It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Its not only the cosmic rays and radiation that would hamper breeding or just being able to have normal body functions in space, but also little things like "gravity" plays an important part in reproduction, and also the atmosphere, and the magnetic field, which sustains life, and the process of life, cell regeneration and all that, biological process such as brain synapses, plus any number of things I cant remember right now, or we just have no clue on.

Or even a simple fact like you wont be able to catch some sun rays like here on earth, it will effect the human body in things like vitamin d synthesis, which would lead to week bones or teeth and whatever else, all you would have to do is look at people in different places were they get lots of sun light, and compare to places were they don't, like Alaska or Britain, which I heard it's cloudy there a lot on that island. And who knows what else really would happen in long term space travel without sun light, and with only manufactured light and vitamins to supplement natural things that you would get from the sun or just from nature here on earth, but there is always something.

But yes on a planet with less gravity and the fetus would develop differently, then on a planet with earth gravity, or if there is to much gravity, ie more then earths and that to would also effect a fetus in different ways, and if there is no gravity, well you would get the picture there could be many deformities. Who knows really. But they probably already did tests on animals like rats or dogs, to see what happens in that scenario and other things and scenarios. Or at least we can only hope they tested some of there theories out, before they send some sucker out there, on a mission to mate, and have a child, just to see what would happen.

What a lot of people don't get is that we really are tailor made for this planet in more ways then we know about at this moment, and we have trouble when we go into different ecosystems, here on earth. Like say if you were to go to Africa, you would have to watch out for all the things like germs, and microbes and disease spreading mosquitoes that are in that place. So how do you imagine it would be on a totally different planet, or synthetic environment like a cramped space ship, and life there for years and years, or even whole lifetimes.

Not saying it cant be done, but it wouldn't just be one thing you would have to adapt to, but many things. And really I do believe we should worry about trying to live on this planet in peace and prosperity, before we go out in space. You know its kind of silly we cant even live in the place we were made to live in without killing each-other or starving to death on mass proportions once every couple of years, so it wouldn't be much "fun" living in a place, like space, which we were not made to live, or adapted to live in, I think for now we got bigger problems then being, a space living species..... Ever seen a fish out of water? It's pretty much the same as how a human out of its element called earth, would look like.
edit on 18-2-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: say cheese.

I would hope they have tested some of there theories out on animals i would be hard pressed to belive they would just send some one up just to see what would happen that would be scarey..And we would also have to worry about what we spread to to there ecosystems...I could not imagine being cramped in a space ship for years and years, or even a whole lifetime that to me would be a nightmare..And your so right we cant even get along on this planet without killing each-other or starving to death isnt it sad? Thank you for the nice reply..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by jazzguy
sure we can colonize space ,first lets get rid of Nasa.

Who do you propose take NASA's place if we got rid of them?

A Space Exploration Agency.

Something the civilian world hasn't had since 1968.

Click The M2P2 Artificial Magnetosphere Drive Link on this ATS post...

edit on 18-2-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

I wouldn't doubt there isn't other classified space programs ..the book you mentioned sounds interesting we all know about (NASA),but i didn't know about the military, and the one Above Top Secret i never thought about Nasa being a front operation whose purpose is the screening of a massive secret space force..Thank you for bringing this book to my attention ..also thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Space exploration is in it's infancy. Just like observers of the first Write brothers flight, it can't be conceived how this 6 foot high hundred foot flight in a powered heavier than air craft would become a viable transportation mechanism. You have to start somewhere, and the radiation shielding testbed is the ISS right now. Math and computer models can get you started but actual field testing is still the only proven developmental process we have.

This is just one of the many hurdles mankind needs to overcome for space travel. Propulsion, fuel, and sustainable life support are bigger hurdles at this point in time for any kind of return of investment incentives. That's probably why our space lab is just a couple of hundred miles away, and not a couple of hundred light years away at this point in time.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You might find it interesting that the Russians report that cockroaches conceived in space grew faster and stronger and were quicker than earth born parents. There may be more informative links available but here's one.

www.newscientist.com... er-cockroaches-from-space.html

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Starred ye for that.

But will point out, there's a big difference between orbital space, interplanetary space and interstellar/Galactic space, the latter being an eminently harsher radioactive environ than our local space within the solarsphere as our Sol actually protects the internal environment of our system more than people outside of astrophysics may realise, however much Solar radiation is harmful, what's outside is much more violent and intense, a very violent place, radioactivity wise, interstellar/galactic space.

Of course, if the hypothetical method of future space travel involving the folding of space continuum were employed, radiation issues written about thus far in the thread, wouldn't actually be much of an issue.

And if we are talking about colonising Mars or a farther out planets moon, it would be easy enough to shield ovum and sperm to create a generation of colonists, requiring only a crew, who may even be sterile volunteers so no harm done to interplanetary pioneers.

But i somehow feel, by the time we've got a craft to go the distances required in short enough time spans, radiation issues will not be problematical to crew travelling within our system, but as usual, the general public will be the last to learn of advances made in shield tech'.

May already exist, ay, we all know what sort of things get built at places like the Skunkworks etc.
Just there's not enough money available to build the required ships yet, one thing the global economic collapse has meant, is it's fracked up funding for space programmes around the planet, our ESA, USA's NASA, Japan, China, Australia etc, but who's to say prototypics don't already exist, just not enough finance to fund a ship proper, may be, that's where some of the unaccounted trillions have really gone, why the search for Terra like planets has ramped up, all been inferred directly or indirectly here on ATS over the years, after all, the future is already happening, as i tend say a lot these days.

[Just, many still live in the 20th century still.]

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Thanks for the link i love the gold space ship in fact i liked it so much its my new wallpaper
Also i believe very little of what NASA or our government has to say that's why I'm on ATS they have been keeping us in the dark for eons that's how they want it ..thanks for the reply

I always liked the Pax Magellanic ship out of Andromeda, Pax being Latin for peace and the goddess of peace in Roman pantheon, as much as my nickname since 1984-5, PaxDelta and Magellanic being either of two small galaxies orbiting the Milky Way, termed clouds and visible near the south celestial pole, pleased ye liked it.

Andromeda is available on Bit Torrent, if using Azureus/Vuse, separates for each series is available via DHT search facility.

Pax Magellanic episode: The Mathematics of Tears S01E12.
www.imdb.com...
[Love Trance in her Gold incarnation, as well as blue, lovely non Terran, ay, will always be one of my top favourite female non Terrans from scifi, of course, Andromeda/Rommie is hot as can be imho, pardon the digression.
]

Peace.

edit on 19-2-2011 by DeltaPan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Ya those cockroaches will in all probability out survive humanity. If they can survive and even thrive in a nuclear blast area, I don't think they would have much of a problem with a little cosmic radiation in space shuttles or low atmosphere planets. Its like they were made for being in space and high radiation environmental were humans cant life in.

If we ever begin to terraform mars in the future, cockroaches can help in that process, all we would have to do is put them there when there is enough oxygen for them to survive in, which humans wont be able to breath because of the levels, but the cockroaches will be everywhere within years. And since they have little problem with radiation incoming from sol, they can survive thats for sure scurrying around under the rocks at day and would be everywhere at night breaking things down, with there capacity of eating pretty much anything. They have even been found to eat even plastic.
Though we would have to worry about the whole, attack of the mutant cockroaches thing. But really its like they were designed for such purposes, or to survive in such ecosystems.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Space exploration is in it's infancy. Just like observers of the first Write brothers flight, it can't be conceived how this 6 foot high hundred foot flight in a powered heavier than air craft would become a viable transportation mechanism. You have to start somewhere, and the radiation shielding testbed is the ISS right now. Math and computer models can get you started but actual field testing is still the only proven developmental process we have.

This is just one of the many hurdles mankind needs to overcome for space travel. Propulsion, fuel, and sustainable life support are bigger hurdles at this point in time for any kind of return of investment incentives. That's probably why our space lab is just a couple of hundred miles away, and not a couple of hundred light years away at this point in time.

Best post ive seen yet on this subject thank you..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
You might find it interesting that the Russians report that cockroaches conceived in space grew faster and stronger and were quicker than earth born parents. There may be more informative links available but here's one.

www.newscientist.com... er-cockroaches-from-space.html

Those cockroaches are nasty little bugs doest surprise me they could live.. bug spray doesn't even kill them they love it..and to grow faster and stronger eww but just think what humans could do the thought is fascinating ..thanks for the post and your link doesn't work..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i say astronauts or willing people should get on a spaceship and go all the way into space until they find something unusual or run out of whatever now thats something to look forward to

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
i say astronauts or willing people should get on a spaceship and go all the way into space until they find something unusual or run out of whatever now thats something to look forward to

I don't know what that's got to do with colonizeing space..but thanks for the reply..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't know what leads you to think this applies to planets, but, yeah, we're colonizing space, it's gonna happen.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davian
I don't know what leads you to think this applies to planets, but, yeah, we're colonizing space, it's gonna happen.

Im sure we will all im doing is showing you the artical this guy wrote..thanks for thee reply

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sounds the same to me as someone saying 100 years ago "we could never survive in space, because there is no oxygen or pressure"

They didn't have the technology back then to bring pressure and oxygen with them, as we do now, so assuming we continue advancing in space-based technology I have no doubt we could also bring the radiation protection the earth provides with us too.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I give it 10 years and i bet we have the technology if we don't already..The government never tells us anything ..thanks for the reply.. and the word never is a strong word in my book

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Humans do manage to leave to space before the event happens..
You will be travelling in ships powered by innertia drives, they will be constantly 'jumping' after the first jump from earth orbit so as not to waste the energy created from its last jump. So your space travel will be sporadic at best. This means you wont be constantly living on these ships, they are more of a means to an end in getting you to your habitable planets which were deemed ready for colonization.
Most of the radiation issues will be solved with shielding technology which will be made possible by the extreme power outputs created after the first jump's innertia,
however they will not have been able to be tested on earth, so it is likely there will be some defects,
It will be a tough time for humanities colonists. you DO make it, but there will be no long term journeys around the galaxy in starships, simply journeys from planet to pre-determined planet.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

I agree that would be a rough life going from planet to pre-determined planet..I would not want to live that way but the way our planet is going i see that happening ..shielding technology I'm sure we will figure that out if they keep funding us space-based technology but yes colonizing space will happen I'm sure of that..thanks for the reply~

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It is indeed certainty, it will however be the humbling last steps of humanity.
Fear not however, it will not be without its rewards

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is assuming that we couldn't find a way to produce an artificial atmosphere to burn up incoming debris and absorb radiation. This is also assuming the propulsion systems will never advance beyond their current state. OF course, I have a hunch that alien/future humans would travel and communicate not by ships or radio signals, but by using a form of "galactic telekinesis" .
edit on 25-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth
It is indeed certainty, it will however be the humbling last steps of humanity.
Fear not however, it will not be without its rewards

I'm not sure what the rewards will be? But it will probably be our last chance because planet earth is falling apart and were part of the problem..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
This is assuming that we couldn't find a way to produce an artificial atmosphere to burn up incoming debris and absorb radiation. This is also assuming the propulsion systems will never advance beyond their current state. OF course, I have a hunch that alien/future humans would travel and communicate not by ships or radio signals, but by using a form of "galactic telekinesis" .
edit on 25-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

"galactic telekinesis" that's a good one i never thought about that idea

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join