It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Say goodbye to your dreams of a white picket fence on Mars: intergalactic baby-making could be a bust.

Our dream of life beyond the stars may be thwarted by fertility-sapping cosmic rays, says a NASA biophysicist

Sorry, Stephen Hawking. The astrophysicist's grandiose plan for the human race to leave Earth and colonize the far reaches of space may never come to fruition. Why? Because NASA has discovered that space is "simply not a good place to have sex." Here, a quick guide to our outer-space fertility problem:

Why couldn't humans colonize space?
Because any child conceived and born in space is likely to be born
sterile. Scientists at NASA say that the high levels of radiation in
space would kill any female fetus' lifetime supply of eggs, while
males in the womb would likely become sterile. The child could also
suffer "mental and physical defects" from exposure to harmful
radiation.

Couldn't spaceships protect against this kind of radiation?
No. These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles
from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our
atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain
vulnerable.

Has anyone had sex in space before?
It's not clear, says Jason Mick at Daily Tech. Both NASA and the Russians refuse to reveal if their astronauts had ever attempted "zero-G docking maneuvers" in space. The only couple to have traveled together into space — husband and wife team Jan Davis and Mark Lee — remain tight-lipped about whether or not they "got their stellar groove on."

Would the same issue affect colonists on Mars?
No, says James Walker at Gearfuse. The atmosphere of Mars would
likely give some protection against these rays. All of which suggests
that the problem is "more of an issue for colonization outside of the
solar system." Just so long as the astronauts "practice
self-restraint while hurtling toward the Red Planet," the human race
might be able to procreate away from Earth after all.

Sources:
The Independant
Gearfuse
DailyTech

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The improbable has never stopped man, (us), from continuing to make the least likely a reality. As a species to get to your point, a problem more challenging.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by I.T.S.U.

Apparently under the current conditions its not possible. The radiation alone will make males sterile out of the womb so they say here in the article.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Why don't we just take the atmosphere with us!

And A super large magnet in the middle of the IIS would solve the other thing.

Lots of air, c02, and all the others funny bunny numbered bits and viola! Safe as houses..

Floatin thru space, couldn't be easier..

They need to empoy me at NASA.. grrr

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think that it is possible for humans to colonize space.... maybe not with our current tech but someday. I mean why not, they just need to develop better radiation protection.

I say you dont know for sure until you try. Plus, I doubt they would be short on volunteers for the study

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Why don't we just take the atmosphere with us!

And A super large magnet in the middle of the IIS would solve the other thing.

Lots of air, c02, and all the others funny bunny numbered bits and viola! Safe as houses..

Floatin thru space, couldn't be easier..

They need to empoy me at NASA.. grrr

You are hired! When can you start? We need people who dont think too hard on the subject to make it happen. Wouldnt the magnet attract meteorites and such? Im thinking it would have to be a huge magnet. Or we could just trap the women in a magnetized room from conception or call the room conception room and not let them leave for 9 months.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I, personally, don't want to live anywhere that doesn't have an ATMOSPHERE.

... and I certainly wouldn't be creating any new life that would also be spending his days wondering if he would be able to take his next breath... Thanks but No Thanks. I thought we already looked at space colonization as a temporary situation. Perhaps I was wrong.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
sure we can colonize space ,first lets get rid of Nasa.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

I dont think many women would be interested in going to space to possibly get pregnant and if they do get pregnant what about birth defects and possible death. Its not like after the birth the government is going to take the baby and raise it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
I, personally, don't want to live anywhere that doesn't have an ATMOSPHERE.

... and I certainly wouldn't be creating any new life that would also be spending his days wondering if he would be able to take his next breath... Thanks but No Thanks. I thought we already looked at space colonization as a temporary situation. Perhaps I was wrong.

Agreed

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
They just need to put shields up. Hell, if that article was written 200 years ago it would simply state "We can't mate in space because we can't get there".

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
sure we can colonize space ,first lets get rid of Nasa.

Who do you propose take NASA's place if we got rid of them?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
They just need to put shields up. Hell, if that article was written 200 years ago it would simply state "We can't mate in space because we can't get there".

Is there shield technology that we have that is capable of protecting us from radiation? Besides lead walls? Also These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain vulnerable.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Give humans a habitable planet in the goldilocks zone and nature will find a way.

Gold is a better shield against harmful cosmic rays.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This post won't be like my usual:

Are you retarded? Anyone whoever says anything is out of humanity's reach is always proven wrong. We find solutions to all things in our way. Case closed.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
This post won't be like my usual:

Are you retarded? Anyone whoever says anything is out of humanity's reach is always proven wrong. We find solutions to all things in our way. Case closed.

You know what. That name calling is uncalled for. This is an article in the paper and your comment is very rude and unconstructive. If you have nothing good to add to the thread then dont say anything.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
So...that's why them little bugger Grays look so funny, can't talk, and are preoccupied with hybridization. Who knew?

Interesting find OP.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
So...that's why them little bugger Grays look so funny, can't talk, and are preoccupied with hybridization. Who knew?

Interesting find OP.

Maybe they come here to breed because they cant procreate in space? Who knows.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Give humans a habitable planet in the goldilocks zone and nature will find a way.

Gold is a better shield against harmful cosmic rays.

It would be cool to see a gold space ship. I bet it would consume most of the earths gold to make it. It would have to be a big ship to carry most of the people on earth. Unless they did a lottery to see who gets on it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

Its not like after the birth the government is going to take the baby and raise it.

This is very true.... but I would think adoption would be a good avenue of resolution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join