It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick footballer kicks injured owl off pitch (video)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Johny Seagull

With a name like yours I'd probably steer clear of Columbian / any football (soccer if you are American) match... you never know.........

My experience of Columbia as a country goes back to the 90's BUT my vitriol about it, in that little paragraph can probably be applied to A.N Other country at will because it is an illustration of my disapointment and disgust with how elements within most civilized (?) countries work...! There is little care, attention and compassion from those elements which cause the larger society to get outraged for a few minutes and then move on to the next atrocity......

If those comments Offend some Columbians. then GOOD !!!! They might in turn bring some sort of Justice down on that disgusting football individual so as to protect the 'image' of the country they belong too, .... if it means that much to them ???

Regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It's just so sad. I just don't understand people sometimes. I mean how some people are even able to sleep or look themselves in a mirror is just beyond me.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Reminds me of this woman...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Why was the owl even allowed to be anywhere near the pitch?

Is it a wild owl that just sometimes happens to show up or is it an official mascot for the team?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Looks like my news source was older.
Here from NY Daily News:
Owl attacked by Luis Moreno dies

The owl that footballer Luis Moreno kicked during a Colombian first division game died early Tuesday as a result of the brutal attack by the Deportivo Perreira defender. Despite showing signs of improvement as late as Monday night, the bird “went into a state of shock and died,” attending veterinarian Camilo Tapia told the local press, Triunfo reported.

According to Radio Caracol of Colombia, the exact cause of death was capture myopathy, which develops in animals that are subjected to extreme physical conditions, such as exertion, struggle and stress.

With 20 minutes remaining in Sunday’s game between Junior de Barranquilla and visiting side Deportivo Perreira, Moreno kicked the home team's mascot that had accidentally been hit by the match ball after wandering onto the field.

Teammates and opponents looked in disbelief while Moreno violently punted the stunned, helpless owl – one of many that live on the roof of Barranquilla Metropolitan Stadium and fly over the pitch before games - out of bounds. Infuriated fans showered the player with insults, calling him a “killer.”

Animal cruelty laws in Colombia can punish offenders with up to three months in jail, which is the sentence many are calling for Moreno to receive. Local activists are also urging league officials to permanently expel Moreno - who is a native of Panama - from Colombian football.
“We demand that Dimayor and Deportivo Perreira immediately sever ties with this player. No excuse is enough, it’s an act that has no justification whatsoever,” Marcela Ramirez, president of Colombia’s Society for the Protection of Animals, told Radio Caracol.
Aware that he’s treading on thin ice, Moreno once again apologized to anyone that would listen to him and now claims that he was actually trying to help the owl.
“It wasn’t my intention to hit the animal. What I tried to do was wake it up so it could fly,” Moreno said, according to Reuters.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Food for thought there. These guys are role models for many kids. What kind of signal does this transmit?
Good input, thanks.

link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Is it a wild owl that just sometimes happens to show up or is it an official mascot for the team?

Apparently itsthe official mascot that lives in the stadium..

2nd

link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Ok, you seem quite angry and happy to offend. Fair enough if that is your angle.

Can I ask you is that a picture of your dog?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

Food for thought there. These guys are role models for many kids. What kind of signal does this transmit?
Good input, thanks.

They are supposed to be a role model, but if you see the behavior of some of the uk footballers.. You will see they are far from being role models!!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Then, without sounding like a callous bastard, why was it allowed anywhere near the pitch where it was eventually hit by a football? What that football player did was inexcusable, but the whole issue should never have occurred in the first place.

It looked badly injured before the player even kicked it, which makes what he did even worse, but officials at the club should also be shouldering a good portion of the blame here.

Crap like this would never happen over here. Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

OMG
What an ass! How can anyone do that to an animal? It was hurt and needed help. It's a fricking owl! Oh I want to hit that guy. Owls have great meaning and this guy just kicks the poor thing aside! If he has bad luck after this I woudln't be surprised.

I have always liked owls. They are so pretty and I like to watch them. I helped a baby owl one time that fell out of it's nest. It was the cutest thing ever. I stayed up all night with it and the next day animal rescue came and picked it up. They nursed it back to health and later released it back. I felt bad for it because it was tiny and helpless and if I hadnt of saved the little guy he would have died. So for one night I had an owl

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time being appalled by this.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the bird,but I see it this way: He said he didn't know this was a mascot. So he sees a wild animal on the field. A bird of prey at that. Knowing that soccer play doesn't stop for anything, his thinking was probably to get the animal off the field as quickly as possible. Not knowing this was a slightly domesticated animal, I'd do my best to keep my vital parts away. Granted, I would have scooted the thing off, but he was in the middle of a game.

And I'm with the other poster....why was this animal allowed that near the field unattended. He was on the field injured, he just got hit with a ball. Where is everyone calling for it's handlers arrest and jail time? Where is everyone calling for the player who kicked the ball that hit the owl arrest?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

If those comments Offend some Columbians. then GOOD !!!!

This issue shouldn't be about Colombians, it should be about good and bad people. There are good and bad people in every country.

Obviously that football player doesn't have respect for animal life.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Suppodsely it lived somewhere in the stadium, the fans then treated him like the mascot.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This act of violence is probably indicative of many of todays football stars,sick arrogant,self important,uncaring and self serving!

Was there really any need? Asshole!!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
I'm having a hard time being appalled by this.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the bird,but I see it this way: He said he didn't know this was a mascot. So he sees a wild animal on the field. A bird of prey at that. Knowing that soccer play doesn't stop for anything, his thinking was probably to get the animal off the field as quickly as possible. Not knowing this was a slightly domesticated animal, I'd do my best to keep my vital parts away. Granted, I would have scooted the thing off, but he was in the middle of a game.

And I'm with the other poster....why was this animal allowed that near the field unattended. He was on the field injured, he just got hit with a ball. Where is everyone calling for it's handlers arrest and jail time? Where is everyone calling for the player who kicked the ball that hit the owl arrest?

He could have grabbed it to take it outside the field or the game could have been stopped for a few seconds to let the medics grab it and take it away. Anything but kick it if you know what I mean.

Where is everyone calling for the player who kicked the ball that hit the owl arrest?

One was an accident and the other one was on purpose.
edit on 2-3-2011 by danielsil18 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Something wicked his way comes.

People like this always get their just deserts and knowing what some folks feel about little fluffy animals it won't take long. Forget legal procedures, this guy has a big sign on his back now.

I cannot bear to watch the clip but thanks for posting.

Git!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

Good input, thanks.

S&F OP, and could not agree more.

TLA, I guess it tells kids you can get away with anything, as long as you are some "star" athlete

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

This issue shouldn't be about Colombians, it should be about good and bad people. There are good and bad people in every country.

READ the Whole TEXT and don't just ''EDIT'' what you want.............. FFS

My subtext was about society in general, if you can't see this then I dispair............. My comments about Colombia and Columbians STILL STANDS because if it gets a few ''INFLAMED'' then good because it might make them and others (of different nationalities and cultures) whom are proud of their nations take MORE responsibility of the actions of others within their nations !! Like this patheitc footballer who is actually a Panamanian.....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

READ the Whole TEXT and don't just ''EDIT'' what you want.............. FFS

My subtext was about society in general, if you can't see this then I dispair............. My comments about Colombia and Columbians STILL STANDS because if it gets a few ''INFLAMED'' then good because it might make them and others (of different nationalities and cultures) whom are proud of their nations take MORE responsibility of the actions of others within their nations !! Like this patheitc footballer who is actually a Panamanian.....

Regards

PDUK

I like your optimism, but the chances of getting a few Colombians "inflamed" is most likely not going to happen.

take MORE responsibility of the actions of others within their nations

What do you want Colombians who read ATS do to the Panamanian?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join