It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
uh huh hem...one night in a near early expiration date experience for myself in associaion with an abortion, an audible voice as if sitting beside me said my name then "I am Jesus, I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish"

*no responses of false accusations and slander are being accepted at this time, they are old, predictable and I've heard just about near every one that can possibly be thunk of
edit on 2-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by Student X

I'm not interested in mysticism or what it has to offer.

Well, you should be. Comparative mysticism is to understanding religion as comparative anatomy is to understanding evolution. There are underlying patterns and consistencies and laws which only deep and systematic comparison can reveal. By ignoring entire fields of study, atheists are just wallowing in willful ignorance. ATS is about denying ignorance.

"No one, as far as I know, has yet tried to compose into a single picture the new perspectives that have been opened in the fields of comparative symbolism, religion, mythology, and philosophy by the scholarship of recent years. The richly rewarded archaeological researches of the past few decades; astonishing clarifications, simplifications, and coordinations achieved by intensive studies in the spheres of philology, ethnology, philosophy, art history, folklore, and religion; fresh insights in psychological research; and the many priceless contributions to our science by the scholars, monks, and literary men of Asia, have combined to suggest a new image of the fundamental unity of the spiritual history of mankind. Without straining beyond the treasuries of evidence already on hand in these widely scattered departments of our subject, therefore, but simply gathering from them the membra disjuncta of a unitary mythological science, I attempt in the following pages the first sketch of a natural history of the gods and heroes, such as in its final form should include in its purview all divine beings--not regarding any as sacrosanct or beyond its scientific domain. For, as in the visible world of the vegetable and animal kingdoms, so also in the visionary world of the gods: there has been a history, an evolution, a series of mutations, governed by laws; and to show forth such laws is the proper aim of science."
-Joseph Campbell

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by GhostLancer

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by GhostLancer
One last thought: it does take a measure of FAITH to *believe* that there isn't more to this world that what we can hold in our hands or see with our eyes or taste with our tongues or smell with our noses or hear with our ears, IMHO.

I don't believe I've ever heard any atheist claim that the world is strictly limited to what we can detect with our five senses. In fact, that has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

I never made any claims about aetheists claiming the world is strictly limited by our senses. It was just a statement.

I quoted what you actually said and then paraphrased it.
Either way, atheists don't believe any such thing. Others claim they do.

It's getting a bit ridiculous, actually, for one person to be claiming he or she knows what an entire group does or does not believe. How about we just speak for ourselves? Saying that one group does or doesn't believe this or that starts the whole over-generalization/sweeping-statements snowball. I'm sure there are some people out there who believe in a higher power who also share some views/opinions with aethiests and vice versa. Maybe, maybe not.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Christian Voice

Quote: [Wow, I mean Wow. It really physically hurts you to type out C.H.R.I.S.T. doesn't it?"]

Where's the point in this recurrent comment? Some equalent to "your spelling is bad, so ....", as I see regularly from evangelists (about whom it can be complained, that their semantics and syntax are terribly bad).

IAMIAM

Quote: [" Not to be too technical my friend, but God kills everyone. Every person on earth will die, eventually. God is the giver and taker of life."]

It's 99,99999999% certain, that every biological organism dies. As to why and decided by whom it's only guesses.

Quote: ["Turning the other cheek is a doctrine which ends violence"]

We just have to do something about the psycho- and sociopaths first.

Quote: ["Ghandi's movement was a small success in India, Dr. Kings movement was a small success in America, Christ's will be the greatest success involving the whole world."]

And Hitler's movement in Germany, Stalin's in Russia, McCarthy's in US (and my irritating neighbour's here, but that's digressing), were even greater successes.

Quote: ["Just as I cannot prove that God exists in your mind, you cannot prove that you are not a friend in mine. It is called belief."]

Almost. It's a sub-category of belief more precsiely defined as 'faith'.

Condemned0625

Quote: [" The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one true god who shows mercy to those by not killing them when they display hatred towards pasta."]

Axiomatically as true, that as everybody die eventually. Also demonstrating the importance of setting up functional parameters and methodologies from the start.

Quote from post to IAMIAM: ["If you're such a good man, then realize that calling me your "friend" is offensive and also makes me laugh at such nonsense."]

I was irritated about this also in the beginning. These days I just bash IAM, when he starts god-bothering me. We get along fine.

Intrepid

Quote: [" Both stubborn. I haven't seen anything like a solution other than Christs words there. "Turn the other cheek."]

According to some buddhist myth, Buddha, in an earlier incarnation, voluntary gave his body as food to a tigress with kittens. Does that count?

Quote: ["What it takes though is a certain amount of tolerance to achieve something better for everyone."]

Sure, but most people want results yesterday. Sometimes I even get the impression, that doomsday'ers and new-agers look forward to the big kaboom to happen as soon as possible.

Quote: [" Originally posted by Annee
Lets deal in facts. First off Atheism is not a belief.

Prove it then."]

Oh, oh. Burden of proof. Go look at inductive categorization first.

Quote: ["Logic is what rules."]

A good starting-point would then be the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning.

Noncompatible

Quote: ["The burden of proof lies with you. If you understand the concept of Occam's razor you already know why."]

Obviously next-to-none here is really interested in the problem of -burden-of-proof.

edit on 2-2-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

You didn't even read the rest of it, did you? You just read the first one with a closed mind and immediately said "Nope! It's all wrong! Every bit of this website is entirely wrong!", right? Sounds like what christians do when a different religion is presented to them.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The Fear God scripture that is listed translates into "respect" God, not the same meaning you think it is.

Even if this is correct we still have to consider the consequences for not respecting/fearing this god. Whatever you decide to call the crime the penalty is the same -= eternity of torture .

So if the claims are true then this god of yours doesn't need to demand and to be feared as it's actions toward the individual illicit fear.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I got news most of it is soo chocked full of bias it;s a joke. Simple stuff like our Sun and planets moving in a spiral. The spiral is found in EVERYTHING.

And that is where you are totally wrong. If most of science is wrong, then that must mean that reality and existence function magically. Your assertions are chocked full of bias and they are jokes. I find it funny how you claim that the elites are trying to "prevent" humanity from discovering particular pieces of information. SCIENCE is found in EVERYTHING. Every single occurrence in the universe can be explained scientifically, no matter what it is. Philosophical arguments and poetic-like stories do not completely explain how things work.

If I'm so wrong then where is our free energy devices? I can list accusation after accusation made against the science community to suppress information? You think I'm talking about creation stuff NO!

What about Tesla .. What about keely? You are really clueless and you should stop while your ahead. And I say that with the softest tone. You really are ignorant to the situations I refer to. I can list 1000's of suppressed inventions. Why do you think a college degree is called a degree and a Master Mason receives a 33rd degree ? The unseen hand is in everything. To keep us down. That is what I speak of. What say ye now? I'm betting you have a whole lot of living to do. One day I would bet you change your mind on some of the things you have said here today.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I think the reason why athiests are being attacked is because the attackers feel that athiests are nothing more than prideful cowards too afraid to face their own humanity and attempt to believe in something, so to hide from it all, and live in their own bubble is much easier and convenient.. This way they don't have to feel guilty anymore for thier feelings.. Except that deep down I doubt it is working because they just become more bitter and hardened as life continues, as evidenced by them taking the time to attack people who DO believe in a God..

This is a mad circle that keeps on rolling along,,, Christians attacking athiests, and athiests attacking Christians... It is just one of lifes entertaining merry go rounds

Okay, I was being unfair and unbalanced there, but just having some fun with this.... I have a lot of friends who are athiest, but I never try and tell them anything unless they actually ask and inquire about my thoughts on existence first...

In fact, today I told a friend who is an athiest, that if God does exist, then maybe he will bring athiest's spirit to his presence (when they die) , except that he will make himself appear to them as a giant spaghetti monster just to see their reaction.. ( prior to judgement)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

uh huh hem...one night in a near early expiration date experience for myself in associaion with an abortion, an audible voice as if sitting beside me said my name then "I am Jesus, I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish"

Did the voice happen to mention which jesus it was claiming to be ?

What if the voice said I am Allah, would you have accepted it with the same conviction ?

*no responses of false accusations and slander are being accepted at this time, they are old, predictable and I've heard just about near every one that can possibly be thunk of

Its quite predictable for xtians to kick shins and run so stick around and show us how strong your faith is.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

Disbelieving a subject due to the lack of evidence is ignorance? What, you want me to accept everything, just in case? I can just as easily say that you are wallowing in your own ignorance for ignoring critical analysis of your beliefs.

By ignoring entire fields of study, atheists are just wallowing in willful ignorance. ATS is about denying ignorance.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm denying your ignorance and the ignorance of others. You think I'm ignorant and I think you're ignorant. You think you're right and I think I'm right. If you don't see the problem here, your argument is pointless to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

No god said you would "die" he said nothing about putting people in hell.. That was Dante 200 years ago and infected the church world by means of the catholic church with stories of hell. The hell mentioned in the new testament was really talking about where the maggots never die and the fire never goes out simply was referring to the pit in the city where they burned bodies.

If you embrace the Charge of God through his manifestation you will live on into other dimensions. If you reject it you just die. The stories of Hell or a lie and just silly. The people that study the original Hebrew very closely all come to the same conclusion.

The old testament never ever mentions Hell. And if there was a hell wouldn't God have said so when he laid out the Ten Commands? I mean that would be pretty important wouldn't it?

But nothing is mentioned of it because it's a lie. Believe in the Son of God and you will live forever that's it. No or else I wil kill you. You think God is saying love me or I will kill you and torture you? That's just dumb. And people that believe that crap are just misinformed.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm denying your ignorance and the ignorance of others.

That makes no sense. You are the one who is maintaining a willful ignorance of entire fields of study which are vital to understanding religion. I am not ignorant of them because I am studying them. You are not.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin

Atheism is not a belief it is a lack of.

If time and energy were not spent by the nonbelievers challenging religious beliefs then more than likely gays would still be being stoned to death and little girls burned as witches.

It is the duty of every person with a modicum of independent thought to challenge the ridiculous, unscientific and often times repugnant beliefs that others would impose upon them.

Indeed, is the genital mutilation of little boys and girls less important an issue than teenage pregnancy ?

Left unchallenged could we not see the resolution to teenage pregnancy being a girls clitoris being removed with a razor blade ?

If those that run the economy happen to believe that the forced labor of another human being is an acceptable part of maintaining that economy , do we let this go unchallenged ?

So long as my childrens' education is being hampered by those that would groom them to accept their cult I for one would certainly call that a conspiracy well worthy of serious debate and discussion here on ATS. If not what is ATS for ?

And how do we know abrahamic religions have not been altered and completly degenerated over the centuries and millenia that have passed? Are you aware that many controversial books have been banned early on?

Books banned by the Council of Laodicea

Barnabas
I Clement
II Clement
Christ and Abgarus
The Apostles' Creed
I Hermas-Visions
II Hermas-Commands
III Hermas-Similitudes
Ephesians
I Infancy
II Infancy
Mary
Magnesians
Nicodemus
Paul and Seneca
Paul and Thecla
Philippians
Philadelphians
Polycarp
Romans
Trallians
Letters of Herod and Pilate
The First Book of Adam and Eve
The Second Book of Adam and Eve
The Secrets of Enoch
The Psalms of Solomon
The Odes of Solomon
The Fourth Book of Maccabees
The Story of Ahikar
The Testament of Reuben
Asher
Joseph
Simeon
Levi
Judah
Issachar
Zebulum
Dan
Naphtali
Gad
Benjamin

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Right I looked at the first one and was back home , my old study grounds. It's why I can give an answer and most cant. So your right and your wrong because have been on ATS for years and I'm not just saying this....

I have spent a great deal of time on all those sites you listed. And I can rip that rubbish to shreds. You know why? Because I studied and did my homework. Unlike most of you here. Who just have "decided" what you believe because you don't like the flavor of mainstream religion. Well I got news for you. I DESPISE religion. Understanding the universe has a creator and he made a way for us to commune with him has 0 to do with a creator. I'm not sure if you are even capable of understanding this because of what you hold in your heart. Forget the web sites and seek for your own self.
edit on 2/2/2011 by firegoggles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

There is rumor of "Black Op" missions to the ark. It is said they recovered "high technology".

It is said ??? Who said it exactly ?

Noahs ark contained DNA material and animals to survive on during the deluge only. Don't be silly thiking all the animals in a world or part of the world could fit on a boat. Your kidding right?

Dude, why the hell would you need to build a boat as big as the freaking titanic to carry something that a dealer could carry up his rectum ?

Pleas tell me you are just kidding right ?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Now you're accusing me of being totally clueless about suppressed inventions. Do you have any evidence that I haven't done any research on this for the past 5 years? In case you didn't know, I know very much about government cover-ups and suppressed technology. Tesla, cold fusion, photo-voltaic paint, hydrogen-powered cars, anti-gravity propulsion, a completely oil-free society with renewable energy, all suppressed by governments for the sake of money and profit. Don't even get me started on this kind of stuff because I probably know a lot more about it than you. I have hundreds of pages, documents, links to websites and bookmarks about it. There's a problem though: This has nothing to do with religion and gods. Why did you change the subject?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I can prove that right here, right now.

Atheism - 1. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
2. rejection of belief in God or gods.

Done.

edit on 2/1/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

You left one out- 3. Belief there is no God.

If you believe there is no God, it is a "Belief". There is simply no honest way around that.

Silly argument though. One often used, but silly all the same. There is no way for anyone to know there is no God anywhere in the Universe(s), so believing there is no God can not be proven anymore than proving there is a God. You can't prove it, you simply believe it to be true.

I've always seen that argument as meaningless no matter which side it comes from. It's like the go to argument when people realize that this is an argument for which there are no definitive answers. There are however people who think because they believe it that having no proof does not matter, simply because they believe it. Works the same for both sides.

In the end though, it boils down to you either -
1- Believe there is a God or Higher Power.
2- Are an Atheist and believe there is no God or Higher Power.
3- Are an Agnostic and admit you don't know.

The first two are by definition Beliefs and the third is the only option that is not a belief. To argue otherwise is just to argue for arguments sake.

Then we come to those who want to do away with Religion because they don't believe, which I think is more on topic here. They believe there is no God, but that is not good enough and they want to force those who do believe in God to believe the same as they do.

Personally, I think many if not most threads on Religion here are products of hatred from both sides. The same meaningless arguments and expressions of hate chewed so many times it's long ago lost it's flavor.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The psychotic masses are going.... we'll, more psychotic lately.

It's to be expected with the way the world seems to be destabilizing.

You ain't seen nothing, yet....

reply to post by Blaine91555

Good post!

Fully agree. The best we can say is we know we know not. This is why I'm a hardcore agnostic, though seem to come off by many psychotic theists as being atheist, and by many psychotic atheists as believing in God, lol.
edit on 2-2-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

link   
Its ALL about money

edit on 2-2-2011 by RUSSO because: its all about money

link   

Understanding the universe has a creator and he made a way for us to commune with him has 0 to do with a creator.

Needless to say, in the entire history of mankind your god has proven itself to be the worst communicator of all time.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join