It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
I don't think this is a serious problem for us "at the moment".

They are claiming we'll never colonise space due to these harmful rays but - that's only because, at the moment, we dont know how to artificially generate the protection we need. That isn't to say we never will - just that at the present moment, our technology isn't advanced enough.

I figure by the time we're able to explore space and colonise other worlds in a reasonable fashion, we'll have a much better grasp on gravity, electromagnetism, energy and so on such that the ideas of "force fields" or star trek-esque "shields" will be a reality.

No its serious problem for us "at the moment" our technology is moving fast I'm sure we will figure all this out in fact I'm sure we will ..Like the thecrow001 said we as humans love the Impossible

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I'm going to assume that they have already gone down the tinfoil underwear rout and found that it didn't work so I'm all out of suggestions for this problem

oh I'm laughing tinfoil underwear that's a good davespanners

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
They just need to put shields up. Hell, if that article was written 200 years ago it would simply state "We can't mate in space because we can't get there".

Is there shield technology that we have that is capable of protecting us from radiation? Besides lead walls? Also These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain vulnerable.

no expert but how about a tesla sheild or perhaps some application of orgone technology?

I'm no expert either but all that you stated sounds logical to me ..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ill read all the comments after, but I just had to post a thought.

Would not by the time we are colonizing space, that we will have better shielding capabilities?

Therefor the problem of radiation will be gone..

just saying

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I never thought we were going into space to colonize space in itself but to colonize other planets. While I don't doubt that we will eventually find ways to shield ourselves from cosmic rays a future colony is likely to be based on a world that offers some of the same protection as our own.

I just showed you what writer of the article had to say but your right i always thought that was the plan also to colonize other planets but this guy thinks the opposite who knows..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
A. Life finds a way. (sure, it's a quote from Jurassic Park, but true nonetheless)...

B. Other planets (according to the article) seem fine, so there you go.

C. Never know what new technologies will emerge, such as cosmic ray shielding.

NEVER is a strong word, especially when the article itself admits Mars may be just fine for such efforts.

Funny thing....this actually helps the V storyline (tv show), as it provides a good motivation for their breeding agenda.

I never thought about the the V storyline but your right..and yes the word NEVER should not be used that makes us just work harder to prove the impossible can be done ..thanks for the reply..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaPan

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Give humans a habitable planet in the goldilocks zone and nature will find a way.

Gold is a better shield against harmful cosmic rays.

It would be cool to see a gold space ship. I bet it would consume most of the earths gold to make it. It would have to be a big ship to carry most of the people on earth. Unless they did a lottery to see who gets on it.

Against Infra Red radiation, ye mean, that's why Gold was used on the Luna modules etc.

Gold ship...
www.myfreewallpapers.net...
[One i've always rather liked, from sci-fi.]

And without going into it, technology advances, mainly in sub particle physics, since 2 years ago, means Star Trek type shields are achievable in the not too distant future, we are talking decades if research and development is funded, not centuries, ye all know NASA likes to play everything down like nobody else could possibly know as much as them, so they push these negatives out so people discount the possibility even.

They do know otherwise and it's rather disingenuous of them and rather arrogant and insulting, bit like politicians who think simply because they have control of say, the defence department, nobody else could possibly know what the missile threat analyses are globally, like Liam Fox tries to do, as though they are privy to informations and knowledge nobody else is, so they trot out BS thinking everybody will believe it because only they know, but plenty outside government do actually know. [Sadly, all too many do though.]

Same with some in NASA, do people really accept and believe everything they come out with.

I mean, come on guys, ffs, have ye learnt nothing yet.

Peace.

Thanks for the link i love the gold space ship in fact i liked it so much its my new wallpaper
Also i believe very little of what NASA or our government has to say that's why I'm on ATS they have been keeping us in the dark for eons that's how they want it ..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaPan
Ye may find this interesting, regards why Gold is used in space programmes...

www.google.co.uk...
First document.

Peace.

edit on 18-2-2011 by DeltaPan because: Link to Google doc voided, so replaced with search link for same.

Thanks for the link when i have time i will check it out

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by sugarcookie1

The craft or ship of travel has to generate its own atmosphere and electromagnetic field then reproduction should be fine.

Thanks for your input and of course your right..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
Send me up in a ship with the Swedish bikini team and we will try our damnedest to bring about conception!

LOL sureeeeeee

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Its a bit of a doom laden overly pessimistic article.

The only reason you would need to conceive in a spacecraft would be if you were attempting some sort of generational ship for interstellar travel below light-speed. Thats beyond us currently for a number of other technical reasons.

It would be more appropriately phrased as

"cosmic rays discovered as another hurdle to be overcome in the path to colonising deep space"

We could be on Mars now if we wanted to but we collectively cant be arsed. Lets worry about crossing the road once we've got the gumption to leave the end of the garden.

You have a good point about the article but i didn't write it .."cosmic rays discovered as another hurdle to be overcome in the path to colonising deep space" would have been a better title i agree..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
"If at first you don't succeed... try, try again!"

Good Point

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Nothing wrong with thoughts my brain is always running a million miles an hour..About shielding capabilities by then i would think we would have that all under control but hey im no expert ..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Life always finds a way which was not only said in the movie jurasic park but is true in real life. Life finds a way. If we dont become extinct I believe man will find a way to procreate beyond earth. I have read worthy things about colonizing space using everything from giant astroroids to humangous magnetic fields generated from conducting plasma. There is more on the drawing board to allow mankind to live in space and procreate the problem is 1st the money and 2nd the military keeps all the cool stuff and leave the public two hundred years behind in our tin-kin space program. But, also life is about change not only finding a way. It is possible and can happen someday.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Reactor because: corrections.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
They just need to put shields up. Hell, if that article was written 200 years ago it would simply state "We can't mate in space because we can't get there".

Is there shield technology that we have that is capable of protecting us from radiation? Besides lead walls? Also These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain vulnerable.

Could we even GET to space 200 years ago?

I think you missed my point completely. I'm saying that in 200 years, what the article talks about won't even be a problem probably.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reactor
Life always finds a way which was not only said in the movie jurasic park but is true in real life. Life finds a way. If we dont become extinct I believe man will find a way to procreate beyond earth. I have read worthy things about colonizing space using everything from giant astroroids to humangous magnetic fields generated from conducting plasma. There is more on the drawing board to allow mankind to live in space and procreate the problem is 1st the money and 2nd the military keeps all the cool stuff and leave the public two hundred years behind in our tin-kin space program. But, also life is about change not only finding a way. It is possible and can happen someday.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Reactor because: corrections.

I'm sure there is alot on the drawing board we don't know half of whats going on were kept in the dark..and money I'm sure has to do with alot to do with it.. how do we know that aliens haven't already gave us this technology..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

abovetopsecret.com...

one solution to the problems mentioned in the article. and as has been pointed out in both the article and subsequent response in thread, once we get where we're headed whether it be mars or somewhere else in a traditional space craft, reproduction is no problem.

with a spaceship asteroid, or whatever tech we invent to get around this problem in the next couple of decades, we can reproduce en route if we so choose.

so really.....never=moot

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Its not only the cosmic rays and radiation that would hamper breeding or just being able to have normal body functions in space, but also little things like "gravity" plays an important part in reproduction, and also the atmosphere, and the magnetic field, which sustains life, and the process of life, cell regeneration and all that, biological process such as brain synapses, plus any number of things I cant remember right now, or we just have no clue on.

Or even a simple fact like you wont be able to catch some sun rays like here on earth, it will effect the human body in things like vitamin d synthesis, which would lead to week bones or teeth and whatever else, all you would have to do is look at people in different places were they get lots of sun light, and compare to places were they don't, like Alaska or Britain, which I heard it's cloudy there a lot on that island. And who knows what else really would happen in long term space travel without sun light, and with only manufactured light and vitamins to supplement natural things that you would get from the sun or just from nature here on earth, but there is always something.

But yes on a planet with less gravity and the fetus would develop differently, then on a planet with earth gravity, or if there is to much gravity, ie more then earths and that to would also effect a fetus in different ways, and if there is no gravity, well you would get the picture there could be many deformities. Who knows really. But they probably already did tests on animals like rats or dogs, to see what happens in that scenario and other things and scenarios. Or at least we can only hope they tested some of there theories out, before they send some sucker out there, on a mission to mate, and have a child, just to see what would happen.

What a lot of people don't get is that we really are tailor made for this planet in more ways then we know about at this moment, and we have trouble when we go into different ecosystems, here on earth. Like say if you were to go to Africa, you would have to watch out for all the things like germs, and microbes and disease spreading mosquitoes that are in that place. So how do you imagine it would be on a totally different planet, or synthetic environment like a cramped space ship, and life there for years and years, or even whole lifetimes.

Not saying it cant be done, but it wouldn't just be one thing you would have to adapt to, but many things. And really I do believe we should worry about trying to live on this planet in peace and prosperity, before we go out in space. You know its kind of silly we cant even live in the place we were made to live in without killing each-other or starving to death on mass proportions once every couple of years, so it wouldn't be much "fun" living in a place, like space, which we were not made to live, or adapted to live in, I think for now we got bigger problems then being, a space living species..... Ever seen a fish out of water? It's pretty much the same as how a human out of its element called earth, would look like.
edit on 18-2-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: say cheese.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
sure we can colonize space ,first lets get rid of Nasa.

Who do you propose take NASA's place if we got rid of them?

A Space Exploration Agency.

Something the civilian world hasn't had since 1968.

Click The M2P2 Artificial Magnetosphere Drive Link on this ATS post...

edit on 18-2-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

abovetopsecret.com...

one solution to the problems mentioned in the article. and as has been pointed out in both the article and subsequent response in thread, once we get where we're headed whether it be mars or somewhere else in a traditional space craft, reproduction is no problem.

with a spaceship asteroid, or whatever tech we invent to get around this problem in the next couple of decades, we can reproduce en route if we so choose.

so really.....never=moot

Thanks for the link and yes your right (But once there, underground facilities would prevent bombardment by cosmic particles (Cosmic rays as some would prefer to call it) and solar radiation. So one needs to get an underground facility established first before trying to colonize the planet)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join