deserts of Spain or the forests of Germany.. you cross International boundaries to get to those destinations, you see different cultures and people speak different languages.

I grew up in Ohio, flat land and nothing much to see. Every year we went somewhere different for vacation .. it may have been the coast of South Carolina, Pennsylvania, the Great Lakes, Florida, and so on.
In America, I can go to the West Coast and camp in North America's only temperate rain forest.. or visit the tropical islands of Hawaii, the big city of New York, or the white sand beaches of Florida. I can ski the Rocky Mountains and fish the lakes of Minnesota, or see the Grand Canyon, the history of Natives in Arizona or founding locations of our union in Pennsylvania and DC.

If I were to visit one place every year for the rest of my life, I wouldn't see everything I want to see .... just in my own country. Our states all have their own character, ways of life, accents, geography and history. I might not be able to experience sitting in a French cafe, or see 2000 year old ruins in Italy, or be immersed by a population speaking another language.. but I can still visit a new place every time I travel, see new scenery, try new foods not common in my state, or visit the different cultures of bustling New York, to the laid back drawl of southern Tennessee.

I agree Americans SHOULD travel more.. but I think considering Americans to be in some way inferior to other populations because of our traveling habits to be a bit rash .. I don't think we are nearly as narcissistic as the World thinks, we are just blessed to have everything we could ask for within our own borders.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I agree Americans SHOULD travel more.. but I think considering Americans to be in some way inferior to other populations because of our traveling habits to be a bit rash .. I don't think we are nearly as narcissistic as the World thinks, we are just blessed to have everything we could ask for within our own borders.

I see your point as I have traveled extensively across Canada and still have a lot to explore. The States as well as Canada are so huge that one doesn't have to travel to other countries to get a totally different culture, there are many varied ones in North America.

I have also traveled through the States and found that one didn't have to travel very far there either to get a whole different culture from State to State. I also enjoyed meeting the people there and didn't see any more "jerks" than I have in my own country.

But I really think that the size of the country has a lot to do with how often one leaves to explore a new place.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree with you on america has every thing we need so why go outside america. also to add as an american I am a little to nervous to venture to europe or asia, china, there are to many anti american haters outside our borders for myself and my family its american adventure or bust. And who are they to tell you or any person where to go for a trip? Personally Id rather be where I know there are no bombs that may go off, or Id rather not go where people think im so darn dumb. Ya speaking of us americans being dumb. really? why because i dont go outsdie my country? lol well in my book this makes them dumber then me for that reasoning alone...anyhow dont worry about the haters who are trying to pull us americans out of our land. ( makes me wonder why they want us to visit outside my country, what hiden agenda are they speaking of) peace

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Europe is so . . . old. Kind of dirty. Used up. Crowded.

Narrow streets. While there are some old castles and things falling apart and are picturesque, there's not much in Europe that we don't have a lot more of right here in the States.

Besides. Every generation, through our military, we get to see all kinds of places.

Come to think of it - without the US, there would not be a Europe, but a Greater Germany.

Nah.

I'll pass.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The guy in that video is a tool. Does he give reference for all his so called "statistics"?

Blah, blah, blah America is evil...
If it is so bad here then why in the world does everyone want to live here?

If we are so bad and you are not from here, then stay out, we don't want you anyway.

As far as the OP goes...well, I really wouldn't worry about it to much. See what you want to see, no matter where it is located. I would love to visit Germany. I would love to see all my relatives in Hungary. Quite the expensive proposition when prices for everything are on the rise.

reply to post by CanadianDream420

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
this video is deep, from his statistics the average american is not in control. Im not sure if I accept his statistics. maybe he gathered his statistics in a higher poverty area. It is fact that poverty stricken areas have lower educated people. I dont know about this video.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yeah, just what i want, to go on vacation to see Europe, knowing that on every corner the " watchful " eye is lurking...nah...a margarita on the beaches of Hawaii sounds better~ ( wheres my hula shirt ?)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
After reading all the anti-American posts around here I've no desire to travel outside the US at this point. Apparently, the rest of the world hates me!
Wow, you really had a conversation with someone like that, huh? Some people think they know it all and why do they need to impose their viewpoints on others?

We have tons of wonderful National parks and amazing places to go visit right here in our own backyard. I'd love to travel from coast-to-coast and hoping in a few years I can start. First on my list is the Florida Keys, then Alaska. Then west to see the Black Hills and the mountains and then the desert all the way to the west coast and then who knows...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well it's a bit more expensive for us, considering the distance. Naturally if you lived in Germany, you'd travel all over. Plus with all the extra vacation time countries other than the US have...

edit on 2-3-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I would love to try one of those Alaskan cruises, during the winter so i can see the snow.......maybe see some crab fisherman from the show deadliest catch!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'll probably have to reread your post again, but I work with Americans and you guys get far fewer days to enjoy yourselves... not to mention the shere cost..

I took my partner and kids for a cruise up the Nile full board for £500 a head (what is that $750??) and the Americans I met had to pay almost 10 times the amount... *shakes head*

I spent some time in Denmark.. (blooming expensive for me) breakfast at £30 a head a day (what is that $45??) comparing that to what you would pay in the US no wonder you at home, and no wonder the Americans I met had a bloody good moan about the prices..

Cost has a lot to do with this, so does the amount of days vacation you guys get... if the roles where reversed, I think I'd be doing the exact same...

edit on 2/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
"Americans are..." is the kind of statement that drives me crazy. "America" is a arbitrary nation, mostly delineated by land mass, but it in no way is it anything more than an idea. To say "Americans are lazy" is to define nothing, as you can't point to "Americans." You can point to people, as individuals, who live in, or reside within the borders called America and who have certain characteristics that they have displayed to you personally. You can say "Ed, who lives in America is lazy and..." but to say "Americans" isn't to define anything. The problem is this his how people now define the way they interact with others, they create a bumper sticker category and then make a proclamation. No one should be allowed to speak this way, you should have to rework this thread and name those who you feel are xyz. Were you to do this, you awareness of others would expand beyond the bumper sticker mentality that media so loves.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'm British, and I've always thought that this criticism of Americans not travelling abroad was rather harsh, mainly because of many reasons you mention.

You have to have a passport in Britain if you want to go anywhere sunny, skiing or snowboarding, holidaying in the tropics etc.

In the US, why would anyone bother going to another country to do these activities when they can do them all within their own borders ?

In Britain, most people holiday abroad out of necessity, as you just cannot guarantee week-long sunny spells like you can in Spain, Portugal or Greece !

The amount of British people who travel to another country to experience and absorb another country's history, culture and way of life, are in the minority, as opposed to those who travel abroad just for ''sex, sun and sangria''.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I plan on seeing Europe and the middle east during the next world war.

Probably Asia as well

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I resent that sir.
I am not ignorant!

I do love to travel though. Parts of the reasons I think Americans are Xenophobic as you have in your title, is because of a lack of seeing other cultures. It's easy to have a fear or hatred of something you don't know.

Get out and travel. I've been to at least 30 of the 50 US States. 2 Canadian providences and multiple European countries. And I haven't seen nearly but a fraction of what I want to so far. A greater appreciation for others comes from just experiencing others.

edit on 2-3-2011 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well I know for me I don't travel because I can't afford it. I went to Europe for the first time in my life this past holiday season. I was in Italy for three weeks and I LOVED it. I saw the airport at Gatwick and a small town outside of it thanks to a fellow ATSer who let me stay on their couch so I didn't have to sleep in the airport on my layover.
thank you..

I would have loved to have seen more and I plan on it. It took me 6mths to save the money for my 3wk trip and it was worth it. If I could travel more I would but it is just too expensive for me to go overseas all the time. I only went over there to see my boyfriend so if it wasn't for him I never would have even been to Europe. I always wanted to go but couldn't. I stayed with him so I didn't have to pay for a room so that made it easier
Over there it's easier to travel imo because the countries are smaller and close together. You can take the train from one country to the next and it's reasonably priced. I looked into it while I was there for future trips. If I lived in Europe I'd travel all over. It's expensive to fly across the Atlantic!

Everyone I know has said if it wasn't so expensive to go to Europe they would. So I don't think it's because Americans don't like Europe or are lazy and such I think it's more about affordability for most. It's really cheap to go to Canada or Mexico from the US and they are right there and they do have nice vacation spots but there are many places in the US to see as well and for most people it's more affordable. I could be completely wrong but just from person experience and conversations with friends and family about going to Europe esp since I just went this is what they all seem to say, it's about money.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by allisit
this video is deep, from his statistics the average american is not in control. Im not sure if I accept his statistics. maybe he gathered his statistics in a higher poverty area. It is fact that poverty stricken areas have lower educated people. I dont know about this video.

95% of all statistics are made up.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

These foreigners who hate America are a dime a dozen. They are mostly far leftists or Muslims who are angry that we have not joined their glorious revolution for mass oppression and poverty. As long as I have been alive there are Europeans who spit hate at America no matter what we do. It does not mean much in the scheme of things. They are a minority of pinheads. For most of them all they know about Americans is what they see on television.

Then you have the lefty nest poopers in the US who hate themselves even more than the foreign bigots. They love the insults for some reason and cowtail to it.

Americans travel to Europe and Europeans travel to America. That is for the people who can afford to travel across the pond.

You could spend a lifetime of vacations in the US and still not see and experience everything. Foreigners who have not lived here, have no idea what America is.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

"Come to think of it - without the US, there would not be a Europe, but a Greater Germany. " quote.

Oh dear.. Would that be the Greater Germany that declared war on you? THe only reason why you entered the war in the first place...lol. Tell me, what do they teach you people in your schools cos it certainly Isn't acknowledged history. Just for you, while America sat back and refused to get involved a little island nation known as Great Britain (it aint called great for nothing) stood by its word and declared war on Germany for invading Poland. For the next year and a half we fought alone and won the Battle Of Britain... Far from spouting this "we saved Europe" nonsense America should be truly ashamed of the way it behaved in WW2.
And as for Americans refusing to go abroad and not having passports..! If we could now only get your government to keep its armed forces at home the world will no doubt be a better place...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join