It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things that give you the heebie jeebies but you dont know why

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

Even numbers. Everything has to have an odd number, i.e.: 3 icecubes, 1 scoop of ice cream, 5 pairs of shoes, etc.
reply to post by cwt8466

I have the same issues with even numbers!!! I also prefer left over right, lol. I've had a preference for odd numbers for years now and don't know why.

Even numbers for me... F'r instance, I was putting photos on Facebook, I had 19, so I had to find a number 20, so I put a picture of a clothespin! If I am changing the volume on the TV with the remote, I see the numbers on the screen
15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22- etc and it's got to be 20 or if I want it up loud 45 (numbers over 20 ending in 5, count as 'even' for these purposes...)
Oh, and as to things that give me the heebie jeebies, wet wood.... only plastic salad forks for me, and I have to cover iceblock sticks when eating them.
Vicky

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Takka
I don't like that colour either . Its the colour of the sky on a hot summers day . I Ddon't like summer . Damn heat

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
Oh God...ROACHES... yes, pretty invasive and annoying... which makes the palmetto bug our friend actually.... until the bastards start flying around the room charging you. I find they don't want to come inside near as much as the other little bastards do.

Oh you had to bring up roaches, didnt you?
Lord, I hate them. Rarely get them cause Im kind of a clean freak. I rarely use pesticides, but when I do see a roach, I spray inside and out. I absolutely hate them. Even more that mice!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

Oh God...ROACHES... yes, pretty invasive and annoying... which makes the palmetto bug our friend actually.... until the bastards start flying around the room charging you. I find they don't want to come inside near as much as the other little bastards do.

Oh you had to bring up roaches, didnt you?
Lord, I hate them. Rarely get them cause Im kind of a clean freak. I rarely use pesticides, but when I do see a roach, I spray inside and out. I absolutely hate them. Even more that mice!

I've been seeing roaches and it's driving me crazy. they were in the back of the refrigerator which is so old it's rusted on the outside... I have a problem though because they go under the house and it's hard to get under there because of the way the stupid house is. I put spectricide outside twice and have been using various things inside. i keep seeing them and they are driving me nuts.

I have been getting rid of stuff because this place is old and the problem with roaches is they can live off of wood so if you don't overhaul some old places, they are hard to completely get rid of even if you get the numbers down by spraying. I want to see NO roaches.... none. I want them nowhere near me because they piss me off. I have them bastards on the run though... they all must die. I have to get rid of all debris and wood and leaves and all that BS from around my house and it's a lot of work. I even have leaves up on my roof.... lots of them.

Right now I am building a bed though... holy crap i have a lot to do. I just threw my old mattress out because it was old enough to be making me feel weird. I'm going from a big ass queen sized mattress to a small twin air mattress. i loved my big ass bed but it was a pain the ass and it was in my way.

I have been trying to minimize for years now... that # takes time unless you just start blindly throwing stuff away. I have gotten rid of so much stuff and still feel like I have too much. Who wants to throw away everything though, right? Hell... i just threw away my big ass mattress and the footboard and cut the posters off the headboard. It used to bea four poster... it used to be pretty nice. Now it's going to be a nice small high air daybed i can vacuum under constantly. I'm using the headboard as the back. I'm painting black. I'm painting a lot of stuff because if bare wood is a little soft or splintered... it's roach food. Remember that... of and don't EVER keep unpainted baskets around....or even cardboard.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I wish i lived in a block or brick house. grrrr! I hate roaches... they are so ballsy... they just walk right in like "hey, what's up...what's for dinner...get the # outta my way or I'll crawl on you!"

Freeloading bastards.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I wish i lived in a block or brick house. grrrr! I hate roaches... they are so ballsy... they just walk right in like "hey, what's up...what's for dinner...get the # outta my way or I'll crawl on you!"

Freeloading bastards.

- Sounds like you seriously need to get a new refrigerator. That will probably take care of a lot of the roach problems.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
reply to post by The Djin

Ha ha I don't know who she is but sounds like she would have her work cut out!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I've had a number of things irrationally freak me out over the years. Can't think of them all since I've had a long period of tranquility from "the weird stuff" following my last move, but one that stands out is a lifelong fear of seeing a pair of shoes facing the same direction. They just send a chill through me and I have to kick them apart so one is facing the opposite direction. It's like I subconsciously "see" an entity in the shoes and they'll walk towards me if I allow them to stay in that position. Sometimes it's so intense I can't function unless I fix it, but hopefully I've outgrown it; it's been a couple years since I last felt the urge. The only thing I can connect it to in my memory is an instance when I was 2 or 3 years old and I can remember a pair of my Mary Janes (nursery school shoes - I started at age 2 and a half) in the center of the kitchen floor. No other associated memories of the time - just the sight of the shoes. Weird. Maybe something significant/traumatizing happened that day but I'll never know.

Until a little over a decade ago I thought I was the only one with an irrational fear of open closet doors. It's bad enough that if I happen to fall asleep in a room with the closet door even slightly ajar, without even being consciously aware that it is, I'll wake up in a panic and I can't settle down until I get up and close it. I have no associated memories of closet doors and in fact I don't remember having this phobia until well past adolescence.

There's this other "thing" that I've had since early childhood but I've never been able to adequately describe it. It used to come with some frequency up until my twenties, I think (maybe earlier, maybe later), but it eventually trickled down and disappeared. The best I can describe it is a kind of sensation with physical properties (color, texture). It's gray and rough, like a wall or an old blanket. The sensation would just come on out of the blue, with no obvious trigger, and I could never get "close" enough to clearly recognize it, but it would fill me with such dread and panic that I was always aware that it was somehow significant. Understand, I never actually saw anything, it was like my brain would try to translate a feeling into a picture, and that was what I'd get. Kinda useless trying to explain, I guess, but I've always wished someone could tell me what it was...

Dead insects are my biggest remaining phobia. I swear, I'm far less creeped out by 'live' ones because at least I know there's a chance they'll move on on their own. Dead roaches, flies, bugs.. ugh! I can't go near them, not even to sweep/vacuum up. Someone else has to do it. I'm the same way with bodily fluids, which is why I don't have kids. Venturing into heart attack territory at the mere thought of touching such... Yeah, I guess I'm pretty weird...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
little girls speaking like men, or demons. As in the exorcist film. Hate that, not that i have witnessed it in real life. And clowns. Must been the choice of movie i watched as a kid, It and the Exorcist. I also go faint at the site of needles

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

Afraid of a color, very interesting. I'm not afraid of colors, but I'll tell you some things I am afraid of:

1.) Dark windows. Doesn't matter if you're inside the house or outside. Scares the living daylights out of me that someone or something can be watching you and you just can't see it.

2.) The woods, especially at night. I won't go near 'em. (I used to love camping too, shame.)

3.) Stairs descending into darkness. In my apartment, I've got stairs that go up to the bedrooms/master bath. At night when all the lights are off, and you stand on top of the stairs and look down, you can't see anything. Makes it almost look like the stairs go on forever. Not that that's scary really, but the fact that it feels like someone or something is standing on the landing looking up at me. I had to install a light switch upstairs so I can control the hallway light downstairs.

4.) Leaving the bathroom door open when showering. When I shower, the door is directly to my right. I'm not the only one who's commented on this. It feels like someone is standing watching you from the doorway opening. Even when the door is closed. My girlfriend swore to me she saw a guy standing leaning against the frame. I also had a friend visit for a couple of weeks, at the end of his stay he told me that he felt like someone was in the door way looking at him, and he had to look over to his right to double check quite a few times.

5.) CRT and LCD monitors, televisions switched off. It used to be pretty bad at one point where I had to cover them with a towel/blanket.

These are just a couple.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
1.) Dark windows. Doesn't matter if you're inside the house or outside. Scares the living daylights out of me that someone or something can be watching you and you just can't see it.

Often people use black mirrors, like dark glass to use in some form of scrying or something.

Often mediums would use a dark mirror for this, or one could in theory use a dark window. So in theory you may be scared of something other than the darkness outside, it may be your subconscious.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Not sure why...

But quite often street lights turn off when I walk past or under them.

Not all the time, but enough to make me wonder. A few times a year, more than statistical odds would account for such peculiarities.

There was a period of time in the 90's, about 4 years,when I would notice streetlights going out, a lot, when I was driving at night. At first it made me wonder. I took my car in to have the headlights aimed properly because I thought maybe I had a high beam that was aimed wrong and that was triggering the sensor on top of the street light to turn off.

There was nothing wrong with my headlights though. After that I moved to a rural area that had no streetlights and stopped seeing it so I stopped thinking about it.

Since then I read stories about ufo's following people and the uv or ir light spectrum that we dont see is triggering the sensors on lamp posts and turning them off.

Now, if I see a lone lamp post when I'm driving alone at night I get this little nagging thought in the back of my mind that it's going to turn off.

(Turn up the radio and keep driving......turn up the radio and keep driving......turn up the radio and keep driving.....)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Not sure why...

But quite often street lights turn off when I walk past or under them.

Not all the time, but enough to make me wonder. A few times a year, more than statistical odds would account for such peculiarities.

This happens to me often as well... at least once every two weeks. As I approach a street light it will turn off right before I pass underneath it: whether I'm in a car or walking. I actually didn't think anything of it until I just read this.

Cuz I'm one to always contemplate rational reasons for things (which usually end up making perfectly good sense to me, but don't make any sense to other people), I just assumed that not every street light can be on all the time, so occasionally they flicker out for a predetermined amount of time to... recharge or something... And I just happen to be passing underneath it at the time. This answer totally satisfies me, even though I'm totally just making up that street lights are shutting off to recharge. xP

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
1. black old telephones
2. some buildings or churches
3. Teletubbies
4. black trays with russian style flowers painted on them
5. Barney the dinosaur
6. some baby dolls
7. praying mantis
8. Brer rabbit
9. Velveteen rabbit
10. Charlottes Webb

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

Some of these streetlamps have a bi-metallic strip that acts as a thermostat. When the light gets too hot it turns off the lamp until the light cools and then it will start back up. This is in the bulbs and depends on the make and type. No doubt this phenomenon occurs occasionally and more so on warm nights.

However,
It does seem curious that it always seems to occur just as someone walks or drives by. I can honestly say I've never seen a street lamp turn off when it was more than say 50 meters away from me but I've seen dozens turn off when I was nearly under or right underneath them.

It is a strange little issue.
edit on 6-2-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So xFloggingMaryx is inadvertently making street lamps hot.
That's an interesting gift.

I wouldn't be too concerned until they start making cat calls.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sk8erchick

Regarding the movie ET...I feel exactly the same way! It was one of the few movies that I got to see in the theater as a kid. It was supposed to be this happy thing with all of the neighborhood kids seeing the movie together, but I was terrified from the garage scene on. It was summer and HOT so when we came home from the theater at night all of our windows were open for a cooling breeze (Crazy to think that we did that back then). I was scared of the crickets outside my window convinced that the summer night sounds meant ET was coming to mess my life up.

Add to that he was ugly and the move was heavily promoted with weird little ugly creature things everywhere for like a year afterward. Not my favorite movie or memory.

Close Encounters on the other hand or Star Wars....I loved those movies. It was ok to be scared in certain places.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is an awesome thread OP.!!

Right my fears, i never really thought about it but i actually have a few.

Number 1: Horses....urgh..we used to have mounted police were i live till they got rid of them and i literelly used to jump through the nearest door when one came down the street coz them police horses were huuuuge.

Number 2: Porcelain dolls, all other dolls are fine, but porcelain dolls just freak me the hell out for no reason..they just do

Number 3: Any body of water i cannot see the bottom of..

Number 4:As a previous poster said dark windows freak me out i always feel somebody is looking in at me, thats why i usually have the curtains closed or lights off so i can see through the window

Number 5: feet or hands off end of bed...i know nobody is going to grab me and i dont have an under the bed but it freaks me out anyway

Number 6: Weird unexplaneable noises. have you been sat there in your house all alone and you hear a noise upstairs or in the kitchen etc and you have no idea what it is....i know there must be a rational explenation but i just cant find the source for some of these random noises

Number 7: The French

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rayleo
reply to post by sk8erchick

...ET was coming to mess my life up.

.... I'm sorry, that made me bust out laughing. That's hysterical.

I saw that movie in the theatre and me and my family liked it so much we turned around and went right back into the theatre to watch it again. Seriously. That is the only time that has ever happened... even at the dollar movie.

It's funny because after the movie ET was everywhere. My parents worked for people who owned a doughnut shop and they had this weird son that talked funny... he was a very nice guy though. He was older but still lived at home and he made wood sculptures with chainsaws and such out of trees he cut down in his yard and he made many ET sculptures and would sit them in the donut shop to sell.... then one day he cut down a tree with a double trunk, you know? Like two trees grew together... and after he cut it and looked at the rings on the inside he noticed how the rings (because there were two sets of rings since it was a double trunk tree)... the rings looked like ETs eyes...and a slice of the tree kind of looked like ETs head.... so this dude cut one inch slices of that tree and sold them in the doughnut shop... no #, true story. I kid you not. That # really #ing happened.

Some people bought them... some people just walked in and stared at them and started looking around real concerned-like. Crazy times!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
Oooooh, I just remembered one! Remember back when tv stations used to go off the air at night? I suppose some of them still do, but most don't. Anyway, that terrified me to the point that I wanted to run and hide. This was when I was younger, but I remember it well. I had a friend who was equally freaked out by it.

HMMMM ME TOO!!! OMG I can still remember no matter if I had the volume allllll the way down or barely audible that damn thing would be blaringly obnoxiously LOUD! That BBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! I remember always waking up freaking out like literally almost peeing my pants when that would happen!

To you for bringing those horrid memories back, omg. AND OMG the dark shadows soundtrack but I know why that creeped me my sister used to lock me in our dark shared bedroom and played that record and it terrified me (the music IDK why it did then) But now I know why it does, finally I did get smart and brave and walked my little tush over to that record player, alllllllll the way across the room where it sat on her dresser and that room seemed huge to me a kid of like four? maybe. Anyway I took the little arm and started to scratch the needle all across that S***!!!!!
HAHA take that SIS!!!! Boy she was ticked
I was overjoyed
LOL. What an evil sister! Anyway till this day if I hear any of the tunes from that show, I will go berserk!!! Oh and mirrors at night OMG that's another, but only since I started the pagan thing because they explain it can be a doorway/portal to other dimensions and the other side/ ghosts etc. Entities of all kinds can come through mirrors! And that is not superstition, You can look into other dimensions through mirrors/scrying.
OH AND THESE GUYS!!!!!

edit on 6-2-2011 by ldyserenity because: link

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join