It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
"Bones, break out the flasks of stem cells. We've got a little cloning to do before we hit Vega-3. Make it so!"

"By the way, you know all of those BC supplies in Hold #3? Dispatch them back to Earth at your next chance. We can party without those damned nuisances. By the way, send Lt. Stella whatshername around to my cabil ASAP."

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I agree with the points being made in that article,i don't agree with the word "never".
Yes with the current known technology we cannot colonize space,but what happens in 5 or 10 or 20 years from now it is unknown to us.
Besides from what i understood the article is talking about living aboard a ship,what if we find a way to travel to an Earth-like planet.I don't think that we will face those problems there.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Somebody, somewhere, someday will develop an artificial magnetic field, like we have around the Earth, that could surround spacecraft, buildings, and/or people.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Its all a matter of time

Humans are a race of explorers, we'll find a place where we can live just like on earth, We also love to try and do the impossible all the time, its our ego and curiosity that helps us pass any boundy that is set.

By the time we need to use other planets to live on and i am sure we could have the ways and means just to birth people on earth then transport them to another planet.

But until then get me up there in space with many about 100 women till i die and i bet something would give

NASA come get me....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I don't think this is a serious problem for us "at the moment".

They are claiming we'll never colonise space due to these harmful rays but - that's only because, at the moment, we dont know how to artificially generate the protection we need. That isn't to say we never will - just that at the present moment, our technology isn't advanced enough.

I figure by the time we're able to explore space and colonise other worlds in a reasonable fashion, we'll have a much better grasp on gravity, electromagnetism, energy and so on such that the ideas of "force fields" or star trek-esque "shields" will be a reality.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I'm going to assume that they have already gone down the tinfoil underwear rout and found that it didn't work so I'm all out of suggestions for this problem

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
They just need to put shields up. Hell, if that article was written 200 years ago it would simply state "We can't mate in space because we can't get there".

Is there shield technology that we have that is capable of protecting us from radiation? Besides lead walls? Also These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain vulnerable.

no expert but how about a tesla sheild or perhaps some application of orgone technology?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I never thought we were going into space to colonize space in itself but to colonize other planets. While I don't doubt that we will eventually find ways to shield ourselves from cosmic rays a future colony is likely to be based on a world that offers some of the same protection as our own.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A. Life finds a way. (sure, it's a quote from Jurassic Park, but true nonetheless)...

B. Other planets (according to the article) seem fine, so there you go.

C. Never know what new technologies will emerge, such as cosmic ray shielding.

NEVER is a strong word, especially when the article itself admits Mars may be just fine for such efforts.

Funny thing....this actually helps the V storyline (tv show), as it provides a good motivation for their breeding agenda.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Give humans a habitable planet in the goldilocks zone and nature will find a way.

Gold is a better shield against harmful cosmic rays.

It would be cool to see a gold space ship. I bet it would consume most of the earths gold to make it. It would have to be a big ship to carry most of the people on earth. Unless they did a lottery to see who gets on it.

Against Infra Red radiation, ye mean, that's why Gold was used on the Luna modules etc.

Gold ship...
www.myfreewallpapers.net...
[One i've always rather liked, from sci-fi.]

And without going into it, technology advances, mainly in sub particle physics, since 2 years ago, means Star Trek type shields are achievable in the not too distant future, we are talking decades if research and development is funded, not centuries, ye all know NASA likes to play everything down like nobody else could possibly know as much as them, so they push these negatives out so people discount the possibility even.

They do know otherwise and it's rather disingenuous of them and rather arrogant and insulting, bit like politicians who think simply because they have control of say, the defence department, nobody else could possibly know what the missile threat analyses are globally, like Liam Fox tries to do, as though they are privy to informations and knowledge nobody else is, so they trot out BS thinking everybody will believe it because only they know, but plenty outside government do actually know. [Sadly, all too many do though.]

Same with some in NASA, do people really accept and believe everything they come out with.

I mean, come on guys, ffs, have ye learnt nothing yet.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Ye may find this interesting, regards why Gold is used in space programmes...

www.google.co.uk...
First document.

Peace.

edit on 18-2-2011 by DeltaPan because: Link to Google doc voided, so replaced with search link for same.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

The craft or ship of travel has to generate its own atmosphere and electromagnetic field then reproduction should be fine.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Send me up in a ship with the Swedish bikini team and we will try our damnedest to bring about conception!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Its a bit of a doom laden overly pessimistic article.

The only reason you would need to conceive in a spacecraft would be if you were attempting some sort of generational ship for interstellar travel below light-speed. Thats beyond us currently for a number of other technical reasons.

It would be more appropriately phrased as

"cosmic rays discovered as another hurdle to be overcome in the path to colonising deep space"

We could be on Mars now if we wanted to but we collectively cant be arsed. Lets worry about crossing the road once we've got the gumption to leave the end of the garden.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
"Bones, break out the flasks of stem cells. We've got a little cloning to do before we hit Vega-3. Make it so!"

"By the way, you know all of those BC supplies in Hold #3? Dispatch them back to Earth at your next chance. We can party without those damned nuisances. By the way, send Lt. Stella whatshername around to my cabil ASAP."

That was a good one yours was the first post i read upon wakening you gave me a smile and a good laugh thanks!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
"If at first you don't succeed... try, try again!"

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
I agree with the points being made in that article,i don't agree with the word "never".
Yes with the current known technology we cannot colonize space,but what happens in 5 or 10 or 20 years from now it is unknown to us.
Besides from what i understood the article is talking about living aboard a ship,what if we find a way to travel to an Earth-like planet.I don't think that we will face those problems there.

Phantom traveller, I totally agree 5 or 10 or 20 years from now with our technology we will have this figured out if we don't already,I was showing his point of view not necessarily mine..And were finding new things in space now so its possible we will find that earth-like planet..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Somebody, somewhere, someday will develop an artificial magnetic field, like we have around the Earth, that could surround spacecraft, buildings, and/or people.

I wont argue with that i totally agree

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I wish people would stop even remotely considering mars a potential colony. Our first attempt to colonize has to be a ready made planet, not some desolate, useless, trash planet like mars.

NASA sucks....to say radiation makes colonizing impossible is like saying we can't fly... it's only a matter of technology...

Sex in space would be easily done. Not that it's needed. At the point we have create artificial magnetic shielding and better propulsion systems.....yeah.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
Its all a matter of time

Humans are a race of explorers, we'll find a place where we can live just like on earth, We also love to try and do the impossible all the time, its our ego and curiosity that helps us pass any boundy that is set.

By the time we need to use other planets to live on and i am sure we could have the ways and means just to birth people on earth then transport them to another planet.

But until then get me up there in space with many about 100 women till i die and i bet something would give

NASA come get me....

LOL beam me up scotty sheesh a 100 women yeah you would be busy that's for sure ..But yes i agree its just a matter of time ..thanks for the reply

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join