It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 148
<< 145  146  147    149  150  151 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
www.bssaonline.org...

nwgeology.wordpress.com...

gsabulletin.gsapubs.org...

www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

mahabghodss.net...

www.dur.ac.uk...

Found these and there is more I haven't looked at yet on microquake swarms
edit on 5-3-2011 by Swww.sciencedirect.com... ateway&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1666570029&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=44e3f1e2ad56abe cb8adaaab1f85ad95&searchtype=ausanFrey because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Yes, microquakes are usually anything like 2.0 and below, and are USUALLY not felt. In your case, however, this is proving to be one of the exceptions to the rule. Not sure why, but it could be because of the ground composition and your very close proximity to this activity.

This is reminiscent of what we see at Yellowstone from time to time when the swarms hit there. (I guess the Yellowstone thread police are going to come after me now.)

edit on Sat Mar 5th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There are a large amount of New USA maps all over the net. Many poeple seem to believe that the new madrid fault line will split the USA into two, but what if the new madrid and cascadia can be triggered by a super volcanic eruption?

www.youtube.com...

This video shows what may happen if a super volcanic eruption should trigger fault line in te east and the west of the usa.
edit on 5-3-2011 by angelicscorn1 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by angelicscorn1

Well that one shows less flooding than others I have seen.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm new to all this so bear with me

I've been watching the USGS earthquakes 1.0 and up, and since the 2 injection sites were shut down, they've only reported a couple of earthquakes, and yet people keep saying they feel them. I definitely believe Susan, but why are they not reporting them? What can be done about it??

I know I live in Fort Smith but a lot of those things that happen before earthquakes...migraines, heart palpitations...I have many of them, and I have for about 4 days now. I'm not sure it's the earthquakes since I'm so far off but I've definitely been feeling differently.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
You know susan, I was running out the door when I first watched your video. But I though you were holding the video camera. And thought gee she should put it on a table or something. Obviously your camera itself was shaking from the microquakes. Interesting....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Nope it was on the tripod. It's a videomate mini-pro.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for the tips on GEE. I have WHAR up and running now.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

It's been very interesting watching WHAR. I'll be curious to see how it corresponds with what you are feeling.

I really hope this all continues to settle down!!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I'm heading to bed well to try to go to bed. I have a very uneasy feeling that something is coming but hate to think along those lines. Still doing little dances here just hoping I can sleep thru them and clear my head some. Have a great night and see you all in the morning.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Susan, I forget that you are two hours ahead.

Yes, go to sleep!! I hope you can get some sound sleep, and who knows? Perhaps when you wake up in the morning, you won't be swaying anymore and can start to put all of this behind you.

Sweet dreams....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Nah everything will be nice and calm for ya! Sleep tight!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Susan, due to some things I have been reading, I would suggest you contact the Geological Society in Arkansas, and maybe some other known entities like that for professional opinions on what is occurring there. Because at this point I am not convinced it has anything to due with fracking. (Sorry Robin
) In fact, it is unlikely. There is evidence the area has produced very violent earthquakes in the historical past, due to a collision of intraplate tectonic forces. There were earthquake swarms there before any drilling ever occurred, and there will be more, drilling or not- as these opposing forces continue to reshape the landscape over time.

The question is, does one want to risk getting caught in the middle. And that is why I feel it is best you not base any decision on ANYTHING said on this board. Go to the pros, as they can inform you much more in depth and with better guidance.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Quakes, injection wells tied; panel eyes shutdown
savant7.com...

The Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission has called an emergency meeting to consider shutting down two injection wells in Faulkner County that have been linked to earthquakes in the region.

Sorry in advance if this has already been posted...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just wanted to report that local news here in Memphis this morning just did a report on the injection wells being shut down in the Greenbrier and Guy area due to the associated earthquake activity and the 4.7 quake last week. The link between the two is getting out there, and also that this is preventable. So glad MSM here is going with this and reporting on it and making the association between the drilling and earthquakes known here in Memphis so that Tennessee residents can understand what is happening in Arkansas, get p*ss*d off about how it affects us here and demand our govt. get involved, and hopefully put the pressure on Arkansas govt. to keep these wells shut down for everyone's safety. Gotta keep this going, continue to call and email those in our districts to get involved and keep those wells shut down.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Great News.
Bravo to everybody participating in this thread.

Thanks Robin, you are a HERO for starting this thread.
You educated me on many things.

So much awareness has been brought to this issue in the past month. Credit is due to everyone for getting the information out there. Now it cannot be ignored. So awesome.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

No need to apologize. I know you're just trying to seek the truth. But, in truth, I believe you are wrong.

On Friday morning it was announced that they were going to stop the injections. I doubted I would see an immediate change in the nature of the quakes. Because there would be some sort of shut down procedure.

I'm not supersiticious. Even when I was a teenager I would try and get the number 13 for my jersey. I don't believe in luck exactly. And I think there is a rational answer for everything, including the supernatural.

Well, that changed a bit after Friday. I became convinced that if I said the swarm was calming and almost over, something big would occur, and I would be forced to eat my words. It's been obvious there is a difference. The quakes are not as intense. There has been no 3+ magnitude quakes. The last cluster of larger ones was not dramatic.

Susan, and others near Greenbrier have had two nights without any major shaking. Susan is still feeling the ground move. I have no doubt. There will still be a few more quakes around 2+ yet to come. And the ground is still rolling. This is from the injection. And the precipitation that has made the soils saturated.

It's as if the area is like a bath tub. If you drop the soap into a full tub, the waves it produces will bounce off the sides and keep travelling back and forth through the other waves. There are still small tremors to create the waves. The conditions of the soil and the fault still troubles me. I won't elborate.

There is a major difference in siemic activity. I've been watching the activity every day for the last few months and I think I finally see an end in sight for this particular swarm spike. I think, and I'm knocking on wood, that this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the injection wells were causing the swarm.

If the swarm continues to ease and the earthquakes stop. This will be proof. Hard, hard, scientific proof that injection causes earthquakes. I still think the fracking will in time show that it too is a trigger for quakes, but at the moment I have no science on my side. But really, the injection is part of the process in some operations, so how can you split the oily hair. Just days before the annouced shut down, and after the geologists said it could take 6 months to determine if the injection was causing quakes, I was disheartened and wrote a manic tirade.

It was called. Just stop. The word stop just kept running through my head. Stop the injection and watch. It was so simple. Just stop and if the quakes stop immediately, you got a winner. The obvious solution was to stop and then observe the effect. Well, they finally did just that. And look! The quakes are stopping.

Now I've said this aloud. Well, you get it. I don't want anymore quakes and I'm afraid I just jinxed the deal by making this proclaimation. In my mind at least, it's obvious. And it's obvious by Susan being able to sleep through the night without her house shaking. Yes, it's rolling. But things are rattling and falling off the shelves.

I could be wrong. Let's wait and see, and hope.

Holding my breath.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I have been trying and will continue to do so. I know I would not want to be in Scott's Ausbrook's shoes right now, and they either know something that they are not telling us or it is tied into the injection wells or both. They don't want to create panic either way.

Yes still feeling it this morning with a quake a little bit ago. What kind of thermometer would measure temps in the ground, just a regular one or what. I can check the ph in my pond that's not hard to check.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Susan, are your feeling anything extra this morning? The instruments Here and Here are both showing something. Is it windy there?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

We have had some quakes today. Seasick and ears are ringing, trying to ignore it, bouncing in my chair, some have had noise some haven't. I had a hard time getting on WHAR for some reason this morning then finally got it up.

top topics

<< 145  146  147    149  150  151 >>

join