It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6-year-old Committed to Psych Ward Against Parents Wishes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Source: moms.today.com...

Experts say this could happen to any parent: Mental health professionals have the power to put any child in a 72-hour psych hold, without the parents' permission, if they think it's necessary.

In 6-year-old Jack Dorman's case, he drew a violent picture and wrote that he wanted to die. Syndi Dorman says her son suffers from separation anxiety and was having a rough time because her husband was in the midst of being deployed to Iraq. She says she told school officials she would get him to a therapist that day, but they said it was out of her hands and an ambulance was already on its way.

I believe the only valid reason to take away a child is if either the child has done severe harm to others or there will definitely be harm without doing so. In this case we simply have a state that seems to think they own own our children and can do with them anything they wish at any time.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If the child had acted out these ideas and no-one had done anything about it then who would be held responsible?

The child's best interests are the issue here and psychiatric wards for children are not the nightmare old institutions that many imagine when the term psych ward is mentioned. Its is good that someone acted and the child has been taken to a safe place for evaluation. This is not normal 6yr old behaviour and as such it should be taken seriously.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
and so in the intrests of sanitizing peoples minds another poor innocent suffers.

unsuprising really, "mental health" is a sick industry, with roots in the witch hunters (medival christian movement.)

I hope the mother manages to keep her child out of its clutches in the future.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I agree somthing should be done if a kid says they want to die, but what they did was arrogant and potentially horrifically damaging.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think this is a good thing. A happy healthy child does not write things described above. If a child does express a desire to die with morbid pictures and such, I think it's more than reasonable to evaluate them outside the home. There very well may be abuse inside the home, and of course the parents would not consent to anyone else interacting with the child. It's in the best interest of the child. It's a 3 day evaluation. It isn't like the state is stealing the children away. Much more harm can be done if the child is left alone with their thoughts and then something tragic happens because no one intervened.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I suspect your response would be different if you were to ever have children.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

the kid suffer from seperation anxiety and they try and help him by taking him away from his parent against either of their wills.

how does that help?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

There was no mention of "Christian" in the article. That appears to be a bias you have inserted.

It was the school (a secular institution) which was implementing a protocol to prevent a child from self harming.

Perhaps if someone at the school had applied Christian principles and actually attended to the child rather than implement some mechanistic protocol, the outcome would have been better for all.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If they really had the interests of the child at heart and really thought a mental health hospital was the best place for him why the heck do they think that removing him from the mother is a good idea.Especially when she said he was suffering from separation anxiety. Surely it would make more sense for them them to have the mother accompany the child if it was necessary. I guess anything goes if it comes under the heading of *in the childs best interest*. Lets screw the kid up a bit more and then get him hooked on big pharma at a young age.Sorry for the rant but this sucks, can you imagine how traumatic that must be for a 6 year old with anxiety problems, let alone how the mother must feel.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
reply to post by Versa

I suspect your response would be different if you were to ever have children.

I have a child and i am a mental health nurse and my response remains the same.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
What are you guys thinking? You know that families did just fine for 1000s of years without Nazi organizations stepping in and habitually boundary line stepping into people's personal lives.
When I was 6 I use to say things similar and I turned out just fine. My parents went thru a divorce when I was 6 and argued all the time, even using swear words. Ooooh noooo, harsh language!

When "the state" steps in for every little thing that "COULD BE" a problem, they make ALL hypothetical scenarios into something that definitely will happen. Cops do this all the time and crap all over our freedoms and rights.

Give these people an inch and they'll take your kids, car, house, dog, cat, bank account, whatever you got they will take it if you let them. Tell these people to go try to take away a lion's baby, or an elephant's newborn and see what that animal does. People have become docile complacent fluoridated zombies who let the new Nazis role right over their lives and get away with it.

The kid's dad was going off to an illegal war!
He has separation anxiety because of it.
He can't process his feeling like an adult and is drawing it out instead... all normal! Remember what normal was? It was when we reacted normally to what was happening, now people are getting punished for being NORMAL!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

Psych wards in the US are a joke. I know I have been in one. They don't care about you in any way shape or form. A child doesn't belong in one and the parent said they would take him to a therapist. Let the parent BE the parent not the damn government. It's none of their business. If they want to help the child why not put more money into the school systems or have a program for kids who have parents who are having to go overseas? Putting a kid in a psych ward like that when he already has issues could traumatize him more. The kid needs to be with his parents and let the parents deal with it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
reply to post by spinalremain

the kid suffer from seperation anxiety and they try and help him by taking him away from his parent against either of their wills.

how does that help?

Who diagnosed that the child suffered from separation anxiety? If the child is already suffering from anxiety disorders at 6yrs old then something IS WRONG. The child has not been removed for ever but needs to be in a safe place if his wishes at 6yrs old are to kill himself.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

i agree. i would never trust these psuedo psychos to evaluate my child. talk to the neighbours and rellies and father to get a better picture. and ask "big brother" why so much violence and sexual exploits are streamed into peoples homes via tv.

removing the child from both parents to the custody of left brain morons will traumatize the child.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

While I can understand having one's child taken away by a non-family member is very traumatic, the teacher was acting in accordance with the responsibility he/she was left with. If a child shows suicidal tendencies, something needs to be done. Often, these kinds of behaviors are representative of a problem at home like physical or emotional abuse. In this case, supposedly the child was upset about his father's absence. I don't think anyone can draw a firm conclusion here without knowing the results of the psychoanalysis.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by Versa

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

Psych wards in the US are a joke. I know I have been in one.

Well I can't say what psych wards in the US are like but the child psychology units in the UK are not horrific nightmarish asylums and people do recover in them, the staff are well trained, caring and sensitive. This child is displaying very worrying behaviour for a 6yr old.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I was refering to the history of the mental health industry.

if you want to know more, pick up a book called "the manufacture of madness" by Thomas S Szasz.

I don't know any good internet links on the subject.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I know the mom freaked out, but can you imagine what the father in deployment felt? Totally helpless. Damned.

That can't happen everywhere though, only if you live in a state with that statute; It's not federal law.

Here in Florida it's called "The Baker Act" where anyone of any age can be held for 72 hours if someone deems them a threat to themselves or others.

Personally, if someone tried to Baker Act moi, I'd become real dangerous to those trying. Shrinks are a bunch of shamans that have the lawful ability to administer drugs, and psychology is not a science, it's a sham.

The school fools should have informed the mother and recommended action - not gone Nazi on her.
edit on 22-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by Versa

The kid needs to be with his parents and let the parents deal with it.

and where has that got him so far? Drawing violent images and expressing the wish to kill himself.....

link   
They are going to medicate this kid to high hell and he will be made a slave to the mental "health" biz for the rest of his life. Make no mistake, it is a business and cures are not their business. This kid is depressed and clearly does not want to be in school...but he is forced to go, so yeah, he is desperate and is venting through his drawings. I cut myself and ripped up my clothes as a child in a desperate attempt to stay out of school...it happened to me and it will happen to him. If the parents are smart, they will flee with their child, settle somewhere quiet and keep him out of public schools.
edit on 22-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join