It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voynich Manuscript - Diary Of An Alien Or A Madman? 100 Years Older Than First Thought.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The Voynich manuscript is a handwritten book thought to have been written in the 15th century and comprising about 240 vellum pages,[notes 1] most with illustrations. The author, script, and language remain unknown: for these reasons it has been described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript".[1]

I know this has been discussed here before, but I could not help it.

New discoveries were made in determining the age of this manuscript using Radio Carbon Dating. These discoveries pushed the hypothesized creation date back a century to the early 15th century. Older than they thought.

physorg.com 2/10/2011

Using radiocarbon dating, a team led by Greg Hodgins in the UA's department of physics has found the manuscript's parchment pages date back to the early 15th century, making the book a century older than scholars had previously thought.

An alien language

But a second, closer look reveals that nothing here is what it seems. Alien characters, some resembling Latin letters, others unlike anything used in any known language, are arranged into what appear to be words and sentences, except they don't resemble anything written – or read – by human beings.

The author/illustrator has written in a language that no one has been able to decipher, flora and fauna that no-one can really seem to identify, Astrological maps, pharmaceutical entries, etc...

In my eye's this is right up there with Da Vinci.

Genius.

Are these the ramblings of a madman or something else?

I will start with the picture that shocked me the most. To me, this is on par with the Sumerians knowing things they should not have been able to.

Remember, the telescope was not even invented until the early 17th century. 1608 to be exact.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90206e3f53f4.jpg[/atsimg]

Not that strange? Flip the picture around......

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/717e1f84bd6f.jpg[/atsimg]

Freaky huh?

more:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f3380522568.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3fb7a229d829.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1d3bcdd38e0.jpg[/atsimg]

Script:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/40f23671d7db.jpg[/atsimg]

Pisces:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59d1dbcb9abe.jpg[/atsimg]

Flora:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c68e58c0df0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46a10c6042e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Pharmaceutical:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19bd222a43a0.jpg[/atsimg]

And just plain strange.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/413f20cea42f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5496a3a2c8b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b06699d95d4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/365781871c5c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff423743c3c8.jpg[/atsimg]

sources:

WIKI Entry

Voynich

Physorg.com

edit on 10-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
not sure what to add yet, a lot to take in, except that it appears all of the human looking beings in the liquid type substance in the lower photos all seem to be female

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That's really cool. The last few ones that you noted were "strange" look similar to nerves. I know this is farfetched, but maybe whoever wrote this were trying to indicate that the "voice" in our heads and the "common" sense that we have is exactly that, a voice or a sense that we share with everyone else in a common way.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I bet it had to do with alchemy. Lots of folks were into that back in the day.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It could be the oldest known hoax around.
Bernard Schnitzel could have been the time traveler he claimed to be..lol.. 15th century Schnitzeled

Seriously though, I have never heard of this. Thank you for the information.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
In my eye's this is right up there with Da Vinci.

Perhaps the similarities are no coincidence:

The Voynich Manuscript may have been written by a young Leonardo da Vinci as evidenced by a similarity to Leonardo’s script and signature, an indication of mirror writing, and an astrological chart that corresponds to Leonardo’s birthday. Mistakes in the manuscript point to the possibility that a precocious child could have been the author.

Here is a short paper making the case that Da Vinci may have written the manuscript in his youth.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

There are critics.

From WIKI

The bizarre features of the Voynich manuscript text (such as the doubled and tripled words), the suspicious contents of its illustrations (such as the chimeric plants) and its lack of historical reference support the idea that the manuscript is a hoax. In other words, if no one is able to extract meaning from the book, perhaps this is because the document contains no meaningful content in the first place.

The argument for authenticity, on the other hand, is that the manuscript appears too sophisticated to be a hoax. While hoaxes of the period tended to be quite crude, the Voynich manuscript exhibits many subtle characteristics which only show up after careful statistical analysis.[citation needed] These fine touches require much more work than would have been necessary for a simple forgery, and some of the complexities are only visible with modern tools.[citation needed] The question then arises: why would the author employ such a complex and laborious forging algorithm in the creation of a simplistic hoax, if no one in the expected audience (that is, the creator's contemporaries) could tell the difference?

Don't know?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I recently read an interesting book which infers that the book is a coded version of the original Cathar Bible. I have no idea if true but a fascinating idea nonetheless. According to this book it was apparently smuggled out of Montsegur during the siege by the Crusaders in 1246. It was during this time that the last Cathars were exterminated, however this book contained all their ancient secrets (including details of Atlantis) and was so valuable that once smuggled out it became the founding document of the Knights Templar.

Now before I get flamed for referencing a work of fiction the book was called The Armageddon Conspiracy, and can be freely downloaded from the website of the same name. However what makes it strange is the website purports to be written by a faction of the Illuminati, and those who are aware know that the original Illuminati were a benevolent organisation. This website purports to be representing these guys and through their "coded novels" reveal the true information that we have never been told. Having read the books on offer (there are three) they are either extremely clever fiction, much more so than any Dan Brown book, or they contain some truths, either way they are full of extremely interesting information. At the very least they cause you to question what you know.

armageddonconspiracy.co.uk...

Also the site seems to be backed up by Wes Penre on his site, and his research is superb.

From my own investigations, this would be a plausible explanation, from the wiki above we can see that it is far more than an elaborate hoax, and going to this level of effort would only be necessary if the information was truly important.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Very nice, Thank You!
I've read about this before and appreciate the reminder. Also greatly appreciate the opportunity to get a close look from some quality photos.

From what I remember of it, I was under the assumption it was indeed the work of the aspiring occultist Leonardo.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is one of those topics that always fascinated me , and was one of the reasons I joined ATS as far as I remember
I am still on the fence if this is a hoax or not , but I am leaning towards it not being one . It might be a coded guide book for alchemy purposes (I read about this theory somewhere) or an even more out there theory is that it is a book from an alternative Earth and that is why we do not recognize the language .. It was never invented on this side.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Apparently the plants in this book can't be put to any flora we know, but the last plant image on this page of the book is most certainly a young Mandrake plant, leaves and all!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is very interesting indeed. I love the discoveries of ancient text's, however this one may not be able to be decoded. None the less very cool.

Yesterday I watched two different, but long (one 12 part, the other 5 part) series about the Sumerian's. The 12 part series is a complete English translation, and for anyone that likes this kind of stuff I would highly recommend scooting over to youtube and picking one of the many videos/series regarding Sumerian Tablets.

They documented the solar system, alien life creating humans, Atlantis being destroyed by a nuclear weapon, and so on.... All of this information dating back up to 400, 000 years. You know it really is quite mind blowing how we have been lead this far into future since these advanced ancient/alien civilizations existed here on Earth, and the people leading us have covered up all the evidence or destroyed it. And then there are actual historical tablets like the ones from the Sumerian's that blow 'history' as we know it completely away, and it has been siting right under our noses the whole time. Anyone can read these these texts, but we don't even know they exist. It is insane...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Great find. S&F

Perhaps the guy was a stranded alien who gone mad to having to live with barbaric humans. In his last years of living, he decided to write his memoirs for his family back home.

Or maybe it is an autobiography of an alien abductee. Maybe Alien-Bob took the author for a ride and finally sent him home. Soon after the author starting writing this book about his journey.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
i do hope some of the very learned folks here tackle some of the writings and drawings. if the dating of the book is correct, this is a fantastic find. books just don't survive for that much time unless care is taken to deliberately do so. not ready to go the route of ets writing. if its just juvenile writings of da vinci, that would disappoint me. just wondering that the copious amounts of consistent writing looks to be a language of sorts. aren't there software programs that help scholars parse and translate coded languages? hope to hear from smarter people than me here.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Interesting... I ran across an article on Tuesday that mentioned the 'Voynich Manuscript'

as one of the top-ten unsolved, uncracked Codes in the modern world

snip:

6. Voynich Manuscript is at least 400 years old and is a 232-page illuminated manuscript entirely written in a secret script. It is filled with copious drawings of unidentified plants, herbal recipes of some sort, astrological diagrams, and many small human figures in strange plumbing-like contraptions. In 2004 there were some compelling arguments which described a technique that would seemingly prove that the manuscript was a hoax, but to date, none of the described techniques have been able to replicate a single section of the Manuscript, so speculations continue.

the whole article is found here (i could not post the thread in the desired forum by order of the mods)

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Top 10 uncracked codes

Although the internet has spawned a multi-billion dollar industry in creating and cracking codes, crypologists have yet to solve some of the oldest riddles. Below are ten of the most notable:

Image 1 of 3
The Phaistos Disk is 15cm in diameter and believed to date from 1700BC. A double sided disk of fired clay, it is decorated with symbols on both sides, made by stamps or seals in a spiral pattern Photo: ALAMY
Image 1 of 3The Kryptos sculpture outside CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia
Image 1 of 3The Chinese writing on the bars has been translated, and discusses a transaction in excess of $300,000,000

By Nick Britten 8:30AM GMT 01 Feb 2011
59 Comments ...

All ten are quite intriguing... keep the list and do some threads when you feel like it...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well that fifth picture down (blue and green ball-like structure with spikes) look like a virus under a microscope.

Hmmmmm....

Edit to add pic:

edit on 10-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

The Voynich manuscript is a handwritten book thought to have been written in the 15th century and comprising about 240 vellum pages,[notes 1] most with illustrations. The author, script, and language remain unknown: for these reasons it has been described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript".[1]

Absolutely fascinating read! I've never heard of this before and appreciate you breathing life back into this subject.

Is it me or are some of the pictures very "Crop Circle" like...??

S&F

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
First time I've been able to see the illustrations from the book. I love a good historical mystery and watch the ivory tower types blather about how it's not what you think, a fable, work of fiction, a myth. It's pretty cool to think that even today we can't break the code. Maybe before I die someone will break it.

Thanks for the great post!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

id say madman. you wouldnt be able to read alien writting. they are too advance for this.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was watching a Naked Science on National Geographic episode about the Voynich Manuscript. I had never heard of this before seeing this episode. I was surprised how much speculation there was surrounding this document. It seems the more science figures out about one aspect of the book the more questions are raised in other areas. I have to think that this book isn't an eleborate hoax or fake produced to in the 15th century becuase of the vast length of the book and the interesting drawnings and writings in them...

They had some interesting hypothesises about what the pictures could be, from everything from stars to plant cells. Who ever wrote this book didn't want to have it read.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join